Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Monster's
:eek: this films stinks , the acting is dreadful and the plot is even worse.
On a par with 7th Street Vanishing I watched the other night , easily makes it into my 10 worst films.

1/10

Prowl
Vampire film ,well I think it was :confused:
Vampire films are not really my cup of tea and this one did not change my mind.

3/10

Due Date

You can actually see it trying to be funny. Zack Galifisomething plays the same character as he did in The Hangover, and Robert Downey Jr. plays a complete wanker, making it very difficult to feel any sympathy whatsoever for him. I don't think anyone involved could really be bothered.

Due Date

You can actually see it trying to be funny. Zack Galifisomething plays the same character as he did in The Hangover, and Robert Downey Jr. plays a complete wanker, making it very difficult to feel any sympathy whatsoever for him. I don't think anyone involved could really be bothered.

I almost pissed myself jr spat in the dogs face

Cedar Rapids 7/10

Pretty good cast, not a great movie probably would be a 6 of it were sans clay Davis and all the wire reference

American History X - It's great duh. But everytime I watch it just makes me feel sad that Ed Norton hasn't taken a real great role other than 25th Hour/Fight Club since it. Such wasted talent at this point.

Go watch The Score, a criminally underrated heist flick with three generations of brilliant actors represented via Norton, De Niro and Brando.

I've seen the Score. But it's not that good, pretty generic heist film with a solid Primal Fear repeat performance from Norton.

Fair Game

7/10
- I rented this from iTunes out of interest to see how the final production turned out after the Producers approached my office in Baghdad to shoot some pickups in 2009.

After following the story of the real Joe Wilson and Valarie Plame, i was pleasantly surprised at how well the Penn/Watts combination worked.

Battle LA: I can see a lot of you poncey film geeks not liking it because it's inherently a style over substance film (although ironically the parts where they tried to throw in a bit of substance were easily the worst parts), but I thought it was great. Probably would have been better if there was more gore, and it get a bit gay towards the end though. Well, very gay. But it was a really enjoyable action blockbuster. The type of which you can sit back and watch men firing guns and big explosions and then leave the cinema feeling inspired to go home and do proper manly shit like put up a shelf or summit. Some of the fighting scenes were really well shot as well, pretty tense. And what I liked about the film was all the stuff going on in the background, fighting and planes getting blown up and junk.

It was just an enjoyable watch most of the way through really, and a film I could happily watch again. 7/10

Made In Dagenham

Terribly underwhelmed by this movie, I was. It seemed to be filmed in the style of a Brit comedy but there were no laughs to be had and yet, on the other hand, was not in the least bit gritty or dramatic.

One woman had an argument with her husband and another had to give up a modelling career that she'd had all of half an hour and then they had some sherry and it was all sorted.

Rosamund Pike was it's only saving grace. She's endlessly watchable with an amazing voice.

All in all, 5.5/10

Battle LA: I can see a lot of you poncey film geeks not liking it because it's inherently a style over substance film (although ironically the parts where they tried to throw in a bit of substance were easily the worst parts), but I thought it was great. Probably would have been better if there was more gore, and it get a bit gay towards the end though. Well, very gay. But it was a really enjoyable action blockbuster. The type of which you can sit back and watch men firing guns and big explosions and then leave the cinema feeling inspired to go home and do proper manly shit like put up a shelf or summit. Some of the fighting scenes were really well shot as well, pretty tense. And what I liked about the film was all the stuff going on in the background, fighting and planes getting blown up and junk.

It was just an enjoyable watch most of the way through really, and a film I could happily watch again. 7/10

Watched last night and was a good movie.

Due Date

Unwatchable.

Due Date

Surprised, I thought the film was very funny.

Not as funny as the Hangover, but other than that i've not laughed so much at a film in a while.

I almost pissed myself jr spat in the dogs face

This is one of the funniest bits of the film, along with Downey-Jr punching the kid, and Zach Galifianikis in the back of the truck.

Those scenes had me cracking up.

Lincoln Lawyer: I read the book years ago, but from what I can remember, the main points pan out very similarly to the book. It's a pretty good film as far as semi predictable courtroom drama's go.
My main gripe is that Matthew McConaughey was very annoying in the first third of the movie. I'm still trying to work out if his performance got better, or if I got immune to it?

From Paris With Love: Predictable, over the top but still enjoyable. I found myself liking John Travolta's one man army super agent.

Surprised, I thought the film was very funny.

Not as funny as the Hangover, but other than that i've not laughed so much at a film in a while.

This is one of the funniest bits of the film, along with Downey-Jr punching the kid, and Zach Galifianikis in the back of the truck.

Those scenes had me cracking up

Same here those both had me laughing

Ronin.

This has been sat on my HD for ages ,decided to watch it today , what an excellent film.
Good storylines ,well acted and one of the best car chases I have seen in a film.
Only downfall was Shaun Bean , what a dreadful part he played.
Wish the ending would of answered a few question.
What was in the Silver Case and who was The Man from Bristol also where did the suitcase full of money go.

Excellent film
8/10

Memento Just got round to watching this. Probably one of the most original films I've ever seen. I liked the whole backwards story thing the film had. Good characters and acting. A bit predictable though. - 7/10

Faster

OK it has The Rock in it and I was not expecting much from it , but I thought it was a really good film.
He plays a good part of a guy out of prison wanting revenge on those that killed his brother.
Billy Bob Thornton play's and excellent part of a ex drug addict washed up copper.
Has a few good plot twists in it.
Worth a watch.

6.5/10

Ok so I started watching a film called 'Speed of Thought' last night, though I lost my internet connection after 20 odd minutes. Which, from what I saw of the film, was actually a blessing. Has anyone seen it, and if so is it worth me watching the rest?

Did anyone watch 'The Way Back'?

It's a historical movie about a group of prisoners escape from Siberian Gulag and walk 4000 miles overland to freedom in India.

Based on a true story.

Ronin.

This has been sat on my HD for ages ,decided to watch it today , what an excellent film.
Good storylines ,well acted and one of the best car chases I have seen in a film.
Only downfall was Shaun Bean , what a dreadful part he played.
Wish the ending would of answered a few question.
What was in the Silver Case and who was The Man from Bristol also where did the suitcase full of money go.

Excellent film
8/10

Good film

13 Assassins - Very good samurai film, one of Miike's most serious and accomplished works. Lots of great sword fighting action.
I REALLY want to see this one.

And I just got done watching a movie that's nothing like it.

Love and Other Drugs. So, before the movie starts, a title card reads '1996'. Ok, I'll get my mind ready to remember 1996. The opening scene sees Jake Gyllenhal's character selling electronics such as: a dual-tape boombox, a camera that came out in the 2000s, and flat screen TVs that look just like the one I bought in 2006 a few months after it had been released. That's not a good opening scene. At least do some research into what was around at the time. feck, it was only 15 years ago, it's not that hard.

The main problem with the movies is that it tries to be too many things. At times it's a raunchy comedy, a romantic comedy, and finally a serious movie about being dedicated to helping somebody you want to be with. Combine those and it doesn't really add up. We're supposed to feel for Hathaway's and Gyllenhal's character's relationship(made very complicated by her disease), but then we also get a scene where Gyllenhal's brother jerks off to a sex tape between Gyllenhal and Hathaway. What the feck? Hathaway having Parkinson is a huge plot point, but feels glossed over. There is one very good scene involving a man telling Gyllenhal exactly what it's like to be with somebody who suffers from Parkinsons. Sadly, there's not enough of that. And I can't believe I wrote this much about that movie.

4.5/10

City of Lost Children 1995 French fantasy about some mad scientist kidnapping children to steal their dreams. Has Ron Perlman speaking very bad French, but besides that a very charming and yet mature fantasy flick. 8/10

watching Batman Forever on ITV2 on a boring night shift.
What a crap film ,what were they one when they wrote this utter shit , Tommy Lee Jones is much better than this rubbish , all I can think of is he needed the money , why else would he be in it.

Did anyone watch 'The Way Back'?

It's a historical movie about a group of prisoners escape from Siberian Gulag and walk 4000 miles overland to freedom in India.

Based on a true story.

I watched this. This had pacing issues for me, and some of the interesting bits were just completly jumped through in minutes like a Rocky montage. For example when they are about to cross the Himalayas I was thinking man this is gonna be tough and then you see them climb a few rocks and all of a sudden they are through it? I mean come on, sacrifice some desert walking and laying with flannels over faces for more of that.

I was highly disappointed in it, had been looking forward to it for ages
It came across as nothing more than a made for TV movie

Faster

Stars The Rock and Billy Bob Thornton. I enjoyed it. Revenge movie, with The Rock as your typical anti hero. If you enjoyed Taken you could do a lot worse. The ending was a little predictable, but it is worth a watch, regardless.

Dark City [1997]

Watched this again but on Blu-Ray. Criminally one of the most underrated Sci-fi flicks, its basically the Matrix but in a neo-noir setting. Kiefer Sutherland is terrific in it. 9/10

Well said RK love that movie myself, very good on Blu ray as well, especially late as night, love the darkness of the film, in context and cinematography

Scream 4

As a big fan of the Scream trilogy, I was looking forward to seeing this and interested to see what they'd do with it. In my opinion, it was all a bit predictable. It started off kind of slow, but got better as it went on.

It was just good, but I was hoping it'd be brilliant and it wasn't.. You could see the majority of things a mile off. I was kind of disappointed in the killer(s), I just didn't get it. I think they could have just left it as a trilogy, and that was that. Apparently though, this one is the start of a new trilogy. If it is, I hope number 5 is going to be more surprising and not as predictable as this one. I understand if they're doing a new trilogy, they want to make it completely new, but it just didn't feel like the other Scream movies IMO (e.g. no Red Right Hand song in it). That appeared in every other Scream movie, but not this one. There was one mention of Billy Loomis, but I think that was about it. Like I said, yes I understand they're moving on now with different characters, but the new ones don't match up in my eyes.

7/10

Battle LA
I was not expecting much , but I thought it was excellent ,had a good story to it , yes it was your usual ,ET lands and wants to takeover the world but I thought it was done very well.
The fighting was believable and the background fighting and the detail put into it was excellent.
There was a good background story about mistrust and earning back.
There will be a second film coming out of that I have no doubt and I will look forward to watching it.
a good solid 7/10

Hot tub time machine 4/10

As daft as its title suggests. I really should have known at the scale of my son's incredulity that I was watching it. However as a fan of John Cusack I decided to see it through, and even found myself enjoying it a little. Does Cusack have nothing better to do though?

Hot tub time machine 4/10

As daft as its title suggests. I really should have known at the scale of my son's incredulity that I was watching it. However as a fan of John Cusack I decided to see it through, and even found myself enjoying it a little. Does Cusack have nothing better to do though?

I felt like walking out on that movie.