Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Chaser 8/10.

Great Korean flick about an ex-cop turned pimp who's trying to track down some of the girls who disappeared on him. At first he thinks it's the competition that snatched them, but he eventually realizes it's much more sinister than that. Awesome, intense ride, one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years.

http://www.kickasstorrents.com/the-chaser-2008-720p-brrip-x264-aac-bellboy-kingdom-release-t4385659.html

so he uses his cop skills to catch the people doing it...hmm interesting.

shades of Bad Leuitenent.

Went to see Tangled last night with the GF; I'm convincd at the end of the movie she symbolically has sex with him - giving him her flower... the gf reckons it is just in my, sick, head but I reckon it was really obvious, too obvious for it to be just in my head.

The Wrestler is a good movie, a nice 7.7 out of 10.

China Town 8.5 - Roman Polanski's classic movie. Great drama, great cast of characters, just hate that there has to be some inappropriate child stuff. The movie would have been great without that piece.

Love and other drugs 6.8 - Not what I thought it would be. Deeper than a vanilla romantic comedy, but nothing amazing. There are some questions asked, how much would you sacrifice for the woman you love. Great insight on the pharmaceutical sales industry and the movie is based on a sales rep's book. Lots of nudity!

Watched, for the second time, a great Australian film titled Lake Mungo. At first, it seems to be one of those now-clichéd 'mockumentaries' but despite its unprepossessing premise...

Sixteen-year-old Alice Palmer drowns while swimming in the local dam. When her body is recovered and a verdict of accidental death returned, her grieving family buries her. The family then experiences a series of strange and inexplicable events centered around their home. Profoundly unsettled, the Palmers seek the help of psychic and parapsychologist, Ray Kemeny. Kemeny discovers that Alice led a double life. A series of clues lead the family to Lake Mungo where Alice's secret past emerges.
(Source: Wikipedia)

...the film haunted me for days afterwards. Not your typical ghost story, by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone else seen Lake Mungo? Am I reading to much into it, perhaps, or did the film make you think as much as it did me?

Very droll spoony... The condo building that I live in with lots of other apartments in it... haha

A condo? does that mean it's a duplex or something? And you live up in the skies don't you? that'd be cool.

And Nils, I'm going to watch I Saw the Devil, tonight.

Films.

A condo? does that mean it's a duplex or something? And you live up in the skies don't you? that'd be cool.

Films.

As far as I know most people refer to a condo as a unit that is not a "stand alone" house that is owned as opposed to an apartment that is generally rented.... In fairness I’m not really comfortable with the term “condo” it still sounds pretentious to me though I’ve gotten a bit more used to it over the years as its fairly commonly used... and yes I live a bit up in the sky but not too far....13th floor

Just saw Rear Window.

Grace Kelly.. phoar.. 10/10.

As for the film. I liked it a lot. I don't want to give any rating on it but I'd recommend anyone to watch it.
Favourite film of all time. Grace Kelly is stunning.

Films.

Nice. Will be interesting to hear your views. For me it walked on a really thin line between being just good, very good and awesome.

Favourite film of all time. Grace Kelly is stunning.

I'd like her more if it wasn't for the way she talks. Is that some sort of accent or something?

Saw two other films today.

Never Let Me Go - Boring, uninspiring, far-fetched, boring, boring. Did I mention boring?
3/10

Groundhog Day (never seen it before) - Yes! Slow start I thought but the last hour is fantastic. Lovely, lovely film. 8/10 (maybe a 9)

I saw a few recently. Black Swan was pretty good.
Once Vincent Cassel goes over the Swan lake story in the beginning it seemed a tad obvious that Natalie Portman's character was going to go through that in her life. I'm not sure how I felt about the mom's character. Was she there just to add to the craziness?

Tron - I thought it'd look cool in 3d but after watching it I've decided to jsut give up on 3d altogether. My eyes always hurt and I keep taking the glasses off for every non 3d scene. 3d can just go away now please.

A Prophet - you all went on about this for so long I was expecting something truly special. I blame Spoony for ruining this one for me.

Fighter - Bale good, Wahlberg same as every other movie bar Departed. I think the mom should walk away for the Best Supporting Actress for her role.

I rented Winter's Bone but was too drunk and fell asleep after the first 15 mins. Will have to get this one again.

Upcoming movies -
That Adjustment Bureau movie looks really rubbish. I imagine it'll be like the Matrix.
The world is controlled by these men in suits/machines. matt damon/keanu reeves wants to change that. In the end the men in suits/machines end up needing him and offer to fullfil his wish in return.

Cowboys and Aliens - the trailer doesnt look promisng but I'll end up watching this.

I'll have to wait for it to come on Netflix. The last Bollywood movie I saw in the theater was Rajneeti and I still havent recovered from that crap fest.

The Kings Speech

This film mainly raises the question: "Why do you want to tell a story that's been told a million times before?" You've got your protagonist, he's got an external conflict which is based on an internal one. He gets help, the help is unconventional, he manages to figure out his internal conflict which slowly helps the external, montage, his big test. Have we seen this film before? Yes we have, so I'm going to start by giving mister Hooper the benefit of the doubt and look what his original twist to an old story is.

What about the lead?

Mr. Darcy knows his stuff, and he's played an uptight Englishman about to loosen up before, so he performs well. His character got depth, I know that character and can say quite a bit about him. His external problems are based upon the pressure from everyone else around him and his forefathers for him to succeed as a worthy king for the commonwealth. This film focuses mainly on Mr. Darcy and his actions without we've been told explicitly that this is a huge deal and the pressure is on you. I've said this film has been done before, and it has, mainly as sports films (e.g. Rocky). In Rocky you've been told explicitly several times that this is the huge match and the external pressure is overtold and pushed in your face as much as possible. What we're presented in The Kings Speech is silent old people, feeling or being ashamed for the coming King. And that's pretty neat, I wouldn't call it subtle, but it's alright for a twist. This way gives Mr. Darcy much more depth than your normal storytelling 101-lead.

And that's where the originality stop. Several of the characters interaction with eachother is borderline cheesy and unnecessary for the story, and especially his "speech-coach"s lines borders on the brink of banality. And the montage, why the feck did they need to have a montage? Can't everyone just fecking sit down and figure out that there are other ways to portray time and progress without using that dead old over-used way of telling? De Palma pushed it to the limit, the damned Hooper has become one of many skipping over it. "It's a cliché because it works", of course it is, but if I try to insinuate sex to my girlfriend for the n'th time by removing my clothes whilst we're watching television, I'm sure she's throwing my unoriginal ass out as well.

That said, the story doesn't fail, because it doesn't fully try. It uses an unorthodox way to tell about the lead but safes everywhere else. There are actually some nice-looking pictures and original camera-work... but a few glimpses of beauty aren't enough to make me not get my head around a film-maker with nothing to tell. I've been told this story before and it's been told better. It lacks soul, it lacks defining originality, it lacks a heart. It's a classic feel-good with a good lead and some good ideas within the bigger bad idea.

2/5

Just saw Rear Window.

Grace Kelly.. phoar.. 10/10.

As for the film. I liked it a lot. I don't want to give any rating on it but I'd recommend anyone to watch it.

Speaking of Hitchcock films,

Dial M for Murder 10/10

My personal favorite. Ray Milland is in top form, Grace Kelly is as beautiful as she ever was and the movie is a masterpiece from beginning to end. You watch it and realize how much modern filmmakers copied from Hitchcock and yet no one managed to reach the same heights as the master of suspense himself.

The Kings Speech

This film mainly raises the question: "Why do you want to tell a story that's been told a million times before?" You've got your protagonist, he's got an external conflict which is based on an internal one. He gets help, the help is unconventional, he manages to figure out his internal conflict which slowly helps the external, montage, his big test. Have we seen this film before? Yes we have, so I'm going to start by giving mister Hooper the benefit of the doubt and look what his original twist to an old story is.

What about the lead?

Mr. Darcy knows his stuff, and he's played an uptight Englishman about to loosen up before, so he performs well. His character got depth, I know that character and can say quite a bit about him. His external problems are based upon the pressure from everyone else around him and his forefathers for him to succeed as a worthy king for the commonwealth. This film focuses mainly on Mr. Darcy and his actions without we've been told explicitly that this is a huge deal and the pressure is on you. I've said this film has been done before, and it has, mainly as sports films (e.g. Rocky). In Rocky you've been told explicitly several times that this is the huge match and the external pressure is overtold and pushed in your face as much as possible. What we're presented in The Kings Speech is silent old people, feeling or being ashamed for the coming King. And that's pretty neat, I wouldn't call it subtle, but it's alright for a twist. This way gives Mr. Darcy much more depth than your normal storytelling 101-lead.

And that's where the originality stop. Several of the characters interaction with eachother is borderline cheesy and unnecessary for the story, and especially his "speech-coach"s lines borders on the brink of banality. And the montage, why the feck did they need to have a montage? Can't everyone just fecking sit down and figure out that there are other ways to portray time and progress without using that dead old over-used way of telling? De Palma pushed it to the limit, the damned Hooper has become one of many skipping over it. "It's a cliché because it works", of course it is, but if I try to insinuate sex to my girlfriend for the n'th time by removing my clothes whilst we're watching television, I'm sure she's throwing my unoriginal ass out as well.

That said, the story doesn't fail, because it doesn't fully try. It uses an unorthodox way to tell about the lead but safes everywhere else. There are actually some nice-looking pictures and original camera-work... but a few glimpses of beauty aren't enough to make me not get my head around a film-maker with nothing to tell. I've been told this story before and it's been told better. It lacks soul, it lacks defining originality, it lacks a heart. It's a classic feel-good with a good lead and some good ideas within the bigger bad idea.

2/5

How do you insinuate sex anyway? Lots of double entendres?

Black Swan - 7/10.

Weird. Very weird. Lots of cringe moments, and by that I mean squeamish moments - there's was more blood in it than I expected. Fast moving though, and not at all boring. I didn't get a lot of it but you think it through afterwards and realise a lot of stuff was her hallucinating and then it all makes (some) sort of sense.

For all those thinking it's just going to be some dumb movie about ballet - think again. OK, they're ballet dancers, but this is a real thriller, and about mental illness and a complete mental breakdown.

Plus, those who are thinking they'll get dragged into this by their girlfriends when they don't want to go - Natalie Portman touches herself in it a lot and gets licked out at one bit by an equally hot girl. Just saying like.

On a rather heavy hangover day, I decided to watch the Godfather trilogy again, back to back. Other than re-deciding that the first is indeed the better film, which I had previously decided was II, the other realisation I came to is how badly the third stacks up compared to the others, especially if you watch them back to back. Obviously everyone knows this, but I mean really badly. Not just a bit worse...It comes very close to ruining the character of Michael Corleone.

I'd advise anyone thinking of watching it to not watch it straight after the others, or at any time remotely near them, or preferably, at any time...cos it'll only annoy you.

10 things that are wrong with the Godfather part III

1. Al Pacino isn't playing Michael Corleone - Part of the problem in returning to the story 15 + years on is that in the intervening years Al Pacino has achieved the uniquely impressive feat of turning into a completely different person. The fresh faced, handsome, quietly intense, high pitched softly spoken Pacino of the Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon is all but a half remembered thought in a hazy drunken dream, replaced by the sunken eyed, erratic haired, hunched over, gravelly voiced, quirky shouty loon of the Devils Advocate and everything since. He even seems to be a different ethnicity now too somehow. Added to this is the unshakable fact that he's not playing the right character in this film. Michael as we left him in Part II is pure evil. Calculated, almost callously unemotive and beyong reproach. Even before his transformation there's a clear level of seriousness and intensity there. Here he's all wry jokes and sly winks and playful expressions with a bit of Tony Montana thrown in here and there when he gets a bit upset. It's basically Pacino playing someone else he might have played in another film once. Or himself. But not Michael Corleone. It's hard to care for the plight of your main character when he's not playing the same character.

2. Talia Shire isn't playing Connie Corleone - Connie from the first two films, and the book, is a demure, timid, fairly shy put upon battered wife and eventual damaged drunk and then eventual stay at home sister. She was never remotely interested in the "family business" other than hating it and was never allowed near it anyway. Here however, she's in full on drag-queen pantomime witch mode, straight out of bad episode of Desperte Housewives meets the Witches of Eastwick, serving as a sort of defacto underboss and both ordering and carrying out hits. Its bat shit OTT character metamorphosis. It's almost as if Talia Coppola (for 'tis her name) told her brother she'd "love to be in the new one again, but wouldn't it be cool if I was like, you know, a gangster too, or something? And I could look evil and wear black and squint a lot".. Did anyone involved in this film actually watch the first two?

3. Sofia Coppola is playing a character in this film. - There isn't one single reason why the Godfather III fails spectacularly in holding a candle to it's earlier instalments, but if you could pin down one as the most obvious example to demonstrate your point to someone, it'd be this. Her acting is atrocious in this film. And I don't just mean atrocious, I mean atrocious, though I'm aware you're unable to hear the emphasis I gave that when I though it. She's 'The Room' atrocious. She's out acted by Andy Garcia's chest hair. She out woods the chair Pacino dies on. She's fecking atrocious in this film.

4. The stuff that actually happens - Is all very stupid. There are about 5 plots in this film and none of them are very captivating. Some of them just stop after 20 or so minutes and are never addressed again. Some of them start about half way through. Bridget Fonda was in it at one point, and then wasn't. It didn't make much difference The fact that Garcia starts the film as a rent a thug bastard cousin no one has seen in ages or really gives a shit about and who has to gate crash a party just to get near the family, but ends it by being made Don and heir and given control of everything in what seems like a couple of months sums up how retarded it is basically. They wanted to make a 4th out of his reign as Godfather. Shame we missed out on that masterpiece ey?

5. George Hamilton is in this film, and he's called BJ - Seriously man, this is The Godfather, what are you doing? "Yeah Duvall won't do it, who shall we get?....George Hamilton? Yeah that sounds about right. Lets call him BJ Harrison."..Have a word with yourself Francis.

6. Incest - One thing I didn't think was obviously missing from the first two, was Incest. Some one clearly disagreed though, so here we have a bizarre incest subplot about how first cousins Sofa Coppola and Andy Chestwig are madly in love, though if you were going solely on Coppola's acting, you could be confused into thinking she was just mildly impressed with the furniture. Everyone keeps referring to this as "dangerous" in a sinister but unexplained way, but doesn't treat it with any importance, probably because it's just as tediously boring a romance for them as it is everyone else watching.

7. Someone orders a Helicopter to assassinate a room. - Obviously someone saw Die Hard before writing this and decided it needed a really cool action scene with a Helicopter. Like Godfather movies usually do.

8. Why is Diane Keaton even in it? - She starts the film hating Michael and having spent years with no inclination to see him - which makes sense considering the events of II. However for some reason she spends all of this film hanging around him doing nothing in pretty much every other scene. She does this ostensibly "for the kids" excpet that they're never actually there, and she just hangs around not doing anything and occasionally saying stuff of no interest. It's as if they thought it'd be really good to get Keaton back in it, but couldn't be arsed to write her a decent part. So they just have her hanging around. There are a lot of parts like that in this film.

9. It's got a voiceover - Voicovers are usually the preserve of filmakers who can't think of a decent way to tell the story visually. The first two didn't have one, because they were great films. This one starts with one. It's downhill from there on in.

10. Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune. - You know that bit in one of the shitter James Bond films where a street musician (or something) starts playing the Bond theme and Roger Moore says something like "catchy tune" and everyone in the audience shouts "feck off" at the screen in unison? Well they've only gone and put that in this film. For an inexplicable reason about half way through Tony says "Hey dad, I've got a surprise for you, it's an old Sicilian song" and proceeds to sing the Godfather theme tune to his dad, and a table of equally bored looking old men, over dinner, for a full three minutes, whilst flashbacks show Al pinning for a time when Francis Ford Coppola knew how to make great films.

Sadly, I could probably write at least 10 more....For shame Francis, for shame.

Oh yeah, 5.5/10, mostly for the music. I & II are 9.9 and 9.8.

I watched The Social Network the night before last and was pretty impressed. I'm not sure I'd want to watch it multiple times, but it was definitely worth the watch. 8/10.

On a rather heavy hangover day, I decided to watch the Godfather trilogy again, back to back. Other than re-deciding that the first is indeed the better film, which I had previously decided was II, the other realisation I came to is how badly the third stacks up compared to the others, especially if you watch them back to back. Obviously everyone knows this, but I mean really badly. Not just a bit worse...It comes very close to ruining the character of Michael Corleone.

I'd advise anyone thinking of watching it to not watch it straight after the others, or at any time remotely near them, or preferably, at any time...cos it'll only annoy you.

1. Al Pacino isn't playing Michael Corleone - Part of the problem in returning to the story 15 + years on is that in the intervening years Al Pacino has achieved the uniquely impressive feat of turning into a completely different person. The fresh faced, handsome, quietly intense, high pitched softly spoken Pacino of the Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon is all but a half remembered thought in a hazy drunken dream, replaced by the sunken eyed, erratic haired, hunched over, gravelly voiced, quirky shouty loon of the Devils Advocate and everything since. He even seems to be a different ethnicity now too somehow. Added to this is the unshakable fact that he's not playing the right character in this film. Michael as we left him in Part II is pure evil. Calculated, almost callously unemotive and beyong reproach. Even before his transformation there's a clear level of seriousness and intensity there. Here he's all wry jokes and sly winks and playful expressions with a bit of Tony Montana thrown in here and there when he gets a bit upset. It's basically Pacino playing someone else he might have played in another film once. Or himself. But not Michael Corleone. It's hard to care for the plight of your main character when he's not playing the same character.

2. Talia Shire isn't playing Connie Corleone - Connie from the first two films, and the book, is a demure, timid, fairly shy put upon battered wife and eventual damaged drunk and then eventual stay at home sister. She was never remotely interested in the "family business" other than hating it and was never allowed near it anyway. Here however, she's in full on drag-queen pantomime witch mode, straight out of bad episode of Desperte Housewives meets the Witches of Eastwick, serving as a sort of defacto underboss and both ordering and carrying out hits. Its bat shit OTT character metamorphosis. It's almost as if Talia Coppola (for 'tis her name) told her brother she'd "love to be in the new one again, but wouldn't it be cool if I was like, you know, a gangster too, or something? And I could look evil and wear black and squint a lot".. Did anyone involved in this film actually watch the first two?

3. Sofia Coppola is playing a character in this film. - There isn't one single reason why the Godfather III fails spectacularly in holding a candle to it's earlier instalments, but if you could pin down one as the most obvious example to demonstrate your point to someone, it'd be this. Her acting is atrocious in this film. And I don't just mean atrocious, I mean atrocious, though I'm aware you're unable to hear the emphasis I gave that when I though it. She's 'The Room' atrocious. She's out acted by Andy Garcia's chest hair. She out woods the chair Pacino dies on. She's fecking atrocious in this film.

4. The stuff that actually happens - Is all very stupid. There are about 5 plots in this film and none of them are very captivating. Some of them just stop after 20 or so minutes and are never addressed again. Some of them start about half way through. Bridget Fonda was in it at one point, and then wasn't. It didn't make much difference The fact that Garcia starts the film as a rent a thug bastard cousin no one has seen in ages or really gives a shit about and who has to gate crash a party just to get near the family, but ends it by being made Don and heir and given control of everything in what seems like a couple of months sums up how retarded it is basically. They wanted to make a 4th out of his reign as Godfather. Shame we missed out on that masterpiece ey?

5. George Hamilton is in this film, and he's called BJ - Seriously man, this is The Godfather, what are you doing? "Yeah Duvall won't do it, who shall we get?....George Hamilton? Yeah that sounds about right. Lets call him BJ Harrison."..Have a word with yourself Francis.

6. Incest - One thing I didn't think was obviously missing from the first two, was Incest. Some one clearly disagreed though, so here we have a bizarre incest subplot about how first cousins Sofa Coppola and Andy Chestwig are madly in love, though if you were going solely on Coppola's acting, you could be confused into thinking she was just mildly impressed with the furniture. Everyone keeps referring to this as "dangerous" in a sinister but unexplained way, but doesn't treat it with any importance, probably because it's just as tediously boring a romance for them as it is everyone else watching.

7. Someone orders a Helicopter to assassinate a room. - Obviously someone saw Die Hard before writing this and decided it needed a really cool action scene with a Helicopter. Like Godfather movies usually do.

8. Why is Diane Keaton even in it? - She starts the film hating Michael and having spent years with no inclination to see him - which makes sense considering the events of II. However for some reason she spends all of this film hanging around him doing nothing in pretty much every other scene. She does this ostensibly "for the kids" excpet that they're never actually there, and she just hangs around not doing anything and occasionally saying stuff of no interest. It's as if they thought it'd be really good to get Keaton back in it, but couldn't be arsed to write her a decent part. So they just have her hanging around. There are a lot of parts like that in this film.

9. It's got a voiceover - Voicovers are usually the preserve of filmakers who can't think of a decent way to tell the story visually. The first two didn't have one, because they were great films. This one starts with one. It's downhill from there on in.

10. Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune. - You know that bit in one of the shitter James Bond films where a street musician (or something) starts playing the Bond theme and Roger Moore says something like "catchy tune" and everyone in the audience shouts "feck off" at the screen in unison? Well they've only gone and put that in this film. For an inexplicable reason about half way through Tony says "Hey dad, I've got a surprise for you, it's an old Sicilian song" and proceeds to sing the Godfather theme tune to his dad, and a table of equally bored looking old men, over dinner, for a full three minutes, whilst flashbacks show Al pinning for a time when Francis Ford Coppola knew how to make great films.

Good read, although 5.5 is being too generous. I think the only point of Part III is to steal the thunder of any hack wanting to do a Godfather spoof.

I find I to be better than II myself, but often find myself in the minority, there isnt much in it as you posted

Recently watched:

Fair Game (on Bootleg DVD) - Great performance by Penn and Watson, but seems lacking the final punch, probably because it's based on true stories and doesn't leave much room for anything else (7/10)

It's Him (on Bootleg DVD - dnt blame me, they don't import Korean Movies here) - Great Bourne like action movies minus the stupid shaky cam, very stylish but dark and disturbing at the same time. Top notch Korean action movie (which is rare) 8/10

The Fighter (on Cinema) - Abit nostalgic reminds me of the first time I saw Rocky, Rocky edges it though for sheer rags to riches fairy tale, but Bale, Leo are standout performers 8/10

Green Street Hooligans (on Bootleg - They'll never import this full of cnut movies in here) - A shadow of its prequel, not that its prequel is good by its own. It's brutal, and torn between football and prison brutality 4/10

Locked Down (Bootleg) - Vinnie Jones and Bai Ling's frontal nudity is the only salvaging point, wouldn't watch this b-grade shits if it's in the cinema though 4/10

Valid points, but one thing i might add is that I and II is a class of their own, and anything next to them will be reduced to wrecking wreck. 10 points is good enough for a movie, trust me you can find more on every movies if you watch it over and over.

IMO they're trying to milk out the best of what they have left from the I and II, it's not even supposed to be made, with aging Pacino, Garcia not gravitas enough to take the mantle, corporations when we're talking about Italian Mob?

All and all a disappointing ending of a trilogy.

220px-Crowszero.jpg

Oh... for the nth time... I recommend this two back to back japanese action flick, trust me, you'll buy into this as this is not the standard weird Japanese taste

Crows Zero and Crows Zero II (Both by Takashi Miike)

Basically they're badass cool japanese teen who box it out one against another, and never have i seen a better fight coreograph, even Bruce Lee can't come up with this shit.

10/10 (I know it's relative, but on entertainment, action, and drama it's the best a japanese movie can get out of me)

Basically it's about a yakuza boss' son entering a high school on a mission (or a test) to pacify the whole school under him, but this is not your ordinary manga crazed high school, this is Suzuran where your grades are how good you fare on a fight, I won't spoil too much, but i'd stake my neck you'd find this worthy to watch, at least for the songs and final battle

After the thread about the best Trilogy drcided to watch Star Wars again , all of them from 1-6.

Well 1-3 was just has crap as I remmebered and only really served to tell the story , which was full of plot holes and crap writing ,crap acting.
They really are not very good films , apart from the last 30 mins oF ep 3 and the turning of Anakin to Darth Vader.

Where as 3-6 excellent films and worth a watch again, even if I have done many times , even the Ewokes in Return of the Jedi did not spoil the enjoyment.

1-3 are only worth 4/10 at best , last 30 mins of EP3 7/10
3-6 are worth 7/10.

Would of liked to see Lucas do another film ,set after ep 6 to see how they rebuilt the Republic , maybe one for the future.

Valid points, but one thing i might add is that I and II is a class of their own, and anything next to them will be reduced to wrecking wreck.

Well that's the thing, the realisation. That's what you think when you haven't watched them for a while. "It's not really that bad, it's just not as good as the others." Nah, it's actually a bad film. Not just a bad Godfather film. That just makes it all the more criminal.

I find I to be better than II myself, but often find myself in the minority, there isnt much in it as you posted

There isn't much in it, but I feel there's a lot more significance to the happenings of I. The titular Godfather is Michael not Vito, and I feel pretty much all the important shit that turns him into who he is all happen in I. Fredo is the nadir, but Solozzo and the 5 Families are the making and the Michael that ends I is pretty much the Michael that ends II, give or take a layer of inhibition and a cravat. Pretty much all the character development takes place in I.

Even the Vito backstory in II doesn't do as much for the character. He's portrayed as pretty much the same bloke throughout, seemingly born a mute, and becoming a fully formed, honourable Don like figure by about 25. It's all about Michael, and Michael is all about I.

To be honest though, they're better scene as one entity, ending with the flashback.

Ok watched The Chaser based on the comments in here and man alive you guys are spot on, fantastic film a high 8 out of 10. Korean and Japanese cinema really have me hooked so recommend me some more along the same lines as these that I have watched in the past 3 months or so, I've still only started to scratch the surface and been mainly watching Kang-ho Song stuff:

Memories of a Murder
Secret Reunion
Antarctic Journal
JSA
Taegukgi
Oldboy
Ichi the Killer

I'm gonna hit up I Saw The Devil and I have The Man from Nowhere lined up, what else?

Mother is a decent Korean movie. Saw it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.

Watched a few lately.

Happythankyoumoreplease No not the name of that Icelandic volcano that caused all the trouble but the directorial debut of Josh Radnor, ted from How I met your mother. It starts off really well as Sam (Radnor) meets a young boy on the subway seperated from his family and the two begin a bond where you know the adult will learn more than the child. What actually happens though is you have an hour of pretentious people with pretentious problems in pretentious situations. Really disappointing film after a decent start and not even Buster from Arrested Development could save it.

Waiting for Superman the documentary on the US educational system is a brilliant watch. It really is a horrific system that puts pressure on the children and is open to too much sabotage by the teachers.

Easy A. My mate wanted to watch this instead of the super bowl and although I'd have rather watched the game the film was better than I expected and I find Emma Stone to be a bit of a hottie. It loses a bit of steam when it tries to have a 'message' but it has some very funny moments particularly form the brilliant Stanley Tucci.

It's kind of a funny story Good little film about a 16 year old boy who thinks he's depressed and ends up getting himself commited to an adult mental hospital where he realises that maybe things weren't as bad as he really thought. Pretty straightforward fare but a nice film that shows Zach Galifinakas has more potential than the not very good Hangover, Emma Roberts is cute as a button as the love interest too.

Punching the clown can't remember if I already wrote on this one but it is a funny film about a comedy folk singer who decides to and through shear luck does, make it in LA and how the city then chews him up and spits him out.

Hafid An Icelandic film that revolves around an ageing father who brings all his family together and when they do all their deep dark secrets begin to come out. Similar to the superior Festen in many ways but with a few more surreally funny moments it is well worth watching if you can get hold of it.

I'm a big fan of Ryan Gosling, he's very good in Half Nelson and is brilliant in Lars and the Real Girl.

I just watched Buried. It's pretty good, as good as the premise could be

Watched LATRG and thought it was absolute brilliance and another great performance. Quirky, heartwarming, funny and feel good, has all the hallmarks of what I like in a film.

The Rock

utter shite. nic cage and sean connery should be totally embarrassed at having read that script and agreed to lend their services to it.

2/10

Ok watched The Chaser based on the comments in here and man alive you guys are spot on, fantastic film a high 8 out of 10. Korean and Japanese cinema really have me hooked so recommend me some more along the same lines as these that I have watched in the past 3 months or so, I've still only started to scratch the surface and been mainly watching Kang-ho Song stuff:

Memories of a Murder
Secret Reunion
Antarctic Journal
JSA
Taegukgi
Oldboy
Ichi the Killer

I'm gonna hit up I Saw The Devil and I have The Man from Nowhere lined up, what else?

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - My second favourite of the trilogy. Really good.
A Bittersweet Life - Good, stylish gangster film.
The Host - More than your average monster film.
Attack The Gas Station! - A bit silly but just the absurdeness of the premise makes it worth a watch.
Save the Green Planet! - Bonkers.
The Good, The Bad, The Weird - I noticed that you included a few films with Song Kang-ho in it, he's on top form in this one, the film...reasonably entertaining.

Oh, and A Tale of Two Sisters.

Apocalypto 8/10.

I know Mel Gibson is an anticemitic, racist, wife beating christian bigot, but he is a very talented filmmaker. Cinematography is top notch and actors, most of whom are virtualy unknowns, are superb. I'd imagine watching this on bluray on a large screen with surround sound would be epic.