Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Frankenheimer's a strange one. He's made some classics such as Seconds, Manchunian Candidate and a couple of others that I haven't seen, but a whole host of tripe and all.

Manchurian Candidate will be the first time I'd be watching Sinatra act

Salv - Sinatra is excellent in a small-budget Film Noir called Suddenly...I think I put it on Spooney's list of recommended Film Noir's.

He plays an assassin who turns up in a small town to kill the President who is making a stop-over. Sinatra asked for it to be withdrawn for a period of years out of respect for JFK.

Great little thriller.

The Man with a Golden Arm. Is that any good, Hammer? Apparently Sinatra's excellent in it.

(and I'll have to go through your list)

The Man with a Golden Arm. Is that any good, Hammer? Apparently Sinatra's excellent in it.

(and I'll have to go through your list)

Christ I forgot that one! Yeah good film...doesn't really pull any pinches for the time it was made. fecking awesome jazz soundtrack as well!;)

Ace in the Hole is a class film, can't remember if The Simpsons did it though

I'll be seeing these movies next month in a movie festival:
- Into The Wild
- No Country for Old Men
- Shake Hands with the Devil
- The Year My Parents went on Vacation.
- 4 Months, 3 Years, and 2 Days.

I'll be seeing these movies next month in a movie festival:
- Into The Wild
- No Country for Old Men
- Shake Hands with the Devil
- The Year My Parents went on Vacation.
- 4 Months, 3 Years, and 2 Days.

Yes, definatley want to see this, as a big Coen Brothers fan...

Any information on the other four that you know of?

Fantastic 4 - The rise of the silver surfer

Plot: Bloke who looks like a giant spoon digs loads of holes in the ground (possibly with his head) for no apparent reason, gets captured by the army, bloke named victor goes a bit mental, spoonface is released and saves the world...from himself.

This could have been cool. Instead the incredibly cheesy characters, equally cheesy sub plot, and elastic man's incredibly punchable face, made it an effort to sit through.

4/10 - Better than Wayne Bridge, but not by much

On the Waterfront was very good, jah! Brando was brilliant, then again he really was brilliant. I taught him everything he knew about acting.

Is 'Angels with Dirty Faces' any good?

Good example of the Gangster films that Warner Brothers were famous for in the 30s and 40s. It has a definate moral message with the ending (which obviously I won't give away!).

Another good Cagney gangster film from the same period is The Roaring Twenties (Warner Brothers again). I think this was made two years later.

Obviously White Heat is the Cagney film you have to see from this period...very famous ending, as well.

Good example of the Gangster films that Warner Brothers were famous for in the 30s and 40s. It has a definate moral message with the ending (which obviously I won't give away!).

Another good Cagney gangster film from the same period is The Roaring Twenties (Warner Brothers again). I think this was made two years later.

Obviously White Heat is the Cagney film you have to see from this period...very famous ending, as well.

Stick them on my to see list.

As for Brando. Best actor ever?

Yes, definatley want to see this, as a big Coen Brothers fan...

Any information on the other four that you know of?

The Year My Parents Went on Vacation is a Brazil movie about a boy whose parents left him due to the political issues in 1970 Brazil. The boy was a football fan and the backdrop of the movie was the 1970 World Cup. I'm a sucker for anything football-related.

Shake Hands with the Devil is basically Hotel Rwanda from a UN Peacekeeping officer point of view.

Into The Wild is a Sean Penn movie about an athlete student who just have about everything, money, fame, and all that but left it all behind to live in the wild.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days. is a Romanian movie about a woman who wanted to help his friend to get an abortion when her pregnancy reached 4 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days. Set in the 1980s when abortion was deemed illegal in Romania at the time.

Most if not all have been getting good reviews. I hope I can get tickets!

Pacino's a good actor, but I think he's one of those actors who always seems to get typecast into a similar kind of role ala Morgan Freeman.

It was shit, though. Stick some nice effects in and a totally silly storyline by a director with no idea about the subject he's trying to portray and bingo, the public(generally the people who have had no addiction whatsoever to anything let to alone drugs) will love it. Crash was another, racism for feckwits.

I haven't seen RFAD but I totally agree with your view on Crash.

It was so patronising as to be offensive.

Pacino's a good actor, but I think he's one of those actors who always seems to get typecast into a similar kind of role ala Morgan Freeman.

Not at all. Freeman always plays the same character, whereas Pacino's done very different roles in films such as Dog Day Afternoon, Scent of a Woman, Scarface, Godfather 1&2, Merchant of Venice etc etc. One of the most versatile actors ever, whereas Freeman's one dimensional, not a character actor like Pacino and Brando, obviously.

Not at all. Freeman always plays the same character, whereas Pacino's done very different roles in films such as Dog Day Afternoon, Scent of a Woman, Scarface, Godfather 1&2, Merchant of Venice etc etc. One of the most versatile actors ever, whereas Freeman's one dimensional, not a character actor like Pacino and Brando, obviously.

You're right. I shouldn't give the impression that Pacino's one dimensional or unable to play diverse roles. I guess I made the comment because whenever he's in a fit of rage on screen, it's a typical Pacino scene. I think he plays different roles quite well e.g Michael Corleone, Scarface, Serpico, Lefty, etc, but it's only when he's acting out anger he becomes Pacino again. I guess it's something that can be said of most actors - they usually tend to act out certain emotions with a signature style. Nonetheless, I admit that the Freeman comparison is a bad one.

He's like that in most of his post 90's films. I don't recall him ranting and raving in his heyday, but all he seems to do thesedays is shout on screen, which I must confess that I don;t mind, but it's not brilliant acting. De Niro's even more lamer, though. Made some awful films 90's onwards. That said, they've both made their mark, and will be regarded as two of the best actors, ever.

I thought he was very good in it. It's a brilliant film that's criminally underrated.

Not seen Paths of Glory yet. I've got a fair few other films to watch before, that.

What about you. . . watching any other films this weekend? Don't forget the Manchurian Candidate.

I've scheduled Manchurian Candidate and Rosemary's Baby for tonight BTW. Looking forward to both. Saw the start of Rosemary's and it looks marvelous.

It's a psychological thriller. Don't expect loads music and effects that make you jump. I thought it was a very absorbing film.

Nah...he's gone onto to the minimalist lip work dialogue routine one too many times for me. Liked him in Shawshank and Mystic River but no more...sorry

It was a lovely watch in terms of screenplay and story, obviously

The Tenant, Chinatown. . . Repulsion too, although, I don't think you'll like the latter one. Still, I guess it's worth a try. The Tenant you might find to be a difficult watch too, but I thought it was creepy as feck and really enjoyed it. Pianist is very good as well, which you've probably seen.

Nah...he's gone onto to the minimalist lip work dialogue routine one too many times for me. Liked him in Shawshank and Mystic River but no more...sorry

It was a lovely watch in terms of screenplay and story, obviously

I've seen it a few times, and even though it's got an unravelling plot with a twist at the end, I can watch it over and over again. I think that's the hallmark of a great film.

I liked The Tenant more than Chinatown and Repulsion. Oh and it completes Polanski's horror trilogy. The others being Repulsion and Rosemary's.