Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Happiness of the Katakuris. Horror/comedy/musical. . . suffice to say I didn't like it at all.

Mikke, that was just plain wrong.

Some here might enjoy this.

The idea behind the recently launched "Trailers from Hell" website is simple and fun. Each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, there's a new video segment in which a renowned movie director comments over one of their favorite b-movie / exploitation / grindhouse flick trailers. Lots of personal memories, inspiration revelations -- it's like having a beer with a filmmaker whose work you dig, and fessing up about crappy movies you're both ashamed to admit loving.

http://trailersfromhell.com/index.php

Definitely watch the one on The House on Haunted Hill.

Bought these dvds on lunch break:
- Freedom Writers (Hillary Swank and Patrick Dempsey)
- Idiocracy (Luke Wilson)
- Hot Fuzz
- The Fountain
- Disturbia
- Shooter
- The Last King of Scotland
- Breach
- Charlotte's Web
- Bridge to Terabithia
- Goal 2
- History Boys

Oh and btw Spoony, you know that Haneke is going to directed the american version of Funny Games? Interesting to know that will turn out, seeing he's the director of the original version.

Yeah. Funny Games was alright. . . I was a bit disappointed if I'm honest. Second half was the best. . .and I liked(spoiler) the scene straight after the child was killed, but I didn't see the point of them talking into the camera. . . and the part where he rewinded the action. Pointless.

Seventh Seal - Brilliant. Very accessible too. Some brilliant cinematography to go with the obvious questions about the meaning of life.

Pretty In Pink After really enjoying watching Some Kind Of Wonderful a few weeks ago I was looking forward to watching this again but it was a huge let down. With the exceptiuon of James Spader the acting wasn't that great and even the soundtrack was dull except for the title track by Phycadelic Furs. You can see why Molly Ringwald didn't go on to be an A list adult actor. 3/10

In the Mood for Love - As close to art as you'll get on screen. My first film by Kar Wai Wong, but it's clear he's an artist. Every scene was well composed, by this I mean aesthetically. . . almost painting like. I also loved his use of music. . . in fact it was so beautifully done, that you could easily turn it off, put some classical music on and still enjoy it. Aside from the brilliant cinematography, it was brilliantly acted and well paced. . . sure it was slow, but it was still thoroughly engrossing, in fact hypnotic would be a more suitable word. (oh and I loved the way you almost felt like a voyeur, due to the long shots. . .looking through doorways, ends of corridors etc etc)

Beautiful film.

In the Mood for Love - As close to art as you'll get on the screen. My first film by Kar Wai Wong, but it's clear he's an artist. Every scene was well composed, by this I mean aesthetically. . . almost painting like. I also loved his use of music. . . in fact it was so beautifully done, that you could easily turn it off, put some classical music on and still enjoy it. Aside from the brilliant cinematography, it was brilliantly acted and well paced. . . sure it was slow, but it was still thoroughly engrossing, in fact hypnotic would be a more suitable word. (oh and I loved the way you almost felt like a voyeur, due to the long shots. . .looking through doorways, ends of corridors etc etc)

Beautiful film.
Phenomenal movie. Shame 2046 wasn't as good.

When I started as a self employed person I wasn't working that much, so I managed to watch about 3-5 films a day. In 2004 I watched over 1000 movies. How old are you?

33. . . going on 15.

A 1000 movies. fecking Hell. That's amazing. . . you are my hero. That said, at 24 I doubt I could've watched some of the film you've seen(and that I've seen recently). Solyaris for example. . . no chance.

Reckon you and Cinc have probably seen the most films on here.

33. . . going on 15.

A 1000 movies. fecking Hell. That's amazing. . . you are my hero. That said, at 24 I doubt I could've watched some of the film you've seen(and that I've seen recently). Solyaris for example. . . no chance.

Reckon you and Cinc have probably seen the most films on here.
I want to be a director so what better way to figure out what I should be doing then watching everything I can get my hands on.

I want to be a director so what better way to figure out what I should be doing then watching everything I can get my hands on.

I'd love to make films and all. I agree, nothing better than watching films by the best directors. I was stunned at how good In the Mood for Love was for example. . . I'd love to direct something like that.

Mammoth Aliens return to earth after a small tracer beacon is found in frozen mammoth in a US museum. The beacon is turned on for no apparent reason and aliens send a small stainless steel ball to earth which brings the mammoth to life. Mammoth goes mental. and it just gets sillier from here on in. This film makes Men In Black 2 look like an Oscar winner. Even Forrest Gump would see the plot flaws and ask why the special effects were so shit. The ending is even worse than the rest of the film. 0.01/1000

Why are you watching these films, Wibble???

Do yourself a favour and watch In the Mood for Love, for Evans sake.

The Illusionist A mystery/love story set in turn of the century Vienna. Think Upstairs Downstairs meets The Prestige. Looks good and quite well acted but predictable and a bit rubbish in the final analysis. 5/10

To give him his due he hated Mammoth and went off to watch The Return Of The Jedi straight afterwards. He is also a huge Blade Runner fan.

You started watching the original Zatoichi's yet spoony?

Not yet, Ole.

Here's what I've got to see(Downloaded/downloading). Tell me what you thought of them.

Yojima
Seven Samurai
The Hidden Fortress
Izo
Chung King Express
Bin Jip(3 Iron)
Days of Being Wild
Rainy Dog(still haven't gotten around to watching it)
The Quiet Family