Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Any of the Indian posters seen Gandhi my father yet? Any good?

Any of the Indian posters seen Gandhi my father yet? Any good?
It's ok, definitely one time watch. First half was very good and looked like it would turn out to be a special movie. Second one was a let down though, director was not able to hold together scenes from different time line.
Still overall a good movie.

No. But it's been on my 'to see' list for ages. Another one is Les Enfants du paradis. Have you seen it?

I like French cinema.

Ever seen the movie Diabolique Spoony? The original, not the remake.

One of the greatest twists ever!

Love that film - the remake was, unfortunately, 'diabolical':devil:

It was meant to be the film that Hitchcock wanted to make, but took the option on Psycho instead. Not a bad substitute...;)

No, but I have seen Les Enfants Terribles which is a great collaboration between 2 great writers/directors, Jean Cocteau and Jean Pierre Melville.

I love French cinema.

Les Enfants Terrible is another one that I'd love to see.

I've got a few Tarkovsky films lined up to see(Offret, Mirror and Andrei Rublov). At the moment I've only seen two. . Solyaris and Stalker. The latter one, I just couldn't get into, the former I think is one of the best films ever made.

Seen any of these, Ole? I hope they're not too difficult to watch,

One of the greatest twists ever!

Love that film - the remake was, unfortunately, 'diabolical':devil:

It was meant to be the film that Hitchcock wanted to make, but took the option on Psycho instead. Not a bad substitute...;)

Fav films then Hammer?

And you could give us some recommendations and all.

Les Enfants Terrible is another one that I'd love to see.

I've got a few Tarkovsky films lined up to see(Offret, Mirror and Andrei Rublov). At the moment I've only seen two. . Solyaris and Stalker. The latter one, I just couldn't get into, the former I think is one of the best films ever made.

Seen any of these, Ole? I hope they're not too difficult to watch,
I rented Andrei Rublov but never got around to watching it. Don't think I've seen much if any Tarkovksy's movies. Will look into his movies now though.

I rented Andrei Rublov but never got around to watching it. Don't think I've seen much if any Tarkovksy's movies. Will look into his movies now though.

Watch Solyaris first(if you haven't already), apparently it's his most accessible film.

No, but I have seen Les Enfants Terribles which is a great collaboration between 2 great writers/directors, Jean Cocteau and Jean Pierre Melville.

I love French cinema.

I went through a phase of trying to track down as many classic French films from the 1930s to the 1960s as I could.

Recommend the following:

Le Jour se Leve
La Regle du jeu
Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Lift to the Scaffold)
Le Quai des Brumes (Port of Shadows)
Rififi

One hidden gem from the 1980s which I manged to pick up for £1.99 in my local HMV sale is One Deadly Summer, with the gorgeous Isabelle Adjani. Saw this when it came out and never thought I'd ever get to see it again. Really gripping thriller with an erotic edge...typical French!:D

Fav films then Hammer?

And you could give us some recommendations and all.

Going to have to come back to you on that as it changes all the time, but I guess i do have my stock top ten for now...

The Godfather/Godfather 2 - can't split them and are just about as close to the perfect film as I can think of.

Double Indemnity - big film noir fan and I think this is the best of the lot.

Some Like It Hot - huge Billy Wilder fan (see above!)

Taxi Driver - saw this back in the late 70s as a double bill with Midnight Express and went back five days in a row just to watch de Niro. Guess there's a little bit of Travis Bickle in all of us!

This is Spinal Tap - quite simply the funniest film ever made! Never fails to cheer me up...will put on one scene, then find myself watching the res of it anyway!

Vertigo - love Hitchcock when he gets all moody!

Manhattan - big Woody fan and everything about this is perfect...script, score, location, performances...

Sunrise - one of the last great silent films...had to watch this when I was doing my film degree and thought I'd hate it...left me spellbound and regularly put on the same sequence when the couple first get to the big city...if you haven't seen it, can recommend it.

Brief Encounter - might be terriby terribly middle class, but this is the one film guaranteed to have me wiping something from my eye!

Night of the Living Dead - classic low budget Romero zombie masterpiece...show this a lot to my students in how to make a cheap film and terrify at the same time...could write countless threads on this!;)

Probably about a thousand more....:D

One hidden gem from the 1980s which I manged to pick up for £1.99 in my local HMV sale is One Deadly Summer, with the gorgeous Isabelle Adjani. Saw this when it came out and never thought I'd ever get to see it again. Really gripping thriller with an erotic edge...typical French!:D

Good film that - and Adjani...:drool:

Deep Red. Good recommendation Spoony. Argento is great at creating an engaging horror atmosphere. Where I feel he didn't have as much talent is in the time between scary scenes. The interactions between people just don't seem realistic at all(which to be fair is in most Italian horror films from that time). Still a good movie, with a fantastically groovy soundtrack.

Deep Red. Good recommendation Spoony. Argento is great at creating an engaging horror atmosphere. Where I feel he didn't have as much talent is in the time between scary scenes. The interactions between people just don't seem realistic at all(which to be fair is in most Italian horror films from that time). Still a good movie, with a fantastically groovy soundtrack.

Opening sequence to Suspiria still creeps me out!:eek:

I've seen the remake of Diabolique and it was plain wrong

Agree. Avoid it at all cost.

Saw Shooter last night.

What a load of crap. It was marketed to be similar as Bourne, but Bourne was 10 times more fun and entertaining. Shooter is a B-class action movie, but with big name director and cast.

The last couple of days I've rewatched some great hungarian movies the past, mainly to recommend you some.

These are those I truly can:
Somewhere in Europe(Geza Radvanyi, 1947)
Professor Hannibal(Zoltan Fabry, 1955(?))
Trip around my Cranium(Gyorgy Revesz, 1970)
The Round Up(Miklos Jancso, 1965(?))
Merry Go-Around(Zoltan Fabry, 1956)
The Toth Family(Zoltan Fabry(1969))

Hi guys,

Maybe off topic here but I've just downloaded In the Mood for Love with Eng subtitle from utorrent but when I play it, the subtitle isn't there. Do you all know how to fix this prob?

Hi guys,

Maybe off topic here but I've just downloaded In the Mood for Love with Eng subtitle from utorrent but when I play it, the subtitle isn't there. Do you all know how to fix this prob?

The easiest way to solve that is to change the subtitle file's name to match the video file's name.

In the Mood for Love.avi
In the Mood for Love.srt

The easiest way to solve that is to change the subtitle file's name to match the video file's name.

In the Mood for Love.avi
In the Mood for Love.srt

Done that but still no luck. The subtitle file type is listed as video clip though while the movie is windows media video.

Opening sequence to Suspiria still creeps me out!:eek:

I disliked Suspiria.

I still haven't seen Deep Red!

It should do the trick. Make sure your sub file has the exact same name as the avi file.

Nothing happen.....
where I downloaded it there were 2 files = the movie and the sub, the movie was listed as video clip type and i couldn't play it at first as there was only audio available but no picture so i have it converted to .avi file and now it's working perfectly....the sub file however is listed as inthemoodforlove.2000.English.subrip , i have it changed as suggested but still nothing happen...
i really want to watch this movie since that you all gave it good recommendation and hopefully someone can help me out....