Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

2046 I liked a lot, it follows a writer as he tells several different story's about love, so it has several hot women. I think its kind of a sequel to 'In the mood for love' which I've had sat on my hard drive for ages, you can watch the former without having seen the latter, though I guess it would help if you had.

In the mood for Love is a masterpiece. If you liked 2046 even a tiny bit, you'll love that.

Gorgeous movie, truly is.

ive thought about writing a script quite a lot. got some ideas but struggle to beef them out or even to simply motivate myself to keep going

xmen1-md.jpg

X-Men 3: The Last stand

I never really got the jist of all this. Still, there's lots of stuff getting destroyed, including a guy in a wheelchair, and there's also Vinnie Jones wearing a stupid looking helmet thing on his head, so it's not all that bad. The whole plotline is fatally flawed by the very idea of paradox boy, but what does it matter? It's a film about people with special mutant hero powers. The only way to create something more silly would be if say, it was a film about animals with mutant hero powers, but that's surely just too stupid to ever happen.

Things that made no sense about this film:
a) Paradox Boy - i.e. the kid who's special power was that anyone near him would lose any of their mutant powers. Therefor, surely his power would prevent itself from existing???
b) Chess pieces arn't made of metal (are they?)
c) Just because you have mutant powers, doesn't mean you also have the ability to invent an invisible spaceship/jet type thing

6/10 - Sat through it, wasn't angry that I did, but felt that maybe I should have been

What films can you compare it to, Cinc?

2046 or In the mood for love? 2046 is a tedious rehash of ITMFL with a nonlinear plot.

In the Mood is one of a kind. Slow, but never boring, lustful, but never erotic, beautiful, but never corny.

One could say that it is a simple romantic movie about never to be realized love with nice photography and costumes but that would be totally off the mark.

2046 or In the mood for love? 2046 is a tedious rehash of ITMFL with a nonlinear plot.

In the Mood is one of a kind. Slow, but never boring, lustful, but never erotic, beautiful, but never corny.

One could say that it is a simple romantic movie about never to be realized love with nice photography and costumes but that would be totally off the mark.

Yes, In the Mood for Love.

Alright then Cinc, what are your top ten fav films?

Nice choice on 400 Blows, cinc. I prefer Godard over Truffaut though.

I was thinking about putting Band of Outsiders on the list. Others that I've left out were Paris, Texas; The Tin Drum; Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence; Hana-Bi; Repo Man, The Seventh Seal, Closely Watched Trains, Bladerunner, Delicatessen, Full Metal Jacket, Eraserhead, The Man Who Fell the Earth, Women on The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Rosencrantzand Guildenstern are Dead.

Three films make my top ten without any debate

Bladerunner
Godfather 2
Apocalypse Now

After that it varies from time to time.

Is Closely Watched Trains the one where the kid works at a train station. Hooks up with some women, then the next day gets hit by a train or something like that?

Band of Outsiders is on my top 3.

What's your top ten then?

- Clockwork Orange

- Blue Velvet

- The 400 Blows

- Star Wars

- Brazil

- Dersu Uzala

- Dr. Strangelove

- Solaris

- Chungking Express

- Secrets and Lies

But this is too damn hard

Some fantastic films in that list. Agreed about Empire, best Star Wars flick, without a doubt.

Barbarella is one of those movies which I know is bad, but I grew up watching it, so it just kind of stuck.

I can understand that. I'm still hunting for a bad soviet fantasy film with witches, swords and spaceships.

Other film that I love for some reason is Sex Mission, a really bad polish sci-fi about two hibernated men, who wake up in a world where only women are alive.

I can understand that. I'm still hunting for a bad soviet fantasy film with witches, swords and spaceships.

Other film that I love for some reason is Sex Mission, a really bad polish sci-fi about two hibernated men, who wake up in a world where only women are alive.
If you find it, let me know the title. It sounds like a winner.

- Clockwork Orange

- Blue Velvet

- The 400 Blows

- Star Wars

- Brazil

- Dersu Uzala

- Dr. Strangelove

- Solaris

- Chungking Express

- Secrets and Lies

But this is too damn hard

Chung King Express? I liked the movie but not that much. I was really not expecting spoiler* there to be two stories and hugely disappointed when they suddenly switched from the first to the second.*

am I the only one who liked Soderbergh's Solaris ?

:)

Not seen it. Just saw Tarkovsky's and I thought it was a masterpiece. In fact, I think it made my head hurt for a couple of days.

Pulp fiction
Band of Outsiders
The Godfather(I'll go with spoony and say 1 and 2 are one movie)
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Barbarella(it doesn't quite fit with the others, but I love it)
Bob Le Flambeur
The Killer
A Fistful of Dollars
Superfly

It's a strange list I know.

Personal thing, though, isn't it.

Too many greats for such a short list.

Yes. Solyaris is probably the only one out of yours I'd have in mine. Although, Empire would probbaly be there or there abouts.