Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Scarecrow - Won the Palm D'Or in 1973, features both Gene Hackman and Al Pacino in their primes, yet is largely unknown today. I can sort of see why it wasn't a hit, it kinda rambled on with no rhythm, just going from one long bloated scene to another that never really went anywhere. The last 30 minutes or so though, it suddenly hit a few hard emotional punches, mostly thanks to Pacino's delicate performance, a lesser actor would have overdone it with his childlike character but he did a real good and subtle job with it.

I liked it and was also surprised at what a total hottie Eileen Brennan was in it. Films about being lost and aimless in the US always interest me and I like wondering what happened to the two of them. I think he went back for Al.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
It's not an enjoyable film and that's why King of Comedy is good, De Niro had already proved his credentials for this sort of thing in Taxi Driver. A couple of scenes stand out to me, the trip to Jerry's house and the autograph book (where, for the life of me I don't know why - I must have missed something - someone replicates De Niro's movements out of focus at a table in the background) where the 'creep'/'awkward' factor ramped up.
I almost squirmed to death during the country house trip.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I almost squirmed to death during the country house trip.
I know the feeling, I don't do well with stuff like that, it was incredibly painful viewing. I need to work out the mystery figure in the restaurant, it's bugging me the more I think about. A top suggestion though, thanks.

edit: best suggestion seems to be that he catches her eye at the table, then proceeds to mock De Niro throughout the scene, hence her out of place smiles. Nice little detail to the scene.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I know the feeling, I don't do well with stuff like that, it was incredibly painful viewing. I need to work out the mystery figure in the restaurant, it's bugging me the more I think about. A top suggestion though, thanks.

edit: best suggestion seems to be that he catches her eye at the table, then proceeds to mock De Niro throughout the scene, hence her out of place smiles. Nice little detail to the scene.
I don't really remember that scene, is it on youtube?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So I'm watching Cell. A low budget recent adaptation of a reasonably good Steven King novel. I read the book only a few weeks back. Which is definitely spoiling my enjoyment of the film. Still, it's very watchable. It also gives the redcafe viewer an opportunity to watch one of our resident caftards being pistol whipped to death by John Cusack. Which gives it a bonus point. Arguably two bonus points.
I really didnt like that film.

Adzzz

Staff
Found this on imdb:
Interesting, would certainly fit the 'loser' theme De Niro has having 'his girl' taken from his date-night with her. Scorsese went more subtle though and chose someone mucking around in Rita's glare without him realising.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Some more trivia:

Martin Scorsese has said that he thought Robert De Niro's best performance under his direction was in this film.

Robert De Niro used anti-Semitic remarks to anger Jerry Lewis while filming the scene where Rupert Pupkin crashes Jerry Langford's country home. Lewis, who had never worked with method actors, was shocked and appalled, but delivered an extremely credible performance.

In the scene where Robert De Niro and Sandra Bernhard argue in the street, three of the "street scum" that mock Bernhard are Mick Jones, Joe Strummer, and Paul Simonon, members of the British punk rock band, The Clash.

Robert De Niro and Diahnne Abbott were married in real-life at the time.

Martin Scorsese said later that making this film was an "unsettling" experience, in part because of the embarrassing, bitter material of the script. Scorsese said that he and Robert De Niro may have not worked together again for seven years because making The King of Comedy (1982) was so emotionally grueling.

When Jerry Langford is walking down the street, he is stopped by a woman talking on the telephone. When Jerry refuses to talk to someone on the phone, the lady says I hope you get cancer. This incident actually happened to Jerry Lewis. According to Scorsese, Lewis directed this segment himself.

While being profiled for "E! True Hollywood Story", Jerry Lewis was surprised at the critics praise of his performance. Lewis disregarded the praise and said that he was just playing himself.

Adzzz

Staff
Man you'd think Bobby De Niro could have done better than Diane Abbott.

Couldn't resist

GBBQ

Blair Witch - Watched this over the weekend. I liked the original; found footage was a novel idea at the time and turned the potential restrictions of a low budget and unknown actors into a major advantage. Huge bonus points for never letting the antagonist be seen, leaving us to decide is it supernatural or not (films like Jeepers Creepers turn from promising to shit when the big bad ends up looking like a reject from power rangers).

So to the new sequel. What a pile of dog shit. They bring in so many cameras (go pros, DSLRs, drones, hand held cams etc.) that constantly switch the perspective giving it a Peep Show vibe at times. Having so many ways to record each other is perhaps spot on with today's 20 something's but it removes the found footage aspect of the film - why would someone edit it together in this manner when 1 continuous shot from one person's perspective would cover most scenes.

Gone are the subtle scares, replaced instead with in your face noise. Never really felt too much dread watching it and it didn't leave any lasting memories or scares. The characters were poor, pretty much standard horror/slasher fare and you never get attached to them or care when they inevitably get picked off.

Biggest disappointment was all ambiguity being removed - it stays dark even though its 7am, there's also some weird time dilation after the group splits up and hours for one group turn out to be days for the other and some incredibly corny lines - "you look exactly how I remember you" or some such nonsense. But worst of all you see the witch.

Don't get me wrong, I know its always intended to be supernatural but the touch of leaving the ambiguity leaves a little room to think what might be going on. It would have been good if not everything was spelled out

3/10 - I wasn't expecting The Godfather but even with vastly lowered expectations for the over done found footage horror subgenre, it failed to deliver!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
@GBBQ
How old were you when you watched the first BW? Do you think that could have played a part as I was looking forward to this but after your scathing indictment, I might steer clear.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah, it's not great. I kept assuming it might have been better if I didn't know the plot in advance. Sounds like that's not the case, then.
That final shot just had me bursting in laughter

the shot of John Cusack in the "zombie" pack

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@GBBQ
How old were you when you watched the first BW? Do you think that could have played a part as I was looking forward to this but after your scathing indictment, I might steer clear.
I heard it's just the same movie with a bit more explanation during the final sequence. Such a shame. I was really really looking forward to this as I think the Blair Witch lore could be interesting and Adam Wingard is a director with a lot of potential (You're Next & The Guest) but after reading/hearing so many bad reviews, I think I'll just wait until it's out on demand.

GBBQ

@GBBQ
I was 15 when I saw the first one. Saw it in the cinema when it was first released. I enjoyed it and generally don't get too critical of horrors if they deliver a few good scares. Don't think I've grown too old or too skeptical for scares either because I loved the likes of insidious, the conjuring, it follows and paranormal activity.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How did book end?
He goes on a road trip with his kid, who is still a phoner. There's a convoluted theory that the phoners are evolving because of a "computer virus" being passed among them and he figures that getting his kid to use a cellphone will "reboot" him. So he eventually gets hold of one, dials and holds it to his kid's ear...

The End

Basically an elderly author trying to write about tech badly and without really getting it. A feature of most of his recent novels.

There's loads and loads of other differences too tbh.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Embrace of the Serpent - An elegiac meditation on the destruction colonialism had on the indigenous people in the Amazon rain forest. I thought it was a tad too detached and didactic. It never really reached the heart of darkness, so to speak. I wasn't that keen on the B&W cinematography either, even though I could see it's purpose, and the only colour scene was pretty lame.

The Handmaiden
- Sumptuous and gratuitous trash that had me hooked for a while before it stumbled into the second act where it dropped the ball quite spectacularly, from then on I just kinda waited for it to end.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
He goes on a road trip with his kid, who is still a phoner. There's a convoluted theory that the phoners are evolving because of a "computer virus" being passed among them and he figures that getting his kid to use a cellphone will "reboot" him. So he eventually gets hold of one, dials and holds it to his kid's ear...

The End

Basically an elderly author trying to write about tech badly and without really getting it. A feature of most of his recent novels.

There's loads and loads of other differences too tbh.
Cheers mate. Sounds awful :lol:

Donut

Nerve

Cool concept and quite entertaining with a lot of social commentary. Turns a bit shit towards the end though. 7/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
The Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty - I had been wanting to watch this for ages but it's been really hard to get hold of a proper version of it with subtitles. There's two version on youtube, one with subtitles but abysmal video and audio quality, and a 4k restoration without subtitles. I watched the first one for a while before I got frustrated and switched to the second one, despite my rusty German only making me understand about 25% of the dialogue. Luckily the film wasn't that big on dialogue and was more of an existential mood piece, with great direction and a terrific score, so I just sat back and enjoyed that. Wenders had a great run with these types of films in the 70's.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Man you'd think Bobby De Niro could have done better than Diane Abbott.
He's renowned for having a thing for black women isn't he (ignoring white text)? Imagine going down on Corbyn's sloppy seconds.

Blair Witch - Watched this over the weekend. I liked the original; found footage was a novel idea at the time and turned the potential restrictions of a low budget and unknown actors into a major advantage. Huge bonus points for never letting the antagonist be seen, leaving us to decide is it supernatural or not (films like Jeepers Creepers turn from promising to shit when the big bad ends up looking like a reject from power rangers).

So to the new sequel. What a pile of dog shit. They bring in so many cameras (go pros, DSLRs, drones, hand held cams etc.) that constantly switch the perspective giving it a Peep Show vibe at times. Having so many ways to record each other is perhaps spot on with today's 20 something's but it removes the found footage aspect of the film - why would someone edit it together in this manner when 1 continuous shot from one person's perspective would cover most scenes.

Gone are the subtle scares, replaced instead with in your face noise. Never really felt too much dread watching it and it didn't leave any lasting memories or scares. The characters were poor, pretty much standard horror/slasher fare and you never get attached to them or care when they inevitably get picked off.

Biggest disappointment was all ambiguity being removed - it stays dark even though its 7am, there's also some weird time dilation after the group splits up and hours for one group turn out to be days for the other and some incredibly corny lines - "you look exactly how I remember you" or some such nonsense. But worst of all you see the witch.

Don't get me wrong, I know its always intended to be supernatural but the touch of leaving the ambiguity leaves a little room to think what might be going on. It would have been good if not everything was spelled out

3/10 - I wasn't expecting The Godfather but even with vastly lowered expectations for the over done found footage horror subgenre, it failed to deliver!
I hated the original- from memory it was the incessant screaming and nauseatingly jerky camera work that did it for me. Plus the characters are all wankers and you hope they die, just so they'll shut up. Cloverfield is one of the few found footage films I like, although, rather different, but the documentary 9/11: 102 minutes that changed America is unbelievably good, stringing together various footage with no voiceover, Senna-style.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Naked Lunch - I can think of at least two things wrong with that title...well, it had to be referenced. It was decent but pretty tame and the stuff Cronenberg brought to the table, the weird creatures and whatnot, looked pretty dated and tacky.

GBBQ

I hated the original- from memory it was the incessant screaming and nauseatingly jerky camera work that did it for me. Plus the characters are all wankers and you hope they die, just so they'll shut up.
Yeah the original definitely polarizes opinions. Can definitely see why some people would not like it but, personally, living in a small town with similar types of legends it just struck a chord.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Man vs Snake

Another one of those uber video game nerd documentaries a la King of Kong. On a par with that I'd say although I preferred the protagonist/antagonist dynamic set up in the latter. What the feck is 'Nibbler'?

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Joe Cinque's Consolation - an adaptation of a fascinating Australian true crime story. The film is fecking amateur hour with well below par acting and an obvious and unsatisfying retelling of the story. I'm intrigued to read the original book by the great Helen Garner. Anyone who is into weird murders should read the story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anu_Singh

But the film is a failure. Might interest you @Wibble seeing as its near your neck of the woods.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Certain Women is fecking great. Reichardt has been as good as any filmmaker over the last 10 years. Writer, director, editor; her films have such a richness and depth to them but are also so tightly put together and with a rare concision in the telling of the stories. Pwoper filmmaker.

LoveInTheAsylum

Certain Women is fecking great. Reichardt has been as good as any filmmaker over the last 10 years. Writer, director, editor; her films have such a richness and depth to them but are also so tightly put together and with a rare concision in the telling of the stories. Pwoper filmmaker.
Night Moves was a bit of a stain on the record. Really looking forward to seeing Certain Women tomorrow, though. Related:
Meek's Cutoff - That was the ending? I mean, really? A beautiful failure.
I didn't mind the end, not realising that they just ran out of time and money to film anything more. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/apr/09/kelly-reichardt-meeks-cutoff I like that one of the biggest costs for that film was animal feed.

Anyone else watch dp/30 videos on youtube? https://www.youtube.com/dp30/videos The quality of the interviews varies wildly, but it's an incredible collection covering a wide range of jobs within film making. Making all that available for free feels like the best of the internet. While the questioning can be really off, I love the different directions the conversations can go. My favourite ones tend to be on documentaries, with repeat actors, or where Tarantino just excitedly rambles without interruption for half an hour.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I was very impressed with Night Moves particularly the first half. Demonstrates a rare ability to direct actors, even big names, almost Mike Leigh like. It matters less that the story falls apart somewhat when so much is revealed in tiny character gestures.

LoveInTheAsylum

I was very impressed with Night Moves particularly the first half. Demonstrates a rare ability to direct actors, even big names, almost Mike Leigh like. It matters less that the story falls apart somewhat when so much is revealed in tiny character gestures.
Interesting, thanks. I don't have anything worthwhile to add as I only remember not getting anything from it and finding it a disappointing mess.