Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Forrest Gump's about that spaz, isn't it? Sentimental bollocks if you ask me. No idea what the film was about though. . . what was the underlying message again?(not seen it for years)

I watched Ichi the Killer, last night, expecting it to be rubbish. Sure it could be argued that it didn't have a purpose like Oldboy and the characters were a bit vague. . . perhaps 2-D, the film however, was brilliant fun to watch, if fun is the right word. It was horrific, hilarious, thrilling and surreal in parts. . . the film was excellently shot too, I thought it as very stylish, almost anime-like. My only gripe with the film was that it could've possibly been 15mins shorter, but other than that, no complaints at all. Totally loved it. Brilliant.

Can't wait to Takashi Miike's other film in my collection called Rainy Dog. Apparently Tarantino ripped this film off in Kill Bill. . . sorry, I mean paid homage to it.

The Conversation

Didn't like it. Like Vertigo, it could well be a classic for that age alone but not timeless classics which left me very disappointed for I had seen 4 of those from FFC. Hackman's fine, Cazale's tidy as always

5/10 and I feel I'm being biased

:lol: You never cease to surprise me

You like Vertigo as well don't you?

Apocalypse Now, Godfather II, Godfather I

If Conversation is regarded as his best work following those three amazing works of masterclass, then it seems an insult to the man

Vertigo was alright. One of Hitchcock's lesser works.

And no I don't think The Conversation is FFC's best. Godfather II is. But the Conversation's awesome too.

You never cease to surprise me too.

Both his Godfather films are better than Apocalypse Now. As for Hitchcock, I actually think Rebecca's better than Rear Window.

Last night I watched Failan.

Plot summary:

'After losing both her parents, Failan (Cecilia Cheung) emmigrates to Korea to seek her only remaining relatives. . .'

Beautiful film. . . not too aggressive, subtle, and nicely paced. Fine performances by Min-sik Choi (Oldboy) and the pretty Cecilia Cheung(both of whom the film is centred around, even though, they don't actually meet till half way through the film). . I thought it was very moving. . probably one of the saddest films I've seen in a while, but it also had plenty of heart warming moments. The ending was perfect. Find it amazing that it's virtually unheard of. . .

Reckon Cinc, Wibble and Mehro, in particular, would love it. . . so download it, cnuts.

I thought it was good. Not an easy watch granted. . . took me ages to get into it.

Watch Repulsion. A masterpiece on second viewing, but a difficult watch. . . unlike say Rosemary's Baby which was very accessible(IMO). Was joking don't watch it yet. . . see his other stuff first. Watch Failan and Ichi the Killer next, Salv. Both polar opposites. . . but equally as enjoyable.

Different people have different opinions but I think the main person who would regard The Conversation as Coppola's best work is Coppola himself. I thought it was good, but I read it straight after finishing his biography and to be honest I was a little disappointed - I wanted to like it more than I did because of how important it was to him.

I thought it was good. Not an easy watch granted. . . took me ages to get into it.

Watch Repulsion. A masterpiece on second viewing, but a difficult watch. . . unlike say Rosemary's Baby which was very accessible(IMO). Was joking don't watch it yet. . . see his other stuff first. Watch Failan and Ichi the Killer next, Salv. Both polar opposites. . . but equally as enjoyable.

You got them through Torrents or ordered it?

Going through Kubrick and Polanski's work is next on my agenda. Since you seem to rate Korean movies so highly, I'd be looking into those after that

Different people have different opinions but I think the main person who would regard The Conversation as Coppola's best work is Coppola himself. I thought it was good, but I read it straight after finishing his biography and to be honest I was a little disappointed - I wanted to like it more than I did because of how important it was to him.

Doubt he truly rated Conversation as his best. He didn't even pay complete attention to it

You got them through Torrents or ordered it?

Going through Kubrick and Polanski's work is next on my agenda. Since you seem to rate Korean movies so highly, I'd be looking into those after that

Failan was a torrent. Ichi's actually Japanese(Takashi Miike), I've had that in my DVD collection for ages.

Start with the Vengeance trilogy(Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance), Tale of Two Sisters and A Bittersweet Life. (I've actually got all those on DVD, but you'll be able to get them on torrent, no doubt).

Hot Fuzz The forst 30/40 minutes were promising but after that it fizzled and ended up being very disappointing. You will get a few laughs but it could have been so much better. Cutting half an hour of filler would have been a start. 4/10

66 Sold as being in the same vein as Bridget Jones and About a Boy but in reality a very different animal. A great premise following the events leading up to the central character's Bar Mitzvah on the day of the 66 WC final game but it didn't know if it wanted to be a drama or a comedy and ended up falling between two stools. Shame. Worth a watch on DVD but don't expect too many laughs or to be especially uplift. 5/10

Coppola

I didn't think that much of The Conversation, it seemed rather self indulgent if i remember correctly. Having said that it was a long time ago that I saw it so I wouldn't mind giving it another try.

Of his other films I would order them

Godfather 2
Apocalypse Now
Goodfather 1 (some way behind)

My Sassy Girl(another Korean film).

'based on a series of true stories posted by Ho-sik Kim on the Internet describing his relationship with his girlfriend'.

I loved it. Insane at times, which made you question how authentic the stories actually were (however the film was very faithful to the journals written by the kid). . . but the film was very enjoyable. . .in fact hilarious. The relationship has to be one of the bizarrest, ever. From the way they met up to their personalities. The lad was so submissive, that I didn't know whether to feel sorry for him, or punch him on his nose. . . he reminds me of my cousin. The weirdo. I guess it was like Lost in Translation on speed.

Fantastic film. One of the best I've seen lately. Apparently it's going be remade by Hollywood (christ's sake)

My Sassy Girl(another Korean film).

'based on a series of true stories posted by Ho-sik Kim on the Internet describing his relationship with his girlfriend'.

I loved it. Insane at times, which made you question how authentic the stories actually were (however the film was very faithful to the journals written by the kid). . . but the film was very enjoyable. . .in fact hilarious. The relationship has to be one of the bizarrest, ever. From the way they met up to their personalities. The lad was so submissive, that I didn't know whether to feel sorry for him, or punch him on his nose. . . he reminds me of my cousin. The weirdo. I guess it was like Lost in Translation on speed.

Fantastic film. One of the best I've seen lately. Apparently it's going be remade by Hollywood (christ's sake)

So you liked it. I spoke to this Korean girl recently and she was told me that movie is very unrealistic actually. No Korean girls are like that. BUt still, a great movie.

She also told me that the younger sister from A tale of Two Sisters has become a huge star in Korea now.

So you liked it. I spoke to this Korean girl recently and she was told me that movie is very unrealistic actually. No Korean girls are like that. BUt still, a great movie.

She also told me that the younger sister from A tale of Two Sisters has become a huge star in Korea now.

Yes. Apparently the reason why she stopped seeing him was because her parents were very strict(like most Korean families). But I've had a scan of the original journals, and the film seems to be very faithful to them. My thought was that he probably portrayed himself as a naive victim, and her the loud mouth spoilt girl, after they broke up.(although, I'm not too sure about the timescale of journals ie when he wrote them - during or after their bizarre relationship.) But yeah, I loved it. Not unlike Amelie. . . actually I'm finding it hard to describe.

Glad you liked it anyway. It was the first Korean movie I ever saw and I haven't found many better.

Well, was as enjoyable as any I've seen. Save the Green Planet's another one that's insanely brilliant. The other ones are pretty well known outside of Korea(JSA was very good in parts, but overall wasn't great). I've got a few more on my list, Summer, Spring, Autumn and Winter, for starters, then I'll move onto Kar Wai Wong's work(you could recommend me some). Also going to watch Gozu, Bird People in China and Rainy Dog(I've loved Miike's films, that I have watched) and Dolls and a few others by Kitano, I've decided to hop from region to region. Stick to the Far East for now.