Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

No problem with a bigger panel. We could do it via the chatroom. Does this place actually still have a chatroom?

This is logisticly not very easy to accomplish guys.

Let's just make a big fecking panel that discusses and makes the list right in this thread. And Spoony should make the panel. Maybe 15 people.

right, heres what we do;

1>come up with a list of 10 categories; eg. Horror, Comedy, Drama, War etc
2>create a new thread for each category. leave it open for say a month. Each spacker can then make suggestions for movies in each category. At the end of the month the thread gets locked.
3>the 'film board' then emeet to cut the movie list down in each category to 10.
4>somehow then take these 100 movies and get them into some sort of order, lots of arguments.

right, heres what we do;

1>come up with a list of 10 categories; eg. Horror, Comedy, Drama, War etc
2>create a new thread for each category. leave it open for say a month. Each spacker can then make suggestions for movies in each category. At the end of the month the thread gets locked.
3>the 'film board' then emeet to cut the movie list down in each category to 10.
4>somehow then take these 100 movies and get them into some sort of order, lots of arguments.

That's all well and good GB, but you're assuming here that 10 horror films or 10 comedy films etc would make it into a top 100, which wouldn't necessarily be the case.

thats why its a suggestion for people to work with or suggest alternative ways to do it..

I'd say go with points one and two first and see how that goes. Then put each catergory into it's own order of merit (which in itself will be contentious), and then from there try and incorporate those seperate lists into one top 100 list.

How about 15 movies from each genre and then choose the top 100 from there? That way each genre wont have exactly 10 movies in the 100.

I'd say go with points one and two first and see how that goes. Then put each catergory into it's own order of merit (which in itself will be contentious), and then from there try and incorporate those seperate lists into one top 100 list.

Yeah that's probably better.

First thing to do is to come up with all the catergories, the fewer the better I'd say, keep it as basic as possible.

That's all well and good GB, but you're assuming here that 10 horror films or 10 comedy films etc would make it into a top 100, which wouldn't necessarily be the case.

Good point, although the final list of 100 doesn't need to have an equal number of movies from each category. The caf filmboard can decide how many movies from each category should be included in step 3. But there needs to be some sort of criteria for rating each film e.g. screenplay, originality/creativity, cinematography, soundtrack, cast, etc.

Good point, although the final list of 100 doesn't need to have an equal number of movies from each category. The caf filmboard can decide how many movies from each category should be included in step 3. But there needs to be some sort of criteria for rating each film e.g. screenplay, originality/creativity, cinematography, soundtrack, cast, etc.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say.

Action
Adventure
Animation
Biography
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Film-Noir
History
Horror
Independant
Music
Musical
Romance
Sci-Fi
Sport
Thriller
War
Western

Something along these lines, but I would say cut it down some, maybe by incorporating some together. Anyway it's a starting point.

Action
Adventure
Animation
Biography
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Film-Noir
History
Horror
Independant
Music
Musical
Romance
Sci-Fi
Sport
Thriller
War
Western

Something along these lines, but I would say cut it down some, maybe by incorporating some together. Anyway it's a starting point.

I'd merge the action and adventure categories. The biopics could probably come under the drama category. I'd probably omit the history category as the films could fit under some of the other categories. Just my two cents.

I'd merge the action and adventure categories. The biopics could probably come under the drama category. I'd probably omit the history category as the films could fit under some of the other categories. Just my two cents.

Agreed.

I robbed it from the IMDB site, definitely needs compacting down to something more manageable, far too many catergories there as it is.

On a side note maybe a new thread should be started for this, rather than clogging up the Movie Review thread.

Nor should it. The top 100 might not contain a musical film, for example, so it would defeat the purpose to have top 100 selected specifically from those categories.

Best way would be to have a straight up top hundred. If there is to be a fifteen member panel, perhaps there should be some sort of voting system. Obviously, not all will agree with the final list, but that's to be expected.

Nor should it. The top 100 might not contain a musical film, for example, so it would defeat the purpose to have top 100 selected specifically from those categories.

Best way would be to have a straight up top hundred. If there is to be a fifteen member panel, perhaps there should be some sort of voting system. Obviously, not all will agree with the final list, but that's to be expected.

I think it was Empire magazine that tried something like this a few months ago by going by genre...ten best films from each....but that was to identify the ideal DVD collection...so perhaps not much help here...

Or how about seeing if there 15 panel members who submit thier top 100 personal choices, then someone calculate the top 100 out of that by seeing if any films regulalrly crop up to have a definative list to chose from...I'd volunteer to do the calculating (failing that I can get some slave labour from some of my film students to do it for me...tell 'em its part of an assignment and they get a gold star if they do it quickly!). I perhaps haven't explained this clearly....:wenger:

Seems like a good idea. So basically we're going to have a panel of 15 posters, each poster will have to draw up a top 100 list. . .and Hammer's student(s) will calculate an all time list??

I'll go with that.

Mehro choose the other panelists.

I actually liked GB's idea. That way a lot more people would be involved. Can't we have a first round of nominations from the public?

I actually liked GB's idea. That way a lot more people would be involved. Can't we have a first round of nominations from the public?

No. We'd end up with Shawshanks, American History X and Requiem for a Dream at the top.

We already got Ole'smyhero, Cinc(if he's free), Hammer, you and myself. Others who have seen their fair share of movies(I think): FreakyJim, Plech, Geebs, Wibble, Shotgun Raisin, Simon Adebesi, RedNome, Bilbo.

If there are anymore then add them to the list.

Panel:

Spoony
olesmyhero
cinc
Spammy
Wibble
GB
Hammer Michael
Dr. Dwayne
RedNome
Mehro

This is what I have so far. who did I forget? Kevrock would be nice to have but he hasn't logged in in months.

No. We'd end up with Shawshanks, American History X and Requiem for a Dream at the top.

We already got Ole'smyhero, Cinc(if he's free), Hammer, you and myself. Others who have seen their fair share of movies(I think): FreakyJim, Plech, Geebs, Wibble, Shotgun Raisin, Simon Adebesi, RedNome, Bilbo.

We can let them nominate them. Doesn't mean we'll put them in the list. :) I just thought it'd be a good idea to make this bigger.

Updated:

Spoony
olesmyhero
cinc
Spammy
Wibble
GB
Plech
Hammer Michael
Dr. Dwayne
RedNome
Mehro
FreakyJim
Bilbo
Shotgun
Simon

That's 15 then. Hope no one's been missed.

Panel:

Spoony
olesmyhero
cinc
Spammy
Wibble
GB
Hammer Michael
Dr. Dwayne
RedNome
Mehro

This is what I have so far. who did I forget? Kevrock would be nice to have but he hasn't logged in in months.

Thanks for thinking of me, mehro. Unlike some people.

:mad::mad::mad: