Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

This thread is useless without flicks.
berbatovownageagainstwe.gif

Berbaflick! :drool:

This thread is useless without flicks.
Stop fannying a boot and give us the low-down on A Serious Man. Which I thought was a slighly irritating 'adult entertainment', rather self-indulgent and full of in-jokes probably only gettable by the makers themselves.

Stop fannying a boot and give us the low-down on A Serious Man. Which I thought was a slighly irritating 'adult entertainment', rather self-indulgent and full of in-jokes probably only gettable by the makers themselves.

I thought this film was their most inside joke ever, that leaves you with a lot to chew on, if not a lot to enjoy.

I also think that for almost the first time in their careers, the Coen Bros have mixed that jabbing satire with a deeper sense of the tragic. IMO...the brothers' most personal and most Jewish film, that talked about how life is pain and funny at the same time, and how things happen randomly, with no purpose or reason that can be discerned. Basically stating that searching for answers is futile, and that one should enjoy what one can.

Le Corbeau - 9/10 This Clouzot masterpiece, made in 1943 under German occupation, is about a doctor in a small French town being accused through anonymous letters of having affairs and conducting abortions. The 90 minutes of suspense that follow would have made Hitchcock proud. And as seems to be the case with most French movies, the dialogue is much sharper and philosophical compared to American movies from the same period.

Clouzot's Wages of Fear (which has held the number one spot on my 'Wish I had made these movies' list since the day I saw it), Diabolique and Le Corbeau make him one of my favorite directors. The Truth has been added to my Netflix queue and I wish he had made more movies.

I've never seen any Clouzot films, except L'enfer which is a documentary about the making of the film (of the same name). A strangely compelling piece.

Kick Ass:

An enjoyable film which even Nick Cage couldn't manage to ruin. It features some stylish action scenes and a likeable lead character and the film moves along at a pretty good pace. It's occasionally amusing but not as funny as some reviews make out. I appreciated the Yellow Range Rover as a little nod to Layer Cake.

The Hit Girl character makes the movie!

The Collector

A better than average horror film. Something a bit different from all the others, reminds me of another film called Panic Room, but in essence is completely different. It has all the traps, killing devices and trickery of the Saw series but is better. A really good twist at the end.

7/10

The Rules of the Game - What a strange set of characters. Everyone seems to be in love with this women who can't seem to make her mind up and keeps tossing her love ball to anyone who'll catch it. 8/10

Date Night- Suprisingly good, entertaining and Carrel and Fey have great repoire. They are the geeky funny kids and it comes off very well

Into the Wild by Sean Penn.

Cant believe Ive only seen it this week. Thought the acting was brilliant, Hal Halbrook was incredible, William Hurt had a few good moments and Emile Hirsch was outstanding. Never really knew much about the real case but the story really fascinated me. 8/10.

Into the Wild by Sean Penn.

Cant believe Ive only seen it this week. Thought the acting was brilliant, Hal Halbrook was incredible, William Hurt had a few good moments and Emile Hirsch was outstanding. Never really knew much about the real case but the story really fascinated me. 8/10.

Indeed he was. Felt so sorry for him when McCandless left :(

Entre les murs (2008) Winner of Golden Palm. What a disturbing movie, haha, those kids!! Interesting movie from the perspective of a teacher who's trying his best to convey some knowledge to his class, reflecting on all the positives and negatives in educational systems but also providing an insight into the pluralistic French society. 8/10.

The Descent

Interesting film. Good Idea. Good story line. The setting offers something different from most standard horror films and the plot line ultimately delivers an entertaining film. One thing I would say is that due to the fact the film takes place in caves, it is very dark, which makes it hard sometimes to see whats going on.

overall 7/10

The Descent

Interesting film. Good Idea. Good story line. The setting offers something different from most standard horror films and the plot line ultimately delivers an entertaining film. One thing I would say is that due to the fact the film takes place in caves, it is very dark, which makes it hard sometimes to see whats going on.

overall 7/10

I like the this one ,but they did a second one and it is very very poor.

Io sono l'amore (I Am Love)

A stultifying opening 30 minutes suddenly takes off into an overheated operatic melodrama that flirts with kitsch (trapped moth in monochrome Milan bedroom contrasted with fecund insects in the technicolor countryside) and finally implodes (signing off with an uberkitsch 'resurrection'). Well worth a watch if you can manage not to walk out in the first half hour.

Watched The Royal Tenenbaums again last night, It's such a good film, fantastically well shot and laugh out loud funny in so many subtle ways. Pisses all over throwaway films like The Hangover. Have to get around to seeing Fantastic Mr.Fox soon, although as a big Anderson and Dahl fan I fear disappointment.

Watched The Royal Tenenbaums again last night, It's such a good film, fantastically well shot and laugh out loud funny in so many subtle ways. Pisses all over throwaway films like The Hangover. Have to get around to seeing Fantastic Mr.Fox soon, although as a big Anderson and Dahl fan I fear disappointment.
I liked Fantastic Mr. Fox. I found it interesting that while Anderson decided to go with a broader comedy style, he backed that up with doing it in stop motion form.

I like the this one ,but they did a second one and it is very very poor.

funny you should say that... As tonight i watched the sequel

The Descent; Part 2

Interesting idea, Sending a search party to find the survivors of the original incident who also all die in the same horrible way the first lot did. Problem is it really offers nothing different to the first one, and although alright to watch i was left feeling it wasn't needed nor necessary.

Overall 5/10

funny you should say that... As tonight i watched the sequel

The Descent; Part 2

Interesting idea, Sending a search party to find the survivors of the original incident who also all die in the same horrible way the first lot did. Problem is it really offers nothing different to the first one, and although alright to watch i was left feeling it wasn't needed nor necessary.

Overall 5/10

Just my thoughts ,why did they feel the need to make it?
I think 5/10 is very kind , I would give it 3 or maybe 4 /10

Surveillance - 7.5/10

Interesting story, good script, strange twists. Could've been slightly better had they tightened up a few key devices in the plot. Still worth the 2 hours of time.

Law Abiding Citizen

Had potential, even started off quite well. And then went a bit rubbish. Culminating in all of the good parts being erased by the terrible ending. An ok film, but if you're going to watch it- be warned, the ending will annoy you as well as leave you feeling cheated. To be honest I wouldn't bother- it's not as good as it should have been, and not as clever as it thinks it is. And did I mention the crap ending? I will give it an uber generous 6/10, as I suppose some people will like it, and I guess it had it's moments.

GI Joe.

Now I KNOW it's going to be shit, right? But Stephen Sommers continues to surprise me. He isn't a director, he's a 'CGI co-ordinator'. It's so bad it doesn't even make the 'so bad it's good' category. Plus Channing Tatum is a cross-eyed yokel.

Cemetry Junction: Enjoyed it. Story was very cliched but it was excellently shot and the dialogue was great. The whole cast were brilliant, especially impressed by the unknowns.

This has proved Merchant was the missing ingredient in Gervais' last few poor attempts.

"Prawns"

District 9
My rating: 7/10
Watchable, funny in some moment and well directed.

YouTube - District 9 - Official Trailer 2 [HD]

district9.jpg

Critics

The film has received overwhelmingly positive reviews, with Rotten Tomatoes reporting that 94% of critics gave the film a positive review, based on a sample of 240, with an average score of 9.2 out of 10. The website wrote of the consensus, "Technically brilliant and emotionally wrenching, District 9 has action, imagination, and all the elements of a thoroughly entertaining science-fiction classic."[37] At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film has received a score of 81 based on 36 reviews, indicating "Universal Acclaim".[38]

Sara Vilkomerson of The New York Observer writes, "District 9 is the most exciting science fiction movie to come along in ages; definitely the most thrilling film of the summer; and quite possibly the best film I've seen all year."[39] Christy Lemire from the Associated Press was impressed by the plot and thematic content, claiming that "District 9 has the aesthetic trappings of science fiction but it's really more of a character drama, an examination of how a man responds when he's forced to confront his identity during extraordinary circumstances."[40] Entertainment Weekly's Lisa Schwarzbaum described it as "... madly original, cheekily political, [and] altogether exciting ..."[41]

Roger Ebert praised the film for "giving us aliens to remind us not everyone who comes in a spaceship need be angelic, octopod or stainless steel," but complains that "... the third act is disappointing, involving standard shoot-out action. No attempt is made to resolve the situation, and if that's a happy ending, I've seen happier. Despite its creativity, the film remains space opera and avoids the higher realms of science-fiction."[42] New York Press critic Armond White lambasted the film for its outlandish premise and perceived racial insensitivity toward its apartheid allegories. He asserts that "Blomkamp and Jackson want it every which way: The actuality-video threat of The Blair Witch Project, unstoppable violence like ID4 plus Spielberg's otherworldly benevolence: factitiousness, killing and cosmic agape. This is how cinema gets turned into trash."[43] Josh Tyler of Cinema Blend says the film is unique in interpretation and execution, but considers it to be a knockoff of the 1988 film Alien Nation.[44]

In South Africa, the film grossed five times more than the award-winning Tsotsi, with much less exposure. The Rude Awakening team from 94.7 Highveld Stereo, a local Johannesburg radio station, led by Jeremy Mansfield and Sam Cowen, were the first South Africans to interview the director and lead actor, applauding the performance and overall story of the film. In the interview, Neill Blomkamp called it "a South African Hollywood film," and the RAW team agreed.

The Nigerian government was deeply offended by the film. Information Minister Dora Akunyili asked movie theatres around the country to either ban the film or edit out specific references to the country, because of the film's negative depiction of the Nigerian characters as criminals and cannibals. Letters of complaint were sent to the producer and distributor of the film demanding an apology. She also said the gang leader Obesandjo is almost identical in spelling and pronunciation to the surname of former president Olusegun Obasanjo.[45] The film was later banned in Nigeria; the Nigerian Film and Video Censors Board was asked to prevent cinemas from showing the film and also to confiscate it.[46]
[edit] Accolades
Main article: List of accolades received by District 9

District 9 was named one of the top 10 independent film of 2009 by the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures. The film received four Academy Awards nominations, seven British Academy Film Awards nominations, five Broadcast Film Critics Association nominations, and one Golden Globe nomination. It is the Fourth film ever nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards for TriStar Pictures Behind As Good As It Gets, Jerry Maguire and Bugsy.