Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

This one (Exterminating Angel)
Rehearsal for a Crime
Un chien andalou, of course
and he's 3 movies from the seventies: Phantom of Liberty, Discreet charm of the bourgoise, The Obscure Object of Desire

Ta. Which one should I watch first? Bearing in mind I'm new to his work.

I'll draw up another list in a few weeks, and get that. Probably The Holy Mountain and Santa Sengre too.

A recommendation for those who like european cinema:

La Leggenda del pianista sull'oceano

very nice indeed
I should find more of Giuseppe Tornatore's films it seems

Watched recently Kontroll too. I believe Cinc could tell us more about it ;)

Imo it's very good

Another european classic - The Wounds (Rane)

The serbian answer to Fight Club (I was told) but it's not, mainly because it's from 1998 :) and there's hardly anything fight-clubish about it but still - great film.

The last thing I saw was Vacancy

had high hopes but it turned out to be crap

ive thought about writing a script quite a lot. got some ideas but struggle to beef them out or even to simply motivate myself to keep going

I've had a few ideas. That's about it.

My best friend is a scriptwriter, I've been in some of his early projects.

Think I'm in the same stage meself. I tried compensating it by trying to enhance some short stories/novellas

My mates and I might get along with this someday. Even they seem quite interested. Not some huge movie obviously, just some short one. The toughest bit that I've encountered is the lighting

Cinc, care to name a few of those projects?

Think I'm in the same stage meself. I tried compensating it by trying to enhance some short stories/novellas

My mates and I might get along with this someday. Even they seem quite interested. Not some huge movie obviously, just some short one. The toughest bit that I've encountered is the lighting

Cinc, care to name a few of those projects?

They weren't released commercially, there were only a couple screening in cinemas here in Budapest. But his latest script is getting a lot of attention from producers, as it has won a prestigious competition here in Hungary.

Lady Vengeance was good. Very beautifully done. Spoiler:The parents watching their kids on tape, before they were killed, was a very powerful scene. Overall I'd say that Oldboy was the best out of the trilogy. . . but enjoyed all three. As good as any trilogy I've seen.

OH and has anyone seen Deep Red by Dario Argento? I saw Suspiria a few months ago and wasn't impressed at all. Is this one better?

Go on Wibbs, post your top ten and all.

Not sure I have one anymore. The top 4 are easy.

Blade Runner
Godfather 2
Apocalypse Now
3 Colours Blue

After that there are so many films that I like that it is hard to pick just another 5. Off the top of my head some contenders are:-

Once Were Warriors
The Deer Hunter
Being There
Alien and Aliens (in different ways)
The French Connection
Cool Hand Luke
The Man Who Would Be King

And then there are comedy films that are by no means great art but I love them anyway

The Life Of Brian (probably number 5 on my list)
Truly Madly Deeply (comedy drama)
There Is Something About Mary
The Blues Brothers
Getting Square
Blazing Saddles
Animal House

I give up

My top 10 features most of the obvious ones that everyone lists so I won't bother, but one movie I'd have in there is 'Sex, Lies and Videotape'. Brilliantly understated 'true-to-life' dialogue and minimalist direction which manages to avoid being wanky and gimmicky while delivering an emotional punch.

Out of the 'Animal House' type movies, I'd put Porkys in there. Even toilet humour needs to have semi-rounded characters and a plot IMO, which is a principle that the Will Ferrell types don't bother to pay attention to any more.

Saw The Insider again last night. Why don't they make movies like this anymore? Like The Conversation, All The president's Men, interesting movies based on real events. Now it's all about Iraq and Jihad. Idiots.

My top ten's(or there abouts) got some pretty obvious movies in it. Godfather 1 and 2, Colours Tril, Deer Hunter, Amelie, Das Boot, Blade Runner, Solyaris, Raging Bull, Rocky, Rosemary's Baby etc. Others that are perhaps not as well known, but would probably get in my top top depending on my mood. . . Jacob's Ladder, The Prodigal Son, The Breakfast Club, L'Apartment, Oldboy, Spirited Away. Too many to list, to be honest.

I watched Lord Of War last night. I was told it was good, though I have never seen a Nicholas Cage film that wasn't shit so I didn't believe them.

God it was shit, just useless shit.

It was awful. Who ever told you it was good is clearly an idiot.

Top 10 hmmmm

in no particular order

Clerks
Warriors
Dawn of the Dead (original)
The Deer Hunter
Saving Private Ryan
A Bridge too Far
The Great Escape
Aliens
Southern Comfort
Scarface

hmmm an underlying war theme there

Maybe not Oscar-worthy but certainly not shit mate.

He is playing a fecking elvis impersonator in every single movie. He played a drunk fake elvis in that one,i grant you that, but that doesnt mean its any good. Horrible movie by the way.

The reason why his acting works in Wild at Heart is that the character is an elvis maniac.

He is playing a fecking elvis impersonator in every single movie. He played a drunk fake elvis in that one,i grant you that, but that doesnt mean its any good. Horrible movie by the way.

The reason why his acting works in Wild at Heart is that the character is an elvis maniac.
Hehe, semi-agree with you there. I thought he was good though... the movie, on the other hand, was terrible.

Not sure I have one anymore. The top 4 are easy.

Blade Runner
Godfather 2
Apocalypse Now
3 Colours Blue

Good to know someone else also rated Apocalypse Now ahead of the first Godfather Wibbs, Infact, I think it's a tad better than Godfather II as well. I saw it yet again this afternoon and its possibly the best movie that's been shot

Spoony, I've never really gotten into Das Boot. Good movie but there's clearly something major that you've seen in it that I don't get

Good to know someone else also rated Apocalypse Now ahead of the first Godfather Wibbs, Infact, I think it's a tad better than Godfather II as well. I saw it yet again this afternoon and its possibly the best movie that's been shot

Spoony, I've never really gotten into Das Boot. Good movie but there's clearly something major that you've seen in it that I don't get

Das Boot's probably my second fav film ever after Godfather (1&2). I loved it, it was so claustrophobic, you actually felt as if you were in the sub with them. It just had this real quality, it wasn't glorifying the war, it was the opposite, most of the characters simply didn't want to be there. . . it was war, for feck's sake. Being stuck on a sub, knowing you may not survive, must be horrific, and it was easy to empathise with them. The characters were well rounded too, times they were well and truly frightened, other times you could sense the boredom, but they also had the odd laugh. Loved the battle sequences, as well. . . I thought it was gripping, couldn't take my eyes off it. Best war film I've seen by a country mile.

Watch it again, I didn't like Apocalypse Now, the first time I saw it. It can happen.

I watched the first 15 minutes of Norbit tonight.

I hope the rest is better.

Rating 0.5/10 (because I'm in a good mood)

one of these days, there'll be a movie where everyone is played by Eddie Murphy, including some extras walking on the street for 5 seconds.

It has only one decent moment, when Steve Carell starts to shout "Loud Noises!".

I liked that part when Ron read out the auto-cue and said 'I'm Ron Burgundy??'. It made me chuckle. I know the film was meant to be poorly acted(surely?), but they just didn't pull it off. That Brick bloke was awful.

I liked that part when Ron read out the auto-cue and said 'I'm Ron Burgundy??'. It made me chuckle. I know the film was meant to be poorly acted(surely?), but they just didn't pull it off. That Brick bloke was awful.

Brick is the sports guy? That actor is one of the most annoying man I've ever seen on screen.

hey spoony

my friend gave me Four Rooms (1995) ... is it any good -->

fourroomsOrg.jpg

tarantino is mint..but i see there are four directors for this movie, is it worth the time?

Just checked. Luis Buñuel.

Would love to try out his movies. Any recommendations?

If you don't want to sit through pretentious bollocks i'd advise you to avoid all of them.

Un chien andalou - 16mins of wtf?

The phantom of liberty - Just shit, plain shit, the grand ending is just like 5 minutes of a still ostrich not moving. For no reason