Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

hey spoony

my friend gave me Four Rooms (1995) ... is it any good -->

fourroomsOrg.jpg

tarantino is mint..but i see there are four directors for this movie, is it worth the time?

I have never seen it. Try it out, though, you never know.

Brick is the sports guy? That actor is one of the most annoying man I've ever seen on screen.

I think so. Bloke with the short hair, looked geeky. I agree, he's fecking rubbish.

If you don't want to sit through pretentious bollocks i'd advise you to avoid all of them.

Un chien andalou - 16mins of wtf?

The phantom of liberty - Just shit, plain shit, the grand ending is just like 5 minutes of a still ostrich not moving. For no reason

Personal opinion that, though. I'd rather check them out and make up my own mind.

1408. Horror film apparently, suffice to say it didn't do much for me, that said, it did make me chuckle a couple of times. Action was too fast paced, like all horror films. . .in fact most Hollywood films, thesedays. No idea why it's so highly rated on imdb. I have come to the conclusion they're all gay.

I've downloaded 1408 feckhead, it better be good

Just watched 'The Pathfinder'

Premise: Indian woman comes across a crashed Norse boat, finds child on it and raises him as an Indian. Fast forward 18 years or so and the Vikings are back killing the Indians. Cue the now fully grown halfbreed killing loads of Vikings. This movie annoyed me. The Indians spoke perfect English for the camera whilst the Vikings spoke their Nordic language.

4/10 - i wish he'd fallen off the path.

I had an idea a few days back while I was in class. Something to do with insomnia and getting fecked in the head. I managed to write down the idea on the back of a notebook. I hope I still have that notebook because I don't remember much of it and I really wanted to write the damn thing properly.

I keep thinking of writing but get lazy. Was much better when I was in school. Wrote stuff for the newspaper all the time. More out of necessity than anything else since I was the editor and had to fill the pages with something.

1 or 2 segments are ok, but the rest is filth. Can't remember which one is good though.

Just watched it, rodriguez's segment 'the misbehavours' was mustard, 'man from hollywood' was o.k and the other two segments were average...all in all Tim Roth did a good job and delivered absoloutly outstanding comedy..

but that apparantely was 1995...i wonder why he failed to develop into an outstanding comedian

Most writers think that. I have and idea too, it is a good premise, but don't know how to move on.

It's a sci-fi dystopia involving drugs, surfs and it is a bit orwell-ish. Not in quality obviously:)

Would have to be at least 30mins, surely? I was thinking more like 5-10mins.

I had an idea a few days back while I was in class. Something to do with insomnia and getting fecked in the head. I managed to write down the idea on the back of a notebook. I hope I still have that notebook because I don't remember much of it and I really wanted to write the damn thing properly.

I keep thinking of writing but get lazy. Was much better when I was in school. Wrote stuff for the newspaper all the time. More out of necessity than anything else since I was the editor and had to fill the pages with something.

I've had mad convoluted ideas before. However, for a short, I was thinking of something more simple. Like picking a normal subject and visualising it..

1408. Horror film apparently, suffice to say it didn't do much for me, that said, it did make me chuckle a couple of times. Action was too fast paced, like all horror films. . .in fact most Hollywood films, thesedays. No idea why it's so highly rated on imdb. I have come to the conclusion they're all gay.

Is that out on DVD already??

Would have to be at least 30mins, surely? I was thinking more like 5-10mins.

I've had mad convoluted ideas before. However, for a short, I was thinking of something more simple. Like picking a normal subject and visualising it..

Really don't know. In a draft I've made it has reached the 2/3 point in 15 pages, but I have no idea where to go from there.

The problem with that, that it'd be mad expensive.

I'll upload a friend's short when I get home(I'm on a mini-vacation), I'm curious what do you think of it.

Is that out on DVD already??

Nope. I downloaded a screener.

Really don't know. In a draft I've made it has reached the 2/3 point in 15 pages, but I have no idea where to go from there.

The problem with that, that it'd be mad expensive.

I'll upload a friend's short when I get home(I'm on a mini-vacation), I'm curious what do you think of it.

Excellent, can't wait to check it out. Hopefully, you'll have some naked Hungarian babes in it as well.

Saffron Burrows was brilliant in her cameo though. Her and Cheadle had some cracking scenes together.

Always thought Cheadle was underrated

Saw Abre Los Ojos, on the the long recommendation of Spoony and thought it was quite mint. The screenplay could have been a little more organised

Had I known about Cryonics previously then it would've been absolute ace, which I reckon you did Spoons

Always thought Cheadle was underrated

Saw Abre Los Ojos, on the the long recommendation of Spoony and thought it was quite mint. The screenplay could have been a little more organised

Had I
which I reckon you did Spoons

Yeah, I think most people in the West are aware of it. Watched Persona last night, I really enjoyed it, but I didn't fully understand it. Think I'll need to watch it again, at least one more time.

Funny Games. 'Two psychotic young men take a family hostage in their cabin'. First half just seemed a rehash of old thrillers in the same genre, however the second half was much better. . . gripping in parts, (spoiler) especially the scene after the child was killed. Good thing about the move was, that you didn't really need to see the violence to get a sense of the nightmare. . . but overall I'm not sure Haneke(director) pulled it off.

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

daft, yet strangely amusing and enjoyable
maybe I was in the mood for a mindless western

some cast though: Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio

all the money spent on actors and none on screenwriters :)

next: Open Range
anyone seen it?

shooter, good movie.

Plot:A marksman (Wahlberg) living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot
to kill the president. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on
the run to track the real killer and find out who exactly set him up, and why.

Open Range
anyone seen it?
Yeah, very traditional Western with good performances by Costner and Duvall badly skewed by a crap "romantic" interlude. The Lunnen media crew I shared the screening with laughed at it but I liked it.

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

daft, yet strangely amusing and enjoyable
maybe I was in the mood for a mindless western

some cast though: Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio

all the money spent on actors and none on screenwriters :)

next: Open Range
anyone seen it?
Yes, tis good except for an incredibly long time it takes to end after the shoot out

The Warriors. Cheesy acting and poor dialogue at times, and the gang costumes wouldn't look out of place at a Mardi Gras. But the film's pure class. Fantastic entertainment. Last I watched it, I must've been around 17.

Warriors come out to playayyyy.

Die Hard 4

Stunts that could not possibly happen in real life, all the old cliches dragged out again, cars exploding that simply would not explode.

Brilliant 9/10

Wild At Heart - 'A love story. Sailor and Lula are amalgamations of distanciated American iconography. Their horizons are constituted by little more than TV; they think they're wild at heart; and their romance sets them off on a post industrial Odyssey'.

Cage and Dern were excellent, and William Defoe was brilliant as Bobby Peru. The film made many references to Wizard of the Oz, and it was very fairytale-like, but in David Lynch's typical surreal style. Not as complicated as Mullholland Drive or Lost Highway, and probably not as gripping, but enjoyable nonetheless. . . funnily enough the ending was a bit of a surprise for me, which is a strange thing to say for a David Lynch film.

Wild At Heart - 'A love story. Sailor and Lula are amalgamations of distanciated American iconography. Their horizons are constituted by little more than TV; they think they're wild at heart; and their romance sets them off on a post industrial Odyssey'.

Cage and Dern were excellent, and William Defoe was brilliant as Bobby Peru. The film made many references to Wizard of the Oz, and it was very fairytale-like, but in David Lynch's typical surreal style. Not as complicated as Mullholland Drive or Lost Highway, and probably not as gripping, but enjoyable nonetheless. . . funnily enough the ending was a bit of a surprise for me, which is a strange thing to say for a David Lynch film.

Yeah, the ending is a bit shocking.