Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Thanks to you lads, I just watched The Raid. It's brilliant. The fight scenes are incredible, and I have never really been a fan of martial arts films. I see the director has another film called Merantau. Any of you seen that?

I've seen Merantau. It was a bit long, and has much more drama than The Raid. It moves a bit slowly at start, but when the main character (played by Iko Uwais, the sama guy who played Rama in The Raid) start kicking ass it was so good.
The story got a little bit of Ong Bak (a kid from small village trying to made a name of himself in the big city, only to get tangled up in something bigger), but the execution is better IMO.
This is my favorite fighting scene on the movie, brilliant use of (limited) space to kick ass. This scene features both Iko and Yayan Ruhian (Mad Dog in The Raid)

I've just seen this and I think it gave me a concussion. Action from start to finish. If I'd have to nitpick I'd even say the amount of action gets in the way for it to be a great film, still very good mind you.

That wouldn't be nitpicking IMHO.Every movie can be criticized in some way, it just exceeded what I expected it to be.I truly enjoyed it even if some things could have been better of course

Palookaville - Alan Taylor

Watching this 90s comedy felt like watching a sort of French comedy, except done with dumbass actors from Joisey, and their dumbass voices and gestures, especially that of Vincent Gallo. Actually the actors were mostly top rate actors which I think made the movie palatable and even pretty fecking funny and good at times, especially the scenes with Gallo. It was a decent watch, nothing offensive which so often happens in comedy. After reading up on it afterwards, I saw it was based on three Italo Calvino stories of post war Italy, which explains the sort of Euro schtick foisted upon New Joisey. These stories must've been very old Calvino stories before he made that abrupt change in style and content.

6 cocks up.

LOCKOUT

A pretty decent action movie set on a prison ship in space. Guy Pierce, the hero with all the witty one liners, comes to the rescue of the President's daughter who is caught up in a break out by the inmates. I quite enjoyed leaving my brain in the freezer for this. Easy to digest and a decent way to kill a couple of hours. Plenty of action and Maggie Grace, who plays the first daughter is well hot.

The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - 6/10

Worth a watch but at the same time a very forgettable movie...but I think that's all superhero movies are meant to be. There was a charm and quirkiness to the movie that wasn't there in previous ones and a nice chemistry between the two leads. Didn't think the Lizard was particularly well done but I liked Dr Connors.

Don't watch it in 3d, there's no need at all. I watched it for a good half-hour without the glasses and it made no difference other than the odd object looking a bit fuzzy, but when you stuck on the glasses there was no depth added whatsoever...one of the worst I've seen so far for 3d.

Friends with kids - After seeing the cast for this I thought I'd give it a go, especially as it is sitting on a 70% review score on Rotten Tomatoes but my god do I regret it. The storyline is predictable to the point that I'd figured it out from the opening scene, the script is tired and self congratulating, the characters are all consumed by problems that don't matter so you don't care for them and worst of all it isn't funny. I actually skipped through the last 45 minutes because I couldn't bear to watch anymore which is unusual for me.

Oh and Chris O'Dowd does possibly one of the worst attempts at an accent since Dick Van Dyke which spoils his performance, especially considering it made no difference where his character was from so he needn't have bothered.

avoid

A quick search tells me no one has mentioned Taken in this thread, which I find hard to believe, unless they just didn't have the adequate superlatives in their vocabulary to do it justice, so I'll give it a go, with as few spoilers as possible, but just in case:

When people ask me what my favourite film is, I can't give a definitive answer, because for me, Inception, though very different, is every bit as good as Taken. There is no 1 & 2, they're just both top of my list.

For me, and I imagine everyone else, you get attached to characters, and unlike TV shows where you get numerous episodes to do that, you have about 15 minutes in a film, and Taken does it brilliantly. I watched Children of Men recently and I wasn't impressed, but that's in part down to the fact that I couldn't care less what happened to any of the characters. It didn't give enough of a backstory for me to actually care, whereas you know instantly that Bryan Mills loves his daughter more than life. He pays great attention to detail, and when he's looking at the karaoke machine, the owner says "If I charged you a dollar for every time you looked at this machine, you'd already own it." Because it needs to be perfect for his daughter.

He then gets upstaged at Kim's birthday party by the stepfather, and you can see how much it saddens him.

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON IN:
Then of course, after numerous warnings expressing caution and doubt at Kim going abroad, she goes missing. There's no 'I told you so' about it, it's as if he expected it, then of course, comes one of the great movie lines of all time: "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." Neeson's delivery of that line is chilling.

Then of course we see him go about his business using his aforementioned skills to track down 'Marko'. Two absolutely incredible parts come very quickly. We see him scanning the room for Marko, checking out their appearances. He thinks he's got him, and gets him to repeat the "Good luck". "You don't remember me do you? I told you I'd find you." It is on!

Then follows the 'torture' scene. The very scene that made me almost not watch it. My dad was about to watch it, and I saw on the DVD cover that it contained a scene of torture, and that sort of thing just isn't for me. Seeing James Bond have his bollocks smashed to bits turned my stomach. But it's alright, he's electrocuting the guy who took his daughter, so who cares? Then comes another brilliant line: "I believe you... but it's not going to save you." Cold-hearted, ruthless killer.

There are many little nuances for the rest of the film as it goes about its business, until the inevitable happens, and he finds Kim, and they all live happily ever after.

10/10, faultless film. I can't believe that there are people out there who still haven't seen it and if you are one of those, read the first part of the spoiler, and do it.

Poor man's Man on Fire. Decent film though.

Days of Heaven - How did I make it this far without ever having seen this amazing film? Maybe the most beautiful movie I've seen. Made back in 1978. It's got Richard Gere and a couple of other faces that I recognized, but it's not about the performances, aside from the kid doing the narration, who was superb.

Managed to catch it on the big screen on an immaculate print. Amazing that Terence Malick. Born right there in Waco Texas and all.

Just went and saw it again tonight. Last night on the big screen. What a piece of magic. Do yourself a favor.

Just back from The Dark Knight Rises midnight. Very, very good I thought. My favorite of the Batman movies I've seen and I went in with relatively low expectations.

Won't say what I thought about key elements as the majority of people won't have seen it yet, but in all I liked it.

Although one thing I will say is
there are lots of parallels you can draw with Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York". In some scenes, it was almost a shot for shot re-shoot in a different setting.

Days of Heaven - How did I make it this far without ever having seen this amazing film? Maybe the most beautiful movie I've seen. Made back in 1978. It's got Richard Gere and a couple of other faces that I recognized, but it's not about the performances, aside from the kid doing the narration, who was superb.

Managed to catch it on the big screen on an immaculate print. Amazing that Terence Malick. Born right there in Waco Texas and all.

Must have looked amazing on a big screen.

Aeon Flux - 5/10 and being generous

Terrible, horrible. Charlize was superhot as usual, though.

5/10 for a terrible, horrible movie?

4/10 + one for Charlize.

Saying that, it was not the worst movie on the Earth but still pretty stupid. Also, I doubt that I have more than 10 movies rated less than 5 in my IMDB list.feck

Pretty sure theres a few Malick fans here, so a fair few seen it. Prefer Badlands from his 70's two though, but it's close, and they are his best for me(though I also rate Thin Red Line very highly too.)

Days of Heaven is probably the most apt film there is to freeze-frame every shot of and hang on a wall.

Really looking forward to his upcoming film, To the Wonder. We'll probably have to wait another year for him to complete the editing though...

Pretty sure theres a few Malick fans here, so a fair few seen it. Prefer Badlands from his 70's two though, but it's close, and they are his best for me(though I also rate Thin Red Line very highly too.)

Have to say Badlands left me a little unmoved as its really hard to like any of the two main characters(despite Sheen being one of my favourite actors). I think Days of Heaven is a much more well rounded and certainly better looking movie.

Yeah I liked Badlands as well, though I never knew it as a Malick film. I love the way they'd just (literally) drive across country.

G.I. Joe - The raise of cobra 6/10

Good special effects, good action, shit story and even worse acting.

In time 7/10

Concept was interesting, but the implementation of it was far from great.

More - Barbet Shroeder (1969)

Vintage culty 60s tale of search for self discovery, rebellious youth, dwugs and handy sexual play . . . and of course a classical soundtrack from very early Pink Floyd. It's weighted down by stilted acting and stilted dialogues, much of which is delivered in English as a second language in goofey 60s speak. We follow the German protaganist on his 60s hijinks through drug discovery with his messed up, gorgeous, small breasted liberated American sweetheart off to the Ibiza of a pre Rave time when Euro youth were just discovering this paradise. The beautiful landscapes and its fascinating Moorish past in the architecture accompanied by the psychedelic sounds of Pink Floyd I thought were the best part of this film. You get a real sense of warm nostalgia for how incredible it would've been to be hanging out young and care free in 60s Ibiza. feck me, how I'd like to go back in time.

The movie definitely lollygags on too long but is saved by Shroeder's obvious awe of Ibiza and Pink Floyd. The soundtrack of More has always been one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums. One of the rare records that David Gilmore does all the singing. It was just after they had dropped Syd Barret but you can still hear loads of his influence.

7 cocks up

Blade Runner 5/10

I'm probably going to be crucified for this, but it looked terrible to me and didn't live in it's hype. Shame cause I was expecting a really great movie.

And by the way, why old movies are so slow motion?

wTfxt.gif

... Blade Runner gets a lower rating then G.I Joe and In Time?!

Okay then.

I really was disappointed on it. Probably because expectation was very high. Also, I was very tempted to leave watching in the middle of the movie. I don't understand what was so good on it. Plot at best was average, the love story wasn't that strong either, and the final fight was disgraceful. Also, the music in final fight was pretty bad too.

On another note, why in old movies directors overrate that much technology. fecking hell, the movie was only in 2018.

About rating, to me 6 is ok and 7 is good. Blade Runner to me wasn't ok.

Well, to be fair, not everyone likes the same stuff. For example, I thought a low-budget Aussie film was a masterpiece, but Pauldy thought it was crap. In short, I blame Pauldy. Bye.

... Blade Runner gets a lower rating then G.I Joe and In Time?!

Okay then.

:lol:

The Change Up: Tired overdone life swap genre gets a lazy rubbish update. On the plus side, Olivia Wilde is very hot in it!

The Dark Knight Rises: A couple of nitpicky flaws, but it was a very enjoyable film and at least on par with the rest of the trilogy.