Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Apocalypto

Aside from having people having weird props stuck on their faces and blokes on minimal clothing in a forest, it was pretty gash. Poor storyline which goes onto being predictable and tedious in the end

Rating: 4.5/10

The Host. Where to start. . . it's a monster flick, on the face of it. . .but deep down it's a quirky black comedy about a family. I found it hilarious in parts. Not sure the film made total sense in terms of the plot, though. If anyone's watched it they'll know what I mean (spoiler: eg Why didn't the military go after the monster). I'm not Korean, so I don't really understand the mechanics of Korean society, perhaps it's some deep lying metaphor. Who knows, eh. Although, it touched on the socio-political environment in Korea, which I grasped quite easily, but I suspect a person from Korea would enjoy those aspects more. All in all it was good fun. . .and I really enjoyed it.

I watched that..laughable..annoying..but fun in a way

Why do people overhype movies so much? Children of Men was nowhere near as good as people kept telling me. Good movie but too much hype.

Why do people overhype movies so much? Children of Men was nowhere near as good as people kept telling me. Good movie but too much hype.

I didn't like Children of Men. In fact, I thought it was gash. Which other movies are you eferring to?

Well I was only referring to Children right now but it's annoying when people do that. And they do it a lot. How the hell did Children make it to IMDB's top 250?

Well I was only referring to Children right now but it's annoying when people do that. And they do it a lot. How the hell did Children make it to IMDB's top 250?

Crash was another. Awful film, it really was racism for idiots, yet somehow was highly rated. As for Imdb, most of them are kids.

Children of men is a beautifully shot movie, you can have problems with the story but the direction is something else, the long shots for the actions scenes are incredible.

Children of men is a beautifully shot movie, you can have problems with the story but the direction is something else, the long shots for the actions scenes are incredible.

Cinematography was top notch. But I was expecting more.

Cinematography was top notch. But I was expecting more.

Mildly spoilerish

If you aren't left stunned by the scene in Bexhil theres no hope for you, the long unbroken take whilst a battle rages around the hero ending with the beautiful scene with the baby crying, thats cinema at its best

That scene, the one in the car, the escape, all of them integrate fxs and new filming techniques flawlessly

Mildly spoilerish

If you aren't left stunned by the scene in Bexhil theres no hope for you, the long unbroken take whilst a battle rages around the hero ending with the beautiful scene with the baby crying, thats cinema at its best

That was the best part of the film. Still, I expected more. And I had a few gripes with the movie. . . which I've forgotten. Watch the original Solyaris by Tarkovsky. Now that will blow your mind away. (not an easy watch, though).

And great cinematography doesn't make a film great.

What happened to those movies you'd ordered? In America, Seventh seal and others.

Watched In America, it was good, but I felt it spoonfed the viewer. Hana-bi was much better. I also got Bittersweet Life, which I liked, Devil's Backbone, which I haven;t seen. Received Persona through the post, this morning(Seventh Seal, I downloaded without subs). I'm loving Korean cinema at the mo.

er. . . Clerks II was hilarious. I liked The Host. 11:14 was a very good watch. Enjoyed Scanner Darkly. Oh Tesis was good(Director of Open Your Eyes). Solyaris was probably the hardest watch, but I think it's a masterpiece. Can't think of anymore, that I've seen recently.

2046 I liked a lot, it follows a writer as he tells several different story's about love, so it has several hot women. I think its kind of a sequel to 'In the mood for love' which I've had sat on my hard drive for ages, you can watch the former without having seen the latter, though I guess it would help if you had.

I'm still waiting for Europa Europa to come. Next in line are Key Largo, Third Man and Cross of Iron.

Europa Europa's excellent. I enjoyed Goodbye Lenin more, though. There are a few more that I'd love to check out in that genre(post WW2. . . East Germany etc). Amen, Black Book, Au Revoir Les Enfants and The Lives of Others.

Europa Europa's excellent. I enjoyed Goodbye Lenin more, though. There are a few more that I'd love to check out in that genre(post WW2. . . East Germany etc). Amen, Black Book, Au Revoir Les Enfants and The Lives of Others.

Add Sophie Scholl to that.

Jesus Spoony, you watch a lot of movies

i started watching The Silver Surfer tonight, absolute rubbish, turned it off

live_free_or_die_hard.jpg

Live Free or Die Hard

John McClane lives! Went to watch this movie tonight with absolutely no expectations. Turned out to be the best action flick I have seen in years. And I mean years. It had everything. The cheesy 90s dialogues, the bullet dodging McClane, the ridiculously impossible action sequences. Seriously, action movies don't come much better than this. Took me back to the days of the original Die Hard and Terminator movies. Great movie this one, a must watch for all Die Hard fans.

9/10

the-life-of-david-gale.jpg

Anti-death penalty activist David Gale is convicted and condemned to death for the rape and murder of a colleague. Days before his execution, journalist Bitsey Bloom is sent to conduct David Gale's final interview. What she finds challenges her belief in Gale's guilt and, finally, in the justice system.

Rating - 5/10