Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Watched Bronson, with the luminous Tom Hardy, 8/10.

Hardy is brilliant, he brings the character to life with 1000 little articulations that weren't in the script. The movie could have used and 2nd or 3rd character, but then this is a man who spent 30 years in solitary confinement.

It's entirely about his personality, it doesn't get much into the legal side of things, as I understand he's been held much longer than his sentence ever called for. It would have been nice if the movie went somewhere, or made more of a point of commenting upon the system/world that Bronson found himself in, instead it's a sort of stylized glorification of violent and anti-social behavior.

But for the terrific job of Hardy alone it's worth an 8.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Superb adaptation of the Le Carre book. Gary Oldman is so good as Smiley that you don't see him at all, only George Smiley, which is a huge complement considering Alec Guinness was so good in the TV version and until I saw the film I found it hard to imagine anyone else playing the part. Beautifully shot, casted, acted and directed but perhaps requiring a bit more concentration that many raised on the epilepsy inducing pace of plot light modern films. It is a large book and while they have had to streamline the plot they have done so in a way that still retains the intrigue and plot. My only other quibble is that I'm not sure that many young people will be familiar enough with the Cold War and the way it felt to live in such times for them to "get" the film in the way that the original TV series resonated with us when it came out.

I'd guess that this did well enough for further films in the series will be filmed which would be great. My favorite film in quite some time. 8.5/10

I'd like a few suggestions, guys. I need to compile a list of great movie music pieces. Two for each from these categories: romantic, adventure, sci-fi, horror, historical. Its for a creative writing class for 13 year olds, so dont get too clever. I dont thrust myself, I'd just fill it with John Williams.

For Sci-Fi... Sunshine has an excellent soundtrack, So do Blade Runner and the Matrix. I also enjoyed Tron:Legacy from this year (though that's because I'm a Daft Punk fan)

Elsewhere, also from this year... Hanna's Chemical Brothers Soundtrack was very good.

Sci-fi: Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra & Johann Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz.

Horror: Psycho, Bernard Herrmann. Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack for The Omen.

Historical: Schindler's List, John Williams.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Exactly what I expected, really. A decent way to waste a couple of hours, and entertaining in its sheer daftness.

Your heart is made of stone.

Sometimes overly sentimental films can really get to me. Like that one, Taegukgi, Life Is Beautiful...

Another one I couldn't stand. Sentimental film about a kid and his father stuck in a lovely Nazi Death Camp. Oh the fun we had...

I'd like a few suggestions, guys. I need to compile a list of great movie music pieces. Two for each from these categories: romantic, adventure, sci-fi, horror, historical. Its for a creative writing class for 13 year olds, so dont get too clever. I dont thrust myself, I'd just fill it with John Williams.

I really liked Cavatina in Deerhunter. This may be because it was the one and only classical piece I ever learned on the guitar.

EDIT: that's just more John Williams, isn't it?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Superb adaptation of the Le Carre book. Gary Oldman is so good as Smiley that you don't see him at all, only George Smiley, which is a huge complement considering Alec Guinness was so good in the TV version and until I saw the film I found it hard to imagine anyone else playing the part. Beautifully shot, casted, acted and directed but perhaps requiring a bit more concentration that many raised on the epilepsy inducing pace of plot light modern films. It is a large book and while they have had to streamline the plot they have done so in a way that still retains the intrigue and plot. My only other quibble is that I'm not sure that many young people will be familiar enough with the Cold War and the way it felt to live in such times for them to "get" the film in the way that the original TV series resonated with us when it came out.

I'd guess that this did well enough for further films in the series will be filmed which would be great. My favorite film in quite some time. 8.5/10
Agreed. good film.

Another one I couldn't stand. Sentimental film about a kid and his father stuck in a lovely Nazi Death Camp. Oh the fun we had...

So did you knock one out over that slim nude bird in broken flowers? I'd kiss her tulips...

Brief Encounter's use of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No 2 is a good romantic one.

Almost Martyrs from The Life of David Gale and Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream are a fantastic film composed pieces that've sort of outgrown their original purpose and been used in loads of things, but I wouldn't be sure what to classify them as.

Halloween & The Exorcist are also good horror shouts. The Opening and Closing from Mishima by Philip Glass are decent for Historical IMO and John Barry's Bond scores are hard to top for adventure outside of Williams & Morricone.

Hackers has an excellent electronica soundtrack, for something different. Gangs of New York has some interesting songs from the time period.

Amadeus has a good soundtrack, can't argue with Mozart!

A Hard Day's Night also had some great songs!

The Godfather.

Vanilla Sky.

High Fidelity.

2001 a Space Odyssey.

Jackie Brown.

O' Brother Where Art Thou.

Lost Highway and/or Blue Velvet.

Brief Encounter's use of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No 2 is a good romantic one.

Almost Martyrs from The Life of David Gale and Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream are a fantastic film composed pieces that've sort of outgrown their original purpose and been used in loads of things, but I wouldn't be sure what to classify them as.

Halloween & The Exorcist are also good horror shouts. The Opening and Closing from Mishima by Philip Glass are decent for Historical IMO and John Barry's Bond scores are hard to top for adventure outside of Williams & Morricone.

All good, plus i downloaded the Ligeti piece from Eyes Wide Shut

Midnight in Paris - Meh, it was alright I guess...not really a big fan of Wilson or Allen. Him (Wilson) going on about Paris in the beginning of the film almost made me want to puke. Marion Cotillard looked gorgeous.

Midnight in Paris - Meh, it was alright I guess...not really a big fan of Wilson or Allen. Him (Wilson) going on about Paris in the beginning of the film almost made me want to puke. Marion Cotillard looked gorgeous.

The dialogue and some of the acting (like Brody as Dali) was horrible. I didnt like the gimmick, Wilson's character was absolutely unlikeable. It was a bad Young Indiana Jones episode basically.

The dialogue and some of the acting (like Brody as Dali) was horrible. I didnt like the gimmick, Wilson's character was absolutely unlikeable. It was a bad Young Indiana Jones episode basically.

I enjoyed the actor's potrayal of Hemingway, though I have no idea if it was an accurate one or not.

Easy-E Watched this with the wife last night. Highschool teen girlie comedy, but some of the characters were actually really funny. The girls family made me crack up at times. For that reason alone it's worth a look.

7/10