Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Arctic Blast
I am a sucker for a disaster film but this Australian one just sucks
Very much in the style of Day after Tommorow.
The film it self has a semi decent storyline , but the acting is just dreadful.
It was like The Sullivan's had be brought back for this film , the acting was that bad
4/10 just for a half decent story line

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - My second favourite of the trilogy. Really good.
A Bittersweet Life - Good, stylish gangster film.
The Host - More than your average monster film.
Attack The Gas Station! - A bit silly but just the absurdeness of the premise makes it worth a watch.
Save the Green Planet! - Bonkers.
The Good, The Bad, The Weird - I noticed that you included a few films with Song Kang-ho in it, he's on top form in this one, the film...reasonably entertaining.

Oh, and A Tale of Two Sisters.

Some good ones in there. Save the Green Planet showed me new ways of making movies. What a weird one that ones but I really enjoyed it.

The Host is probably the best monster film I've seen.

A good list there but you talked of a trilogy and didn't mentions Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Also a great film.

The Rock

utter shite. nic cage and sean connery should be totally embarrassed at having read that script and agreed to lend their services to it.

2/10

:lol:

A-fecking-men.

Can't believe how many people told me this steaming horse turd of a film was good.

L'illusionniste - Delightfully melancholic and wonderfully animated. Didn't have much dialogue, was almost like a silent movie in that way and the backdrop of Edinburgh looked quite nice. - 7/10

The Game - 2/10

Absolute shite. Films of the thriller genre is wholly dependent on a twist ending and if it comes across as contrived or predictable, the entire premise of the film is ruined and it will be rendered as a piece of crap. The Game was clearly the case. It was a poor premise of a storyline to make a film on in the first place not to mention to nullifying build up play and the twist that I saw coming twenty kilometers away.

There are thrillers like Momento or the Prestige which the ending, in one way or another, makes up for a lot of faults in the rising action. I suppose David Fincher should not be directing thrillers as I absolutely hated Se7en too.

uncle-boonmee.jpg

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - Strange film. Very slow moving...beautiful at times. One thing is for certain; I haven't seen anything quite like it before. Very unique film but yeah, the pacing worked against it at times, especially towards the end when it was easy to loose interest. It certainly had it's interesting moments though.

On a rather heavy hangover day, I decided to watch the Godfather trilogy again, back to back. Other than re-deciding that the first is indeed the better film, which I had previously decided was II, the other realisation I came to is how badly the third stacks up compared to the others, especially if you watch them back to back. Obviously everyone knows this, but I mean really badly. Not just a bit worse...It comes very close to ruining the character of Michael Corleone.

I'd advise anyone thinking of watching it to not watch it straight after the others, or at any time remotely near them, or preferably, at any time...cos it'll only annoy you.

10 things that are wrong with the Godfather part III

1. Al Pacino isn't playing Michael Corleone - Part of the problem in returning to the story 15 + years on is that in the intervening years Al Pacino has achieved the uniquely impressive feat of turning into a completely different person. The fresh faced, handsome, quietly intense, high pitched softly spoken Pacino of the Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon is all but a half remembered thought in a hazy drunken dream, replaced by the sunken eyed, erratic haired, hunched over, gravelly voiced, quirky shouty loon of the Devils Advocate and everything since. He even seems to be a different ethnicity now too somehow. Added to this is the unshakable fact that he's not playing the right character in this film. Michael as we left him in Part II is pure evil. Calculated, almost callously unemotive and beyong reproach. Even before his transformation there's a clear level of seriousness and intensity there. Here he's all wry jokes and sly winks and playful expressions with a bit of Tony Montana thrown in here and there when he gets a bit upset. It's basically Pacino playing someone else he might have played in another film once. Or himself. But not Michael Corleone. It's hard to care for the plight of your main character when he's not playing the same character.

2. Talia Shire isn't playing Connie Corleone - Connie from the first two films, and the book, is a demure, timid, fairly shy put upon battered wife and eventual damaged drunk and then eventual stay at home sister. She was never remotely interested in the "family business" other than hating it and was never allowed near it anyway. Here however, she's in full on drag-queen pantomime witch mode, straight out of bad episode of Desperte Housewives meets the Witches of Eastwick, serving as a sort of defacto underboss and both ordering and carrying out hits. Its bat shit OTT character metamorphosis. It's almost as if Talia Coppola (for 'tis her name) told her brother she'd "love to be in the new one again, but wouldn't it be cool if I was like, you know, a gangster too, or something? And I could look evil and wear black and squint a lot".. Did anyone involved in this film actually watch the first two?

3. Sofia Coppola is playing a character in this film. - There isn't one single reason why the Godfather III fails spectacularly in holding a candle to it's earlier instalments, but if you could pin down one as the most obvious example to demonstrate your point to someone, it'd be this. Her acting is atrocious in this film. And I don't just mean atrocious, I mean atrocious, though I'm aware you're unable to hear the emphasis I gave that when I though it. She's 'The Room' atrocious. She's out acted by Andy Garcia's chest hair. She out woods the chair Pacino dies on. She's fecking atrocious in this film.

4. The stuff that actually happens - Is all very stupid. There are about 5 plots in this film and none of them are very captivating. Some of them just stop after 20 or so minutes and are never addressed again. Some of them start about half way through. Bridget Fonda was in it at one point, and then wasn't. It didn't make much difference The fact that Garcia starts the film as a rent a thug bastard cousin no one has seen in ages or really gives a shit about and who has to gate crash a party just to get near the family, but ends it by being made Don and heir and given control of everything in what seems like a couple of months sums up how retarded it is basically. They wanted to make a 4th out of his reign as Godfather. Shame we missed out on that masterpiece ey?

5. George Hamilton is in this film, and he's called BJ - Seriously man, this is The Godfather, what are you doing? "Yeah Duvall won't do it, who shall we get?....George Hamilton? Yeah that sounds about right. Lets call him BJ Harrison."..Have a word with yourself Francis.

6. Incest - One thing I didn't think was obviously missing from the first two, was Incest. Some one clearly disagreed though, so here we have a bizarre incest subplot about how first cousins Sofa Coppola and Andy Chestwig are madly in love, though if you were going solely on Coppola's acting, you could be confused into thinking she was just mildly impressed with the furniture. Everyone keeps referring to this as "dangerous" in a sinister but unexplained way, but doesn't treat it with any importance, probably because it's just as tediously boring a romance for them as it is everyone else watching.

7. Someone orders a Helicopter to assassinate a room. - Obviously someone saw Die Hard before writing this and decided it needed a really cool action scene with a Helicopter. Like Godfather movies usually do.

8. Why is Diane Keaton even in it? - She starts the film hating Michael and having spent years with no inclination to see him - which makes sense considering the events of II. However for some reason she spends all of this film hanging around him doing nothing in pretty much every other scene. She does this ostensibly "for the kids" excpet that they're never actually there, and she just hangs around not doing anything and occasionally saying stuff of no interest. It's as if they thought it'd be really good to get Keaton back in it, but couldn't be arsed to write her a decent part. So they just have her hanging around. There are a lot of parts like that in this film.

9. It's got a voiceover - Voicovers are usually the preserve of filmakers who can't think of a decent way to tell the story visually. The first two didn't have one, because they were great films. This one starts with one. It's downhill from there on in.

10. Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune. - You know that bit in one of the shitter James Bond films where a street musician (or something) starts playing the Bond theme and Roger Moore says something like "catchy tune" and everyone in the audience shouts "feck off" at the screen in unison? Well they've only gone and put that in this film. For an inexplicable reason about half way through Tony says "Hey dad, I've got a surprise for you, it's an old Sicilian song" and proceeds to sing the Godfather theme tune to his dad, and a table of equally bored looking old men, over dinner, for a full three minutes, whilst flashbacks show Al pinning for a time when Francis Ford Coppola knew how to make great films.

Sadly, I could probably write at least 10 more....For shame Francis, for shame.

Oh yeah, 5.5/10, mostly for the music. I & II are 9.9 and 9.8.

I found myself in an embarrassing situation last year where, at the age of 39 and in a pub conversation with guys around my age we got onto the Godfather and I had to admit that I had never watched any of the films.

The stunned silence and "get your coat" looks were enough to convince me that I should invest in a genre that had never particularly appealed to me and so I bought the box-set.

I watched 1 & 2 one consecutive days as soon as I got the DVDs and, I must admit, loved them but I had heard so many bad things about 3 that I left it in the box for weeks because I couldn't bring myself to spend 3 hours (or whatever it is) of my irreplacable life on something that I "know" to be a complete pile of shite. It was like I was going to watch it just to confirm to myself that, yes, everyone else was right.

However, I enjoyed it. Yes, one or two personalities might have changed but who amongst us behaves exactly as we did 15 years ago? Given that these characters had enjoyed wealth and power during those years, perhaps it was even more understandable that their personalities had changed somewhat.

Michael Corleone was always the reluctant participant in his family's activities and he did what he had to do in order to survive and protect the interests of his family but it did not seem too beyond believability that he would later "regret" his actions and seek some kind of "forgiveness" in his later years.

Of the three, it is definitely the weakest but that was always likely to be the case. I still think it's a highly watchable film though. I've seen a lot, lot worse.

I have to agree about Coppola's daughter being given a part though. She was absolutely shit and whilst I can understand a dad doing his bit to give his kid a chance, surely he'd made other films around the same time that he could have sacrificed in such a way?

EDIT: On Michael Corleone - you could argue that the personality change he exhibited in the first film was even more unbelievable. He seemed to go from this demure, honest, steady-jobbed, in love with his girlfriend, distant from the family-business kinda guy to the most ruthless muthafecka in America as soon as his dad got what was always likely to happen to him. Displaying a slightly unbelievable penchant for survival in an arena which should have been alien to him against what should have been far savvier opponents yet he manages to outwit them all in one fell sweep. *Shrug*.

Thanks for the korean/japanese movie recommendations guys, will start work on "acquiring" them.

Taking Lives - Honestly don't know why I even bothered to finish this one, typical paint by numbers serial killer thriller, seen one seen em' all. 2/10.

Skeletons A quirky British take on the supernatural detectives type film. The low budget sometimes shows and the acting/directing/scriptwriting is quite variable and it is a little long/slow at times but still worth a watch anyway. A little more complexity in the plot or failing that a little more emotional depth in the finale would have improved the film a great deal.4/10

I found myself in an embarrassing situation last year where, at the age of 39 and in a pub conversation with guys around my age we got onto the Godfather and I had to admit that I had never watched any of the films.

The stunned silence and "get your coat" looks were enough to convince me that I should invest in a genre that had never particularly appealed to me and so I bought the box-set.

I watched 1 & 2 one consecutive days as soon as I got the DVDs and, I must admit, loved them but I had heard so many bad things about 3 that I left it in the box for weeks because I couldn't bring myself to spend 3 hours (or whatever it is) of my irreplacable life on something that I "know" to be a complete pile of shite. It was like I was going to watch it just to confirm to myself that, yes, everyone else was right.

However, I enjoyed it. Yes, one or two personalities might have changed but who amongst us behaves exactly as we did 15 years ago? Given that these characters had enjoyed wealth and power during those years, perhaps it was even more understandable that their personalities had changed somewhat.

Michael Corleone was always the reluctant participant in his family's activities and he did what he had to do in order to survive and protect the interests of his family but it did not seem too beyond believability that he would later "regret" his actions and seek some kind of "forgiveness" in his later years.

Of the three, it is definitely the weakest but that was always likely to be the case. I still think it's a highly watchable film though. I've seen a lot, lot worse.

I have to agree about Coppola's daughter being given a part though. She was absolutely shit and whilst I can understand a dad doing his bit to give his kid a chance, surely he'd made other films around the same time that he could have sacrificed in such a way?

EDIT: On Michael Corleone - you could argue that the personality change he exhibited in the first film was even more unbelievable. He seemed to go from this demure, honest, steady-jobbed, in love with his girlfriend, distant from the family-business kinda guy to the most ruthless muthafecka in America as soon as his dad got what was always likely to happen to him. Displaying a slightly unbelievable penchant for survival in an arena which should have been alien to him against what should have been far savvier opponents yet he manages to outwit them all in one fell sweep. *Shrug*.

Pretty much. 3 is a very good movie for me, purely for its storyline being the characters' natural progression on the movie.

Either ways, if one did a full hypothesis on 1 and 2, there would be a bunch of questions, mostly pedantic, emerging out of them too. It's a movie, get on board and either like it or dislike it.

The Runaways - Everything it promises to be and more. Fantastic film, had me entertained from start to finish. 9/10

I have never seen anyone give that movie that high rating. Hell even I did not give it that much and I m like the biggest Kristen Stewart fan on Redcafe.

The one with Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart? I'd hardly say it's fantastic.
I have never seen anyone give that movie that high rating. Hell even I did not give it that much and I m like the biggest Kristen Stewart fan on Redcafe.
I loved it, my love of Joan Jett combined with the fact that Kristen Steward was playing her may have effected my opinion though.

Vertigo I hate it. The most overrated piece of shit in the world. The music at the start pissed me off, the storyline wasn't particularly good, the characters were awful, the acting was okay but not good enough to salvage the plot. Just awful. 4/10

4/10 is a pretty good mark for something "Just awful" and "shit" tbf

Vertigo I hate it. The most overrated piece of shit in the world. The music at the start pissed me off, the storyline wasn't particularly good, the characters were awful, the acting was okay but not good enough to salvage the plot. Just awful. 4/10

A bit harsh that, definitely took a bit of a dive in quality after that bell tower scene but it's still a very good movie.

A bit harsh that, definitely took a bit of a dive in quality after that bell tower scene but it's still a very good movie.
I found the storyline complete and utterly ridiculous,

The Judy character was just completely ridiculous, for crying out loud, she was helping a man she supposedly loved to kill his wife so she could be with him, only to fall in love with the detective she was deceiving in a very short amount of time (I could understand if maybe they'd had more time together). Not to mention, why on earth would let Scotty essentially turn her into Madelin?

And how did Scotty not work out what was going on earlier? He's a bloody awful detective.

Also the ending was ridiculous, although I did like the sweet irony that even when he overcame his Vertigo he couldn't save the girl.

Overall I just don't think the storyline was worth two hours of my life.

Anybody here watched "I Am Number Four"?

I did. It's all pretty hazy, I have no idea how I got to the theatre and why I chose to see this but it is without doubt the shitiest movie I'm going to see this year. Absolute garbage.

Rating - 1/10

How to Train Your Dragon - 8/10

I love animated films, even though I was disappointed by Up and Despicable Me. I thought this one was brilliant.

How to Train Your Dragon - 8/10

I love animated films, even though I was disappointed by Up and Despicable Me. I thought this one was brilliant.

:eek: - I thought Up was fantastic as animated childrens/family movies go!

Not seen despicable me, and I thought How to Train Your Dragon was very good too, watched it on the plane to Egypt last summer.

Fish Tank

Very interesting film. Good cast all round, apart from the slightly annoying younger sister, and a heart-stopping moment towards the end that you might only fully appreciate if you have a young daughter. Worth checking out. Got really good ratings on Metacritic too.

8.5/10

Anyone seen Tropa De Elite 2? Loved the first one, hopefully the sequel will do it justice.

Was it really that bad?

It was like the retard child of every generic high school movie you have ever seen (complete with the new boy in school who doesn't quite fit in, the prom-queen girl who loves taking photos on her camera because she's cool that way, the geeky kid who gets beat on by the school bullies etc etc ad nauseum) and the B-grade sci-fi/fantasy movies we've been subjected to in the last 10 years after LotR and HP. The dialogues cringeworthy, the plots non-existent and the actings worth a Razzie or two. Check it out though.

Paul

Went to watch this last night, thought it was brilliant.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are very funny writers, and I thought this was better than Hot Fuzz and at least as good as if not better than Shaun of the Dead.

Seth Rogen was a brilliant choice to do the voice of Paul too.

Three tits, awesome.

7.5/10