Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Ashes And Snow

Visually great movie that consits of footage of interactions between animals and humans. It had some really beautiful shots in it...and lots of elephants. Anyone who likes movies like Baraka should like this.

I've bought Hero and Ashes of Time redux on blu ray. And yeah I'm pleased. Ashes of Time in particular's meant to be a good transfer.

They've been bolded in recent editions though...what's it called?..where they have a hint of a background to them making them easier to see...

Just wanted to pop in and help out by saying I used to know the industry technical term for basically the opposite of this but have since forgotten it. I know you all love me.

Embossed and engraved I think they are aren't they?....or is that something else. That just came to me out of nowhere!

Just watching Die Another Day, didnt realize C4 came in packages with it's name on it

Edge OF Darkness A remake of the classic UK 80s TV mini series. Moved to the US and given a make-over by the ghost of Charles Bronson this is a pale shadow of the original. Appallingly bad casting of Ray Winston in the role played brilliantly by Joe Don Baker in the original didn't help either. I wish that I hadn't bothered. 2/10

2012 ( blu ray )

despite strange casting in danny glover as the us president, and woody harrelson as a babbling doom monger ( morgan freeman and bill murray respectively would both have been better choices ), i actually quite enjoyed this film.
while blu ray doesn't do an excellent as always john cusack any favours, it did highlight the superb special effects.

7/10

Crank 2 = w*nk poo.

I enjoyed the first one but this was absolutely awful. "Where the f*ck's my strawberry tart?"

The only good bit was seeing Amy Smart in those pink hot pants.

Talk of the Town 8/10 - Just like in Only Angels have Wings and You can't take it with you, Jean Arthur completely outshines her male counterpart. And that's not easy when the males are Cary Grant and James Stewart. A comedy drama about a man (Cary Grant) wrongly accused of commiting a crime and trying to get help from a law professor to save himself. Jean Arthur is the best part of the movie. Funny, beautiful and very cool. She did some really good stuff in the late 30s and early 40s.

I'm really annoyed that my Netflix queue keeps getting longer.

And I bought my first big TV and now people keep tellling me to get a PS3 so I can hook up Netflix with that. What are they talking about?

Hero was fantastic - but compared to Flying Daggers it felt cold. . .and clinical yet a better film overall. Both films are visually spectacular (even an idiot can spot that) but Flying Daggers was more enjoyable, which was perhaps down to the storyline and more well rounded characters. But yeah I'd recommend them both.

Yup. Definitely Heo was better. The storyline was more taut and moves at a brisker pace than Fying Daggers. The plot was better too.

Just watched Steve Austin's DAMAGE. The standard set up wherein an ex-con participates in illegal fight matches to win money for the treatment of the daughter of the person he killed in the begining. Nothing much...just good enough to pass time on a dull saturday.

I'm really annoyed that my Netflix queue keeps getting longer.

And I bought my first big TV and now people keep tellling me to get a PS3 so I can hook up Netflix with that. What are they talking about?

Netflix lets you stream movies straight to your computer and other devices. PS3 happens to be one of them, although Xbox360 and Wii are also supported as well so you don't specifically need a PS3 for this purpose.

I don't use it myself because I can't afford Netflix, but if I could, and I had a good enough connection, I'd certainly do it. I'm sure you'd burn through your queue if you didn't have to wait for discs to arrive.

Netflix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do use the instant watch option on my comp. Didn't know I could do it on other devices.

And not all movies are available for instant watching. Right now I have around 60 in my queue that I can only watch on disc and about 40 that I can watch via streaming.

I do use the instant watch option on my comp. Didn't know I could do it on other devices.

And not all movies are available for instant watching. Right now I have around 60 in my queue that I can only watch on disc and about 40 that I can watch via streaming.
That's not even close to a long queue. I have 372 in my normal queue and 101 in my instant queue.

Iron Man 2

Good action scenes as expected but storyline a little incoherent and contrived. It has its moments of decent action, but overall the plot could use a bit of polishing and could be better overall. 6.5/10

For those who do go see it, remember to stay for the end of the credits as there's a little scene at the end just like with the first Iron Man.

That's not even close to a long queue. I have 372 in my normal queue and 101 in my instant queue.

After I worked through the IMDB Top 250 I moved on to all IMDB movies over 7.5 with 5000+ votes... not the best idea to use IMDB at the sole reference of films but it usually get's it right...

Got about 690 left on that list... Gonna take a couple of years I expect!

:eek:

I really resist adding new movies to my queue. I almost always ignore the Netflix recommendations even though I'm sure they are all good movies.
Very few of those are new movies. I can easily add 15 or so movies of a certain genre if I really get into it. I added a lot of Shaw Brothers movies in a matter of minutes.
After I worked through the IMDB Top 250 I moved on to all IMDB movies over 7.5 with 5000+ votes... not the best idea to use IMDB at the sole reference of films but it usually get's it right...

Got about 690 left on that list... Gonna take a couple of years I expect!
I joined Netflix in 2004. There are some movies I added then, that I still haven't received. I just keep adding movies to it.

Indie Jones and the Kingdom of crystal skulls wasn't half bad, actually. Saw it a few days back...convoluted, yes, a little kiddish, yes, but some fantastic sequences. Could've been a class movie with some tweaks IMO.

Very few of those are new movies. I can easily add 15 or so movies of a certain genre if I really get into it. I added a lot of Shaw Brothers movies in a matter of minutes.

I joined Netflix in 2004. There are some movies I added then, that I still haven't received. I just keep adding movies to it.

By new I meant any. I want to bring the current queue down to 20 or so before adding anymore but I keep coming across movies that I simply must add. Last week I added 3-4 by Bresson.

Indie Jones and the Kingdom of crystal skulls wasn't half bad, actually. Saw it a few days back...convoluted, yes, a little kiddish, yes, but some fantastic sequences. Could've been a class movie with some tweaks IMO.

:lol:

It's quite overrated, somewhat enjoyable though. Personally thought that Basterds deserve the Oscar win.

Jacob's Ladder-7.5/10

Certainly a bit of a psychological thriller, there is no doubt about that. Loved the way the story played out and though that it was really smart, and expertly done by the director and script writer. I thought Danny Aiello' character was brilliant. Tim Robbins was class as per usual.

Two complaints though and they are substantial, which is why the movie wasnt rated more highly despite me thinking it was excellent. They are both with two of the major characters. Jezzie, she is one of the major characters of the movie, possibly even the second most important after Jacob, in the end I just felt like they didn't resolve her character at all, it was like I had missed a scene or something; and the thing was her character was very provocative and she did a good job with it, I just found it weird has she just kinda drifted away. Second the chemist, how does he even exist, how does he give Jacob the knowledge about the Ladder and such, in actuality that would be impossible for them to have ever met or well for Jacob to ever figure it out, although you could kind of tell something was up at the beginning even he could. I think that was down to him eating nothing, because they do make a point of showing the guy who ate the stuff going crazy.

Anyone seen Polanski's new film "The Ghost" yet ?

Looks very good from the trailers I've seen, Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan are meant to brilliant in it

Hero or Flying Daggers, Ole?
Tough one. They're both visually stunning, though Hero gets the nod. Though the last fight between Lau and Kaneshiro is really good. The use of color is brilliant. Storyline, you have Hero's Rashomon style storytelling. Daggers has the more traditional storytelling style. Hero has Jet Li, Daggers has Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro. Overall, a slight edge to Hero, but I still really enjoy Daggers.

Iron Man 2 No, it isn't as good as Iron Man, but I was going in with lowered expectations and came out pretty happy. The action is good, Robert Downey Junior is good, Scarlett Johansson is a total fox, not bad at all. The Whiplash character was kind of weak, Rourke wasn't bad but the character's motivations were kind of flimsy and the last fight with him wasn't too impressive.

Overall I'm thinking 7.5/10

I ran into Ray Liotta a couple of days back. Was in the same bar. He looked very old.

Tell him I said hi. I played Stalk of Corn #4 in Field of Dreams. You can sort of almost see the back part of my head in the "No Ray, it was you," scene.

On a more serious note, I used to think I'd seen a lot of movies. Some of you are insane in terms of throughput.