Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Well man... I'd probably rank North by Northwest or To Catch a Thief as my favourite... both have a perfect blend of adventure, romance and comedy. To Catch a Thief may just edge it because of Grace Kelly and how beautiful some of the shots on the French riviera are.

Vertigo, Rear Window and Rope all come really close - In that order to I reckon... but I am a massive Jimmy Stewart fan.

Thought Stewart was brilliant in Vertigo. As for Grace Kelly, have you seen Dial M for Murder? It's probably my favourite Hitchcock, closely followed by 39 Steps. I've finished downloading To Catch a Thief, so it's either that or Shadow of a Doubt tonight.

Thought Stewart was brilliant in Vertigo. As for Grace Kelly, have you seen Dial M for Murder? It's probably my favourite Hitchcock, closely followed by 39 Steps. I've finished downloading To Catch a Thief, so it's either that or Shadow of a Doubt tonight.

Oh yeah man Dial M for Murder was brilliant... I love the style of it... completely dialogue driven suspense/tension. I did enjoy 39 steps but was a bit underwhelmed by it..

Let me know what you think of To Catch a Thief man. I think Grant and Kelly are one of my favourite pairings in cinema... pure elegant beauty vs charismatic suaveness.

To Catch a Thief is better.

And of course, Hitchcock's best is Rear Window.

Oh yeah man Dial M for Murder was brilliant... I love the style of it... completely dialogue driven suspense/tension. I did enjoy 39 steps but was a bit underwhelmed by it..

Let me know what you think of To Catch a Thief man. I think Grant and Kelly are one of my favourite pairings in cinema... pure elegant beauty vs charismatic suaveness.

I liked it. . .was a good film. . .but I don't think it's in his upper tier of movies. And was Hitchcock a misogynist or sommat?

To Catch a Thief is better.

Better than Shadow of a Doubt?

Shadow of a Doubt is much darker. I think depending on one's mood one might find it better than To Catch a Thief. I preferred To Catch a Thief.

The Aviator - 1/10

I thought it might be nearing the end and checked to see how much time was left - I'd only just watched 30 minutes of it, with 2 hours 20 minutes more to go.

I might as well skip it if it doesn't pick up in the next 10 minutes, CBF with shit.

Bronson - 7.8/10

Just saw this, don't know much about the actual bloke so not sure how well the director does in portraying reality. Regardless of this, the chap who plays Bronson is a powerhouse, great actor. Decent film with some really memorable moments. I'd recommend.

Bronson - 7.8/10

Just saw this, don't know much about the actual bloke so not sure how well the director does in portraying reality. Regardless of this, the chap who plays Bronson is a powerhouse, great actor. Decent film with some really memorable moments. I'd recommend.

It's not quite a 7.9... but a damn sight better than a 7.7.

Not a movie... but I just finished Band of Brothers and it's an almost flawless miniseries!

Red Cliff (part 1 & 2)

I started watching them a few months ago but the subs stopped working about 1 hour into the second one and it took a while before I could find the effort to acquire another version. So yeah, they won't go down as classics but was two decent and very watchable epics...especially the second. Good fighting scenes with some great scenery.

A Scene at the Sea

Very much a typical Kitano movie. The deadpan style, great music, a main character who rarely talks, though in this one the lead character is deaf. A very simple but yet beautiul movie. I'm finding it very hard to rate movies these days but I'd give it a solid 7/10.

The Aviator - 1/10

I thought it might be nearing the end and checked to see how much time was left - I'd only just watched 30 minutes of it, with 2 hours 20 minutes more to go.

I might as well skip it if it doesn't pick up in the next 10 minutes, CBF with shit.
I've just finished this. The first hour was dire. Absolutely abysmal. I can't believe that that tart won an Oscar for this level of shite acting. Or maybe Hepburn was an annoying chav IRL herself.

The second hour was good, and the final hour was very good.

All in all, it was O.K.

The Aviator - 6/10

Predators

First off, when watching films with such big shoes to fill it's important to try and focus on the merits of the new film rather than comparing it to the original.

If you want to hate this film then you probably could, there were moments I hated purely because the very script of Predator is emblazoned unto the lining of my heart and anything similar to what they had already done and it would have to have been amazing.

Personally, I really enjoyed most of it. There were several moments that I didn't like, as I mentioned. There were two moments that were rubbish and borderline ruined the end of the film BUT there were very many moments where I was sitting there thinking that my eyes were wanking my brain off.

Overall it's biggest plus point is also it's biggest downfall. It looks very much like the original, it references the original a LOT and it only over steps the mark when it tries to show it's undying love for the original. So you can't help but compare it, even though I've told you all not to.

Yes.

6.5/10 Solid, enjoyable action flick.

I've just finished this. The first hour was dire. Absolutely abysmal. I can't believe that that tart won an Oscar for this level of shite acting. Or maybe Hepburn was an annoying chav IRL herself.

The second hour was good, and the final hour was very good.

All in all, it was O.K.

The Aviator - 6/10

I thought I was the only one who can not abide Blanchett. I don't know what it is about her - a combination of her face and her unwillingness to be in a film unless she can attempt another regional accent - but I have a real intollerance of her.

Predators

First off, when watching films with such big shoes to fill it's important to try and focus on the merits of the new film rather than comparing it to the original.

If you want to hate this film then you probably could, there were moments I hated purely because the very script of Predator is emblazoned unto the lining of my heart and anything similar to what they had already done and it would have to have been amazing.

Personally, I really enjoyed most of it. There were several moments that I didn't like, as I mentioned. There were two moments that were rubbish and borderline ruined the end of the film BUT there were very many moments where I was sitting there thinking that my eyes were wanking my brain off.

Overall it's biggest plus point is also it's biggest downfall. It looks very much like the original, it references the original a LOT and it only over steps the mark when it tries to show it's undying love for the original. So you can't help but compare it, even though I've told you all not to.

Yes.

I'll probably see this but that doesn't surprise me.

The Commitments

Enjoyable film, if a tiny bit dull. There's no arc, or conflict, or any of the other things they teach people in film school. It just seems to be the story of a band that goes from one success to another with absolutely no major hitches, while managing to break the world record for saying 'fook'.

On the plus side, I liked the gritty urban visuals and the working class Dublin dialogue is great fun. Also the music isn't bad, even if the song choices are a bit obvious and safe.

Worth the two hours I spent watching it. I suspect the book must be hilarious.

Splice 3/10

Horrible uninteresting movie dull annoying characters, cheesy ending slept through most of it

Predators

Yes.

Agreed, but i thought it was a complete drag nonetheless, every character was Black special OPs etc, and then the tough chick, it seems like such a tired formula. And another thing, stick to one predator, when there is about 40 it takes away from how bad ass they are.

Cemetary Junction 8/10

Iron Man 2 7/10

The Collecter 7/10

Shutter Island 8.5/10

Predators 4/10

Death at a Funeral 7.5/10

McGruber 8/10

Hot tub time machine 7/10

Kick Ass 8.5/10

Extract 6/10

The Blind Side 8/10

Cop Out 4.5/10

Brooklyn's Finest 6.5/10

Agreed, but i thought it was a complete drag nonetheless, every character was Black special OPs etc, and then the tough chick, it seems like such a tired formula. And another thing, stick to one predator, when there is about 40 it takes away from how bad ass they are.

There were 4 Predators.

Plus you gave Hot Tub Time Machine 3 marks more than Predators. Your critique is subsequently dismissed.

Just got back from seeing Predators. A solid 6/10 from me, rising to an 8/10 if you've got some mates round on a Saturday night with a bag of weed and twenty-four pack of beer.

The biggest disappointment in the whole film is when the camera panned round to the female character at the start and - despite a moment of euphoria - I realised she wasn't Michelle Rodriguez.

I thought Catch Me If You Can was excellent, it was a very smart and well put together movie, I also loved that it was a true story.

Hangover was goodish but I wouldn't say it was particularly funny, the jokes seemed tired, crass. . .and were by no means offensive in anyway (if that was the intention), that said, I quite liked the 'piece together' storyline (or whatever it's called) if anything it reminded me of an episode of Red Dwarf, but infinitely unfunnier. The characters were probably the weakest point of the movie. . .the worst Alan Garner played by some z list actor who didn't pull off what could've and should've been the best character in the film. Mike Tyson stole the show though with his tiger. . .and together with Heather Graham's nipple make the film a worthwhile watch. But yeah, a decent watch but ultimately forgettable comedy that wasn't really as funny as people made out.

There were 4 Predators.

Plus you gave Hot Tub Time Machine 3 marks more than Predators. Your critique is subsequently dismissed.

But i watched it 10 times, on the whole i mean, once you see one predator die, they lose the aura of being uber badass, you are supposed to be wondering where the predator is, but in this the odds were that there was one beside you. I should have given Hot tub 4 marks more than that mindless piece of shit. It was tediously predictable in what you were going to see after the first 5 mins. And that doctor character, are you kidding me?? And the blood looked different, and Larry fishbones was wasted too. It was just silly, could have been written by Raoul Moat.

Green Zone - 6/10

From the trailers, I thought this looked like another Bourne movie in everything but title, but it's nothing like that. It's actually a political thriller of sorts that keeps changing pace, to the point where you become disconcerted slightly by what's going on.

First I'd say that I quite like Matt Damon. He's a good, solid actor who's generally watchable in most things he does, without ever being spectacular. Again, he's good in this without making waves. Brendan Gleeson has a preposterous American accent, and Greg Kinnear has none of the menace his character ought to have given his storyline.

But it's not a bad movie, by any stretch, albeit one with enormously heavy-handed anti-war propaganda (or at least anti-being-sold-a-lie-about-WMDs). Worth a watch if you're not up to much else, but I wouldn't consider it something you have to watch.

Toy Story 3 The story is great, the characters as good as ever and a decent plot to wrap the trilogy up. That said I was a little underwhelmed for no apparent reason. Perhaps the superb reviews built my expectation too high. And the 3d was pointless. 8/10

Watched Despicable Me with my 5 year old niece. She gives it a 100/10 while I give it a 7. Cute film, with one too many "aww" moments and not enough laugh-out-loud ones. Steve Carrell's accent was class and his minions were effing funny.