Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

possibly the only movie from the golden oldies which in my view has lived up to its billing

Could be down to your age, Salv. Reckon most teenagers can't watch older films, because of the pacing. That said, you should try out WKW and Kitano's work. Very slow. . .but very easy to watch, at the same time.

And Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. . . and Spring arrived today. The type of film I love. Less is more, imagery, non linear, emphasis on characters. . .etc etc. This seems to be one of them.

Could be down to your age, Salv. Reckon most teenagers can't watch older films, because of the pacing. That said, you should try out WKW and Kitano's work. Very slow. . .but very easy to watch, at the same time.

Yup I really need to start trying my hand on Far/South East Asian movies. Have been enduring a lot of rubbishness from Hollywood off late so it'll be sooner rather than later

I *** mind old movies per se, but often I'm let down more than anything. Guess I shouldn't be expecting much

Oh, and saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. I found it to be rubbish

Hopefully Last Crusade is better. This one had good action scenes. The fight scenes were poor. The general screenplay could've been much better

Harrisson Ford looks like Dennis Quaid

Oh, and Spoony, you might probably know this, i.e the U Boat in the movie was borrowed during the making of Das Boot

Burgess didn't like it, apparently. Wasn't happy at all.

That isnt entirely true. Burgess initially said that it was fantastic, even without the final chapter. After the christians started to attack the movie, Kubrick stepped aside to let Burgess handle the situation alone. That is what bewildered him, not the movie.

Hopefully Last Crusade is better. This one had good action scenes. The fight scenes were poor. The general screenplay could've been much better

Harrisson Ford looks like Dennis Quaid

Oh, and Spoony, you might probably know this, i.e the U Boat in the movie was borrowed during the making of Das Boot

The Last Crusade is an afterthought. A fun one, but still.

Temple of Doom could have been a brilliant movie.

A mate of mine said Temple of Doom was the poorer one amongst it

His views don't match with mine often though

Plus it has a renowned Indian actor

It is the poorest in many sense, but it had fantastic potential. George Lucas wanted it to be really dark(he was going through his divorce at the time), while Spielberg wanted it to be the same kind of fun movie like 'The Lost Ark' was. It fell somewhere in the middle, and it had many problems at production(Harrison Ford had a serious back injury, etc..) .

A mate of mine said Temple of Doom was the poorer one amongst it

His views don't match with mine often though

Plus it has a renowned Indian actor

Temple of Doom was ok. Remember teir being a lot of hype surrounding it. Raiders is by the far the best, though. As Suresh said, probably the template for many action movies to come.

That isnt entirely true. Burgess initially said that it was fantastic, even without the final chapter. After the christians started to attack the movie, Kubrick stepped aside to let Burgess handle the situation alone. That is what bewildered him, not the movie.

Really?

I was told that he didn't speak to Kubrick after the film was made.

I didn't know that. A superbit version's is out. I might get it.

Where exactly did you watch Raiders? computer screen?

Really?

I was told that he didn't speak to Kubrick after the film was made.

They fell out after, '[Burgess] loved Malcolm McDowell and Michael Bates, and its use of music; he praised the film as "brilliant," even as a film so brilliant that it could be dangerous. His initial reaction to the film was very enthusiastic, insisting that the only thing that bothered him was the removal of the story's last chapter, for which he blamed his American publisher and not Kubrick.'

It was more about personal issues than issues with the movie. But he started hating Kubrick very much.

They fell out after, '[Burgess] loved Malcolm McDowell and Michael Bates, and its use of music; he praised the film as "brilliant," even as a film so brilliant that it could be dangerous. His initial reaction to the film was very enthusiastic, insisting that the only thing that bothered him was the removal of the story's last chapter, for which he blamed his American publisher and not Kubrick.'

It was more about personal issues than issues with the movie. But he started hating Kubrick very much.

I see. Reckon it still holds up, though? not just the film but the book as well?

I don't know about accessible ones. I guess the easily accessible ones would be the new ones which I haven't seen and probably won't. I can recommend you a few of the old ones and if you want I can check which ones Netflix has. I think you mentioned you use Netflix.

On Netflix:

Bombay
Mother India
Silsila
Deewaar (1975 not the 2004 one)
Kabhi Kabhie
3 Walls
Namak Haram
Shatranj Ke Khilari
Water
Dil Chahta Hai
Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
Sarkar (Godfather adaptation)

Spoony, you should try watching some bollywood movies too.

Just download any one off the list i have posted above. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Alright, just try and get hold of Bombay or Water.

On Netflix:

Bombay
Mother India
Silsila
Deewaar (1975 not the 2004 one)
Kabhi Kabhie
3 Walls
Namak Haram
Shatranj Ke Khilari
Water
Dil Chahta Hai
Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
Sarkar (Godfather adaptation)

Spoony, you should try watching some bollywood movies too.

Are there any among those without dancing and singing? If so, I might just watch those.

Bollywood looks really awful and tacky.

Not the ones I'm recommending.

Are there any among those without dancing and singing? If so, I might just watch those.

It's difficult to find movies without the song dance routine in bollywood but you can simply skip the songs and you wouldn't be missing anything.

Water and Mr. and Mrs. Iyer don't have any songs as far as I remember. I can recommend more later.

Not the ones I'm recommending.

It's difficult to find movies without the song dance routine in bollywood but you can simply skip the songs and you wouldn't be missing anything.

Why do you lot like the singing and dancing? I can't think of anything more awful to have in a film. Unless, it's satirical.

Sometimes, just sometimes the songs are good enough that you actually enjoy them. A very rare thing indeed.

I don't know why bollwood movies have songs but it's always been like that. Some movies are good despite the songs, like the ones on my list. Just fecking watch one.

Imprint was shockingly good, easily the best film this week.(Couldnt watch IE yet, I have to prepare for that)

I didnt like Dumpling but Cut and Box were nice.

I liked Dumplings. Cut seems to have no subs. Box looked lovely. . .as for Imprint. .very good, shame about the American bloke's acting. Both his films looked gorgeous, as well. Mikke is a brilliant director.

Sometimes, just sometimes the songs are good enough that you actually enjoy them. A very rare thing indeed.

I don't know why bollwood movies have songs but it's always been like that. Some movies are good despite the songs, like the ones on my list. Just fecking watch one.

mehro, you have to understand that there is something deafeningly awful about songs and dances in those Bollywood movies for the european ears. No disrespect, or anything though, it is just like that.