Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Reeves' acting in My Own Private Idaho suprised me, not that it was above average or anything, just that it only occured to me afterwards that he's supposed to be a really awful actor.

Bellflower - Evan Glodell (2011)

Really liked this movie. Made on a total shoestring budget, unknown actors acting fantastically, weird narrative where you can just sit back and wait for whatever thing to happen, without it having to makes so much sense. Life's pretty much like that, imo. It has stuff for everybody; bit of romance, comedy, shit blowing up, car bollocks, road trip, violence, people fecking up in big ways, hotties, great soundtrack, etc. Loved the filming and camera work. Very artistic, unpretentious feel to it. They did something I've never seen before in a film - some mud splattered on the camera, but they just kept filming with it there and it was a brilliant effect. Should see some big things from Evan Glodell in the future. A definite auteur. He starred in the film as well.

8 1/2 cocks up.

Reeves' acting in My Own Private Idaho suprised me, not that it was above average or anything, just that it only occured to me afterwards that he's supposed to be a really awful actor.

Yup. He was pretty ok (as a horrible git) in The Gift too.

Reeves had an odd start to his career, he's not overly awful in Rivers Edge either.

12 Angry Men

A 1957 classic with Henry Fonda in leading role. All the story takes place in a room during a trial process in a murder case.

Probably the best movie I have ever seen that is not part of a franchise and maybe the best movie I have seen in last 10 years. The acting is without a doubt the best I have ever seen, all scenes are well acted and well written. If you haven't watched it, what are you waiting for?! 10/10

Probably the best movie I have ever seen that is not part of a franchise and maybe the best movie I have seen in last 10 years. The acting is without a doubt the best I have ever seen, all scenes are well acted and well written. If you haven't watched it, what are you waiting for?!

New glasses.

12 Angry Men

A 1957 classic with Henry Fonda in leading role. All the story takes place in a room during a trial process in a murder case.

Probably the best movie I have ever seen that is not part of a franchise and maybe the best movie I have seen in last 10 years. The acting is without a doubt the best I have ever seen, all scenes are well acted and well written. If you haven't watched it, what are you waiting for?! 10/10

That's a depressing statement.

:lol: It's all Blade Runner's fault

I rate The Matrix, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and probably even The Return of The King higher (all part of franchises).

I meant it in terms of the film industry milking succesful films and churning out sequels.

Right up in that top tier of movies, for me.

I wouldn't disagree with such a choice... I just wanted to clarify if that is what he's indeed saying. Though, it's very much the odd one out compared to his other four mind you!

But yes, It's certainly one of my favourite films from the 50's... along with probably Seven Samurai and Rebel Without a Cause... and Hitchcock's stuff.

Really? Star wars, The Godfather, Indiana Jones...

There are some great movies that were part of 'franchises', and some of them are in my top 10/20.

There are some great movies that are part of franchises, but there are also some absolutely atrocious or average films that become franchises because the studios cash in on success. For example (To include recent updates to classic franchises you mentioned), Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones IV, Chipmunks, Scary Movies, step up, fast and furious etc.

In my opinion, the poor franchises far outweigh the good ones.

Yeah, Sunset Blv. is in a league of its own.... I reckon it'd make my top 10.

Yeah probably. That & Seven Samurai would be the two 50s films to make my top 10. Ikiru, Paths of Glory, and one of Vertigo/Real Window/North by Northwest would probably be top 20.

I've still to see Night of The Hunter & On the Waterfront.

Yeah probably. That & Seven Samurai would be the two 50s films to make my top 10. Ikiru, Paths of Glory, and one of Vertigo/Real Window/North by Northwest would probably be top 20.

If I'd seen that one as a kid I would have had nightmares about Robert Mitchum for years.

Have you seen A Streetcar Named Desire or The Seventh Seal?

As Nils said... A Streetcar Named Desire. Also Throne of Blood and Some Like It Hot(which you may or may not like).

Not a big Williams fan tbh. But then I may be prejudiced by being made to do it at A Level. Haven't seen Seventh Seal yet. I don't like Some Like It Hot. Most comedies from that era feel very dated to me. Didn't like The Apartment for example. It's more of it's time than say, Strangelove, is.

From 12 Angry Men, you should go to Anatomy of a Murder and Witness for the Prosecution next. Find most Film Noir films from that era have dated the most, except a handful which I hugely enjoy, Sunset, Sweet Smell being the main two.

Not a big Williams fan tbh. But then I may be prejudiced by being made to do it at A Level. Haven't seen Seventh Seal yet. I don't like Some Like It Hot. Most comedies from that era feel very dated to me. Didn't like The Apartment for example. It's more of it's time than say, Strangelove, is.

ASND is all about the performances from Leigh and Brando really. The films of the Marx Brothers are the only old comedies I've seen that I reckon still hold ups well today. Cary Grant screwball comedies on the other hand are pure torture imo.

There are some great movies that are part of franchises, but there are also some absolutely atrocious or average films that become franchises because the studios cash in on success. For example (To include recent updates to classic franchises you mentioned), Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones IV, Chipmunks, Scary Movies, step up, fast and furious etc.

In my opinion, the poor franchises far outweigh the good ones.

Y U no like jar jar?? :(

What! I don't remember CT being naked in that. When exactly?

Pretty sure that from memory it was looking through a window and she was cutting herself of something. Could be wrong though about the scene, but she 100% got the norks out. I never forget a set of norks.

Y U no like jar jar?? :(

Pretty sure that from memory it was looking through a window and she was cutting herself of something. Could be wrong though about the scene, but she 100% got the norks out. I never forget a set of norks.

I was promised bush...if you are lying about that then there will be blood. I think she showed bits in Monster but the look of her made it a very tough wank.

If you wanked to monster you have problems. I never promised the bushy bowl, Saliph mentioned that.

Pretty certain about it, but I'm sure with a few minutes and our friend google you could find out.

If you wanked to monster you have problems. I never promised the bushy bowl, Saliph mentioned that.

Pretty certain about it, but I'm sure with a few minutes and our friend google you could find out.

I can't help myself with Christina Ricci...except for Addams Family of course!