Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Ivan's Childhood?

How does that compare with Tarkovsky's other work?

I usually find his work a little difficult to get into. Ivanovo detstvo, Andrey Rublyov and Solayris are his best 3 for me. I've seen Zerkalo and Stalker as well but I imagine they'll need repeat viewings before I can really understand what the hell's going on in 'em.

I usually find his work a little difficult to get into. Ivanovo detstvo, Andrey Rublyov and Solayris are his best 3 for me. I've seen Zerkalo and Stalker as well but I imagine they'll need repeat viewings before I can really understand what the hell's going on in 'em.

I had any idea what was going on in Zerkalo, but overall I did feel a little bemused after watching it. . .yet enjoyed it at the same time. Film was surreal and haunting. . . thought the last 30mins were brilliant. Stalker went over my head too. . . like an idiot I jumped straight in at the deep end. I should've watch a couple of the others first. But definitely will see Zerkalo again.

Come and See. Harsh. Uncompromising. I'm not sure I can say that it was comfortable or even enjoyable viewing.

But it's a must see. Doesn't glorify war in anyway. An anti-war film if there ever was one.

Seems as if you're the only person who has given it a good review. I'll check it out, though. Not expecting much, considering how lame the show has become over the last decade.

It has been given some very good reviews here. I don't agree that the show has got worse. I recently saw most of the first and second season and they weren't that great. It did have a dip for a few years but I have really enjoyed the last couple of seasons. I think it is more a case of boredom setting in after 20 years or whatever it is.

Pan's Labyrinth Set against the background of the Spanish Civil War this story of how a small girl's imagination helps her live with an unpalatable reality is both great war drama and a stunningly good looking fantasy. Great special effects combining costume design with animatronics and cgi added on for effect, are used sparingly but superbly and there is some of the best set design you will see. Brilliant and a must see even if you normally avoid subtitled films.9/10

Because you hate subtitled/dubbed films. Loads of people think I'm odd for watching them.

At least I think that is why they think I'm odd.

Always thought that if the story is strong or engaging then you don't really notice the sub-titles...you just get carried along with it.

Yep. To be honest, I don't notice them. I also hate films that have been dubbed, because it affects the overall sound quality. Anime's different, though.

Always thought that if the story is strong or engaging then you don't really notice the sub-titles...you just get carried along with it.

Sadly this often falls on my student's deaf ears:mad:
True.

And watched Rush hour 3, not as good as first two. If you are really a no lifer, then could give 90 mins to it I guess.

The Look Out

Good movie, though I reckon it could have been a bit longer with more elaborate ending.
Anyway it's about this high school ice hockey player who suffers trauma due to an accident, which also leads to death of his two friends. Tries to get on with his life while suffering from a memory problem and living with a blind friend.

Shit, when did this happen?

And who else was made mod?

Does this mean, we have to respect you now?

It's all too much for me.

Shit, when did this happen?

And who else was made mod?

Does this mean, we have to respect you now?

It's all too much for me.

So is this like the Mafia...being like a 'made man'? Can you coat off other mods? Or are they untouchable?

See how I managed to get a spurious link to Goodfellas in there in order for the new mod not to whack me for going 'off topic'!;)

So is this like the Mafia...being like a 'made man'? Can you coat off other mods? Or are they untouchable?

See how I managed to get a spurious link to Goodfellas in there in order for the new mod not to whack me for going 'off topic'!;)

Yep. Mehro's a made man, now.

We can't say owt to him in the football forums. But in here(EF). . . it's open season.

Talking about mafia movies, do any of you like Donnie Brasco? When I first saw it many years back I really enjoyed it but when I saw it recently it just didn't have the same effect. I think I've started thinking lowly of Johnny Depp after the pirates series.

I was a bit disappointed with Donnie Brasco.

Love mafia and yakuza films.

Pacino makes the film, in my opinion. Good, but not a mafia film I regularly come back to.

Talking of yakuza films, Spoony - and given your interest in Asian cinema generally - have you seen Tokyo Drifter? Saw this years back on Channel 4 and it blew me away....bought it on DVD recently and its still funny as feck in a 'lets put everything we can into a film and see what comes out the other end' type of way!:D

Yep. Mehro's a made man, now.

We can't say owt to him in the football forums. But in here(EF). . . it's open season.

So, in keeping with the Goodfellas theme, I suppose I can't be a 'made man' on this site, as I don't have Manchester United blood in me!;)

Watched Michael Haneke's Caché the other day.

Great pacing and cinematography. It's slow but managed to build up the tension.
I found the ending quite unsatisfying though. So much for the build up and it felt flat after it finished.