Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Clash of the Titans. Meh. As action movies go, there's not a lot of action in this one. Also, it feels like it's over before it gets started. The movie's called Clash of the Titans, and it never feels like an epic. It should be huge, over the top. At 106 minutes it feels rushed, and with only 3 real action scenes, there's just not a lot to offer. Gemma Arterton is good to look at though.

I saw District 9 a few weeks ago. I didn't really have any expectations, I'd heard some rave reviews but a few of my mates gave it a more 'meh' response so I didn't know what to expect. I don't know what to say. It kind of blew me away in parts. The main character (can't remember the name of the actor or character) was just so... real. I felt the despair, the fear, it was all so real despite being so surreal. I don't care what you experts say, for me this was one of the best films I've seen in years: 9/10

How to train a dragon: In 3D IMAX for pure childlike entertainment 8/10. As a movie? I don't know, but this was all about the fun and entertainment. Refreshing.

Yeah, it's a very good movie and hilarious in some moment, when the aliens have to signs the eviction order :lol::lol:

District9_piccola.jpg

Clash of the Titans. Meh. As action movies go, there's not a lot of action in this one. Also, it feels like it's over before it gets started. The movie's called Clash of the Titans, and it never feels like an epic. It should be huge, over the top. At 106 minutes it feels rushed, and with only 3 real action scenes, there's just not a lot to offer. Gemma Arterton is good to look at though.

:lol: They ride scorpions! My friend wanted to go see it...he owes me 2 movies now after taking me to From Paris with Love. Clash of the Titans was not nearly as awesome as the original. Well, it was just boring...and similar to watching Avatar. Everything is CGI. 3/10

I just watched Oldboy. It's a very interesting movie, but I'm not sure what to make of it. The acting and story were pretty damn good, but I'll have to sleep on it. It's a good movie, but I'm not sure if I like it. If that makes sense.

Bringing up Baby - Twice Netflix sent me a DVD that didnt work for this movie. Third time they get it right and send me one that works and it turned out to be rather disappointing. Probably my least favorite Cary Grant movie. Considering I've enjoyed every movie I've seen of his so far and how amazing Grant and Katherine Hepburn were in The Philadelphia Story I thought this would be a really good one. Quite the opposite. Maybe I just wasnt in the mood but I didnt enjoy this movie from the first few minutes on and even fast forwarded through the last half hour. 6/10

I just watched Oldboy. It's a very interesting movie, but I'm not sure what to make of it. The acting and story were pretty damn good, but I'll have to sleep on it. It's a good movie, but I'm not sure if I like it. If that makes sense.

The ending of Oldboy claims another victim.

Watched My Lovely Bones last night. 7/10 Some bits really got to me.

The ending of Oldboy claims another victim.

That guy's recent movies are all the same - and I think in less than twenty years, they're going to get exposed as nothing more than a chance surrogate or placebo that sated the needs of over-saturated film connoisseurs in the absence of true profundity. All his films rely on simple 'room-to-room' exploration of extremes for 4/5ths of the movie before tacking on an ending that will scare people (critics included) into "I'm terrified of admitting I don't quite get it/think it works" mode, thus ensuring a disproportionate amount of rave reviews.

I had to endure a film called 'the heavy' last night. I went to see Clash of the Titans in 2d but there was only the 3d showing and I had no money to buy the glasses.

Then we had to evaluate our options which were to be honest limited, there was a sign on the wall saying 'Garry Stretch star of the heavy will be introducing the film' he's a St helens lad and I though it'd be somethng different to see the main actor stand in front of the screening and introduce his film.

So we went in, 4 of us there were and just as the film was about to begin there were ......4 of us sat at the screening. Unsurprisingly Garry 'no show' Stretch decided against the embarrassment of introducing his new movie to 4 lads in a cinema and just did one leaving us to sit through the movie.

To say it was a long hour and half would be an understatement. The film is slow, you get no connection with any of teh characters and there are plot holes galore. definitely not one i'd suggest anybody went to see, actually that's a lie - if you want a cheap laugh at the expense of Vinnie Jones then his beard is quite amusing.

3/10

That guy's recent movies are all the same - and I think in less than twenty years, they're going to get exposed as nothing more than a chance surrogate or placebo that sated the needs of over-saturated film connoisseurs in the absence of true profundity. All his films rely on simple 'room-to-room' exploration of extremes for 4/5ths of the movie before tacking on an ending that will scare people (critics included) into "I'm terrified of admitting I don't quite get it/think it works" mode, thus ensuring a disproportionate amount of rave reviews.

And Ichi the killer is the superior film, to be fair. Oldboy. . .good but too convoluted for it's own good. Some times less is more folks.

Old boys ending wasn't confusing though. Just plain wrong.

I thought Sympathy was the best film, Oldboy had a deranged inventiveness that carried even the most absurd story elements. Lady Vengeance was the film I had serious problems with though, it seemed to revel in it's own vacuity.

I saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and absolutely loved it. It's very funny and has a real 'cartoon' sensibility. It has more in common with Looney Tunes (particularly Robert Clampett and Tex Avery) than the likes of Pixar/Dreamworks. Probably the best cg animation I've seen since Finding Nemo (not yet seen Up). 8/10

Blind Side:

Incredible film. Made me feel like a big girl's blouse though. 9/10

Green Street Hooligans

Elijah Wood plays the expelled American Student who visits his Sister in England and becomes embroiled in the violent subculture of football hooliganism. Thought it was a very good effort all round - but the leader of the main firms accent sounded awful. Not sure where that came from... 7/10

Blind Side:

Incredible film. Made me feel like a big girl's blouse though. 9/10

Despite what I said earlier, I gave this film a try.

Just as cheesy and bad as I expected 4/10.

The City of Life

Just seen this in the cinemas over here. The movie was made here in Dubai, and follows the lives of 3 very different people living in the city, a young rich Emirati man, an Indian taxi driver who hopes to become an actor and an air hostess from Bucharest. The movie climaxes when their 3 lives collide. It's the first movie of it's kind really over here and i thought it was absolutely fantastic. I don't think it's going to be aired abroad but have a look online and see if you can get your hands on it because it was truly very good.

Green Street Hooligans

Elijah Wood plays the expelled American Student who visits his Sister in England and becomes embroiled in the violent subculture of football hooliganism. Thought it was a very good effort all round - but the leader of the main firms accent sounded awful. Not sure where that came from... 7/10

:lol:

Was shit Mr Lou. Watch ID if you want to see a film on football hooliganism.

Out of all the ones I've seen (Football Factory, The Firm (both old and new) and Rise of the footsoldier) It's the only one I've really liked. Then again the competition isn't great.

Did think it was to overly sentimental though and far-fetched at times... Could of retained a more gritty feel.

I'll check out ID though.

The Collector 1/10. Blood everywhere. Absolute waste of time.

Funny People. 5/10. Adam Sandler was sometimes good and sometimes just Adam Sandler. Jokes about dicks and balls are tiresome.

Suspicion (1941). 8/10 Great film. Excellent acting by Cary Grant.

Out of all the ones I've seen (Football Factory, The Firm (both old and new) and Rise of the footsoldier) It's the only one I've really liked. Then again the competition isn't great.

Did think it was to overly sentimental though and far-fetched at times... Could of retained a more gritty feel.

I'll check out ID though.

The trouble with football hooliganism films is that you know what you are going to get. I didn't like Green Street because it was just so obvious what was going to happen and an actor like Frodo just doesn't work in this type of movie. Football factory was ok because it didn't just focus on the violence. I haven't seen ID but will look into it.
The best films I have seen on football hooliganism are documentaries, as they don't need a decent plot in order to capture the reality

Cemetery Junction

Not a bad effort, some decent laughs and a nice story line. Don't watch if token casual racism (an attempt to "authenticate" the 70s feel I assume) offends though. 7.5/10

seen the ending coming a mile off though

I absolutely hated The Blind Side. It was very dreary and cheesy. The fact that they used racial undertone as an emotional tearjerker was pathetic.

The Ghost
Pile of clunky rubbish which wastes a potentially interesting scenario with a former Brit PM being charged with war crimes. If it wasn't by Polanski (who on this showing is less of an auteur than Guy Ritchie) it would have been panned.

Were the subs still in white?

They've been bolded in recent editions though...what's it called?..where they have a hint of a background to them making them easier to see...that thing. Makes a huge difference.

The deleted scenes in color just prang me out....I didn't really want to know Sayid's tracksuit was garishly gold or that vince is dressed in blue...it's odd.