Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I only liked the first one. Hated the third one. I've read the Bourne Ultimatum and I hate the way Ludlum writes. His books feel like a very lame attempt at writing a movie script. You can almost feel exactly which scene he'd like to be in slo-mo because he puts so much emphasis on it. "He looked at the scar in the mirror... the scar.. the scar he got when he..." Yuck. He also likes to put a million unnecessary twists in his books. I hate that kind of stuff. Also, read the Rhinemann Exchange which had a better storyline than his Bourne stuff but was written the same way.

What has 'The Pin' been in before...the guy with the sticky-out ears? Familar but couldn't really put in anything I might have seen before.

The Pin was played by Lukas Haas.
Had a breakthrough role in a movie with Laura Dern I think. Can't remember the title.
edit: it was Rambling Rose. And he's in Mars Attack as the kid who saves the day.

Night of the Hunter was a good watch, Ole. Although, I have to say they were religious headcases. I bet places likes those haven't a changed a bit in the States.

Has anyone seen Birth of a Nation? The crazy movie that glorified the KKK. Apparently if you ignore the content (or are a racist) it's supposed to be a directorial masterpiece.

Has anyone seen Birth of a Nation? The crazy movie that glorified the KKK. Apparently if you ignore the content (or are a racist) it's supposed to be a directorial masterpiece.

Not seen the whole thing...watched parts of it on my degree years ago and it did look very impressive - even accounting for the time it was made.

But the racist overtones are fairly strong - as Griffith himself admitted at the time (even though it probably wasn't thought of in racists terms back then).

Probably the further south you go.

If you like Mitchum, check out Thunder Road. Pretty good movie.

Agree with Thunder Road. Also track down Out of the Past (sometimes also called Build My Gallows High)...think I put this on the Noir list, Spooney.

I saw the Fallen Idol a couple of days ago. Not as good as the Third Man, but still a well made and enjoyable film. I'm trying to get a hold of Odd Man Out; heard that's also supposed to be another good film by Reed.

I saw the Fallen Idol a couple of days ago. Not as good as the Third Man, but still a well made and enjoyable film. I'm trying to get a hold of Odd Man Out; heard that's also supposed to be another good film by Reed.

Oh yeah...Odd Man Out is very good...an example of British film noir. Quite political, as it covers the British/Irish issue, and even for the 1940s its quite subversive in its own way.

Further proof that Wibble hates movies.

No. I just don't like wasting my time.

Die Hard 4 and Transformers were excellent brainless entertainment but if you make an action film with an attempt at a relatively complex plot you had better make sure it makes some sort of sense.

No. I just don't like wasting my time.

Die Hard 4 and Transformers were excellent brainless entertainment but if you make an action film with an attempt at a relatively complex plot you had better make sure it makes some sort of sense.
You can't seriously be hinting that Die Hard 4.0 was better than any of the Bourne films

Got The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and 2046 in the mail yesterday.

Next 10 in queue:
On The Waterfront
The Apartment
Wild Strawberries
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Wages of Fear
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Diabolique
Shadow of a Doubt
The Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity

Stupid Blockbuster doesn't have a copy of Notorious.

Ole, have you seen any of the following?

Kind Hearts and Coronets
Wild Strawberries - Bergman
The Wages of Fear - Henri-Georges Clouzot (director of Diabolique, les)

Ole, have you seen any of the following?

Kind Hearts and Coronets
Wild Strawberries - Bergman
The Wages of Fear - Henri-Georges Clouzot (director of Diabolique, les)

Great multi-performance by Alec Guinness - perfect example of British film-making at its best. The original of The Ladykillers is also recommended...shame the Coen's fecked up the remake (most unlike them).

Like to hear what you think of Les Diabolique, Mehro...one of my favourite thriller/shockers, and very influential on Hitchcock when he made Psycho.

Not for a very long time...probably back in the days of the old VCR recordings of the TV (that's probably about 20 years ago - bloody hell!!!).

There's a few classics missing from my dvd collection - this is definately one of them (along with 2001...was convinced I had it, until I needed it for a lecture, then discovered a very big hole in my Kubrick collection!).

Got The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and 2046 in the mail yesterday.

Next 10 in queue:
On The Waterfront
The Apartment
Wild Strawberries
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Wages of Fear
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Diabolique
Shadow of a Doubt
The Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity

Stupid Blockbuster doesn't have a copy of Notorious.

Les Diaboliques interests me. Is that the original one, Mehro?

I'm watching The Apartment next.

Just watched Elf(no idea why, it just happened). It starts out mildly funny, then the annoying holiday stuff kicks in. I've never been a fan of Christmas movies(outside of A Christmas Story) and this one will not change my view on it.

Just watched Elf(no idea why, it just happened). It starts out mildly funny, then the annoying holiday stuff kicks in. I've never been a fan of Christmas movies(outside of A Christmas Story) and this one will not change my view on it.
I agree with you on the christmas movie point, they really seem to wind me up. I thought Elf was ok, funny in parts and harmless enough.

As for Wilder, one of the best directors, ever? surely?? Some Like it Hot, Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, The Apartment all great films. I'll have to check out Ace in the Hole. Any others by him I should see?