Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cinematography was brilliant. Ending was indeed fantastic. Although, one could argue the film was probably more style over substance. I watched Double Indemnity yesterday, brilliant movie. . .very powerful. Polanski was clearly influenced, when he made Chinatown(as were a whole host of the other directors probably). That said, I enjoyed The Third Man more, but this for me was a better film, had the lot really - murder, fraud, femme fatale. . . and great acting by Barbara Stanwyck. Was this the benchmark noir film, Hammer? Funnily enough, both of these films didn't have typical Hollywood endings. . .the same could be argued for Casablanca and all.

Did you get to watch M as well? It's excellent, and I've heard it said that it has some noirish elements as well.

Did you get to watch M as well? It's excellent, and I've heard it said that it has some noirish elements as well.

Not yet, M16. I'll try to watch Metropolis first then download M.

Well, I'm going to say Double Indemnity, but Big Sleep runs it close.

Want any other Film Noir's to be recommended Spooney?:)

Yes, go for it, Hammer.

Just seen The Big Sleep. It was very good, although a tad convoluted, in fact I think I'll watch it again sometime. Very slow build up but the last 30 mins were pretty tense. Humphrey was a class actor, any one else agree?

Oh and I think Double Indemnity is the better film.

No idea. But I did watch To Kill a Mockingbird. Have to say that I can't believe you didn't like it. Brilliant film.

Okay Spooney here's a short list of classic Noirs for you...you've really got me started on something now...I love Noir and will probably waste the next few weeks re-watching some of these instead of marking my student's papers! Have always been a sucker for stories of doomed love and treacherous femme fatales!

1940s
The Maltese Falcon
Detour - great little low-budget gem
The Lost Weekend
White Heat
Out of the Past (Build My Gallows High)
Scarlet Street
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Leave Her to Heaven

1950s
The Big Combo
Gun Crazy - another superb low budget gem
Ace in the Hole - highly recommended
Pickup on South Street
Night and the City
Kiss Me Deadly
Touch of Evil
Suddenly
Sweet Smell of Success
Night of the Hunter
In A Lonely Place (one of Bogart's best ever performances)
The Ashphalt Jungle
DOA
Human Desire (remake of Renoir's La Bete Humaine)
The Narrow Margin

Those are some of the classic period, but for modern Noir (or Neo-Noir, as we boorish film lecturers refer to it as) I can recommend two films by John Dahl - Red Rock West (with Nic Cage and Denis Hopper) and The Last Seduction (which is DEFINATELY in my top 100 list!).

The majority of these are now available on DVD (possibly to download as well I would imagine)...hope this helps! More when I think of them....

I've only seen DOA and the Last Seduction from that list. I've seen the POstman Always Rings Twice in pieces.

What did you think of The Last Seduction, Mehro? There's a new edition of it out on DVD with commentary etc, which I shall be putting on my Christmas list (which my wife ignores every year!)

Good movie. Linda Fiorentino is extremely sexy. I've seen that shit movie Jade a few times because of her. I wouldn't put it on my list though.

Actually I thought Brick was better than that, not sure if you'd class that as noir though.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/

Haven't seen Brick, yet. One of my students was banging on about it the other day, infact. Another to add to my growing 'need to see' list :wenger:

I could never really get into that movie. It's probably because the only time I saw it was when I was made to watch it in school. If I watched it now, it might be a different story.

I had to watch that in school too! Don't remember much about the movie, but I loved the book.

Actually I thought Brick was better than that, not sure if you'd class that as noir though.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/

There's definitely elements of noir in it e.g. the crime/mystery plot, the femme fatale, the tone, etc.

No idea. But I did watch To Kill a Mockingbird. Have to say that I can't believe you didn't like it. Brilliant film.

I know your stance on the book v/s movie comparison but the movie was a shadow of the book. Very disorganised movie.

Come and See

Amazing. Was a long time waiting to watch a war movie that rivaled Apocalypse but this one certainly stands up to it. Not the most indulgent story but more than real enough to complement an amazingly made movie. A slow-ish first half which doesn't grip you in terms of the plot but the brilliant portrayal of it keeps it alive. Not much to say cos I'm swept off currently by it.

Come and See

Amazing. Was a long time waiting to watch a war movie that rivaled Apocalypse but this one certainly stands up to it. Not the most indulgent story but more than real enough to complement an amazingly made movie. A slow-ish first half which doesn't grip you in terms of the plot but the brilliant portrayal of it keeps it alive. Not much to say cos I'm swept off currently by it.

You've broken our deal.

Okay Spooney here's a short list of classic Noirs for you...you've really got me started on something now...I love Noir and will probably waste the next few weeks re-watching some of these instead of marking my student's papers! Have always been a sucker for stories of doomed love and treacherous femme fatales!

1940s
The Maltese Falcon
Detour - great little low-budget gem
The Lost Weekend
White Heat
Out of the Past (Build My Gallows High)
Scarlet Street
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Leave Her to Heaven

1950s
The Big Combo
Gun Crazy - another superb low budget gem
Ace in the Hole - highly recommended
Pickup on South Street
Night and the City
Kiss Me Deadly
Touch of Evil
Suddenly
Sweet Smell of Success
Night of the Hunter
In A Lonely Place (one of Bogart's best ever performances)
The Ashphalt Jungle
DOA
Human Desire (remake of Renoir's La Bete Humaine)
The Narrow Margin

Those are some of the classic period, but for modern Noir (or Neo-Noir, as we boorish film lecturers refer to it as) I can recommend two films by John Dahl - Red Rock West (with Nic Cage and Denis Hopper) and The Last Seduction (which is DEFINATELY in my top 100 list!).

The majority of these are now available on DVD (possibly to download as well I would imagine)...hope this helps! More when I think of them....

Cheers, Hammer. I watched Maltese Falcon last night. Loved it.

I watched Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" last night. Not as good as Sunset Boulevard or Double Indemnity, but still a well-made film with Kirk Douglas playing the role of an anti-hero.

Documentaries don't often get a look in on this thread, so I'm going to recommend the one I'm showing my students tomorrow.

It's called Spellbound, and follows eight high school children preparing and contesting the national Spelling Bee in the USA. It sound dull, but is absolutely gripping, and shows a side of America which is not generally seen. Its a very positive representation rather than the Michael Moore-style bashing that the country usually gets in documentaries. It was nominated for Best Documentary at the oscars back in 2003, and definately worth a look. If you think your spelling is good then challenge yourself along with with these eight kids!

There's another on the subject of Wal-Mart which is also very good, but the name escapes me at the moment.

I enjoyed Adaptation despite Nicholas Cage being in it. Charlie Kaufman is a brilliant writer and Chris Cooper was excellent in that movie. I'm looking forward to Kaufman's first shot at direction.

I enjoyed Adaptation despite Nicholas Cage being in it. Charlie Kaufman is a brilliant writer and Chris Cooper was excellent in that movie. I'm looking forward to Kaufman's first shot at direction.

I loved that film, mainly because of Kaufmann's screenplay and the concept.

Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich were also excellent films.

21 Grams.

Horror is often named as the toughest genre to take on and end up with a credible film, for me, it's drama - almost every drama you see is like watching the same film. So I tend to avoid watching heart wrenching love affairs or the story of one man's triumph over adversity, mainly because they bore the feck out of me with cliched characters and scenarios etc etc.

21 Grams was almost exactly like the other Inarritu films I've seen, choppy, chronoligically challenged and an almost dirty feeling of reality. But it's probably those elements that make them so gripping, even it you know exactly where it's going; because it is quite a basic plot jumbled around to produce a puzzle of the main characters state of mind/health. Much to admire here there is, much to question also; including just how cold it must have been when Naomi Watts did her nude scene.

Basically, I liked it, not because it's groundbreaking in any way, mainly for the peformances of all of the actors and because I could watch a drama that had a right to take itself seriously and didn't look like it was fecking made for ITV.