Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Perfect Date
To save up for college, Brooks Rattigan creates an app where anyone can pay him to play the perfect stand-in boyfriend for any occasion. Bang average rom-com with a few laughs here and there but feels like it was made via a Netflix algorithm 4/10

Bumblebee
The best of the Transformers films, which is damning with faint praise. It was quite good and much, much better than the others. Unlike the Michael Bay films the action is quite clear and you can actually make out when Transformers are kicking the shit out of each other. The teen drama is still a needless distraction, but the action and Cybertron bits are very good.

It was very watchable and it's allowed me to pretend the other Transformers films never happened.

7/10

Figured I'd ask here instead of the dedicated thread for fear of spoilers : based on what I read I should see the Avengers movie in Imax format? Or does it not matter? (also 3d available) .

Now You See Me (2013)
An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money, attempting to bring them to justice.
Enjoyable nonsense.

6.5/10

Figured I'd ask here instead of the dedicated thread for fear of spoilers : based on what I read I should see the Avengers movie in Imax format? Or does it not matter? (also 3d available) .
I'd just stick with picking a cinema that has comfortable seats and turns the air conditioning on, mate. That thing is over 3 hours long, so comfort is the main thing.

I'd just stick with picking a cinema that has comfortable seats and turns the air conditioning on, mate. That thing is over 3 hours long, so comfort is the main thing.

I second this. Couldn’t get tickets to the my usual odeon lux cinema with the fancy recliners on opening night, so went to a bog standard showcase. Came out the cinema with a square arse and dead legs. I should have just waited for isense seats.

The theatre closest to me has fully powered reclining seats in every single part of the theatre..footrests and everything, motion etc too in many of em. Shows imax with laser projectors and with atmos on several screens, 3d on several and regular. All individual recliners with food and drink service. You ll get it in the UK eventually.

Yeah, you can almost feel, smell and taste everything.
Typical Swede, sniffing other mans swim trunks.

On the real, ever since seeing Call me by your name I've been dreaming of a Northern Italy trip.

BlacKKKlansman One of Lee's best. Combines humor and period racism nicely and that it is based on a true story makes it more interesting. 8/10

High Life
Went in with high expectations but was disappointed. Seemed merely an excuse to find a setting for various sexual assaults and the ending was very silly indeed. 5/10

Fighting with my family
Feel good British film based on a true story. Funny in bits and tweaks the feels at other times. Nothing deep or meaningful but great end of week watching. I don't like wrestling yet still enjoyed this more than a little 8/10

I didn't but my friend said it was worth it just for the big action scenes. So much is happening, you get to see more.

The Favourite
Don't think I like this directors style. Haven't enjoyed any of his films and this didn't change that. Plus points for seeing Emma Stone's boob 4/10

Suspiria - I have the weirdest boner right now. 7/10

Arctic - Good survival film. Good performance by the danish dude with the weird name. Good polar bear. 6.5/10

Starred up -
Meh, expected more from this one. Don't even remember how it ended and it's been just a week ago since I saw it. 5.5/10

Heat (1995)

Still excellent.

8/10

Seven (1995)

Freeman got the plaudits but Pitt is a very underrated actor, I think.

8/10

Road to Perdition (2002)

A fine film, except for Jude Law's typically OTT acting.

8/10

I stooopidly ignored your good advice, and watched Righteous Kill. It was so terrible that I've lost the will to write anymore.

The Precipice Game
A group of people are trapped on a cruise ship and must play a deadly game to win their freedom. Basically, it's Escape Room on a boat in China with games that require less brain and more physical attributes. The film actually started ok, maybe because I'm a fan of films where a group of strangers have to work together towards a common goal but it gets dumber and dumber by the minute and the end twist just was laughably stupid 5/10

Illang: The Wolf Brigade

Set in the distant future where both North and South Koreas agree to establish a joint government, which has been in preparation for a duration of 7 years, the plot focuses on political uprisings on opposing sides which grow fierce when a special police unit is formed to stop the chaos. From the director of I Saw The Devil and Bittersweet Life, this film is shot gorgeously and the action scenes are amazing. Shame the plot is very convoluted and the sub-plots too generic. Still, a really fun movie, free on Netflix 7.5/10

Isle Of Dogs

Set in Japan, Isle of Dogs follows a boy's odyssey in search of his lost dog. A unique film, clearly has Wes Anderson's signature all over it. Thought it was a decent story but something about it felt empty. Not as good as most of his previous efforts but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it 6.5/10

Laws Of Attraction

Amidst a sea of litigation, two New York City divorce lawyers find love. Standard romcom starring Pierce Brosnan and my childhood crush Julianne Moore, so giving it extra points just for that. The film though is as predictable as you can get 5.5/10

Headshot

Uwais plays a young man who washes ashore, an amnesiac with a serious head injury whose past comes back to haunt him shortly after being nursed back to health by a young doctor. Indonesian martial arts film in the same vein as The Night Comes For Us. Uber violent and great choreography but has the same problem as most of these films, not enough story, which is fine, but then don't make it over 2 hours long. Enjoyed it for the most part though 7/10

Interstellar

Not sure whether this was great, good, average or bad.

The Sisters Brothers (2018)

Great ploting and some top notch acting from Phoneix. Sad to see it was a box office bomb.

8/10

Triple Threat (2018)

Usually a sucker for violent and bloody films. Had high expectations for this given the cast but this was shockingly bad. Should have had less guns and more hand to hand combat.

2/10

Interstellar

Not sure whether this was great, good, average or bad.

I think this is the problem with some of Nolan's recent films. He tries to prove to the audience that he is a good filmmaker who knows all kinds of stuff( theoretical physics! mind hacking? wormholes!) that he has lost sight of how to make films that entertain the audience. If you look at a movie like Inception, it is essentially a B+ grade heist film, but he brings concepts like mind control to make his films seem more sophisticated than they really are. Same with Dunkirk. I couldn't understand all the praise the movie got when I was bored throughout the movie. At no point in the movie do you feel that there are lives to be saved, fear of people and the things at stake. The movie is just... flat. No tension. Compare that to movies like Saving private Ryan or even a Hacksaw Ridge. To me, it looks like he bought into the 'Nolan is God' cult on the internet.

And don't even get me started on the fight sequences of his Batman trilogy. They were so amateurish. That's why I loved the warehouse sequence in Batman vs Superman. He is supposed to know like 100 different types of martial arts. Yet Bale fights like a toddler.

Also, is it safe to enter the main football forum? I don't want to be depressed about the state of my football club.

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Good film this, as you'd expect from Marvel really. This one is quite serious compared to the one I watched after this.

7/10

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Again a good film by Marvel though a lot less serious than the Captain America one. Lots of humour involved.

7/10

Mortal Engines (2018)

I read the book when I was young(er) and really liked it. If only the movie was just as good. It's made by the people behind LOTR and it shows. If only they used what worked instead of what didn't from that film. The main character is a whiny little pussy akin to fecking Frodo and a lot of the story and scenes are cringy and predictable. This could have been so much better.

4/10

Last edited:
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Wikipedia said:
Many critics called it the best installment in the franchise, and some regard it as one of the greatest action films of all time.
Jeeeeesus...

5/10

House On Willow Street
After a young woman is kidnapped, her captors soon come to realize that in fact they may be the ones in danger and this young woman has a dark secret inside her. Action horror, felt like a comic book. Quite gory and shot well. Shame the story wasn't interesting and felt fairly predictable 5/10

The Martian (2015)

What a fantastic, entertaining film.

9/10

Pet Cemetery (2019)

The original was pretty good, but I thought this was better.
It almost as the original, one or too subtle changes this one was darker, creepier. I enjoyed watching it and I did not expect the ending to be that way.
The acting was pretty good , the little girl very good and a very creepy cat and the music added to the creepiness.
A remake, that was good .
Defo worth a watch.

7/10

The Wandering Earth - ok this 2019 movie has grossed over $700m but only 5m in the US. It's already on Netflix. As you might guess from that description it's Chinese and it's got subtitles.

You've kind of seen this sci-fi movie before. Global disaster is imminent and global governments bury the hatchet to come up with a solution. Of course when it comes right down to it, we'll need a bunch of risk taking mavericks to play their part at the key moments.

It falls down for me in the bits where most SF disaster movies fall down. They're trying to complete a complex set of tasks, running against the clock - but as the tasks are their own design it's not quite like watching the clock running down on 60 minute makeover. So I got a bit bored in that section.

But nonetheless, despite it not being my favourite genre and me not being a subtitle enthusiast - it kept me watching, so not that bad. The people mostly seemed plausible, and their decisions mostly seemed credible in the context of what they were learning as the story unfolded. I liked the computer's attitude as well :D

6/10

Alas, I appear to have run out of Ben Affleck dvds costing 50p.

Shoplifters - one of the most emotional movie watching experiences I’ve had in a while, I’m a right sucker, especially after a few glasses of wine. A few off key moments towards the end took me out of it a little though. I think I might be in love with Sakura Ando.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - Like a Ghibli directed by Ralph Bakshi, mostly in a bad way.

The Invisible Guest (Contratiempo) - Another fantastic film by Oriol Paulo. This one should definitely be on everyone's list who is a fan of the mystery/thriller genre. 8/10

Yes, I'm a rubbish movie critic. And completely out of touch. :D
Re:Jude - I've liked most of the films I've seen him in but feel that he overacts a bit.

Somehow it seemed soulless to me. I wasn't even inspired by Vincent's overcoming of his genetic destiny. Maybe it's just me.

Lucy
Starts out as a sort of ok, be it rather meh popcorn flick. Devolves in to something so ridiculous words can hardly describe it.

My God Scarlett Johansson is hot though.

wtf/10

The Guilty (2018, from Denmark) was a tense thriller, shot in a single room. The location added to the sense of helplessness.

Somehow it seemed soulless to me.
Watch this, Steve — sooo good!
Shoplifters - one of the most emotional movie watching experiences I’ve had in a while, I’m a right sucker, especially after a few glasses of wine. A few off key moments towards the end took me out of it a little though. I think I might be in love with Sakura Ando.