Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Grey - Very disappointing its basically Liam Neeson talking in his Taken telephone voice, in the snow. Lots of other sillyness

2 things in particular......
1. Punching a wolf
2. Collecting the wallets

silly

5/10

The Grey - Very disappointing its basically Liam Neeson talking in his Taken telephone voice, in the snow. Lots of other sillyness

2 things in particular......
1. Punching a wolf
2. Collecting the wallets

silly

5/10

How stupid. As we know Wolves don't even have pockets. They aren't fecking marsupials. And even in the unlikely event that they had wallets how would they open them since they lack opposable digits?

The pace of films has changed a huge amount over the last few decades.

Could you imagine films with long atmospheric scenes like in The Godfather or The Deer Hunter getting made now?

Thankfully there are some brilliant exceptions:

Doesn't get enough credit from either mainstream or art film viewers. One of the best films of the last 10 years.

Thankfully there are some brilliant exceptions:

Doesn't get enough credit from either mainstream or art film viewers. One of the best films of the last 10 years.

Agreed.

I thought Zvyagintsev's The Banishment falls into this category.

The Assassination of Richard Nixon was another good one.

In Time.

An interesting concept about time, at times it was very slow , but not a bad film
Justin Timberlake was decent enough in it , but his sidekick Amanda Seyfried I thought was stunning.
Kept me entertained , which after all it what you want in a film.

6/10

Spiderhole.
4 homeless student find a house to squat in and true to form there is something or someone in the house.
Very Saw like but nowhere near has good , in fact it is a really bad film.
Rubbish acting only real plot is 4 students in a run down house and stuff happens , it would of been better if there was some more blood and guts but there was not a lot of that
2/10

This one sounds interesting. I liked The Return even though I thought the ending was a bit of a let down.

I haven't watched The Return yet. I really liked The Banishment. Good story and acting, wonderful photography, purposefully anachronistic setting, maybe just a bit too slow at times but very much recommended if you have two hours to spare.

Anonymous

I went into this film not really knowing what I was going to watch , but I really liked it.
It is about Shakespeare not writing any of the stuff he has been credited with.
Acting I thought was excellent , Vanessa Redgrave was good as Queen Elizabeth 1st has was David Thewlis as William Cecil and Sebastian Armesto who played Ben Jonson who knew who was really writing the plays , but the best for me was Rhys Ifans as the Earl of Oxford who wrote all of the the Shakespeare works in the film.

I have no idea if the story has any truth behind it but it made a cracking film and was well worth the 2hours + it was on.

7.5/10

The Lovely Bones

Watched this for the first time last night and thought it was quite good...with it being about such a dark subject and having read the book I thought it was played very well. I think there could have been a little more suspense, but the man who played Harvey was very creepy and being a parent myself it really freaked me out...overall a pretty good film in the most part...the only negative I would have is that I thought the ending was a bit abrupt...

7/10

Love this movie. Casey Affleck is outstanding in it

Yep, he really immersed himself into the character. The acting in it was great, him, Pitt, Rockwell, Schneider and etc. I really liked the narrator too.

The cinematography in it and the soundtrack is out of this world.

This quote sums it up quite well:
"an epic film that's part literary treatise, part mournful ballad, and completely a portrait of our world, as seen in a distant mirror."

Any good ghost films? Am having a girls night on Monday and we always watch scary films...latest films we have watched are- insidious, paranormal activity 3 and the Woman in Black...

War Horse. 7/10
Entertaining enough, but the dialogue (did it seem to anyone else like they all wanted to jump into bed with the horse all the time) and acting (we're from Devon, arrr!) kept pulling me out of the film. Beauifully shot and I had no idea they were filming in Burrator, which I walk around at least once a month.

Any good ghost films? Am having a girls night on Monday and we always watch scary films...latest films we have watched are- insidious, paranormal activity 3 and the Woman in Black...

I'm always telling everyone to watch The Changeling (1980), class ghost film.

Anonymous

I went into this film not really knowing what I was going to watch , but I really liked it.
It is about Shakespeare not writing any of the stuff he has been credited with.
Acting I thought was excellent , Vanessa Redgrave was good as Queen Elizabeth 1st has was David Thewlis as William Cecil and Sebastian Armesto who played Ben Jonson who knew who was really writing the plays , but the best for me was Rhys Ifans as the Earl of Oxford who wrote all of the the Shakespeare works in the film.

I have no idea if the story has any truth behind it but it made a cracking film and was well worth the 2hours + it was on.

7.5/10

It has none.

Woman in Black 6/10

I'm not sure I'm rating this at only 6 because i don't like Daniel Radcliffe or not. The problem is that we get so used to seeing films with mesmeric leading men, that Woman in Black started out a little disappointing for me. However one hour in, and I realised that probably Radcliffe was ideal for the part as he is so ordinary, that you watch the film more - if that makes any sense. Quite a few differences to the earlier film ( which I loved btw ) but very atmospheric, certainly.

I thought he was just ok in it...the film did its job with the atmosphere and making you jump...it was a nice adaptation I thought :) watched the 1989 version the other day and it scared the shit out of me...so it was very different. Not in a bad way, as you wouldn't want something based on a book to be an exact replica...but the both had their merits

I thought he was just ok in it...the film did its job with the atmosphere and making you jump...it was a nice adaptation I thought :) watched the 1989 version the other day and it scared the shit out of me...so it was very different. Not in a bad way, as you wouldn't want something based on a book to be an exact replica...but the both had their merits

Thinking of it, it's not the sort of film you would expect a Johnny Depp in, as that , to me, would detract from the film ( if you know what I mean ). It was certainly well done, and really quite chilling. I suppose they had to do THAT scene in a different way ( but really, that was what was so frightening in the first film, as I wasn't expecting it )

Not a bad film at all, but I can't see what the hype is about Radcliffe, for the life of me.

Thinking of it, it's not the sort of film you would expect a Johnny Depp in, as that , to me, would detract from the film ( if you know what I mean ). It was certainly well done, and really quite chilling. I suppose they had to do THAT scene in a different way ( but really, that was what was so frightening in the first film, as I wasn't expecting it )

Not a bad film at all, but I can't see what the hype is about Radcliffe, for the life of me.

I can see why they wouldn't want a huge star playing Arthur, as it would be distracting...I can only think that they picked Daniel radcliffe because all the harry potter fans would pay to see it and they would make a lot of money through him...although I didn't feel loads of emotion from him in it...it was nice to find out that the child playing his son is actually his godson :) you can see a connection with them which is nice and not forced

The Woman in Black (2012)

Still-from-The-Woman-in-B-006.jpg

Dan: "Not today, thanks - we had 'em cleaned last week."

Could and should have been so much better. Most unforgivably, it lacked the subtlety & sense of desolation/sorrow of the 1989 film, and the sympathy one feels for Jennet Humfrye (despite her terrible deeds) which Susan Hill's book prompts in the reader.

Not the worst film in the world, but a genuine missed opportunity - all the elements of an unforgettable ghost story were already provided, yet the film-makers failed.

3/10

The Woman in Black (2012)

Still-from-The-Woman-in-B-006.jpg

Dan: "Not today, thanks - we had 'em cleaned last week."

Could and should have been so much better. Most unforgivably, it lacked the subtlety & sense of desolation/sorrow of the 1989 film, and the sympathy one feels for Jennet Humfrye (despite her terrible deeds) which Susan Hill's book prompts in the reader.

Not the worst film in the world, but a genuine missed opportunity - all the elements of an unforgettable ghost story were already provided, yet the film-makers failed.

3/10

I know what you mean, I didn't feel much emotion towards anybody in the film...I jumped in parts when it was required but that was it...

Funnily enough, the 'window' scene above was the only one that made me jump. There were good things in the film - for example, the idea that the WIB was with the children before they did away with themselves (not in the book, and a good idea) - but the good was overshadowed by less impressive things (at several points, I felt I was on a funfair ghost train, as the screaming WIB rushed past Daniel time & again).

Yeah, the window scene was great...had to go see it again with the bf as i promised him I would...kept my eyes shut for that bit :p thought the bit with the child coming out of the bed was pretty cool and just subtle things like the rocking chair and her being with the children were good

So much of it was nicked from other films though, DT. :lol: I thought the opening scene with the three girls was very good...then I remembered the suicide of Damien's nanny in The Omen & knew where the script-writer had pinched the idea from. :D

So much of it was nicked from other films though, DT. :lol: I thought the opening scene with the three girls was very good...then I remembered the suicide of Damien's nanny in The Omen & knew where the script-writer had pinched the idea from. :D

Yeah that's true...:lol:

I'm probably being a bit harsh on the film, tbh - if I hadn't seen the 1989 one, I'd probably be very content with the new movie. It's a 12A cert after all, so perhaps I was expecting too much of the film. :)

The comments beneath the Youtube clip of that scene are priceless: some detail how they would beat-up the ghost, some claiming that the scene is hilarious (though it's much easier to be blasé about it the second time of watching), and some arguing over the respective merits of the two films. Arguably the most apt comment is this one:

'The movie sets this scene up, people. You have to watch the movie to truly appreciate the woman's creepiness.'