Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Aronofsky knows how to structure, pace and shoot beautifully. I'll watch it when I get it and decide how I feel about all the other stuff, it could be a while before I get it mind.

Re the soundtrack, was it done by the orchestra he always uses? If so what the feck is their name as I've forgotten it?

Nah, it was rubbish. And like I said, it manipulates the viewer's emotions far too much, much like Green Mile. As I said, cheap. This may surprise you, but people do enjoy taking drugs. . . the problem with this film is that it's very blinkered. And addiction's a very bad thing. . . most addicts feel like like shit after taking or doing something they're addicted to. The film showed none of this, and it's clear he's go no idea what he's talking about. People who haven't taken drugs loved this film. People with experience of it, hated it. That tells me a lot. Sure, show it to schoolkids. But any adult with an ounce of intelligence, will see that film for what it is. . .
This reminds of the time when Slabber rate apocalypse now as a shite movie.

Anyone who doesn't rate Apocalypse Now should be banned from watching movies

Spoons is largely right about the drugs addiction thing Crapp. Jennifer Connoley's arse should've won Best Supporting Actress

Saw Full Metal jacket again yesterday. The second half isn't close to being as good as the first. Have to watch more of Kubrick's works, although finding a pig that flies is easier than finding old movies in here

I have The Pianist and Citizen Kane on hand. Which one should I go with?

I liked PI(saw it years ago, though). I've not seen The Fountain, though.

Oh I watched Tape the other day. Really enjoyed it.

The Fountain is a prime example really. Amazingly shot, really fecking beautiful to watch. Even Hugh Jackman comes up smelling of roses. But it dwells on it's point for far too long really, over-emphasis basically stops it from being an amazing film.

The Fountain is a prime example really. Amazingly shot, really fecking beautiful to watch. Even Hugh Jackman comes up smelling of roses. But it dwells on it's point for far too long really, over-emphasis basically stops it from being an amazing film.
I didn't like Fountain at all.

Pianist it is. My first of Polanski's work

I might watch Repulsion tonight.

Well, I saw 20 minutes of The Fountain, and actually got into it, but wasn't able to watch it all, for whatever reason. I'll see it again, sometime next week.

The Fountain is one of those movies that you need to watch a second time.

Salv, you should be able to find Kubrick's movies online without too much trouble. Dr. Strangelove, The Killing, Paths of Glory are all brilliant.

Dr Strangelove could possibly me fav movie of all time. I am addicted to watching it again and again.

The Fountain is one of those movies that you need to watch a second time.

Salv, you should be able to find Kubrick's movies online without too much trouble. Dr. Strangelove, The Killing, Paths of Glory are all brilliant.

Yup. Torrents are my only saving grace. Even that comes with a stumbling block, i.e my snail-like 64 Kbps server. I'm shifting to a new connection which gives me access to the LAN and hence all the recent movies

Thankfully, with my increasing film addiction rubbing off onto a few of my mates along with a mutual interest I can also get a few more rarities. I'd be getting Gone With The Wind and Casablanca in a week's time. And Psycho

Eh?

Yeah, I think they played all of those. It wasn't Live Earth, it was the night after. They were on for about two hours. I don't really hate them, as such, and they put on a pretty good show.

It finished at about ten, and the last train back from Fenchurch Street, to anywhere near where we live, was at 10:40. For some reason, I was the only one who seemed in anyway concerned by this.

Pianist I really liked. Very well made movie on an overall basis. Richly deserved on its praise

The Poland situation of the war has been portrayed in Schindler's List so well that it remains a cliche for any movie trying to base its story on it. The Pianist had to carve its niche by telling the personal tale of Władek Szpilman and that it does with great exception

nike-trainer-3-transformers-2_crop.jpg

Transformers

You can't really go wrong with a film about giant robots, who have a tendancy to go around blowing stuff up. doubly so when they can also change into fast cars, jets, and other cool stuff (Or in one case, a crappy looking blue truck). It was entertaining enough, and didn't try to pretend it wasn't silly.

Pros;
- It's a film about giant robots blowing up stuff
- Will Smith isn't in it this time
- explosions, pointless clips of people hurrying about at the Pentagon, a room full of computers with a giant screen at the front, which suddenly stops working - All the usual stuff

Cons;
- The non-evil transformers would be better placed in a disney film; "we must protect the humans", "I will sacrifice myself to save the humans", "there was no way to free bumblebee without harming the humans", "I wish to stay with the boy" - gayers
- During the final fight sequence, I was having major problems in telling who was who, and eventualy gave up
- You get the feeling this could have been so much cooler

7/10 - not crap

Repulsion. The film was about a young women who goes insane. Watched this last night. . . must say it was a difficult watch, especially the middle part of it, in fact perhaps the whole first hour. That said, it was a good film, but I think a woman would find more chilling.

It's rubbish. I watched it at the cinema, and after the first 10 minutes we thought it was going to be the best film ever. Turned out to be really grating, with random cinematography to glaze over the endlessly repeating story line. Even most of the fighting is a let down, but then I hate really OTT wire work.

It's rubbish. I watched it at the cinema, and after the first 10 minutes we thought it was going to be the best film ever. Turned out to be really grating, with random cinematography to glaze over the endlessly repeating story line. Even most of the fighting is a let down, but then I hate really OTT wire work.

I only saw 10 mins. Thought it looked fantastic. Don't mind OOT wire work, myself. So it's basically style over substance?