Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

:lol:

I've been to to Bruges, but about 9 years ago, I thought it was pretty nice

I've been to Bruges too, and it was a very nice, peaceful place from a tourist's perspective. If someone lives there for a prolonged period and says it's a shithole, then fair enough.

Not seen it yet, but it got a horribly low rating on Rotten Tomatoes.... very disappointing!

Its one of those movies that divide normal folk and critics, IMDB has it at 8.

Saw it in 2D and I enjoyed it overall. Would give it a 7.

Positives: It looks incredibly sexy. Daft Punk. Lead actor doesn't ruin the movie like I thought he might. Olivia Wilde.

Negative: Pacing issues. Can get very dull and uninteresting for long periods before coming back to life. Its basically a very simple story told in a very long winded way.

Shadow of the Vampire - I only watched this because I liked the original Nosferatu and the Herzog remake. And it really struck me as being so devoid of...well, anything. Not funny, not particularly involving, no atmosphere...just nada. It really only was the fact that Max Schreck was actually a real vampire (fantastically acted by Dafoe though it has to be said). I'd be suprised if anyone who hasn't seen and liked the original would be able to sit through this.

Z - Neatly put together political thriller.

Machete - Just plain awful.

Restrepo doc about US forces in the Korangal Valley in Afghanistan. Interesting and at times alarming. We have been exposed to a lot of this embedded journalism over recent years and I didn't find it as revelatory as some reviews suggested. It's a National Geographic product and as such doesn't feel like a standalone film with it's own voice or direction. Still it's worth a watch.

Where the Wild Things Are

I can't decide if this was really good or a load of shite. Not the most helpful review. Need to watch it again to decide, but I doubt I will.

The Kingdom

Better than I expected. Had it on the shelf for months and watched it on a whim Saturday evening. Enjoyed it.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1965 )

very dated now, but still a good movie, if only for Steve McQueen
8/10

The Thomas Crown Affair ( 1999 )

Entirely different plotline but still the premise of bored playboy who steals, and then is pursued by a very attractive Insurance Inspector.
8/10 but Pierce Brosnan is no Steve McQueen!

The Thomas Crown Affair (1965 )

very dated now, but still a good movie, if only for Steve McQueen
8/10

The Thomas Crown Affair ( 1999 )

Entirely different plotline but still the premise of bored playboy who steals, and then is pursued by a very attractive Insurance Inspector.
8/10 but Pierce Brosnan is no Steve McQueen!

I've not seen the original, but I loved the Brosnan/Russo version. It was directed by John Mctiernan who was also responsible for Predator and Die Hard.

I've not seen the original, but I loved the Brosnan/Russo version. It was directed by John Mctiernan who was also responsible for Predator and Die Hard.
I liked it far more than I thought I would, tbh - Rene Russo is excellent in it ,I think. She plays the part played by Faye Dunaway ( who plays Crown's psychiatrist )
I think the only black mark for me was Pierce Brosnan - and that's not his fault and it's not a black mark as such , I just always love Steve McQueen

I liked it far more than I thought I would, tbh - Rene Russo is excellent in it ,I think. She plays the part played by Faye Dunaway ( who plays Crown's psychiatrist )
I think the only black mark for me was Pierce Brosnan - and that's not his fault and it's not a black mark as such , I just always love Steve McQueen

I must admit I wasn't a fan of Brosnan, but this film made me like him.

I thought I was the only person who'd ever seen it, great movie, fantastic to look at. I disagree about the length though, the opening 30 minutes are very slow but I think that's necessary to set the scene and counterpoint the tempo of the rest of the film.

yeah, the first 30 min are needed to set the story, but then afterward I thought there were sections where the camera was fumbling a bit and overextending scenes for example the ride in the truck to the restaurant. It showed every angle in the road, each curve, etc. Good movie thou.

The Black Swan

Dark, thrilling, exhilarating and terrifying with a very solid performance by Nathalie Portman.

9/10

Question. When Nina saw herself everywhere, were those signs of insanity through delusion or was it imagery indicating that she was seeing herself through the eyes of others?

Question. When Nina saw herself everywhere, were those signs of insanity through delusion or was it imagery indicating that she was seeing herself through the eyes of others?

I thought she was insane/delusional because of all the stress that was heaped on her

Would definitely think it was her descent into madness

Yeah, that's what I originally thought but an interview with Natalie Portman had me thinking otherwise.

Great film by the way. Riveting, powerful, and ultimately extremely poetic. Loved the whole idea of making the storyline of the film parallel the Swan Lake storyline.

9/10.

Saw 'Winter's Bone'.

Quite a brilliant film. It demands a little effort to watch because of the accents and the harshness of the landscape and the story in general, but it's well worth it. Jennifer Lawrence in the lead is amazing, she's definitely going to atleast get an oscar nomination for this.

Yeah, that's what I originally thought but an interview with Natalie Portman had me thinking otherwise.

Great film by the way. Riveting, powerful, and ultimately extremely poetic. Loved the whole idea of making the storyline of the film parallel the Swan Lake storyline.

9/10.

I know a lot of dancers, I know how their lives are... for me it was one of the best non-foreign movies of the years.... very well made, would not be surprised if natalie gets an oscar she was very good in this, her best film by far

Days of Heaven - Stunning looking film, beautiful cinematography. The story is a bit thin and all but I think it might have been because it was all told from the little girl's point of view.

Ichi the Killer - I had only seen bits and parts of this film before and finally decided to watch the whole thing outright. I enjoyed it, was brilliant. The blonde guy was great.

Ichi the Killer - I had only seen bits and parts of this film before and finally decided to watch the whole thing outright. I enjoyed it, was brilliant. The blonde guy was great.

Jah!

Anyway, I saw The Trial by Orson Welles. I thought it was fantastic and very faithful to Kafka's novel till the last 30mins. Is it me, or did the last half an hour seem rushed?? Shame really, because at one point I thought it was probably the best book to film adaptation I've seen.
Suffice to say last scenes disappointed - the Tortelli and the Cathedral scenes were much better in the book. And the girls were far more annoying than I imagined.
But overall it was a good film....one that should've concluded a lot more faithfully to the book.

I know a lot of dancers, I know how their lives are... for me it was one of the best non-foreign movies of the years.... very well made, would not be surprised if natalie gets an oscar she was very good in this, her best film by far

Yeah, Natalie was incredible.

I've actually been doing some thinking. Judging from her role as Nina in Black Swan alone, she has to be one of Hollywood's most talented and capable actresses yet she seems to struggle with role selection. To me, she has only been in two good films and they are the Black Swan and Garden State. The rest range from average to abysmal. And it perplexes me that even after her career high performance in this role, she chose to sign up for a romantic comedy that is identical to another one starring Mila Kunis. I reckon she should start making more selective decisions with regard to which roles she should play...similar to what Leonardo DiCaprio did which imo contributes to why he is now widely seen as one of Hollywood's best actors nowadays.

Yeah, Natalie was incredible.

I've actually been doing some thinking. Judging from her role as Nina in Black Swan alone, she has to be one of Hollywood's most talented and capable actresses yet she seems to struggle with role selection. To me, she has only been in two good films and they are the Black Swan and Garden State. The rest range from average to abysmal. And it perplexes me that even after her career high performance in this role, she chose to sign up for a romantic comedy that is identical to another one starring Mila Kunis. I reckon she should start making more selective decisions with regard to which roles she should play...similar to what Leonardo DiCaprio did which imo contributes to why he is now widely seen as one of Hollywood's best actors nowadays.

I've always wanted her to be good as I have a thing for her, but yeah she's been a bit too one dimensional unfortunately, I truly thought Black Swan would be her turning point - then I just saw a trailer for her in a romantic comedy with Ashton fecking Kutcher of all people... he couldn't be lower in the pecking order in my opinion, from one of the hottest movies of the year and her best critical acclaim to Ashton Kutcher... wtf... yeah her decision making seems off for sure!........ which is a real shame as she seems like she is not the usual "attention whoring, lowest common denominator Hollywood type" that is the norm these days, she actually seems to have a little bit of depth about her.

Black Swan was very good. I'm not sure yet if I thought it was better than just good though. The story was a bit obvious but that didn't bother me. I could see some similarities with other works, notably Perfect Blue which Aronofsky owns the rights to but refused to cite as an influence.

7.5/10

Black Swan was very good. I'm not sure yet if I thought it was better than just good though. The story was a bit obvious but that didn't bother me. I could see some similarities with other works, notably Perfect Blue which Aronofsky owns the rights to but refused to cite as an influence.

7.5/10

Which one?

7.5/10

Sounds like Nolan and Paprika.

So far today I've watched:

Inception - Loved it, was a bit of a head feck but still great 10/10

Unthinkable - Was alright I suppose, kept me interested 6/10

The Other Guys - I actually thought it was quite funny in parts. Mark Wahlberg was funnier than Will Ferrell. The bit about the tuna and the lion :lol: 6/10

Just about to start Animal Kingdom . Haven't heard anything about it but it's got 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Was Inception a headfeck? I mean I guess the storyline was pretty mental, but I thought they did a very good job of making it easy to follow all the way through to be honest

Was Inception a headfeck? I mean I guess the storyline was pretty mental, but I thought they did a very good job of making it easy to follow all the way through to be honest

It was waking up at 3am with a hangover and sticking it on! It was at the start, I didn't have a clue what any of it meant but that was mainly because I didn't actually know what the film was supposed to be about. Also when he was being chased in Africa and he got stuck in between the walls, was that part a dream? That sorta shit happens in dreams.

I'm one hour into Scott Pilgrim vs the World and I'm not sure if I can bear it any longer. It's the first time I've seen a movie with that Cera bloke in it and I already hate his middle aged womens face and his voice.
Had the same experience. Didn't even finish the movie because it irritated me too much.

I saw Machete in the cinema yesterday and loved it. Over the top, bloody and hilarious. 8,5/10

Just watched Inception as well on my pc and I wish I had seen it in the cinema. One of the best Hollywood movies I've seen in a long time. 9,5/10

No. Clearly not as cerebral as it purported to be. But I think that's because it was essentially a glossed up popcorn flick that intended to cash in at the box office - making it less appealing to the masses would've had an adverse affect. Wasn't bad....but I can't force myself to watch it again.

It's not like it's a rip-off, but surely it can't be that hard to just give a nod to Kon, especially when you're a known admirer who even bought the rights to the film. He did acknowledge some of Polanski's films as an influence.

Those screeners aren't of the best quality, Nils. I've downloaded a couple...and their picture quality's basically a kin to old VHS copies.