Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Saw the midnight screening last night. It's a faithful and well made adaptation. It's clearly made for a PG audience and that really shows, there hardly and violence and any comparisons to Battle Royale are going to be pointless. There were some groan-out-loud moments when they try to amp up the love-angles but for the most part its well shot and well-acted. Oh, and its going to make a truck load of money if the audience reaction for a midnight show is anything to go by.

Yep I'd agree with all of that. To be fair they had to make it PG 13 or they would have lost a lot of money, something they need if the studio's going to green light the sequels. The cinema was full of teenage girls so looks like the decision paid off.

I still found it a bit odd that movie involving killing young people in cold blood came off as PG. Enjoyed it thoroughly though, great fun.

I've watched Mission Impossible 4 last night. Pretty dull, yet outlandish storyline, but there's a rhythm to it. If it didnt feature Tom Cruise it would be a 6/10, with him its only a 5/10. I had a very strong Moonraker vibe watching it, strangely.

Episode 50

Two groups enter a haunted abondoned mentel hospital,one group to prove demons exist and the other to debunk the whole theory
Well strange things happen , well no stranger than this film being made , it was a pile of horseshit. Totally wasted 78 mins of my life

2/10

ATM

Another god awful film , 2 men and a girl trapped in an walkin ATM
There is a mad man outside keeping them trapped
Very predictable until the end and that was just plain daft
I hope they don't make another one but I think they will

2/10

SENNA: Simply brilliant documentary that manages to capture the public story of the late Senna perfectly. Its actually quite hard to put your finger on what it does so well and what makes it so great until you realise that you haven't seen one talking head during the 90+ running time. Just a beautiful story told by those who were part of the story, with pretty much all(visual) fotage used being that taken at the period being documented. Puts you right in the drivers seat(no pun intended) of the public life of a motor racing legend. A great watch even for non-racing fans.

8.5/10

I've watched Mission Impossible 4 last night. Pretty dull, yet outlandish storyline, but there's a rhythm to it. If it didnt feature Tom Cruise it would be a 6/10, with him its only a 5/10. I had a very strong Moonraker vibe watching it, strangely.

Bootlegged Dvd?

I'm pretty sure the burj Khalifah is quite breathtaking seen on the cinema

Hunger Games: Interesting film featuring shades of Running Man and Battle Royale. I enjoyed it, It certainly wasn't without its flaws, but I found myself rooting for the main character which always helps the enjoyment factor in films of this nature. I was interested in how they'd managed to deal with the subject matter and keep a low age rating, and they utilised what I like to call the "Bourne method" where the use of blur allows you to see action without actually seeing any action. They also used some last second cut aways and selective focus.
I'd like to have known a bit more about the reasons behind the society becoming a dystopian nightmare, but overall I would recommend it.

21 jump street: Pretty good comedy fare with some genuinely chucklesome moments. The relationship between Hill and Tatum was surprisingly endearing and it made for an enjoyable film.

Ghostrider 2. 0/10. It might have been the worst film I've ever seen. I knew that going into it, but still. It was worse than I expected. There are no redeeming factors.

Downloaded it last night. And The beginning was rather crap, but even then I thought i could give it a shot. But then there was these dialogue:

"May be you're not a murderer. But you did something the rider wouldn't want to see. A white lie, an illegal download..."

And that's when I shift deleted the movie from my hard drive.

Those Burj scenes were fantastic to watch at Imax. Not the sort of movie you can watch at home.

Downloaded it last night. And The beginning was rather crap, but even then I thought i could give it a shot. But then there was these dialogue:

"May be you're not a murderer. But you did something the rider wouldn't want to see. A white lie, an illegal download..."

And that's when I shift deleted the movie from my hard drive.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I audibly groaned when he said that in theaters.

Watched two very good and fairly recent Italian films this weekend. Both featuring the great actor Toni Servillo.

Una Vita Tranquilla/ A Quiet Life (2010)
Older Italian man living a quiet life in Wiesbaden with his German family, sees his past catch up with him. Well acted, well paced interesting story. I loved it. 8/10

Le Conseguenze di Amore (2004)
Very old school Italian, yet still very modern. Slow paced, stunning photography, hot chick. Good flick. 7/10

I occasionally enjoy a bad movie or two, but I wouldn't even think about watching Ghostrider 2, especially at the cinema!

Well done sir!

I have seen it and to be honest quite enjoyed it , I went in to it knowing what sort of film it would be.
It is far from the worst film I have ever seen , mind you it is also far from the best film I have ever seen

The Hunger Games (6/10)

I don't get what's the hype with this one, the acting is monotone, the plot's bit lame, and that girl can't act for shit. The camera is shaky, I wish she can just transform into a bad ass and start hunting down the boys with her bow or something predator style. What's worse than a gory battle royale with a whiter than all heroine who can't even kill a squirell (oh wait, she does kill one)

If you mean Lawrence that can't act.....then well....yeah no. She was more than fine in that, better than anyone you'll see in any other teen book adaptation(i.e Potter, Twilight, Narnia) recently...and was brilliant in Winters Bone.

I'll give you Elizabeth Banks if you randomly meant her though -_-

If you mean Lawrence that can't act.....then well....yeah no. She was more than fine in that, better than anyone you'll see in any other teen book adaptation(i.e Potter, Twilight, Narnia) recently...and was brilliant in Winters Bone.

I don't know which is which, Katniss (whom i meant monotone), I haven't read the book, probably that's how she was in the books.

There's a difference between not being a good character and not being a good actor/actress though. Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss) is an excellent young actress from what I've seen.

[Rec]: Don't really watch Spanish movies, but this one was a nice surprise. Some good moments here and there. 7/10

[Rec]: Don't really watch Spanish movies, but this one was a nice surprise. Some good moments here and there. 7/10

Loved that one. Great horror film. The sequel was predictably enough not as good, but still watchable.

I thought her acting was fine, I found myself getting concerned for Katniss, so she couldn't have been that bad!

Went to see hunger games I thought the movie was decent. Although I haven't read the book which could be the reason why I liked it. 7/10

21 Jump Street

This had been recommended to me by a few friends, so I went in with far higher expectations that I woud have otherwise. I wasn't disappointed, Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum makes a surprisingly funny double act.

Up there with the Hangover and Due Date as the best comedies of the last few years.

7.5/10

The Grey 3/4

Rather good, actually. Also, Liam Neeson has to be one of the most likeable guys ever.

Hugo great movie, the girl was very cute(no pervert) and the movie was great. 8/10

Strangers on a Train (1951) - 8

Robert Walker was sublime, shame it was his last big movie.

All About Eve (1950) - 8

Not quite Sunset Boulevard but not far off. Marilyn Monroe looked stunning in her brief cameo.

Hunger Games - Like Battle Royale, only far less brutal and interesting. It's also incoherent and way too cuddly for this kind of film. And the editing was annoying. I guess you could say it's like Battle Royale, only shit.

The Messengers- Run-of-the-mill horror, starring that guy from American Horror Story and playing out much like that series. 5/10

A Prophet- Film about a young Arab guy who goes to jail, gets used as a pawn by Corsican terrorists, they come to rely on him but still treat him like shit, lots of the Corsicans get out (thus losing their grip on the jail), he befriends the muslims, the muslims take over, he gets revenge on the Corsicans for treating him like shit, dah-de-dah-de-dah, it's a bit boring. And long. Yeah, long and boring. And French jails look soft. 4/10

Naked- Very enjoyable, if only for David Thewlis' tour-de-force. Anti-social Manc goes to London for the weekend, is annoyed by everybody he comes across, gets up to all kinds of shit and sleeps where he ends up. Lots of weird, sinister sex scenes. I don't know how to describe it. I just enjoyed it (though I had seen it before and am only reporting it here coz it was on Film 4 recently). One of those films that the arty-farty side of your personality feels smug about. Get it watched. 8/10

A Prophet- Film about a young Arab guy who goes to jail, gets used as a pawn by Corsican terrorists, they come to rely on him but still treat him like shit, lots of the Corsicans get out (thus losing their grip on the jail), he befriends the muslims, the muslims take over, he gets revenge on the Corsicans for treating him like shit, dah-de-dah-de-dah, it's a bit boring. And long. Yeah, long and boring. And French jails look soft. 4/10

jackie-chan-wtf.png

Girl With a Pearl Earring - Liked it. Vermeer is one of my favourite painters.

I watched the Ides of March this week, it was thoroughly unimpressive and is essentially a paint-by-numbers political drama - 5.5/10.

I'm just going to let Lindy West review Titanic. Cos it's Titanic, and it's shit, and she's usually bang on about shit films.

http://jezebel.com/5898432/i-re+watched-titanic-so-you-dont-have-to-youre-welcome

original.jpg

Here's the thing about Titanic, and the reason 15-year-old girls love it so much: James Cameron is a 15-year-old girl. All of the characters are either 15-year-old girls in disguise ("Parents just don't understand!" "Waaah, make the boat go faster!" "I know we literally met 20 minutes ago, but I love you with a suicidal fervor!"), or the kind of goofy caricatures that 15-year-old girls would write if we let 15-year-old girls write our blockbuster screenplays. It's She's All That on a Boat, only with Kate Winslet as Freddie Prinze Jr., Leonardo DiCaprio as that girl who isn't famous anymore, and also everyone freezes to death in the north Atlantic at the end.

Titanic is three hours and 14 minutes long, which—fun fact—is longer than the actual journey of the Titanic. It is sooooo ballsy to just assume people will watch your movie for three hours and 14 minutes! Especially when everyone already knows exactly what happens in the end (spoiler: the boat is Keyser Söze). Sorry, Epcot Center, I'mma let you finish, but James Cameron's balls are like the giantest balls of all time. It would take three hours and 14 minutes just to walk around the circumference of James Cameron's balls.

Anyway, here's what happens in Titanic. In case you forgot, it is terrible:

It starts out on a modern-times submarine. Bill Paxton is snooping around on the ocean floor trying to find a big necklace to impress Britney Spears. His character is clearly James Cameron's idea of what a cool person is like—he does stuff like wear male earrings and say "sayonara" in a sarcastic voice. Awww, yeeeeah. Pretty cool. Bill Paxton finds this old safe in the ocean, expecting it to be full of Titanic jewelz, but instead it's just an old doodle of some boobs. Total rip-off! ...OR IS IT?

An old lady recognizes her boob-doodle on the news and goes to visit Bill Paxton on his rock and roll treasure boat, where they make her watch a graphic CGI reenactment of the Titanic sinking (I believe the working title is Hey Granny, feck Your PTSD). Then she tells her story. Which is hella not pertinent to treasure-hunting, unless by "treasure" you mean "three hours of nonsense, garbage, terror, death, and delightful Italian stereotypes."

Turns out, that old lady used to be Kate Winslet, and one time she rode a big boat named Titanic. But she wasn't too happy about it! "It was the ship of dreams to everyone else," she says. "To me it was a slave ship, taking me back to America in chains." Yes. Because imprisonment, rape, and unpaid forced labor are just like having to marry Billy Zane and live in a fur-lined bon-bon palace for-literally-ever. (Also, it's 1911 right now, which means that real slavery has only been over for like…40 years? Maybe a little too soon for the flippant slavery metaphors?) She continues: "I saw my whole life as if I'd already lived it, an endless parade of parties and cotillions, yachts, and polo matches. Always the same narrow people, the same mindless chatter. I felt like I was standing at a great precipice, with no one to pull me back, no one who cared, or even noticed." Nobody notices me! Everyone is so fake! My polo pony is the wrong color! As you can see, Kate Winslet's life is just like slavery. She decides to just kill herself immediately so she doesn't have to face another terrible, terrible cotillion.

Luckily, along comes Leonardo "I Am Definitely Wearing Lipstick" DiCaprio, who is traveling to America with his friends Fabrizio (Human Olive Garden Commercial) and Tommy (five leprechauns standing on each other's shoulders wearing a long coat). Leonardo DiCaprio rescues her from suicide and she repays him by letting her entire family treat him like human feces for the last few days of his life. Then they fall in love.

Leonardo shows up at fancy dinner even though he is a stinky poor and Kate Winslet's mom hates him: "My mother looked at him like an insect—a dangerous insect that must be squished quickly." After dinner, Leonardo says, "Time for me to go row with the other slaves!" Again with the slave thing. YOU GUYS ARE HELLA NOT SLAVES. PLEASE READ A BOOK.

In an act of defiance, Kate Winslet sneaks downstairs to party with the simple folk. And look who's down there dancing a jig! "Aaaaaaaay! It's-a me, Fabrizio!" Fabrizio treats everybody to all-you-can-eat breadsticks and then invents the mafia. Can someone tell me why this movie wasn't entirely about Fabrizio? At the very least could I get a fan edit called Titanic 2: Fabrizio's Quest? (It is a quest for lasagna.) Get on it, somebody.

Okay. Next there's a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't involve Fabrizio at ALL, so w-evs. It's the Celine Dion part ("I'm flying!"), the boob-sketching part, and the aforementioned jalopy-banging part. All of it is incredibly awkward and boring. Then Theoden, King of Rohan, drives the boat into this big iceberg ("Are you calling me fat, James Cameron?" – the iceberg) and the ocean starts coming inside the boat ("Heyyyy, ocean!" – poor people).

Bill Paxton interrupts the old lady's interminable story and is like, "BOAT SCIENCE. EXPOSITION. BOAT SCIENCE" for a while. Nobody cares. Onward!

Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio run around the boat in circles for a long time holding hands. I think we're supposed to admire Kate Winslet for having terrific moxie or something, but really all she does is yell about how no one can tell her what to do and then just does whatever Leonardo DiCaprio tells her to do. (Sometimes he tells her things like this: "You're so stupid! Why did you do that? You're so stupid, Rose!!!" and "SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH.") Feminism!

Fabrizio shows up (FINALLY) to tell them that they're fecked because all the lifeboats are gone: "The boats-a! They're all-a gone!" "Where's your life jacket, Fabrizio?" Leonardo asks. "Ees-a okay!" says Fabrizio, "I've-a got this-a beeg ravioli! Abbondanza!" Then he drowns (oops).

Fortunately for Kate Winslet, Leonardo DiCaprio turns out to be the world's #1 expert in surviving ocean liner disasters—offering genius advice like, "We have to stay on the ship as long as possible! Come on!" Eventually, though, they end up in the ocean, where Kate Winslet sits on a board and cries. Leonardo makes one attempt to get on the board with her, but falls off, so he decides to just die instead. Kate Winslet is sad. Then she gets rescued by Mister Fantastic from the Fantastic Four movie.

Finally, even though she knew Bill Paxton was searching for the necklace, and he hella patiently listened to her stupid story (it's like she writes erotic fan fiction about herself), that old lady just goes and drops it into the ocean at the end!!! Like, seriously, old lady? First of all, you're a dick. Second of all, that necklace belongs in a museum. Third of all, you're a dick! I wish Bill Paxton would drop YOU into the ocean at the end. Then, to wrap things up, there's a dream sequence where the ghosts of Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio walk down the Titanic's grand staircase and everyone on earth applauds for no reason. You know who are the only people that think the world owes them a round of applause? Fifteen-year-old girls and billionaire directors who own submarines. I rest my case.

I feel like James Cameron has never met an actual person before. Titanic is basically a 3.5-hour-long Zales commercial, only slightly less emotionally compelling. Fabrizio and Victor Garber aside (I forgot to talk about the unbearable melancholy of Victor Garber, but SOB!), I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to watch this movie—much less watch it in 3D. Hey, do you want to watch a 3.5-hour extravaganza of terror and death with a plastic cage strapped to your face? Hey, did you like the original Titanic, but wish you could also have a headache? Hey, are you a 15-year-old girl? Oh, you are? Okay. Go nuts. If you'll excuse me, I have to go die of old age now.