Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call

I sat down to watch this with the full intention of not liking it simply because I liked the original. It's really actually nothing like the original except for the fact the main character does what he likes. I actually ended up enjoying it, the random pop up of the iguana music bit was hillarious.

6/10 - not bad, worth a watch.

The Wolfman
Was expecting this to be a mess and shite but i'm surprised that its not bad, While its nothing special, it worth the viewing just to see Del Toro and Hopkins chewing up the scenery. Hugo Weaving turn is the best thing about it and Emily Blunt is head and shoulder above the rest of the cast. It has also left open for a better sequel. Oh and why the feck is gollum in the movie. WTF!
Overall its popcorn fun, leave you brain at the door.

7/10

The Wolfman
Was expecting this to be a mess and shite but i'm surprised that its not bad, While its nothing special, it worth the viewing just to see Del Toro and Hopkins chewing up the scenery. Hugo Weaving turn is the best thing about it and Emily Blunt is head and shoulder above the rest of the cast. It has also left open for a better sequel. Oh and why the feck is gollum in the movie. WTF!
Overall its popcorn fun, leave you brain at the door.

7/10

where is this already released?

Thanks for that was thinking of seeing it, not that your opinion counts that much, but well if it is that bad I think I will pass. Massively disappointed Shutter Island didn t come out this weekend, thought it did was all stoked to see it too.

Valkyrie

Typical Bryan Singer. Quite subtle in places. If they'd gone to the effort of doing the whole thing in German, with a stroger contingent of Germans in the cast, then it could have been a lot better. As it is, it builds tension fairly well, solid but not spectacular, but it really tails off at the end. I enjoyed it though.

6/10

Pandorum

Surprisingly decent sci-fi/horror movie. Panned by the critics, but definitely worth a look if you enjoyed movies like Alien, Event Horizon, etc.

Match Point - 2005 starring Scarlet Johannson & that Irish bloke with the welsh name, directed by Woody Allen :

I heard a couple of movie buffs talking about this on the radio while driving the other day, both gave it a "surprised" thumbs up.

Watched it tonight with my good lady wife and both of us were really impressed. Its another string in Woody Allens "genius bow". He does tragedy in this film almost as good as he has done comedy in his previous acclaimed work, although beneath the deep veneer there is a huge dollop of black comedy here.

I'd give this 8.5 / 10

Moon- Well disappointed on this one, not that it was poor, but I certainly was expecting much more from it.

The Box, 6/10, or 2/10, dont really know. Loved the first part of the movie, good soundtrack as well. Then it kinda went all over the place.

Män som hatar kvinnor, 8/10. Brilliant story, sometimes a bit far fetched but still very captivating, partly very disturbing, good acting. Recommended!

Brothers, 7/10. Subtle, believable, good acting by spiderman. And I love Natalie Portman. Good movie.

Match Point - 2005 starring Scarlet Johannson & that Irish bloke with the welsh name, directed by Woody Allen :

I heard a couple of movie buffs talking about this on the radio while driving the other day, both gave it a "surprised" thumbs up.

Watched it tonight with my good lady wife and both of us were really impressed. Its another string in Woody Allens "genius bow". He does tragedy in this film almost as good as he has done comedy in his previous acclaimed work, although beneath the deep veneer there is a huge dollop of black comedy here.

I'd give this 8.5 / 10

Plech is going to hate you.

Just got back from Wolfman:

Worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. Utterly, utterly terrible.

I didn't think it was that bad.

The gore was pretty sweet and it had a few good scares. Albeit very cheap, I mean surely it is movie etiquette to build up to a 'jumpy moment', not just throw one in there out of left field then follow it up with another 2 seconds later whilst you're still feckin' reeling from the first.

I'd give it a 6/10.

I think its an extraordinary film

He thinks that it is so bad that your statement will make his head explode.

While not hating it I thought it was pretty dire. The two main actors were incredibly wooden and Woody has lost it pretty much IMO.

Plech will however campaign for your immediate banning and suicide*

* possibly a slight exaggeration but he really really hates this film.

While not hating it I thought it was pretty dire. The two main actors were incredibly wooden and Woody has lost it pretty much IMO.

I thought it was an excellent story, very well paced, well acted, engrossing.

Zerkalo (The Mirror) - A movie that might be difficult to watch and be very confusing for some people. After finishing watching the beautiful closing scene it just felt like I had watched something really, really great. It consists of different images/memories of a dying man put together in dream-like quality. I think there's many ways to interpret the movie, and that's it's basically it's up to each person to decide for themselves. It's a masterpiece and definitely one of the greatests movies i've ever seen.

5/5

Zerkalo (The Mirror) - A movie that might be difficult to watch and be very confusing for some people. After finishing watching the beautiful closing scene it just felt like I had watched something really, really great. It consists of different images/memories of a dying man put together in dream-like quality. I think there's many ways to interpret the movie, and that's it's basically it's up to each person to decide for themselves. It's a masterpiece and definitely one of the greatests movies i've ever seen.

Tarkovsky was the greatest. Check out Nostalghia if you haven't already.

Has anyone reviewed Edge of Darkness yet? I was wondering if its worth a trip.

I agree with Pletch. I love Woody Allen generally, but I hate Match Point.

Hated Match Point, but I loved 'Moon'. No relation.

Wibble the Guy Pierce cameo was brilliant, I did not expect that at all.

Anyone else think the blue bird in Avatar's well fit?

:)

62365_Zoe-Saldana-UHQ-04_122_486lo_122_486lo.jpg

500 Days of Summer :

A load of old bollocks, absolute tripe, I'm 41 mins into this and couldn't give a toss what happens next, boring......:boring:

I thought it was ok, the main actor is about as charismatic as an ashtray

just as an aside, when I watch a movie I want to be entertained because thats why I'm watching it in the first place, how movies like "500 Days of Summer" get made for mainstream release is beyond me, I'd rather use my blank DVD-R as a frisbee.

Just finished watching A Serious Man. 1/10. Yes, brilliant photography, as usual, but the movie is just depressing and pointless and shit. Damn you Ethan and Joel!