Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I had a problem with the basic premise of this post

"Congo? feck no, you can't go to Congo, it's like a fecking jungle down there, you'll die for sure."

Sure enough, Simon goes to Congo, gets kidnapped. It's like, what does Simon think Congo is like, Bradford? Please. They may not know how to hold a proper election and have widespread poverty but it's no more dangerous than Simon's living room. Get a grip
Yep... i'm bored

Touche.

Tho to be fair Congo isn't like a jungle. It is a jungle.

Fast Five

What a giddy fecking suprise this was. Watched this having pretty much zero expectations as I'm not a fan of the series at all (the 1st film was somewhat passable) and find Paul Walker to be terrible, whilst having no great love for Vin Diesel (bar in Pitch Black) either... and yet, it was throughly entertaining. Perhaps the most brainlessly entertaining film I've seen this year.

The plot is ridiculous, the acting is sketchy at best (barring Mr. Johnson), and i'm not sure it even made a whole load of sense.... but who cares? It's all just daftly entertaining... especially any scene that features The Rock, who just hulks around the place like giant, sweat ridden, man beast... he demands attention whenever he's on screen, and makes everyone around him look like tiny objects that he could smash with his fist at any given moment.

It is a bit overly long, some of the romantic plot elements could and should be removed altogether, but damnit, If you have two hours or so to spare one evening, this should be watched... preferably on a giant television.

7/10

As a side bar, it was also one of the better blu-ray's in terms of sound and picture quality that i've seen so far (though to quantify that, i've seen about 15...)

A Separation (2011)

For me, it's the movie of the past year. It doesn't get any better than this.....

Synopsis/Plot

Set in contemporary Iran, A Separation is a compelling drama about the dissolution of a marriage. Simin wants to leave Iran with her husband Nader and daughter Termeh. Simin sues for divorce when Nader refuses to leave behind his Alzheimer-suffering father. Her request having failed, Simin returns to her parents' home, but Termeh decides to stay with Nader. When Nader hires a young woman to assist with his father in his wife's absence, he hopes that his life will return to a normal state. However, when he discovers that the new maid has been lying to him, he realizes that there is more on the line than just his marriage. -- (C) Sony Pictures Classics

Heh he does have a look of Berbatov about him.

Have you seen Megamind? Just finished watching it. Very similar, in that it's another animated film about a super villain, except where Despicable Me was Steve Carrell, Megamind is Will Ferrell. Pretty weird, not really sure what the story is behind that. But yeah- Megamind is pretty good too. Both solid 7's, though I think I probably preferred Despicable Me

Just watched Megamind. Didn't know it was that good.

Dream House.

I really liked this film , the 2 leads Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz were excellent.
A successful publisher moves his family to his dream house in the country and then they discover that the house was the scene of a family murder , it is believed the farther did it has he survived.
Billed has a Horror film , I would say it is not more of a thriller Mystery.

A good solid 7/10

A Separation (2011)

For me, it's the movie of the past year. It doesn't get any better than this.....

Synopsis/Plot

Set in contemporary Iran, A Separation is a compelling drama about the dissolution of a marriage. Simin wants to leave Iran with her husband Nader and daughter Termeh. Simin sues for divorce when Nader refuses to leave behind his Alzheimer-suffering father. Her request having failed, Simin returns to her parents' home, but Termeh decides to stay with Nader. When Nader hires a young woman to assist with his father in his wife's absence, he hopes that his life will return to a normal state. However, when he discovers that the new maid has been lying to him, he realizes that there is more on the line than just his marriage. -- (C) Sony Pictures Classics

The actress who played the mom was pretty mesmerizing.

MV5BNTQ1Mzc1MjI3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDYxNzk4Ng@@._V1._SX640_SY428_.jpg

Thanks for the last sentence, I know I will never want to see this movie because of it.... 10/10 for a date movie?

edit, just looked it up on rotten..... 47%

It has rape and genitalia loss. It is shite though.

Give us a run down.

I was just joking about it being a date movie, but a guy licks his own cum off his fingers and one point, if your date is still there after that scene, you're getting laid! I figured it would be well known.

'The Doom Generation' is a cult classic as far as I'm concerned. I actually haven't seen it in a while, I'll do my best here.

Rose McGowan is a nymphomaniac with a Keanu Reeves clone as a boyfriend, they come across some strange drifter, who stops a crazy convenience store clerk from killing them when they forget their money in the car. It's set in a dystopic future, I suppose it's mostly about the 3 ways that these kids get into, and the surreal world they travel through. They end up running from the law, I think they start randomly killing people who piss them off.

It's about sex and ultra-violence, it's not a masterpiece of cinema, you could call it pulp. I mostly appreciated how it shows a nihilistic side of humanity you don't see enough in movies. I thought it succeeded in being slick and 'cool' when I saw it.

Here's one of the first scenes, the trailer is kinda crap, sorry you have to watch it on youtube.

Doom Generation is a poor, poor movie. It's so poor that I remember the conversation after we saw it in a cinema in 1996.

I've seen it right after Ulysses' Gaze, the worst duo of films I've ever seen.

Easily 1/10 each.

The Tree of Life 3/10 - i just don't get it

I've grown to appreciate this film more and more. Releasing a film like this to the larger masses was always going to end with some understandable criticism from mainstream viewers. I guess Malick wanted as many people as possible to watch it which he should saluted for as cinema definitely needs more films like this. A very profound effort even if it's flawed and felt a bit disjointed.

Kill List:

Recent British drama that got some very good reviews upon it release, having watched it I can certainly see why. This starts off as one of those movies that has you hoping throughout that they don’t spoil it in the final moments and manage to keep the very aerie, tense and furtive atmosphere going whilst allowing the story to gently unravel.

It’s one of those movies you start watching and can tell that unlike a lot of British movies of this genre(there aren't many) you are seeing a well written and thought out script that is in the hands of a competent director. Sadly for me it loses a little of its initial promise in its final 3rd however the journey there is still worth taking.

Not a movie you can say a lot about plot wise in a review without ruining it for others. You simply have to watch it and experience what is a very well scripted and directed movie with a very aerie and uneasy atmosphere that has its greatest strength in the normality it initially uses to hide its secrets.
Well worth watching despite what for me was a slightly rushed ending.

7/10

Eagle Eye.

Just watched this on BBC 3 and I thought it was excellent.
Good story , 2 leads played there parts well and even Billy Bob Thornton was
good.

Jerry Shaw is an amiable slacker with an over-achieving twin brother. After his twin dies in an accident, strange things happen to Jerry at a dizzying pace: a fortune shows up in his bank account, weapons are delivered to his flat, and a voice on his cell phone tells him the police are on their way. Jerry follows the voice's instructions, and soon he and a woman he's never met are racing through the city, on to a plane, and eventually to the Pentagon, chased by the FBI. She is Rachel Holloman, a single mom; the voice has threatened her son's death if she doesn't cooperate. The voice seems to know everything. Who is behind it, what is being planned, and why Jerry and Rachel? (taken straight from IMDB)

7/10

I'm downloading Broken Flowers.

What did you make of it? I kind of liked it in a gentle slice of life, nothing much happens way with a few odd characters thrown in. That lass going full frontal helped.

Watched Limitless on SkyPrem earlier. Was OK, but pretty predictable. Passable but interest waned a bit in the middle.
I'm getting old though- a movie that is under two hours is a good thing given my frayed concentration span.

Anyone seen Warhorse yet?

Watched Limitless on SkyPrem earlier. Was OK, but pretty predictable. Passable but interest waned a bit in the middle.
I'm getting old though- a movie that is under two hours is a good thing given my frayed concentration span.

I thought it was very good. Nice to see a film that is a little bit different

What did you make of it? I kind of liked it in a gentle slice of life, nothing much happens way with a few odd characters thrown in. That lass going full frontal helped.

Watching it today.

And Pam Grier, Wonder, does she get them out in the sequel? if so, it may just get into Redcafe's top 100.