Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Right. A list of films I've either bought or
The Sting
Redford and Newman was fantastic.
I love heist movies, and this is one of the best.
The twist at the end was good, and it's good to see Dana Elcar (Pete Thornton of MacGyver in this movie)

Kung Fu Hustle
Dog of Cookery

Both Stephen Chow movie I presume? The second one should be God of Cookery.
I like them both. Chow movies was formulatic, but his comedy was funny as feck that I don't mind them. It usually started with Chow as at good-at-nothing guy, who found out later that he have special powers.
I love that scene where he learned to cook at the Shaolin Temple :lol:. And when the monks form this difficult formation to unleashed a 'special kung-fu move' only to reveal that the special move is actually beating the crap of the opponent with a chair :lol:

I went to the cinema and watched Ocean's 13 and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.
Ocean was nice I think. It was entertaining to a degree. And while the con tactics was a bit too much, it didn't bother me that much
FF was a huge improvement from the first. Alba was still miscast though. Honestly, who can believe that she's a genetic scientist? Julian Sands as Doom is just like he repeat his role from Charmed. Comic book Doom was like an evil Batman. A villain whose greatest power is his mind, not some electric power sapping shit. He was stupid in the movie, and wasn't really that threatening

Redford and Newman was fantastic.
I love heist movies, and this is one of the best.
The twist at the end was good, and it's good to see Dana Elcar (Pete Thornton of MacGyver in this movie)

Both Stephen Chow movie I presume? The second one should be God of Cookery.
I like them both. Chow movies was formulatic, but his comedy was funny as feck that I don't mind them. It usually started with Chow as at good-at-nothing guy, who found out later that he have special powers.
I love that scene where he learned to cook at the Shaolin Temple :lol:. And when the monks form this difficult formation to unleashed a 'special kung-fu move' only to reveal that the special move is actually beating the crap of the opponent with a chair :lol:

Watched Kung Fu Hustle last night. Looked brilliant, and I liked the parodies not to mention the action, but I just didn't think it was that funny at all. Maybe I'm just getting too old. . .

saw Pan's Labrynth(sp?) the other day.
in Spanish but with subtitles.

good film I thought. some scenes were hard to watch cos of the violence but ths story was well worked. the guy playing the Spanish captain was very good playing a total sadist.

On a retro 80's kick at the moment (cheap DVD sale). So here goes

Some Kind Of Wonderful Decent soundtrack and despite being just another 80's high school drama involving rich kids and kids from "the wrong side of the tracks" this film stands head and shoulders above the usual 80's teen fare. Mainly due to decent performances all round, with Mary Stuart Masterton as Watts and Elias Koteas as Duncan standing out. Probably a much better film if you were a teenager in the mid 80's than if you are watching it for the first time now due to the nostalgia factor but well worth a watch. If for no other reason than to hear the Lick The Tins version of the Elvis song Can't Help Falling In Love at the end.
Rating 8/10 (if you are 40) to 6/10 (if you are 15)

I was thinking of some sort of gradual ratings reduction with age (or lack thereof).

I went through a phase of buying John Hughes' films and other similar 80's movie. Was a great nostalgia fix.

Solyaris(Tarkovsky). I didn't like Stalker, so I was worried that I find it difficult to get into Solyaris, but oddly enough, I was drawn into the film fairly easily. The film itself, was Tarkovsky's answer to 2001, apparently. It didn't look as visually stunning, but it was substance over style, unlike Kubrick's film. Deeply philosophical, touched on everything from first contact, relationships, humanity. . .to. . . love. The first hour was very atmospheric, as well. . . in fact it was well and truly creepy. Still, didn't digest everything and by the end of the film my head was going to explode.

In fact, it's still threatening to do so at this moment.

Brilliant film. . .although, it may not be everyone's cuppa.

Chung King Express

Started off with lots of promise, then took a major fall in the middle but finished off rather well in the end. The most disappointing part was that what was turning out to be a rather interesting story was left unfinished. Or rather they thought it was finished but it didn't quite feel finished.

7/10

Pather Panchali (Song of the Little Road)

First offering of the Apu trilogy, and the debut of a brilliant filmaker. Excellent characterisation and cinematography, both integral parts of Satyajit Ray's works. This tells the story of a Bengali family in their native village and how various aspects of life such as debt, relationships, sexual discrimination and many other flaws prevailing in the then (and somewhat even now) society in rural India. It's Ray at his best, where he adapts the story well and succeeds in the portrayal of calling a spade just that and deriving from it.

7.5/10

Aparajito (The Invicible)

The second offering, where it shows the progress of Apu from youth to adolescence and how as always incidents change his and his family's lives. A simpler story than the first yet very well executed with brilliant characterisation again

8/10

I'm about to get my hands on these two again along with the third part which I was long dying to watch

Chung King Express

Started off with lots of promise, then took a major fall in the middle but finished off rather well in the end. The most disappointing part was that what was turning out to be a rather interesting story was left unfinished. Or rather they thought it was finished but it didn't quite feel finished.

7/10
Common theme in Wong Kar Wai's movies if I remember correctly. They just kind of end. I thought it was a good movie. His best is In The Mood for Love.

A Bittersweet Life by Ji-woon Kim director of A Tale of Two Sisters. Another Korean revenge flick, but not as convoluted as the Vengeance trilogy, in fact it was the opposite. The film was very stylish. . .fantastic cinematography and the score was excellent, too. A Bittersweet Life was well paced out and overall it was thoroughly enjoyable, with some quality action scenes, containing gun-fight and martial art sequences. However, my gripe with the film was, it should've had more character development.

A very good film.

I'll probably purchase A Quiet Family, too.

Korean cinema's top. Here are some I think I should check out, after doiung some research.

Failan
Oasis
II mare
Memories of Murder
JSA
Save the Green Planet

Peppermint Candy
Ditto

Anymore, then?

I watched the first 15 minutes of Norbit tonight.

I hope the rest is better.

Rating 0.5/10 (because I'm in a good mood)

Norbit. They were showing that on my flight to India. I chose some movie with Mandy Moore over it. I don't like Mandy Moore either.

Reign over me

It's about two old college friends who run into each other after many years and one of them is in mess due to losing his family in 9-11.
Good movie, I liked it. For once Adam Salder wasn't annoying and some really funny bits in the movie. Still I felt there was something missing, hard to say possibly story wise it could have been little better.

7.5 out of 10 for me

The Host. Where to start. . . it's a monster flick, on the face of it. . .but deep down it's a quirky black comedy about a family. I found it hilarious in parts. Not sure the film made total sense in terms of the plot, though. If anyone's watched it they'll know what I mean (spoiler: eg Why didn't the military go after the monster). I'm not Korean, so I don't really understand the mechanics of Korean society, perhaps it's some deep lying metaphor. Who knows, eh. Although, it touched on the socio-political environment in Korea, which I grasped quite easily, but I suspect a person from Korea would enjoy those aspects more. All in all it was good fun. . .and I really enjoyed it.

It's really a film about family values, dressed up as a monster flick. So, don't expect Jurassic Park, Korean style.