Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dhobi Ghat - 4/10

Rubbish movie. The trailers looked promising and given Aamir Khan was involved, I had a good feeling about this one. In the end it didn't really have much of a story. I like it's style of story-telling but it didn't have much to, er, tell. A woman who loves hanging out with the guy who cleans her clothes. Lovely.

Did you watch the full Hindi version, Amol?

I saw the English/Hindi version and it was brilliant. Very highly recommended for resident Hollywood watchers. It has a very Alejandro González Iñárritu kind of feel to it.

Anyone seen Blue Valentine yet? I thought it was quite brilliant, it isn't often that I actually care what happens to the characters in a film rather than just the progression of the story but I was in this this. Ryan Gosling puts in a very good performance too.

Anyone seen Blue Valentine yet? I thought it was quite brilliant, it isn't often that I actually care what happens to the characters in a film rather than just the progression of the story but I was in this this. Ryan Gosling puts in a very good performance too.

I'm a big fan of Ryan Gosling, he's very good in Half Nelson and is brilliant in Lars and the Real Girl.

I just watched Buried. It's pretty good, as good as the premise could be

I'm a big fan of Ryan Gosling, he's very good in Half Nelson and is brilliant in Lars and the Real Girl.

I just watched Buried. It's pretty good, as good as the premise could be

Yeah I was impressed considering the only other thing I've ever seen with him in was Young Hercules. I've been meaning to watch lars and the real girl for ages, in fact I'm sure I have it on my pc somewhere and I'll grab half nelson on your recommendation.

Red. Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Brian Cox, Karl Urban and Mary Louis Parker (weeds, she was not in Big). A retired secret sevice group for the plot ina film with all the charm of Oceans 12. 3/10

Right, I've completed Carnivale.

I thought the first season was quality, I enjoyed the slower pacing. I thought the second season felt a bit too rushed...and less said about the open ended finale the better. Could be argued that a lot of interesting ideas weren't quite honed in...which may have been as a direct result of the show getting cancelled (early on in the second season) - would also explain the quicker paced second series. As for the plot/storyline/arcs, maybe I'm just getting too old for this supernatural stuff, I think I would've loved Carnivale a lot more a decade or so ago.... but at least the story kept within the original premise and not go mental like Lost... I say this despite being too rational for all that stuff. Anyway, I can't think of a better looking series...but it came at a price, I guess.

It's a shame it didn't run for a couple of more seasons....would've been much better if it was allowed to run its course as it was intended to.

And Sofie can feck off(not just her but the whole concept). I hate all that stuff about people being predisposed to being a certain way or folk being inherently good or evil. But yeah, it's well worth a watch regardless.

Yeah, I've seen the penultimate episode... I'll finish it off tonight. Did they rush the last few episodes?

Yeah, I think they did. The creator had originally written a story for about 5 seasons I think.

I watched a few interviews with Orson Welles on youtube yesterday, thinking he's such a fascinating man I decided to watch The Lady from Shanghai. Strange film...strange dialogue, strange accent, strange editing...sometimes it looked really half arsed made only to suddenly have a few good moments. The fact that Welles didn't have full creative control or something like that might have played a factor. In Touch of Evil you could see his sinister style flourish more.

Yeah I was impressed considering the only other thing I've ever seen with him in was Young Hercules. I've been meaning to watch lars and the real girl for ages, in fact I'm sure I have it on my pc somewhere and I'll grab half nelson on your recommendation.

Half Nelson is good, he is definitely the best thing about it though. Lars and the Real Girl is just a brilliant film, highly recommended.

Yeah, I think they did. The creator had originally written a story for about 5 seasons I think.

I watched a few interviews with Orson Welles on youtube yesterday, thinking he's such a fascinating man I decided to watch The Lady from Shanghai. Strange film...strange dialogue, strange accent, strange editing...sometimes it looked really half arsed made only to suddenly have a few good moments. The fact that Welles didn't have full creative control or something like that might have played a factor. In Touch of Evil you could see his sinister style flourish more.

Not seen it. Isn't WKW remaking it or something? as for OW, I thought The Trial was brilliant till the last quarter of an hour.

The Hole
A very silly Horror ,well it said it was a horror.
2 boys find a Hole sealed up with padlocks , they open the Hole and scary stuff happens , only it doesn't , it is rubbish.
The only good thing about it was it passed 90 mins of a boring night shift.
4/10

The King's Speech Superb. Despite sometimes betraying its origins from a radio play script this is a superb film. The main performances are flawless and it is also quite a bit of fun. Expect Oscars galore. 9/10

Watched a couple of Australian films recently. Now I'm not really an expert on Australian films, but surely if you have don't have the budget and special effects available to you that Hollywood do, you would put a lot more emphasis on your characters and script? So why were both these films made up of generic characters following a paint-by-numbers script?

Anyway;

Red Hill- I can't help but feel this film would have worked a lot better if the bad guy didn't look about as menacing as a Labradoodle. Anyway, it was watchable but by no means great - 5/10

Tomorrow When the War Began- This is actually half decent. It's basically Red Dawn, but set in a sleepy town in Australia- a town with seemingly zero strategic importance to any invading army. Though there was some mention of a harbour or a port or something so maybe that's it. Anyway, teenagers go on camping trip, return to find town occupied by enemy army, take logical step of becoming Guerrillas, even though there is only like 7 of them or something. This film would have been a lot better if it started where it ended, because not much happens in the first 45 minutes and the first 10 minutes were a bit of a chore. Still fairly decent though, hopefully the second one, which I am lead to believe is being made, will have more action and less cheesy teenage dialogue. 6/10

127 hours:

don't think it qualifies for best picture oscar, it was a good film no doubt, with certain scenes of absolute brilliance. But it tapers off in certain parts of the film.

James Franco on the other hand was magnificent, the film would not have worked at all without such an electric performance, really impressed me. It's good because I've always rated Franco as an actor and I am happy the geezer has shown such a powerhouse performance to cement his reputation.

The same normal criticisms with Danny Boyles direction, sometimes it just doesn't cut it for me, as much as he's rated I just think it seems amateurish at times. Not a bad director by any means, a great one in fact but seems to lack a little class in terms of his direction.

The Collector
A very good saw style horror , there was plenty of blood and gore.
Story line was a bit weak but it was OK.
Petty crock wants to do over the safe of his employer to help his wife pay off a loan shark , but when he gets there the family have been kidnapped by The Collector and he has set many traps round the house.
Reminded me of an 80's horror not much plot but lots of blood and gore.
7/10

Despicable Me- Ok so it's not on the level of Pixar animated films of the last few years, but it's still very good. Definitely watch it if you like your animated childish comedies (and who doesn't?) My only complaint with the film is I though Stevent Segal would be voicing one of the characters, turns out I read it wrong and it was Jason Segel. I honestly spent the first hour of the film wondering when I would be introduced to Steven Segal's character. Disappointing.

An ungenerous 7/10.

I enjoyed it too, SmashedHomo. The main character reminded me of Dimitaaaaaar for some reason.

Heh he does have a look of Berbatov about him.

Have you seen Megamind? Just finished watching it. Very similar, in that it's another animated film about a super villain, except where Despicable Me was Steve Carrell, Megamind is Will Ferrell. Pretty weird, not really sure what the story is behind that. But yeah- Megamind is pretty good too. Both solid 7's, though I think I probably preferred Despicable Me

Watched a couple of Australian films recently. Now I'm not really an expert on Australian films, but surely if you have don't have the budget and special effects available to you that Hollywood do, you would put a lot more emphasis on your characters and script? So why were both these films made up of generic characters following a paint-by-numbers script?

:lol:

I'd leap to the defence of Australian film if Australian film wasn't universally recognised as being shit.

The bit in bold is bang on.

Tomorrow When the War Began- This is actually half decent. It's basically Red Dawn, but set in a sleepy town in Australia- a town with seemingly zero strategic importance to any invading army. Though there was some mention of a harbour or a port or something so maybe that's it. Anyway, teenagers go on camping trip, return to find town occupied by enemy army, take logical step of becoming Guerrillas, even though there is only like 7 of them or something. This film would have been a lot better if it started where it ended, because not much happens in the first 45 minutes and the first 10 minutes were a bit of a chore. Still fairly decent though, hopefully the second one, which I am lead to believe is being made, will have more action and less cheesy teenage dialogue. 6/10

The film is based on a series of seven books written by a bloke called John Marsden. Probably the greatest teenage fiction I've ever read. I read each of the books half a dozen times when I was a kid. Never got around to seeing the film though.

Play It Again, Sam

Did Woody Allen make a single shit film during the 70s? To be fair, this one doesn't hold a candle to Annie Hall or Manhattan but there's plenty to keep you entertained. Diane Keaton was always great in these films as well.

7/10

Play It Again, Sam

Did Woody Allen make a single shit film during the 70s? To be fair, this one doesn't hold a candle to Annie Hall or Manhattan but there's plenty to keep you entertained. Diane Keaton was always great in these films as well.

7/10

On the subject of Woody Allen, "Crimes and Misdemeanors” IMO is one of the most perfect films ever made along with “North by North West”.....Hitchcock obviously, watched both of these movies 20+ times each

Grown Ups

Total shite. Salma Hayek's hotness is the only redeeming feature.

Play It Again, Sam

7/10

One of my favourite films: "I'll have my lawyer call your lawyer" "I don't have a lawyer, can you have him call my doctor"?

The King's Speech was decent. Like someone said in another thread, the fact that you knew it was going to sweep loads of awards before anyone had even seen it was a bit of a turn off but I decided to watch it anyway, and yeah it was good. Very well-acted.

The King's Speech was decent. Like someone said in another thread, the fact that you knew it was going to sweep loads of awards before anyone had even seen it was a bit of a turn off but I decided to watch it anyway, and yeah it was good. Very well-acted.
It was well-made and well-acted (apart from the risible Timothy Spall as Churchill) but it's a 6/7 rather than a 9. I didn't think the central relationship was really convincing.

Yeah, that portrayal felt a bit exaggerated. Overall, I'd probably give the film a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Also the first part of the movie is bit slow moving. The last 30 minutes ago the pace picks up, a nice crescendo finish to the movie. I would give it an 8, given cinematography, costumes, and the acting of Flirth.

I like Helen Boham Carter, but did not see how her performance was anything special.

Geoffrey Rush was his typical self. Solid performance, but nothing extraordinary.

"I Was 19". Amazed that I'd never heard of this movie. B&W made in 1968 About a German born kid whose family movied to Russia when he was young, and returns to Germany with the Red Army at the end of the war. A series of vignettes strung together.

I thought it was excellent. Ich war neunzehn (1968) - IMDb