Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Mate, I've seen it and most people probably have but I'd spoiler most of that.

Pet Sematary (2019)
Preferred to the original. The tone was nicely dark, quite suspenseful at times, good acting. The original had some silly character motivations and this lessened that a bit, which was good. However, not scary at all, very slow and the final act could have been a comedy 6/10
I have done , can you remove the bit I have spoilered :)

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

Something about this film stays with you long after watching.

9/10

53MLCro.gif

MBPPC1Q.gif

Speaking of Bonnie and Clyde, anyone seen Highwaymen?

6.5 cocks up

The Wickerman

I've not seen this in years and thought I'd give it a watch. It might have lost some of it's original creepiness due to Christianity being less forced on people these days, but that in itself adds an extra layer of strangeness. It's very much of it's time, but it still holds up today. A genius creepy weird horror, with Christopher Lee in great form and Edward Woodward(not that one!) carrying the whole thing with his straight laced cop out of his depth in a place he does not belong. Britt Eklund got very naked and danced around, it's worth seeing just for that. Although in HD you can now see the people dancing nude in the fields weren't nude at all. The outrage!

9/10

Road House

It's genuinely awful in almost every conceivable way. Yet it's also brilliant in it's terribleness. It's like the 80's impregnated itself and this was the baby. Patrick Swayze plays the world's best bouncer. Known throughout the land for his bouncing, he gets hired to go to a different bar to bounce. Chaos ensues. I don't even know how to explain it, it's fecking mental yet fecking brilliant while being fecking shite. It's the film version of Faustino Asprilla. All the women look like they were ordered from a catalogue. Sam Elliott was old even back then and had a very different voice. Trying to explain it has broken my mind slightly, it's weirder than The Wickerman!

Patrick Swayze wanders the streets in it wearing a karate gi tucked into a pair of jeans like it's a shirt at times. That's how mental it is.

I haven't got a clue/10

Road House

It's genuinely awful in almost every conceivable way. Yet it's also brilliant in it's terribleness. It's like the 80's impregnated itself and this was the baby. Patrick Swayze plays the world's best bouncer. Known throughout the land for his bouncing, he gets hired to go to a different bar to bounce. Chaos ensues. I don't even know how to explain it, it's fecking mental yet fecking brilliant while being fecking shite. It's the film version of Faustino Asprilla. All the women look like they were ordered from a catalogue. Sam Elliott was old even back then and had a very different voice. Trying to explain it has broken my mind slightly, it's weirder than The Wickerman!

Patrick Swayze wanders the streets in it wearing a karate gi tucked into a pair of jeans like it's a shirt at times. That's how mental it is.

I haven't got a clue/10
:lol:

Clouds of Sils Maria - Man, Kristen Stewart was so hot in this one, maybe even hotter than in Personal Shopper. The film...it was decent with some tour de force performances but I don't think it explored anything that hadn't already been covered in other films or in Assayas' own Irma Vep from 18 years earlier. Big ups for using the Cloud Phenomena of Maloja silent short though.

Clouds of Sils Maria - Man, Kristen Stewart was so hot in this one, maybe even hotter than in Personal Shopper. The film...it was decent with some tour de force performances but I don't think it explored anything that hadn't already been covered in other films or in Assayas' own Irma Vep from 18 years earlier. Big ups for using the Cloud Phenomena of Maloja silent short though.

Would appear he has a thing for 'examining 'humanity' behind fame culture'.

Recently saw a Finnish war movie, Tuntematon sotilas.

Well made. In Finnish so subtitled.

Last edited:
Solaris (2002)

I haven't seen the original 1972 movie yet, so I can't compare that film and this remake. Anyway... Natasha McElhone was great - she's really enigmatic, which makes for a perfect 'ghost'. Strange, but I actually found her unnerving sometimes, even though she was a victim and not a villain. I'm sure the Tarkovsky version is miles better (given its classic status) but this film was really intriguing and thought-provoking to me.

8.5/10

The Outsiders (1983)

There are seemingly a dozen superstars featured here before they became famous. It’s remarkable in retrospect. The least important actor or director went on to be the Karate Kid. I struggle to think of a parallel.

It is difficult to rate, as everyone I know had to study the novel in school as well as the minor matter of it being based in my hometown.

14.0125/20

Arrival (2016)
A linguist is enlisted by the U.S. Army to discover how to communicate with aliens who have arrived on Earth, before tensions lead to war.
Amazing.

9/10

Annihilation was a flaccid genre thriller masquerading as art house.

If Beale Street Could Talk - bits and pieces of a great film orbit the emotional and dramatic blackhole at the centre of this film; namely the very attractive, very earnest and pretty dull leading couple played by Stephen James and Kiki River. Supporting characters, like Regina King and Brian Tyree Henry, come in and out and suggest more interesting avenues this film could have pursued. It looks amazing and I can't fault any of the craft, although I could see why the sanitisation of 70s New York may rile some..

I just watched this one and pretty much agree with all of this.