Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I thought there were great performances from the 3 leads, Clooney being one of them.

Just watched this for the first time. Really really enjoyed it, it's pure no-nonsense entertainment. Very original film with some interesting characters, and even more interesting acting.

The Warriors is a fecking great movie! All time classic!

"How can there be some big meetin if the Orphans weren't invited?"

Broken embraces - Homosexuality - check. Drugs - check. Penelope cruz's boobs - check. There were so many things wrongs with what could have been a decent movie here. Why were the funny scenes at the most awkward points of the movie? why were there story arcs that lead to nothing? the long lost father bit? C'mon. 6.5/10

I'm sure its already been mentioned in the thread but...

Brick - Yes. Top film, loved the atmosphere, loved the performances. I loved the vice-principal=police chief thing and the bit where he's being chased through the school. 8/10

I'm sure its already been mentioned in the thread but...

Brick - Yes. Top film, loved the atmosphere, loved the performances. I loved the vice-principal=police chief thing and the bit where he's being chased through the school. 8/10

Loved this film. Big fan of Film Noir and liked the modernised take on the genre. Joseph Gordon-Levitt really is a top actor as well.

I watched In Bruges last week, I didn't see what all the fuss was about though Ralph Fiennes in his small role was excellent.

Only Angels have Wings - Cary grant and Jean Arthur. Not the screwball comedy you would expect after seeing the cast. Jean Arthur looks absolutely gorgeous and it's worth a watch just for that. 8/10

So it was tolerably rubbish?

Rebecca is a good movie. Not Hitchcock's best work and shockingly the only movie that got him an Oscar but certainly not rubbish. I thought Laurence Olivier didnt quite pull off Max De Winter, an excellent character in the book.

I was being lenient back then considering how the folks in here were raving about it. It was rubbish.

Up in the Air

Enjoyed this one. Simple comedy starring George Clooney, plays a man who travels America firing people for a living. Witty script and has a fair bit of insight into the lifestyle choice of being alone vs having a family.

7/10

Constantine I thought this was splendid, despite Keanu doing his routine "I'm trying my best to care two hoots" demeanor. Special effects used to complement the story rather than aesthetic value. The story was decent as well. Two thumbs up...or something to that end.

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll

Biopic about the late great Ian Dury. Not a big fan of biography nor biopics and especially not rock biopics (exception Todd Haynes' quite brilliant film about Dylan 'I'm Not There'). This one boasts an excellent performance from Andy Serkis and doesn't do a bad job except when it goes it bit 'Cabaret'. I think most newcomers would get more out of buying 'New Boots & Panties' and sticking in on and old farts will say that they didn't get the look and feel of the late 70s.

The Descent

I always had the impression that this was yet another typical horror flick cashing in on the cheap thrills market that seems to have grown over the last 5 or so years.

It's not. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is scary but there's another element to the movie that makes the horror secondary somewhat. It's the relationships between the women that went into the cave that really worked well with the situation that they found themselves in. It had some really well worked edgy scenes.

From the opening scene it moved along at a reasonably steady pace. I was left confused by the ending but having read about the sequel it is clear what actually happened.

Probably won't catch the sequel as I have suspicions it was made on a more of a financial basis than the first. That's the way it usually works with modern day horrors.

8/10

Memories of Murder 10/10

Sorry, posted this before but I just caught it on TV again. Absolutely as fecking brilliant as the first time I saw it. Beautifully lit and shot, claustrophobic when it needs to be, bloody perfect pacing. Eleventh or twelfth viewing and still the first five minutes and especially the ending (my God) are some of the best endeavours in film I can think of in the past ten years. That's all I can say without spoiling the plot.

If you like films and don't mind subtitled films, you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

All you need to know is that A. it's a true-story B. apparently Korea during this time had a curfew(?) or air raid drills C. prevailing class-conflict between modern big city folk and rural traditionalist everymen.

The Dark Knight - Much hyped. Ledger's performance was very good albeit not mindblowing. The rest of the cast are their usual self. Maggie Gyllenhaal looks sweet as ever. But the villain of the movie is Chris Nolan's obsession over non-linear screenplays. He goes overboard with it this time as there are one too many sub-plots in the beginning to keep pace with. It ruined a good complication about a hero Gotham needs/deserves which wasn't fully worked on.

The Score A good heist movie to watch on a bored afternoon with naught to do provided one takes the movie for what it is without expecting too much from the brilliant cast.

The Dark Knight - Much hyped. Ledger's performance was very good albeit not mindblowing. The rest of the cast are their usual self. Maggie Gyllenhaal looks sweet as ever. But the villain of the movie is Chris Nolan's obsession over non-linear screenplays. He goes overboard with it this time as there are one too many sub-plots in the beginning to keep pace with. It ruined a good complication about a hero Gotham needs/deserves which wasn't fully worked on.

The Score A good heist movie to watch on a bored afternoon with naught to do provided one takes the movie for what it is without expecting too much from the brilliant cast.

What's the deal? You think you're to good to give films ratings out of 10? Eh? EH?!

The Dark Knight was not non-linear. I'll agree that he could have done a better job at putting all the pieces together because I came out with a few questions after first watching it. But non-linear doesn't mean having too many sub plots.

The Limits of Control. Not quite sure what to make of this one. It seems like Jarmusch is making a French New Wave film, in that it's supposed to be one genre, but doesn't follow the general guidelines of that drama. It builds tension well enough. I'll have to read more about it to come up with my final verdict.

I thought the Dark Knight was great, I didnt like the actress who played rachel and I think the scene between Joker and Two Face should have had a bit more substance, but overall it was a fun action movie.

The Road- Based on a book by Cormack Mccarthy. I like the uthor so went to see the movie and felt it struggled with pace. It felt very slow and laboured. Aragorn was good in it though.

The Dark Knight was not non-linear. I'll agree that he could have done a better job at putting all the pieces together because I came out with a few questions after first watching it. But non-linear doesn't mean having too many sub plots.
Heheh...I was about to point out the same thing.

Chihwaseon (Painted Fire)

A Korean film starring the excellent Min-sik Choi (Old Boy), is the tale of the life of a famous Korean painter set in the 19th century.

A weird film this, you could quite easily fail to appreciate the beauty with what seems a lack of substance but ironically I think it works like a blank canvas into a piece of elegant art in it's own right.

It does well to get across both the psychological struggles of the main character (grows with the film) as well as his talent and introduces a well worked trade-off. I don't think the movie tries to be anything other than an arty spectacle, although it can be interpreted to have many other dimensions. Can be greatly appreciated by the right audience.

7.5/10

Pandorum

Started off quite atmospheric and then (ironically) descended into 'The Descent' in space. The plot got all confusing at the end too and someone rang me so I may have missed something. Err, yeah. I wouldn't watch it again. But it was ok. The bird in it was really fit. I think she might have been German.

Renoir's Grand Illusion - One of the first POW escape movies that set the standard for the likes of Stalag 17 and the Great Escape and has since been used as a master script for others. The movie follows the escape attempts of French soldiers from Germany during WWI and deals with issues of class and the futility of war. 9/10

Pandorum

Started off quite atmospheric and then (ironically) descended into 'The Descent' in space. The plot got all confusing at the end too and someone rang me so I may have missed something. Err, yeah. I wouldn't watch it again. But it was ok. The bird in it was really fit. I think she might have been German.

Watching the trailer I actually found the degree of similarity annoying. Good to know it actually does turn out that way.

I thought the Dark Knight was great, I didnt like the actress who played rachel and I think the scene between Joker and Two Face should have had a bit more substance, but overall it was a fun action movie.

To be honest DE, the Chris Nolan Batman doesn't strike me as the Batman I grew up watching (didn't read the comics, which means I'm not the right judge) where he had a detective-streak about him and was quite dark.

The Nolan one is your average superhero who eventually saves the day while living a dual identity.

Film buff

Heheh...I was about to point out the same thing.

Conformist film buff

Nolan's Batman is darker than Keaton's, Kilmer's and Clooney's. He may not be as dark as some of the comics, especially the ones with Superman where Batman usually comes off as way cooler and way darker than Superman and saves his life at some point, but the Bale Batman is definitely darker than anything seen on the screen before. I hope you weren't referring to the joke of a television series.

Renoir's Grand Illusion - One of the first POW escape movies that set the standard for the likes of Stalag 17 and the Great Escape and has since been used as a master script for others. The movie follows the escape attempts of French soldiers from Germany during WWI and deals with issues of class and the futility of war. 9/10
Fantastic movie. Have you seen Rules of the Game? Renoir directed that I think. Another great one.

Surrogates, I have seen bad movies, and I have seen real bad movies, and this is one of the latter.

Yes about a billion times better than Surrogates, watch it instead, be wise dad listen to your son

Yes about a billion times better than Surrogates, watch it instead, be wise dad listen to your son

I had both of them downloaded erm I mean rented, put on Surrogates first and ten minuted into it the wife started asking me what was going on in this film :lol:

stuck on the Informant which was pretty good (6.5 out of 10)

The Descent

I always had the impression that this was yet another typical horror flick cashing in on the cheap thrills market that seems to have grown over the last 5 or so years.

It's not. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is scary but there's another element to the movie that makes the horror secondary somewhat. It's the relationships between the women that went into the cave that really worked well with the situation that they found themselves in. It had some really well worked edgy scenes.

From the opening scene it moved along at a reasonably steady pace. I was left confused by the ending but having read about the sequel it is clear what actually happened.

Probably won't catch the sequel as I have suspicions it was made on a more of a financial basis than the first. That's the way it usually works with modern day horrors.

8/10

well not so much. the original ending she wakes up in the cave. In the US release they just show her in the truck screaming as the final shot. There wasnt supposed to be a sequel but as a fan of horror i will be renting it on dvd or blu ray when available