Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Watched Boyhood last night. What a crock of shite. People just got giddy over the 10 year filming thing and forgot that it was supposed to have a story.

It starts with this 6/7-year-old kid who looks like he's going to turn into a proper psychopath that holds disdain for pretty much his entire family, who, by virtue of an unwanted haircut, turns into your stereotypical 'deep' and apathetic teenager, and then remains that way for the next 5 years of his life before meeting more cardboard cutout stoner teenagers in college. Considering this is supposed to be a film following the "coming of age" of one boy, having him remain pretty much the exact same person from middle-school to college was utterly baffling.

The only interesting characters that had any proper development were his parents, and they're both swept aside because they're just supporting characters to Mason Jr. who was basically a boring, cringeworthy teenager for half the film, probably because the kid playing him couldn't actually act by that stage, which makes centring a film around him an even stranger decision. There's also the complete lack of resolution to multiple events that happen and are then never mentioned again.

Shit film.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
The Purge

This was all kind of stupid. From premise, to script and to characters. I did enjoy the some brief moments of retribution though.

Are the sequels any better? Some military regiment going off on 'Purgers' would be nice.

Andy_Cole

The Purge

This was all kind of stupid. From premise, to script and to characters. I did enjoy the some brief moments of retribution though.

Are the sequels any better? Some military regiment going off on 'Purgers' would be nice.
Sequels are better. The first is probably the worst one.

However it's not everyone's taste. Sequels are also pretty stupid.

Donut

Don't Breathe

Loved it. Sure there's some plot holes, but the suspense was unreal. 8/10

LouisDanGaal

Watched Boyhood last night. What a crock of shite. People just got giddy over the 10 year filming thing and forgot that it was supposed to have a story.

It starts with this 6/7-year-old kid who looks like he's going to turn into a proper psychopath that holds disdain for pretty much his entire family, who, by virtue of an unwanted haircut, turns into your stereotypical 'deep' and apathetic teenager, and then remains that way for the next 5 years of his life before meeting more cardboard cutout stoner teenagers in college. Considering this is supposed to be a film following the "coming of age" of one boy, having him remain pretty much the exact same person from middle-school to college was utterly baffling.

The only interesting characters that had any proper development were his parents, and they're both swept aside because they're just supporting characters to Mason Jr. who was basically a boring, cringeworthy teenager for half the film, probably because the kid playing him couldn't actually act by that stage, which makes centring a film around him an even stranger decision. There's also the complete lack of resolution to multiple events that happen and are then never mentioned again.

Shit film.
I thought boyhood was great, not linklaters best, which is dazed and confused for me, but certainly up there.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Purge

I thought the premise was the best thing. Sadly the execution was just bog standard siege movie with drippy do-gooder daughter.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
The Purge

The sequels are much better, though still stupid. They're definitely worth a watch.

I love Frank Grillo though so maybe I'm biased.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I thought it was fecking shite and story about bugger all.
Agreed, Boyhood was cack.

For my directing debut, I'm going to direct a whole film blindfolded and all the actors will be on acid for the whole duration of the film. It will be awesome, because it'll be authentic and special.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Don't Breathe | http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4160708/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Loved it. Proper suspense and just enough violence. I also liked how the filmmakers clearly set out to first make us symphatize with the blind man getting robbed, but then as the film went on you start cheering for the burglars. One of the better thriller \ horror movies of the last few years IMO. If you liked Green Room you will love this one, which I think is just as good.

8/10

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Don't Breathe | http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4160708/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Loved it. Proper suspense and just enough violence. I also liked how the filmmakers clearly set out to first make us symphatize with the blind man getting robbed, but then as the film went on you start cheering for the burglars. One of the better thriller \ horror movies of the last few years IMO. If you liked Green Room you will love this one, which I think is just as good.

8/10
Yeah watched it myself at the weekend, one of the better "home invasion" movies I've seen.

SwansonsTache

Yeah watched it myself at the weekend, one of the better "home invasion" movies I've seen.
I saw in the end credits that Sam Raimi has had his mittens on it, pretty much a guarantee for quality (Evil dead movies, series, Darkman etc.)

One of my favourite directors \ producers outside of Carpenter, and the recent addition James Wan.

IMO Raimi and Wan are the only directors and producers that know how to make modern horror. The rest of the shitehawks mostly resort to vandalizing classics with their lacklustre remakes

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Shit film.
I hated it too, for similar reasons. Although if I had to focus on one reason in particular it was the fact that a really promising child actor grew up into a really shit adult actor who I guarantee will never get any role this big again. Which made most of the last hour pretty much undendurable. As you say, this was all the more excruciating because of the really good performances from his parents, which made all the shitty acting by the kids stand out even more.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I hated it too, for similar reasons. Although if I had to focus on one reason in particular it was the fact that a really promising child actor grew up into a really shit adult actor who I guarantee will never get any role this big again. Which made most of the last hour pretty much undendurable. As you say, this was all the more excruciating because of the really good performances from his parents, which made all the shitty acting by the kids stand out even more.
I think this was one of the major flaws. A lot of kids are actually quite good in front of camera, until they hit a certain age and suddenly become aware that it requires acting.

It was telling that his sister was in it far less towards the end, because even her brief appearances were shocking at that point. It was a huge gamble and essentially a massive mistake to hope that Ellar would turn into a good actor as a teenager, and Mason Jr. should never have been the main character.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Didn't help that a lot of the dialogue seemed semi-improvised. Watching bad actors improvise together should be one of the seven circles of hell.
That ending exchange about the moment seizing you was one of the worst things I've ever seen

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Seventh Son
Couldn't tell you what this was about as Jeff Bridges, who does most of the exposition sounded like he had a bunch of marbles in his mouth the entire movie. Julian Moore is so hot though so that made this otherwise mess of a film quite bearable 4/10

Self/Less

A rich guy (Ben Kingsley) is dying so moves his consciousness into a younger man's body (Ryan Reynolds)... soon however, he starts getting flashes of Reynold's memories and the organization that did the switch are after him. Interesting idea that starts quite well but soon turns into a typical chase thriller film. Missed opportunity 4.5/10

Midnight Special

Michael Shannon, with the help of Joel Edgerton and Kirsten Dunst must go on the run as the FBI are after their son, who appears to have extra-terrestrial powers. Decent film that pretty much gets right into the action from the word go but the more they explain, the less interesting it becomes. I quite enjoyed it but will probably forget I ever saw it in a few weeks time 6/10

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Anyone seen Mascots, the new Netflix original film by Christopher Guest. It's a similar set-up to the likes of Spinal Tap, Best in Show, For Your Consideration, so I was eagerly anticipating it. But it's just nowhere near as funny. The good moments that it does have are few and far between and are sandwiched between long stretches of tedium. It needed more Fred Willard and less of the Plumber and Hedgehog characters.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Supports
Arsenal
I saw in the end credits that Sam Raimi has had his mittens on it, pretty much a guarantee for quality (Evil dead movies, series, Darkman etc.)

One of my favourite directors \ producers outside of Carpenter, and the recent addition James Wan.

IMO Raimi and Wan are the only directors and producers that know how to make modern horror. The rest of the shitehawks mostly resort to vandalizing classics with their lacklustre remakes
Have you seen Crimewave? It's his first film after Evil Dead and was quite the flop but I think it's got some cracking scenes in it and the usual Raimi humour.

SwansonsTache

Have you seen Crimewave? It's his first film after Evil Dead and was quite the flop but I think it's got some cracking scenes in it and the usual Raimi humour.
I haven't seen it, but will download and watch asap.

Have you seen his classics Darkman (best superhero movie ever made, shits on the modern stuff), his thriller "a simple plan" which imo is one of the great thrillers, and his western movie "The quick and the dead" with Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman?

All classic Raimi movies, and his unique feel of the sort of movies you'd watch in your basement in the 80's is all present in them. He got a unique feel to his movies that few can reproduce, much like Carpenter.

Will Absolute

Seventh Son
Couldn't tell you what this was about as Jeff Bridges, who does most of the exposition sounded like he had a bunch of marbles in his mouth the entire movie. Julian Moore is so hot though so that made this otherwise mess of a film quite bearable 4/10
That's a pet peeve of mine. You'd think after the completion of a movie someone, presumably the director, would listen to the soundtrack and ask themselves, 'Will the audience be able to understand that?' However 'genuine' dialogue sounds, important exposition must at least be intelligible.

Nialler

Alex's Dad

Have you watched the TV series Ash V's Evil Dead? Its BLOODY hilarious, great special effects and Bruce Campbell to boot !

SwansonsTache

Have you watched the TV series Ash V's Evil Dead? Its BLOODY hilarious, great special effects and Bruce Campbell to boot !
I have watched it religiously and literally f5 the torrent sites until the new eps appear, absolute quality.

One common thing between Raimi and Carpenter is the hilarious mimic and facial expressions they get their actors to do, like Kurt Russel in Big Trouble In Little China and Bruce in the Evil Dead series. So expressive and exaggerated at the same time. I feel Carpenter and Raimi share much of the humour in their work.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Saw a few films at the London Film Festival over the last couple of weeks;

La La Land - Absolutely adored it, came out of the film thinking it was one of the best ever experiences I've had at the cinema. Probably was an exaggeration, but now can't wait to see it again and decide. Not having seen the old school Hollywood musicals it pastiches was probably a good thing too, as it all felt completely new to me, but the story was still given a modern/ realist edge (if you can ignore how perfect and easy the lives of all its characters are). Has the same visual inventiveness as Whiplash as well, while the acting and score are perfect. Hugely recommend, I'll be shocked if this isn't a favourite come award season. 9/10

Arrival - Another well made, tense, interesting Villeneuve film that I'm sure people on here will enjoy. Thinking man's sci-fi that has parts of 2001 and Solaris in it, but might fall closer to Interstellar (I've a bad feeling that the ending will make re-watches annoying or dull). The first hour, and Amy Adams, were great though. 7.5/10

Birth of a Nation - Meh. Slavery bad, that period of history was awful etc etc. Just not that great a film, disappointingly, with the story recently done in a much better (12 Years A Slave), or watchable (Django) way. Oddly boring too. 5/10

Free Fire - :lol: Lots of fun. Reservoir Dogs if every character was Tim Roth and stuck in the warehouse, with many, many more guns. Finally an easy to watch, fun film from Ben Wheatley, who can hopefully make more like this now. The whole cast was great, but I particularly liked Jack Reynor after seeing him in Sing St earlier in the year. Convinced he's going to go on to big things. 8/10

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Supports
Arsenal
I have watched it religiously and literally f5 the torrent sites until the new eps appear, absolute quality.

One common thing between Raimi and Carpenter is the hilarious mimic and facial expressions they get their actors to do, like Kurt Russel in Big Trouble In Little China and Bruce in the Evil Dead series. So expressive and exaggerated at the same time. I feel Carpenter and Raimi share much of the humour in their work.

Raimi is a big fan of The Three Stooges. That's the root for all of his comedy.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Arrival- Another well made, tense, interesting Villeneuve film that I'm sure people on here will enjoy. Thinking man's sci-fi that has parts of 2001 and Solaris in it, but might fall closer to Interstellar (I've a bad feeling that the ending will make re-watches annoying or dull). The first hour, and Amy Adams, were great though. 7.5/10
Sounds great, I can't wait for this one.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

Nialler

Alex's Dad

Yep, I love the odd nod to the camera from Bruce. Also loved that they used Lee Majors to play Ash's Dad. One of my favorite shows atm.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Hail, Caesar! - Passably entertaining fluff, felt like a lot of undeveloped leftover ideas from Barton Fink and nerdy Hollywood references thrown together with no real effort or idea how to make it work as a film.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Hail, Caesar! - Passably entertaining fluff, felt like a lot of undeveloped leftover ideas from Barton Fink and nerdy Hollywood references thrown together with no real effort or idea how to make it work as a film.
Saw it at the cinema shortly after the release and I wish I hadn't bothered.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Having seen Barton Fink quite recently, the difference in quality was quite staggering. Though I guess in 1991 they were outsiders and in 2016 they are pretty comfortable and more focused with butting in celebrity cameos.

Still, pedestrian Coen is still better than a lot of things.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Manhunter was a pretty compelling and tender thriller filled with nice aesthetics, mopey CSI guy soliloquies and cheese grating period music. I liked some of the stylistic choices but some were almost bordering on parody, like the slow motion scenes and especially the end scene, complete with said cheese grating period music.