Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

While Rebecca was a good movie I thought it missed the Hitchcock factor, mainly because it was adaptation. Also, since I had already read the book I found myself making comparisons which is never good. The guy's character was much better in the book. Still, I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again given the chance. I've yet to see a Hitchcock movie that I haven't enjoyed.

While Rebecca was a good movie I thought it missed the Hitchcock factor, mainly because it was adaptation. Also, since I had already read the book I found myself making comparisons which is never good. The guy's character was much better in the book. Still, I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again given the chance. I've yet to see a Hitchcock movie that I haven't enjoyed.
I didn't regret watching Rebecca, but I definitely won't be watching it again.

No, I'd rather watch Requiem of a Dream a million times over. . .and then claim it's a master piece on drug addiction in the middle of a drugs rehab clinic.
Who said it was a master piece?

It was definitely not shit though. Exaggerated yes, one sided yes but he presents his side in the best way possible.

Ok, which one should I see next

North by Northwest, 39 steps, A man who knew too much, strangers on a train or without a doubt

Who said it was a master piece?

It was definitely not shit though. Exaggerated yes, one sided yes but he presents his side in the best way possible.

It was shit, though. Stick some nice effects in and a totally silly storyline by a director with no idea about the subject he's trying to portray and bingo, the public(generally the people who have had no addiction whatsoever to anything let to alone drugs) will love it. Crash was another, racism for feckwits.

It was shit, though. Stick some nice effects in and a totally silly storyline by a director with no idea about the subject he's trying to portray and bingo, the public(generally the people who have had no addiction whatsoever to anything let to alone drugs) will love it. Crash was another, racism for feckwits.

:lol: Agreed

Requiem was good for one story, i.e the pretend druggie's ma's

Crash was awful

We have been over this before....

We will just see how many people have in their top 100

We have been over this before....

We will just see how many people have in their top 100

I don't think many will. Or I hope not. If you've got it in your top 100, I'll personally walk over to Germany or India or whereever you are at mo, and stab you in the eye with a rusty nail.

In fact one of the things that annoyed me about Requiem the most was that all the druggies I knew thought that the movie was extremely cool and they'd watch the scenes where the characters take drugs over and over again.

Strangers on a train it is for tonite...

Mehro, if you have the link for sting or butch cassidy, pm them to me.

In fact one of the things that annoyed me about Requiem the most was that all the druggies I knew that the moive was extremely cool and they'd watch the scenes where the characters take drugs over and over again.

feckwits without doubt.

That effects were very cool, though. MTV like.

Strangers on a Train, another good one from Hitchcock. Not quite on the level of Psycho or Rear but enjoyable none the less.

You haven't even seen Dr. Strangelove if I remember correct. You got to watch his movies Wibble. Consistently brilliant. Watch The Killing and Paths of Glory.

The Third Man. Took me a while to get into it. . .but yeah, I really enjoyed it. Was beautifully shot, then again, it's not hard to make a film look great with Vienna as the backdrop. Lovely Rococo/Baroque architecture, and narrow cobbled backstreet, not unlike Prague. Orsen Welles was a fat fecker, though, one with great on screen presence.

Orson_welles.jpg

'I'm not fat, I'm just er. . . fat.'

The Third Man. Took me a while to get into it. . .but yeah, I really enjoyed it. Was beautifully shot, then again, it's not hard to make a film look great with Vienna as the backdrop. Lovely Rococo/Baroque architecture, and narrow cobbled backstreet, not unlike Prague. Orsen Welles was a fat fecker, though, one with great on screen presence.

Orson_welles.jpg

I think Welles' introduction into the film, under the window, is simply brilliant...and it has also one of my all-time favourite endings - having the woman walk towards the camera from that distance, with Joseph Cotten expecting her to stop, and she just blanks him and carries on walking.

Okay, it don't sound much, but in the context of the film, I think its perfection.;)

Orson_welles.jpg

Absolutely fantastic movie. At first I thought Welles himself directed, because it looked like something he'd direct.

Absolutely fantastic movie.

I can only agree. One of my all time favourites.

Harry Lime said:
In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

I think Welles' introduction into the film, under the window, is simply brilliant...and it has also one of my all-time favourite endings - having the woman walk towards the camera from that distance, with Joseph Cotten expecting her to stop, and she just blanks him and carries on walking.

Okay, it don't sound much, but in the context of the film, I think its perfection.;)

Cinematography was brilliant. Ending was indeed fantastic. Although, one could argue the film was probably more style over substance. I watched Double Indemnity yesterday, brilliant movie. . .very powerful. Polanski was clearly influenced, when he made Chinatown(as were a whole host of the other directors probably). That said, I enjoyed The Third Man more, but this for me was a better film, had the lot really - murder, fraud, femme fatale. . . and great acting by Barbara Stanwyck. Was this the benchmark noir film, Hammer? Funnily enough, both of these films didn't have typical Hollywood endings. . .the same could be argued for Casablanca and all.