Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I've seen parts of Being John Malkhovic when on tele on day. Didn't have time to finish it but it was decent, what I saw, despite having John Cusack

I like John Cusack. And it's a great film, make sure you watch it. I guess it depends on whether you like surrealism or not, though.

Right, can one of you film buffs recommend me a few films by Orson Welles?

How about the film he made after Kane...The Magnificent Ambersons? Haven't seen this in a very long time, but all the film critics love it!

The Stranger is a pretty nifty little Film Noir from the 1940s...not a classic, but certainly watchable...quite a bit of post-war propaganda in there too.

How about the film he made after Kane...The Magnificent Ambersons? Haven't seen this in a very long time, but all the film critics love it!

The Stranger is a pretty nifty little Film Noir from the 1940s...not a classic, but certainly watchable...quite a bit of post-war propaganda in there too.

Just seen Sunset Boulevard. Amazing film, I really didn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as it was. Probably my favourite of the films I've seen recently. And was that Buster Keaton playing cards with Norma?? I'm sure it was.

Cusack is plain wrong...

I like him. So there.

This makes the Saw thing even

Rosemary's Baby - Good movie. Worth a watch. Got the feeling Pacino was deeply influenced by Cassavettes' acting, I enjoyed watching him and Ruth Gordon in the movie.

Couldn't watch Manchurian Candidate for I was tied up. Regret it really cos I started off with it and it was encouraging...

Hey guys, i have to choose whether to go to the cinema and watch American Gangster tonight, or to stay in and watch Cronos (Del Torro's breakthrough movie). What say you, baring in mind the DVD of Cronos will be available to watch at any time?

Just seen Sunset Boulevard. Amazing film, I really didn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as it was. Probably my favourite of the films I've seen recently. And was that Buster Keaton playing cards with Norma?? I'm sure it was.

I like him. So there.

Yep, spot on...nice little nod to the old silent era days.

Glad you liked Sunset Boulevard...one of the greats from that period (or any period, come to that!).

Just about to watch Brick tonight...someone recommended it on here a few days ago (sorry, forgot who it was!). Heard lots of good things about it being a modern teen-based film noir.

it was me Hammer. It was decent a enough movie.

Saw the manchurian candidate and loved it.

I didn't enjoy Sunset Boulevard that much when I saw it. Was a while back.

Glad you liked Sunset Boulevard...one of the greats from that period (or any period, come to that!).

Just about to watch Brick tonight...someone recommended it on here a few days ago (sorry, forgot who it was!). Heard lots of good things about it being a modern teen-based film noir.
I thought Brick was a great movie. I recommended it months ago, but nobody followed through(cnuts).

I rented Brick when it came out on DVD and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't have any expectations form it and it turned out to be a pretty good watch. Loved the slick dialoque.

I rented Brick when it came out on DVD and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't have any expectations form it and it turned out to be a pretty good watch. Loved the slick dialoque.

All this sounds like I'm going to enjoy this film, then!;)

Hey guys, i have to choose whether to go to the cinema and watch American Gangster tonight, or to stay in and watch Cronos (Del Torro's breakthrough movie). What say you, baring in mind the DVD of Cronos will be available to watch at any time?

Go to the pictures.

Gloria Swanson was brilliant, apparently the film echoed her real life. . . by this I mean she was a huge star of the silent era and Sunset Boulevard was her comeback. . .sorry, return! Which you probably know.

it was me Hammer. It was decent a enough movie.

Saw the manchurian candidate and loved it.

I didn't enjoy Sunset Boulevard that much when I saw it. Was a while back.

Manchurian Candidate was great. What did you think of the karate scene? As for Sunset. . . it's really hard to put it in any particular genre, I thought the film was creepy as hell.

I'm currently downloading Some Like it Hot, The Apartment, City Lights and The Night of the Hunter. Loving these films. Also watched Dr Strangelove and all, very clever film and a cinematic masterpiece. . .loved George C Scott's character and Captain Lionel Mandrake. I'm sure Captain Bladder from Blackadder Goes Forth was loosely based on him.

Re the karate scene: It gave me a chuckle but I wasn't surprised to see it. Having seen Seconds before this it was obvious that John Frankenheimer was a director that tried different things and given the background of the characters he had a good opportunity to pull off something new here. Sinatra was a decent actor himself. Lawrence Harvey reminded me of Daniel Craig.

Oh, and I like Cusack too. I've seen High Fidelity 10-15 times. Great fun movie. Read the book too.
"Liking both Marvin Gaye and Art Garfunkel is like supporting both the Israelis and the Palestinians. "

You make your own movies. I think that makes you cooler than just about anyone on this forum.

Ahem...I'm currently engaged on a thirty miunte horror film with a colleague in our own independent production company.

Where does that rank on 'coolness'?

And our leading actress has a clevage to die for, so lots of high angle point-of-view shots were written into the script and storyboarding process!!! ;)

Okay...just finished watching it - and yes, very impressed.

One thing though - I did find some of the dialogue a bit muffled, particularly with the main female actress (forget her name)...sure I lost out on some relevant information along the way. Did she really have Emily killed? If so, why?

Maybe I'm just going a bit deaf....:(

Ahem...I'm currently engaged on a thirty miunte horror film with a colleague in our own independent production company.

Where does that rank on 'coolness'?

And our leading actress has a clevage to die for, so lots of high angle point-of-view shots were written into the script and storyboarding process!!! ;)

Very high! you must upload it for us.

Okay...just finished watching it - and yes, very impressed.

One thing though - I did find some of the dialogue a bit muffled, particularly with the main female actress (forget her name)...sure I lost out on some relevant information along the way. Did she really have Emily killed? If so, why?

Maybe I'm just going a bit deaf....:(

Don't remember exactly how it happened but yes she was behind it if I remember correctly. Wasn't it because she stole the brick herself? And you're right about the muffled doalogue, I had to turn on the suubtitles.

I loved the scene where he was being chased in the school hallway.

I bought Brick on DVD after hearing a lot of positive reviews and I have to say that although i enjoyed it, the dialogue made it extremely hard to follow at times. Great directorial debut though and his next film sounds interestingly different too.

On a side note, I did go to the cinema tonight but watched The Darjeeling Ltd. instead of American Gangster. I really enjoyed the film, the characters were all interesting and well written, the acting convincing, the cinematography beautiful and the film rounded itself off really well. The beginning is very very poor however and although the film explains this, i feel it could have been avoided altogether.

All in all, if you enjoy Wes Anderson's films you should definately go and see it, it was sweetly humourous and, bar the beginning, enjoyable throughout. 7/10

I bought Brick on DVD after hearing a lot of positive reviews and I have to say that although i enjoyed it, the dialogue made it extremely hard to follow at times. Great directorial debut though and his next film sounds interestingly different too.

On a side note, I did go to the cinema tonight but watched The Darjeeling Ltd. instead of American Gangster. I really enjoyed the film, the characters were all interesting and well written, the acting convincing, the cinematography beautiful and the film rounded itself off really well. The beginning is very very poor however and although the film explains this, i feel it could have been avoided altogether.

All in all, if you enjoy Wes Anderson's films you should definately go and see it, it was sweetly humourous and, bar the beginning, enjoyable throughout. 7/10

I've been wanting to see that movie, although I might wait till it comes out on DVD. I liked the Royal Tenenbaums, but fell asleep while watching the Life Aquatic.

Very high! you must upload it for us.

Don't remember exactly how it happened but yes she was behind it if I remember correctly. Wasn't it because she stole the brick herself? And you're right about the muffled doalogue, I had to turn on the suubtitles.

I loved the scene where he was being chased in the school hallway.

Is that on account of the fact I'm making a film, or the inclusion of one of my actresses cleavage in it?;)

Doh...didn't think to turn on the sub-titles...I might watch it again tonight with the director's commentary, see if he gives any insight worth listening to for the film.

There were some interesting little jump cuts in the editing which I liked...nothing too intrusive, but the odd frame here and there missing from conversations...there was a sequence on the school playing field which used this well.

What has 'The Pin' been in before...the guy with the sticky-out ears? Familar but couldn't really put in anything I might have seen before.

Jack Lemmon is brilliant in that; I can't imagine the Bollywood remake being as good as the original.

Indeed. I loved Some Like it Hot, brilliant film. Marilyn Monroe was sexy as feck wasn't she? a proper woman, curves and all that. Why can't all women be dizzy, curvy and sexy? most of the female celebs thesedays have huge heads and bodies of a 12 year old.

Indeed. I loved Some Like it Hot, brilliant film. Marilyn Monroe was sexy as feck wasn't she? a proper woman, curves and all that. Why can't all women be dizzy, curvy and sexy? most of the female celebs thesedays have huge heads and bodies of a 12 year old.
No denying that she was sexy, but I still maintain she was a decent actress. Watch "Don't Bother to Knock" to see my point.

No denying that she was sexy, but I still maintain she was a decent actress. Watch "Don't Bother to Knock" to see my point.

Yes. I thought she was excellent in Some Like it Hot and all(brilliant on screen presence). I have always got the impression she wasn't very good, so I was pleasantly surprised. As for the film, had some proper iconic scenes. . .mostly with her in them.