Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

You seem to be the go to guy for Indian movie recommendations, mehro. Give me a few of the more accessible titles I should watch.

On Netflix:

Bombay
Mother India
Silsila
Deewaar (1975 not the 2004 one)
Kabhi Kabhie
3 Walls
Namak Haram
Shatranj Ke Khilari
Water
Dil Chahta Hai
Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
Sarkar (Godfather adaptation)

I ended up watching Deewar spasmo, it was fecking hilarious. Typical Bollywood emotional bollocks

Ole, watch the one on bold. I have been raving about it but mehro seems to think it isn't much, which is yet another reason. Aside from that I'd recommend Earth and Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi. Most of the best Hindi movies have historical/cultural references which unless you know them you wouldn't be able to completely enjoy (Earth is about the Indo/Pak, Lahore partition)

I'm sure I'd be missing some good ones. And those movies do not have unintentional song and dance and they do not run upto 3 hours. And they are partly English, if you are able to follow that is...

On a different note to the gay game you have going here, you lot should definitely watch THE WIRE. It's TV series on the drug situation in states from the perspective of dealers and the cops. Nothing like the mainstream TV Shows you have now days. It really is probably the best TV series I have seen, better than Twin peaks for me. Writers did their research extremely well , the script and plots are ace and the dialogues great as well.

I would say it is even worth buying it's DVDs for the 4 seasons.

In the grand scheme of things, no, but it did have it's charms. Namely Bruce Willis being very good. I like being surprised by a film, though I wouldn't blame other people for not thinking much of it.
16 Blocks was extremely rubbish. There was nothing surprising about the movie. Only reason one would like it if he was gay for Bruce.

On a different note to the gay game you have going here, you lot should definitely watch THE WIRE. It's TV series on the drug situation in states from the perspective of dealers and the cops. Nothing like the mainstream TV Shows you have now days. It really is probably the best TV series I have seen, better than Twin peaks for me. Writers did their research extremely well , the script and plots are ace and the dialogues great as well.

I tried that for 3 or 4 episodes, didnt impress me too much, but it was dubbed and with commercials.

I won't recommend Bollywood to posters here. Even the best of the lot have a underlying melodramatic theme to it.

16 Blocks was extremely rubbish. There was nothing surprising about the movie. Only reason one would like it if he was gay for Bruce.

It's not much, but it's not rubbish. I was expecting it to be rubbish but it wasn't, that's surprising. I don't think anybody should go out and watch it right away, but if you were forced to watch it you shouldn't go home crying.

I tried that for 3 or 4 episodes, didnt impress me too much, but it was dubbed and with commercials.
It takes a while to get going, a lot actually. I only started appreciating it after two seasons. And it picks up at the end of S1 so you left it at the wrong time I reckon. I almost gave up during the second which is extremely slow. S3 and S4 are ace from the beginning.

Anyway it is as close as one could make a visual novel for TV and so be approached as such. Most people looking for a fix after a episode don't like it.

It's not much, but it's not rubbish. I was expecting it to be rubbish but it wasn't, that's surprising. I don't think anybody should go out and watch it right away, but if you were forced to watch it you shouldn't go home crying.
I watched by choice and it was nothing different to any hollywood bollocks produced every month. Even the action was not good and suspense was shit too. I certainly felt I wasted 90 mins of my life after watching it.

It takes a while to get going, a lot actually. I only started appreciating it after two seasons. And it picks up at the end of S1 so you left it at the wrong time I reckon. I almost gave up during the second which is extremely slow. S3 and S4 are ace from the beginning.

Anyway it is as close as one could make a visual novel for TV and so be approached as such. Most people looking for a fix after a episode don't like it.

I've heard/read people raving about it, but in those early episodes I've seen nothing else but regular police drama with many parallel plotlines

I'd agree with that. I watched the first few episodes, and wasn't particularly impressed, but it does slowly draw you in until you're completely hooked. It's not your typical flashy US cop show and is all the better for it. Watched series four in about three days - couldn't stop watching it. Best TV show ever.

Woman in the Dunes - Quality film. Brilliant, in fact.

I'll have to watch Teshigahara's other films.

br02.jpg

Finally got around to watching Dolls. Slow, methodical movie that is very well executed. Kitano's specialty is honing in on the subtleties of emotion, and in this movie he takes full advantage of it. You seen it yet, Spoony?

Also, have you seen a movie called Reconstruction? It was one of the trailers that was on the Dolls DVD and it looks pretty good.

Finally got around to watching Dolls. Slow, methodical movie that is very well executed. Kitano's specialty is honing in on the subtleties of emotion, and in this movie he takes full advantage of it. You seen it yet, Spoony?

Also, have you seen a movie called Reconstruction? It was one of the trailers that was on the Dolls DVD and it looks pretty good.

Saw it on the weekend. I loved it, Ole. I think it's Kitano's best. Liked everything about it, although I didn't understand some of the symbolism. And the ending was beautiful, too. . . fantastic closure. Not seen Reconstruction, though.

Last night I saw Woman in the Dunes. What did you think about it? I thought it was brilliant.

Oh and I've just seen Rainy Dog by Takeshi Miike. Again, another quality film by him. An earlier effort, not like anything he's done recently, but a superb effort nonetheless. A moody, dark, slow paced, film noir style Yakuza film, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Saw it on the weekend. I loved it, Ole. I think it's Kitano's best. Liked everything about it, although I didn't understand some of the symbolism. And the ending was beautiful, too. . . fantastic closure. Not seen Reconstruction, though.

Last night I saw Woman in the Dunes. What did you think about it? I thought it was brilliant.

Oh and I've just seen Rainy Dog by Takeshi Miike. Again, another quality film by him. An earlier effort, not like anything he's done recently, but a superb effort nonetheless. A moody, dark, slow paced, film noir style Yakuza film, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I loved Woman in the Dunes. Haven't seen Rainy Dog, and I don't know if I'm in the mood to watch a Miike film for a while.

I just bought a box set of 20 movies which I plan on watching over the next few days.