Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Silence
When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven. Feel sorry for this. They probably made this and thought they had a winner on their hands with an original concept but then A Quiet Place came out. Clearly released on Netflix now to cash in on the Sabrina Teenage Witch actresses new found fame. It's ok in parts but feels like a Lidl version of A Quiet Place 4.5/10

The Silence
When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven. Feel sorry for this. They probably made this and thought they had a winner on their hands with an original concept but then A Quiet Place came out. Clearly released on Netflix now to cash in on the Sabrina Teenage Witch actresses new found fame. It's ok in parts but feels like a Lidl version of A Quiet Place 4.5/10
Cheers for this.
Was contemplating it for tonight so...

Dragged across concrete (2018)

Mel Gibson and his "young" partner Vince Vaughn, two kinda old school racist cops, decide to make a heist after being suspended for some PC gone mad issues.

Not a bad movie, but could have been much better. Way too long, the direction was kinda all over the place, definitely some weird storytelling. Mel Gibson was great, but Vaughn was back to his True detective character, talking stupid lines for 90% of the time.

6/10

The Silence

I gave up on that half way through. Was just really bland or something.

The Inventor: Out For Blood In Silicon Valley - Alex Gibney of Going Clear fame directs a straight down the line doco about pathology charlatan Elizabeth Holmes. Like Fyre, this film enforces my suspicion that Sillicon Valley and its many successful investors are complete fecking morons coasting on bullshit and luck. This dead-eyed weirdo doesn't express a single interesting thought, demonstrates absolutely no technical understanding and thinks MC Hammer is cool. If you get swindled by someone like this to the tune of billions of dollars, you kind of deserve it. If you happen to be Kissinger or Mattis, all the better.

Downloaded it as it doesn't exist anywhere else. Only to report to the authorities of the HD file being available of course
Of course, piracy is a crime and it's good of you to support the arts. Annoying that my attempts to get it legally proved fruitless.

The Possession of Hannah Grace
The film that taught me I didn't know how to spell possession. A film about a disgraced former cop who takes a job working nights in a morgue because she's an alocholic with an addiction to pills and is possibly a bit of a whore from what she was saying. So she works nights in the morgue to keep her away from deviant urges. It's also the story of an exorcism gone wrong and when the corpse of said exorcism arrives in the morgue high jinx ensues. It's not quite Weekend at Bernies, but it was watchable. I don't think it was as scary as it could have been, but it had it's moments. Shay Mitchell was good in the lead or maybe I just liked looking at her. Who knows? Probably both.
6/10

Hellboy - Goes the deadpool route of over the top gory violence. Starts off pretty well, but then a few characters turn up with really bad accents and worse dialogue and it just starts to divebomb. The whole thing becomes really clunky, jumping from scene to scene because the story is all over the place, characters come and go serving no purpose. A load of shite really. Fights scenes are okay and Stephen Graham is pretty good as a man bear pig thing with a scouse accent. Watch the other Hellboy films instead.

The Nun

I was expecting this to be atlast half decent, seeing as it was from the The Conjuring universe.
It was about has bad as a possession film gets , silly jumps scenes that were not really scary , no real plot , the num was mildly scary , if you was about 10.
Personally think the brief amount of time The Nun was in the Conjuring 2 was so much better than this tame offering.
I will hold of with the corny NUN/10 joke , but truth be told it was not worth much more.

2.5/10

Wheels on Meals

Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Baio in a comedy about burger vans, hookers, heiresses and kicking people in the face. It's an 80's Jackie Chan film so you know what you're getting, excellent stunt work, brilliant fight scenes and some comedy. Although this one is more comedy than action and had much less of the usual slapstick. It does have some brilliant fight scenes though. Jackie Chan versus Benny "The Jet" Urquidez (of course I had to look up how to spell that) is legendary and a brilliant watch. But Yuen Baio versus Keith Vitale is also excellent. Watching Baio flip around the room is stunning, but even more so when Keith Vitale admits Sammo told him to try and actually hit Baio and he could get nowhere near him, Baio was royally taking the piss.

A very entertaining watch. Although the soundtrack is awful.

8/10

There are a lot of 80's and 90's Hong Kong movies now being remastered for Blu Ray in the UK by Eureka. I've seen this and Iron Monkey which are both excellent remasters given their age. I have Police Story 1 and 2 to watch and intend to get Once Upon a Time in China and Project A. I'm hoping for Armour of God 1 and 2 plus Ninja in the Dragon's Den to get the same treatment. The only issue I have with them is that the picture being so clear now kind of ruins some of the stunt work. Like you can see very clearly that ain't Jackie Chan on that skateboard and the fencing scenes very clearly are a Chinese man instead of the actor that's in the normal scenes. Maybe I just never noticed before, but it's more obvious now with clearer picture. A bit like all those shots in Buffy HD that clearly aren't Sarah Michelle Gellar I never noticed back when it was in 480p on a smaller TV.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Not sure on why all the hate. Was a half decent popcorn movie, no idea why anyone expected more 6/10

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Don't really care for the franchise and this did nothing to change that. The lead actor was quite poor. Nothing interesting really happens bar a few nice action scenes 4/10

Between Worlds

Nic Cage stars in this movie where his dead wife's soul is trapped inside the daughter of the woman he's dating. So he gets to feck three women in one film. That must have been why he done this movie because it was utter garbage 1/10

Wheels on Meals

Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Baio in a comedy about burger vans, hookers, heiresses and kicking people in the face. It's an 80's Jackie Chan film so you know what you're getting, excellent stunt work, brilliant fight scenes and some comedy. Although this one is more comedy than action and had much less of the usual slapstick. It does have some brilliant fight scenes though. Jackie Chan versus Benny "The Jet" Urquidez (of course I had to look up how to spell that) is legendary and a brilliant watch. But Yuen Baio versus Keith Vitale is also excellent. Watching Baio flip around the room is stunning, but even more so when Keith Vitale admits Sammo told him to try and actually hit Baio and he could get nowhere near him, Baio was royally taking the piss.

A very entertaining watch. Although the soundtrack is awful.

8/10

There are a lot of 80's and 90's Hong Kong movies now being remastered for Blu Ray in the UK by Eureka. I've seen this and Iron Monkey which are both excellent remasters given their age. I have Police Story 1 and 2 to watch and intend to get Once Upon a Time in China and Project A. I'm hoping for Armour of God 1 and 2 plus Ninja in the Dragon's Den to get the same treatment. The only issue I have with them is that the picture being so clear now kind of ruins some of the stunt work. Like you can see very clearly that ain't Jackie Chan on that skateboard and the fencing scenes very clearly are a Chinese man instead of the actor that's in the normal scenes. Maybe I just never noticed before, but it's more obvious now with clearer picture. A bit like all those shots in Buffy HD that clearly aren't Sarah Michelle Gellar I never noticed back when it was in 480p on a smaller TV.

They don't even attempt to hide the fact that the women are guys in Armour of God. :lol: Police Story 3 is also worth a watch with Michelle Yeoh. Always used to think Brigitte Lin was pretty damn fine in Police Story.

They don't even attempt to hide the fact that the women are guys in Armour of God. :lol: Police Story 3 is also worth a watch with Michelle Yeoh. Always used to think Brigitte Lin was pretty damn fine in Police Story.
:lol: I've only got vague recollections of it at this point, but those Amazons still haunt my nightmares. I haven't seen Police Story 3 in well over 15 years, good call I must track it down. I only recently found out that First Strike was Police Story 4. I somehow missed that fact for 20 years.

:lol: I've only got vague recollections of it at this point, but those Amazons still haunt my nightmares. I haven't seen Police Story 3 in well over 15 years, good call I must track it down. I only recently found out that First Strike was Police Story 4. I somehow missed that fact for 20 years.

Didn't know that. I'd always assumed that Supercop 2 was Police Story 4??

Didn't know that. I'd always assumed that Supercop 2 was Police Story 4??
Maybe it was Police Story 5 then. I can't even remember where I'd read it now, but the fact he's still playing Chan Ka Kui and Bill Tung is playing Uncle Wong were rather obvious clues that I somehow missed. I think the dubbing changing the names may have originally confused me.

Dragged Across Concrete. Some woeful acting, woeful dialogue, a crap story and damn it's long. B-b-but there is something about this director's unique approach to structure and style that makes his films mesmerising. He has this ability to effortlessly shift key that startles and excites and leaves you feeling like the whole thing is in free fall. There is a real thrill to seeing the moral, logic and genre conventions that breakdown as his film progresses. You might get a backstory, a character set up and then just as you expect them to arc they just keep going straight into the sun. Just mad shit, and it's intentional. The guy also does violence like no one else, he captures the tempting excitement of it but there is always that undercurrent of repulsive horror.

I don't think the film is good but it might be great. I dunno. A modern exploitation master.

Streets of Fire. Now this is definitely a good film. Walter Hill makes 80s trash look like an MGM classic. He can edit the shit out of a musical number and he's always bringing high quality style to lowly genre work. I rate him, maybe like a less irritating De Palma.

@R.N7 I finally watched A bigger splash, I loved it. Not only is the film enjoyable, but I also now know where I will be spending my next holidays. Lovely little film with perfect acting, great music and a fantastic setting. Totally worth a watch.

I also saw Pet Sematary which was laughably bad. First 30mns of the film is not too bad, seems to be setting up things nicely, but then it all goes to shit. It's rushed, clumsy, the actors (Lithgow aside) lack charisma, I was happy when it was over.

@R.N7 I finally watched A bigger splash, I loved it. Not only is the film enjoyable, but I also now know where I will be spending my next holidays. Lovely little film with perfect acting, great music and a fantastic setting. Totally worth a watch.

I also saw Pet Sematary which was laughably bad. First 30mns of the film is not too bad, seems to be setting up things nicely, but then it all goes to shit. It's rushed, clumsy, the actors (Lithgow aside) lack charisma, I was happy when it was over.
hIaHZ8t.gif

A wonderful advertisement for the strait of Sicily.

hIaHZ8t.gif

A wonderful advertisement for the strait of Sicily.
Indeed. He has a way of perfectly capturing the ambiance of a place I feel, I also felt that with Call me by your name and Suspiria, the place almost becomes a character of the film.

Loved Ralph Fiennes in this also.

Maybe it was Police Story 5 then. I can't even remember where I'd read it now, but the fact he's still playing Chan Ka Kui and Bill Tung is playing Uncle Wong were rather obvious clues that I somehow missed. I think the dubbing changing the names may have originally confused me.

Looks like you are correct, sir. Supercop 2 was more of a spin-off of Police Story 3 for Michelle Yeoh, although it was distributed as Police Story 4 in some areas. But Chan was barely in the film so it makes sense that First Strike is officially the 4th film in the series.

Bored, so I think I'll write a few reviews.

On the Beach at Night Alone -
Hong Sang-soo has been around for a while but he's suddenly become one of the hippest directors in the game. His prolific output (he's made 7 films in the last 4 years) of low-key romantic escapades has made him a permanent fixture at film festivals and predictably drawn comparisons to Woody Allen and Eric Rohmer. He's got the metaness of Allen and Rohmer's breezy touch but also his own brand of people getting drunk and doing impulsive things. OtBaNA was another fine, very personal effort, with the very lovely Kim Min-hee. I think his finest work though remains On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate, a mirroring tale of a man's romantic travails.

Babylon - This little watched cult film deserves to be mentioned as one of the greatest British films. It had the anger and keen social realism of your Leigh's and Loach's but also an absolute killer reggae soundtrack. Almost 40 years later it remains just as fiery relevant. The resilient closing scene is one of the most powerful movie scenes I've seen in a while.

The Blackout
- An alcoholic nightmare almost in the same class as Wake in Fright, though way sleazier. Ferrara is a real sonofabitch for this one.

First Name: Carmen - One of Godard's more successful late career experiments and probably the one that came closest to some sort of mainstream appeal. It consisted of three interconnected stories, a string quartet struggling to rehearse Beethoven, a washed up director trying to make a new film (played by Godard himself) and a boy and a girl on the run story, a boy who thinks with his dick and a girl terrorist that literally decided to feck the police. Add some slapstick shoot outs to that and you've got yourself a pretty decent film. It also featured an absolute killer scene set to Tom Waits' Ruby's Arms.

So, on the back of this rather positive experience I started to ponder if Godard could finally win me over. I downloaded his following film Hail Mary, hoping for a similar. experience. The first 20 minutes were promising, a wonderfully shot and poignant story about a divorcing family. Then it turned out it was actually an accompanying short film made by his real life companion Anne-Marie Miéville, meant to be played before the actual film. So then the real film started and what followed was 100 minutes absolute nonsense with the only redeeming factor being Myriem Roussel's supple body. Back in the drawer you go Mr Godard.

Lust for Life -
Before DDL there was Kirk Douglas, hamming it up to the point of making a film absolutely unwatchable and getting an Oscar for his efforts. I'm struggling with romanticized depictions of Van Gogh ever since watching Maurice Pialat's uncompromisingly naturalistic take, Van Gogh (1991). Van Gogh was played by Jaques Dutronc in that one with a striking low-key intensity. My favorite passage in that film is a party at a Parisan brothel. Most directors would be satisfied just to spend a few minutes there but Pialat kept it going and going, even showing the dying embers of the party at sunrise and the tram ride home with Dutronc's empty eyes staring out the window..I doubt I'll check out Julian Schnabel's latest one even though I normally trust Willem Dafoe to do well.

Dragged Across Concrete. Some woeful acting, woeful dialogue, a crap story and damn it's long. B-b-but there is something about this director's unique approach to structure and style that makes his films mesmerising. He has this ability to effortlessly shift key that startles and excites and leaves you feeling like the whole thing is in free fall. There is a real thrill to seeing the moral, logic and genre conventions that breakdown as his film progresses. You might get a backstory, a character set up and then just as you expect them to arc they just keep going straight into the sun. Just mad shit, and it's intentional. The guy also does violence like no one else, he captures the tempting excitement of it but there is always that undercurrent of repulsive horror.

I don't think the film is good but it might be great. I dunno. A modern exploitation master.

Streets of Fire. Now this is definitely a good film. Walter Hill makes 80s trash look like an MGM classic. He can edit the shit out of a musical number and he's always bringing high quality style to lowly genre work. I rate him, maybe like a less irritating De Palma.
Good shout on Streets of Fire! Loved that movie.

Highly recommend The Sisters Brothers .John C Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix & Jake Gyllenhal on top form, touching, funny , violent and interesting story.

Wasn't in the mood for work today so took a trip to the Odeon instead:

Hellboy

Darker and more graphic version than the del Toro outings, we get a new take on the Hellboy story. Milla Jovovich was seriously undercooked in this movie and whoever thought of giving a giant warthog a thick scouse accent deserves to be shot...seriously! Decent visuals but the dialogue is just bland and could have been written by a 12-year old. Ian McShane is popping up just about everywhere these days as he does in this movie. Like him though, all of the characters are pretty wooden and fail to inspire you in any way. Harbour does his best with Hellboy, which to be fair to him was one of the redeeming factors about the film. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of gory violence in the film and the action sequences are fun. I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't for that pointless warthog. What were they thinking??

I'm giving this a 6/10.

Shazam!

Went into this with low expectations and wasn't disappointed. The best thing about this movie was the trailer for 'Brightburn'.....and the clever cameo at the end. Film was way too long and having to watch a super-hero with awesome powers goofing around like a 14-year old was a bit all too much in the end. Sure it's a new and refreshing take on the super-hero genre that will definitely have it's place in the DC universe and be great for parents that want a safe family-friendly kick-ass movie to appease their kids during the holidays. It's an enjoyable romp with some decent comedic moments and the standard good guy/bad guy smackdown. It kinda had a Power Rangers vibe at the end but overall just enough to satisfy. Some will love it I'm sure though.

I'm giving this a 5/10.

Polar
The world's top assassin, Duncan Vizla, is settling into retirement when his former employer marks him as a liability to the firm. Against his will, he finds himself back in the game going head to head with an army of younger killers. Feels like this was a decent movie at one time then suddenly execs decided to try make it cool and shoe-horn in a 'cooler' vibe, making this film an utter mess. Mads Mikkelsen is great as usual and when he's on screen, it's quite fun but there are these young assassins who feel completely out of place and actually amount to nothing, so not sure why they're in there. Vanessa Hudgens also not doing to great since graduating from High School Musical. Shame, this could have been a good movie 3/10

The Devil's Doorway

In the fall of 1960, Father Thomas Riley and Father John Thornton were sent by the Vatican to investigate a miraculous event in an Irish home for 'fallen women', only to uncover something much more horrific. I'm a fan of found footage films and am usually disappointed because they're usually awful. This was one of the better ones. The acting was solid, the story was interesting enough and there was some genuinely tense atmosphere. Nice and short also. Get on it @pauldyson1uk this one's worth a watch 7/10

The Devil's Doorway

In the fall of 1960, Father Thomas Riley and Father John Thornton were sent by the Vatican to investigate a miraculous event in an Irish home for 'fallen women', only to uncover something much more horrific. I'm a fan of found footage films and am usually disappointed because they're usually awful. This was one of the better ones. The acting was solid, the story was interesting enough and there was some genuinely tense atmosphere. Nice and short also. Get on it @pauldyson1uk this one's worth a watch 7/10
Cheers , it id on my HDD, will watching it over the weekend , while on nights.

Drunk Parents So appallingly bad we turned it off early doors. So unfunny it is actually painful. Avoid -2/10

Easy A
A girl let's people say they banged her around school in return for money. The lies soon catch up to her. Not actually too bad. Paid homage to many romcoms, had some wit, decent acting and overall was pretty fun. Plus points because I'm in love with Emma Stone 6.5/10

The Domestics

Post-apocalyptic movie about a couple trying to escape an area where many deranged people are out to kill in a lawless state. Took inspiration from Mad Max and The Purge but after a decent start, it just feels too repetitive and tries too hard with the zaney bad guys 4.5/10

The Professor and the Madman - Mel Gibson is compiling the most comprehensive dictionary for the English language but he appears to have OCD and can't make much progress. Sean Penn is sent to an asylum because he's going a bit loopy and that involved murdering some guy who wasn't the guy he thought was the guy he should be murdering. Sean hears about Mel's goal and contributes, saving the day. Sean later cuts off his own penis when the woman of the guy he murdered falls in love with him, but that's also his fault because he teaches her to read and she ends up writing a bit of a love letter. The antagonists, who want to see Mel fail, get about five seconds of screen time, and the rest is dedicated to Mel and Sean acting, each putting on pretty decent accents but ruining it with dialogue that only veteran actors think they can get away with. Could easily be mistaken at times for a period drama done by ITV. Should be nowhere near a cinema and instead saved for watching at home if you can be bothered at all. 5.2/10

Ghost Stories (2017)

Bloody awful.

2/10

La Juala De Oro (The Guilded Cage) This Spanish/Mexican film is on the surface a coming of age film with parallels to Stand By Me, even down to the rail tracks featuring heavily and humor making the drama more poignant. But how wrong that impression is. There may be humor and bonding as they set off towards the US from Guatamala but that is where the similarity ends. This film is brutal and devastating, with a hundred talking points underlying it's simple surface narrative. Not always an easy watch but one of the best films I have seen recently. 9/10

The Devil's Doorway

Watched it last night , I am not a fan of found footage films , but I agree this is one of the better ones.
Would recommend it , also agree with 7/10.

Watched it last night , I am not a fan of found footage films , but I agree this is one of the better ones.
Would recommend it , also agree with 7/10.

Agree on the found footage. The best ones are the Spanish [REC] 1-2, Poughkeepsie tapes (most underrated serial killer movie ever made?) and of course the original Cloverfield.

But since you both recommend this one, I'm gonna give it a go.

High Life - Finally an interesting modern science fiction film and it's made by the great Claire Denis of all people. The slow burning nature of her work makes it impossible to judge this now, I'll return in a month or so to give my full impression.

Agree on the found footage. The best ones are the Spanish [REC] 1-2, Poughkeepsie tapes (most underrated serial killer movie ever made?) and of course the original Cloverfield.

But since you both recommend this one, I'm gonna give it a go.
Poughkeepsie is amazing!

Some good found footage horror films:
Grave Encounters
1974: La Posesion De Altair
As Above So Below
The Visit