Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

He paid homage to Rainy Dog in Kill Bill(ripped off)

And what did you lot think of Wings of Desire?

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!! Beautiful film for so many reasons. Wenders is sometimes hit and miss, but when I think he gets it right - Wings of Desire, Paris Texas - he is awesome.

God help us with the awful Nic Cage abomination re-make...I feel a theme regarding re-makes coming on here!;)

Hi guys,

Maybe off topic here but I've just downloaded In the Mood for Love with Eng subtitle from utorrent but when I play it, the subtitle isn't there. Do you all know how to fix this prob?

Alternatively buy the dvd!;) Special edition through Tartan is packed with extras...

Can't believe I forgot this film when doing my favourites yesterday :wenger:

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!! Beautiful film for so many reasons. Wenders is sometimes hit and miss, but when I think he gets it right - Wings of Desire, Paris Texas - he is awesome.

God help us with the awful Nic Cage abomination re-make...I feel a theme regarding re-makes coming on here!;)

I watched an hour of Wings of Desire before falling asleep. Great idea and fantastic cinematography. . .but ultimately I just couldn't get into it.

I'm downloading Les Enfants des paradis at the moment.

It's in my top 5. I loved it that much. I have become a bit of fan of WKW.

Very much a Western style director even when directing in his home country - really rate him.

Sorry probably being a bit vague there...distracted by an eight year old who wants to get on my laptop to do the BBC Premiership Predictor! Bloody kids...when's the summer holiday's over?:rolleyes:

Very much a Western style director even when directing in his home country - really rate him.

Sorry probably being a bit vague there...distracted by an eight year old who wants to get on my laptop to do the BBC Premiership Predictor! Bloody kids...when's the summer holiday's over?:rolleyes:

I agree that he incorporates many western(like french new wave) ideas/techniques, but he is a product of the East, no doubt

I agree that he incorporates many western(like french new wave) ideas/techniques, but he is a product of the East, no doubt

I don't think there's anything wrong with being influenced by different cultures. Just how important was Kurosawa to American cinema in the 60's?

(although Tarantino takes it to a new level)

No, there's nothing wrong with that. You cannot be not influenced by all those different cultures.

The mood of WKW's films are typically is own style. Others have copied. . .but none do it better than him. By this I mean, the non linear, less is more, character driven style of his films. . .and I love his use of music. Love Kitano's work too, not seen a bad film by him either. Sontaine was fantastic, a non action, action film about Yakuzas sitting around and filling in their time. I think you were right about the mindset of the Far East. Very different. (taking aesthetics out of it)

How is he a Western style director?

As I said I was a bit distracted...but what I meant to say was that while his films are definatley products of his own culture, his style is very accessible to a Western audience. Chungking Express and ITMFL for example, are brilliantly both visually and narratively and can appeal to any audience I feel...as long as the mindset is right. The themes are global, but I agree that both films might have been approached differently by western directors.

I'm thinking also of the Pang brothers with this in mind as well...

Maybe there isn't such a wide divergence of global cultural film styles in this 'postmodern' age? Just a thought....

As I said I was a bit distracted...but what I meant to say was that while his films are definatley products of his own culture, his style is very accessible to a Western audience. Chungking Express and ITMFL for example, are brilliantly both visually and narratively and can appeal to any audience I feel...as long as the mindset is right. The themes are global, but I agree that both films might have been approached differently by western directors.

I'm thinking also of the Pang brothers with this in mind as well...

Maybe there isn't such a wide divergence of global cultural film styles in this 'postmodern' age? Just a thought....

I'm not exactly sure his films are that accessible to the wider audience. The majority like popcorn flicks. I bet if you gave most people ITMFL, they'd find it boring. Sofia Coppola's a big fan of WKW. . .and Lost in Translation is her version of a WKW film. It's even set in the Far East, but it centres around two American actors. . .as it's primarily aimed at the American audience. Now that film did polarise opinions in the West. . .most think it's pointless and boring. However, that style of film making is very popular in the Far East. In fact most Far Eastern films are slow paced. Kitano's work's even more slower paced. Dolls was amazing. . .and probably the most beautiful film I have ever seen. Again, not for everyone.

That said, Kurosawa's one of the greatest directors, ever. . .and his work has been loved by a huge audience for decades. And he's arguably the most influential director in the history of film-making.

PS. Watch Last 'Life in the Universe'. Very similar to LiT. Takeshi Miike plays a Yakuza!

I'm not exactly sure his films are that accessible to the wider audience. The majority like popcorn flicks. I bet if you gave most people ITML, they'd find it boring. Sofia Coppola's a big fan of WKW. . .and Lost in Translation is her version of a WKW film. It's even set in the Far East, but it centres around two American actors. . .as it's primarily aimed at the American audience. Now that film did polarise opinions in the West. . .most think it's pointless and boring. However, that style of film making is very popular in the Far East. In fact most Far Eastern films are slow paced. Kitano's work's even more slower paced. Dolls was amazing. . .and probably the most beautiful film I have ever seen. Again, not for everyone.

That said, Kurosawa's one of the greatest directors, ever. . .and his work has been loved by a huge audience for decades. And he's arguably the most influential director in his history of film-making.

PS. Watch Last 'Life in the Universe'. Very similar to LiT. Takeshi Miike plays a Yakuza!

Think I'm going up a blind alley on this one!:D I kind of know what I want to say but can't quite put my finger on it...which is not good form coming from a film lecturer!:o

Suppose what I'm trying to say is while WKW's films will ever appeal to a mass audience in the west, there is enough accessibilty in them to attract attention from the arthouse circuit, for example.

Agree that the style of eastern film-making is quite different and this is another attraction to some sections of a western audience looking for something different from the mainstream. Asian horror springs to mind, particularly with the initial success of Ringu and the fall-out from that.

I showed one of my classes Battle Royale a year ago and they were dumbstruck...this is a class of 17-19 y/os. Two of them vowed never to watch another Hollywood film for a whole year after that (even if I did see them queing up to see Transformers the other day - mind you, I was queing for The Simpsons Movie at the same time! (but then I did have my eight year old twins with me and it was their choice...cough cough);)

Suppose what I'm trying to say is while WKW's films will ever appeal to a mass audience in the west, there is enough accessibilty in them to attract attention from the arthouse circuit, for example.

Battle Royale - agreed. Fantastic.

Hmm. You could test that theory at college, Michael. See what the kids think of ITMFL, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express or Happy Together. Although, I agree that his work is more accessible than say Kitano's.

Have you seen Inland Empire(Lynch), by the way? That is a hard watch.

Oh and Eastern cinema has always has a following in the West. Martial Arts films have always been very popular!

Battle Royale - agreed. Fantastic.

Hmm. You could test that theory at college, Michael. See what the kids think of ITMFL, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express or Happy Together. Although, I agree that his work is more accessible than say Kitano's.

Have you seen Inland Empire(Lynch), by the way? That is a hard watch.

Oh and Eastern cinema has always has a following in the West. Martial Arts films have always been very popular!

No I haven't yet seen Inland Empire yet, as I waiting til I have three spare hours to watch it all the way through! Heard its way off the scale regarding narrative structure, which sounds fine by me!!!:D Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway took about three viewings til they made some kind of sense (and thats being optimistic), but for me Lynch can do no wrong. Twin Peaks is still one of the best things I've seen on TV and Blue Velvet rocks!

Last year while teaching the A Level Film course I had an option to do a case study on either Chungking Express or La Haine for their World Cinema module. I went with La Haine as I had more back-up texts and references for it, but might well go with WKW in the future. Unfortunatley I don't have time to do both. Also chose La Haine as it fitted in with Neo-Realism, which was another module.

La Haine's a great film, I can see why you chose it.

Inland Empire. I was prepared for it being a demanding film. . .and there's no doubt it was an endurance test. But I'm glad that I did watch it. I reckon I'll rewatch it, in a month or so.

Watched any Tarkovsky's films?

Watched Tokyo Fist earlier. Good film. . .again, perhaps not one for everyone. Apparently it inspired Darren Arronofsky. . .probably Fight Club too(in fact it most certainly did). The film was about a love triangle, which ultimately lead to anger, jealousy and then violence. I reckon most of us are primitive when it comes to it. Say it was a good example of catharsis.

La Haine's a great film, I can see why you chose it.

Inland Empire. I was prepared for it being a demanding film. . .and there's no doubt it was an endurance test. But I'm glad that I did watch it. I reckon I'll rewatch it, in a month or so.

Watched any Tarkovsky's films?

No...Tarkovsky is one director I haven't really got round to watching. Solaris should be on my list...any others?

No...Tarkovsky is one director I haven't really got round to watching. Solaris should be on my list...any others?

Solaris is brilliant. That should be the first one you watch. I've seen Stalker as well, but I should've done some research before watching his films. I found it really difficult to watch. Never mind, I'll rewatch it again sometime. I'll probably watch 'Mirror' and 'Andrei Rublov' over the weekend. Must say he's an aquired taste. Not sure if I'll like these. . .but I think I should watch them.

Oh and I've just started downloading Rififi (and Deep Red).

Solaris is brilliant. That should be the first one you watch. I've seen Stalker as well, but I should've done some research before watching his films. I found it really difficult to watch. Never mind, I'll rewatch it again sometime. I'll probably watch 'Mirror' and 'Andrei Rublov' over the weekend. Must say he's an aquired taste. Not sure if I'll like these. . .but I think I should watch them.

Oh and I've just started downloading Rififi (and Deep Red).

The heist sequence is superb - no dialogue for about ten minutes, just brilliant editing and tension.

Every year I take some students to Paris and manage to wangle a day off to myself to go film location hunting. Okay, this year it was The Da Vinci Code, but last year I tried to find a few of the Rififi locations which was bloody hard! Took the dvd with me and my portable dvd player to try and work some of them out...trouble is Paris has changed so much since the fifties, but still managed to recognise one or two areas. Amelie was so much easier the year before!!!!;)

Watched Breakfast on Pluto the other day.

Great little film. Cillian Murphy definitely one of the most talented working actors today. I can't believe this is the same guy who played the creepy Scarecrow in Batman Begins.

The story probably wasn't that special, but it was Murphy's outstanding performance that carry the movie. He should've won an award or something.

Just randomly I'd like to add:

The best films are as follows...

- The Usual Suspects
- Arlington Road
- Primal Fear
- The Shawshank Redemtion

(also Lord of the Rings)

Just randomly I'd like to add:

The best films are as follows...

- The Usual Suspects
- Arlington Road
- Primal Fear
- The Shawshank Redemtion

(also Lord of the Rings)

I think you're confusion 'the best' with your favourite. They're not all that special.

And Micheal, I'll check it later.

The heist sequence is superb - no dialogue for about ten minutes, just brilliant editing and tension.

Every year I take some students to Paris and manage to wangle a day off to myself to go film location hunting. Okay, this year it was The Da Vinci Code, but last year I tried to find a few of the Rififi locations which was bloody hard! Took the dvd with me and my portable dvd player to try and work some of them out...trouble is Paris has changed so much since the fifties, but still managed to recognise one or two areas. Amelie was so much easier the year before!!!!;)

Amelie was a lovely film. Any of Bresson's films that I should see?