Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Anyone seen No Country for Old Men yet? I think it's out in north America anyway, but not where I am :mad:

Looks like it's going to be the best film of the year by miles and miles, I can't wait to see it. Love the Coen Brothers and Javier Bardem, whose performance I've heard is nothing short of godlike. First time I've been literally moist in anticipation of a film in years

Anyone seen No Country for Old Men yet? I think it's out in north America anyway, but not where I am :mad:

Looks like it's going to be the best film of the year by miles and miles, I can't wait to see it. Love the Coen Brothers and Javier Bardem, whose performance I've heard is nothing short of godlike. First time I've been literally moist in anticipation of a film in years

I'm looking forward to both this film and There Will Be Blood which should be in theatres later this year.

Disagree. Both were consistently brilliant and I don't think I could pick one over the other.

A quick look at the various critics' lists floating around on the net shows Hitchcock always being picked ahead of Kubrick. In fact Welles seems to be the only one beating Hitchcock to the top spot. I've only seen Citizen Kane by him but I'm probably going to watch Touch of Evil this week.

Been scanning Imdb. Must say it always makes me chuckle. You'll get threads full of essays explaining why a certain film is great, then underneath it there will be a thread titled 'Worst film ever made!'.

The General as very good by the way, less slapstick than I imagined it to be. That said, I prefer Chaplin. . .and Harold Lloyd too.(I think BBC 2 used to show them in the 80's at around 6:30 pm, always made me laugh)

Disagree. Both were consistently brilliant and I don't think I could pick one over the other.

A quick look at the various critics' lists floating around on the net shows Hitchcock always being picked ahead of Kubrick. In fact Welles seems to be the only one beating Hitchcock to the top spot. I've only seen Citizen Kane by him but I'm probably going to watch Touch of Evil this week.

Couldn't care about the critics. Kubrick tackled so many varied subjects and genres and time and again pulled it off. Strangelove will remain a classic for years to come, it's that darn brilliant, moreso considering the era that it was made in. I haven't liked all his movies, Clockwork Orange{although I can see why that's so highly regarded} and The Killing for instance, or even the second half of FMJ {the first was pure brilliance} but stuff like 2001, Paths of Glory and Spartacus for instance were on a different and varied level that puts Hitchcock's monotony to rest. I'd love to have a week off and see the rest like The Shining and Barry Lyndon and make a full circle of it. I might not like them but I have never actually been turned away from any of his movies

The Manchurian Candidate - Wow. Great film. Probably my favourite of the films I've see over the past week. Salv watch this, I think you'll love it.

Been checking up on John Frankenheimer, apparently he was only 32 when he directed The Manchurian Candidate. I'll have to watch Birdman of Alcatraz and all

Yup, re: format, with default English {:confused:}, Spanish and PTBR {:confused:} subtitles

Not sure I'll be able to watch it on my DVD player.
Manchurian Candidate will be the first time I'd be watching Sinatra act

Best martial arts sequence ever. That's what you'll be watching when you see ol'blue eyes do his stuff. But he was very good.

Cheers, Salvo. May Krishna bless you with a couple of baby boys.

I have to see Panic in Needle Park, as well. Pacino is God for me.

I watched Paths of Glory last night. It's a very good film even after just one viewing. One of the best war films I've seen, although I might be because I am biased towards the anti-war, or rather anti-authoritarian, nature of the movie. I'm still not sure what to make of the ending though.

I watched Paths of Glory last night. It's a very good film even after just one viewing. One of the best war films I've seen, although I might be because I am biased towards the anti-war, or rather anti-authoritarian, nature of the movie. I'm still not sure what to make of the ending though.

Seconded. War movies must carry an anti-war message

I've got Dog Day Afternoon on DVD. Great film. Based on a true story, apparently.

Yup. Was surprised when I read it was

Come and See's probably the best anti war movie I've seen.

I'm drawing up another list of films to watch, after I watch the ones I've already downloaded.

City Lights
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Rebel Without a Cause(which Crappy seems to hate)
Birdman of Alcatraz
Night of the Hunter
Safety First!
The Freshman(last two both Harold Lloyd)

Come and See's probably the best anti war movie I've seen.

I'm drawing up another list of films to watch, after I watch the ones I've already downloaded.

City Lights
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Rebel Without a Cause(which Crappy seems to hate)
Birdman of Alcatraz
Night of the Hunter
Safety First!
The Freshman(last two both Harold Lloyd)
Night of the Hunter is Robert Mitchum at his best. Great movie.