Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

A mate of mine works in film and TV mainly as a editor. A few years ago a friend of his was working for SBS, a local TV station, and they were showing the 7 Samurai and all he had to do was put on each tape and then cue it in. Sadly just before he was due to put the last part on, which was just the last few minutes and the titles, he nodded off so just as the climax of the film approached everything went blank. The 15 people watching went mental but to no effect.

Nearly 3.5 hours of watching only to miss the last few minutes :lol:

Mary and Max An Aussie claymation feature for adults. The story of 2 pen pal sad cases, one Aussie and one yank. The funniest and most poignant film that I have seen in years and certainly one of the best, if not the best, Aussie film in forever. Everyone should watch this film, it is that good. 9.5/10

A mate of mine works in film and TV mainly as a editor. A few years ago a friend of his was working for SBS, a local TV station, and they were showing the 7 Samurai and all he had to do was put on each tape and then cue it in. Sadly just before he was due to put the last part on, which was just the last few minutes and the titles, he nodded off so just as the climax of the film approached everything went blank. The 15 people watching went mental but to no effect.

Nearly 3.5 hours of watching only to miss the last few minutes :lol:
That'd piss me off.

I had low expectations but ended up laughing myself silly and wiping tears away as other times. Not a bad combination.

Watched Pontypool the other day, Wibbs. I'd say it was an interesting idea but I didn't do much for me in terms of thrills or chills - was a horror movie afterall. And the underlying message was something along the lines of:

The public will believe anything reported/said by media. . . no matter how ridiculous?

Try these.

Proof, Little Fish, The Boys, Shine, The Castle, Breaker Morant, The year my voice broke, The Piano, Muriel's Wedding, Angel Baby, Cosi, The Interview, Two Hands, Rabbit Proof Fence and Samson and Delilah.

Watched Pontypool the other day, Wibbs. I'd say it was an interesting idea but I didn't do much for me in terms of thrills or chills - was a horror movie afterall. And the underlying message was something along the lines of:

The public will believe anything reported/said by media. . . no matter how ridiculous?

Maybe but there were moments in the first half of the film where they didn't know what was going on that were a bit unnerving. Unlike most horror films.

Try these.

Proof, Little Fish, The Boys, Shine, The Castle, Breaker Morant, The year my voice broke, The Piano, Muriel's Wedding, Angel Baby, Cosi, The Interview, Two Hands, Rabbit Proof Fence and Samson and Delilah.

You forgot the legendary "BMX Bandits".

Maybe but there were moments in the first half of the film where they didn't know what was going on that were a bit unnerving. Unlike most horror films.

To be fair, I was half asleep. Have you seen Paranormal Activity yet?

Try these.

Watch Shine and Breaker Morant ole.

Someone on here also named Bad Boy Bubby as one of his all time favourites. I've not seen it yet, but it's now at the top of my shortlist.

Which one is the jail movie about that legendary Aussie criminal? I enjoyed that one.

And Romper Stomper is quite decent from what I can recall.

Which one is the jail movie about that legendary Aussie criminal? I enjoyed that one.

Chopper is the one you mean, not a bad film albeit slightly embellished in parts. The real life Chopper insists he's never hit a woman.

Chopper is the one you mean, not a bad film albeit slightly embellished in parts. The real life Chopper insists he's never hit a woman.

Yeah, that's the one! The guy who played the protagonist did a great job I thought. They probably took some liberties with the story, but I enjoyed watching the film.

Chopper. I haven't seen it so I didn't include it.

Yes. I meant to include that one.

I'd include 'Once Were Warriors' to piss them off.

That was a Kiwi film. Brilliant if a bit disturbing.

Well, Paranormal Activity is a pile of boring shit (1/10). Derek Acorah probably loves it though, the fraudulent prick.

Zombieland was pretty good (6/10). 2012 was just a big, noisy turd (2/10). Terminator Salvation was not as bad as I was led to believe (5/10).

That concludes my round-up.

Mary and Max An Aussie claymation feature for adults. The story of 2 pen pal sad cases, one Aussie and one yank. The funniest and most poignant film that I have seen in years and certainly one of the best, if not the best, Aussie film in forever. Everyone should watch this film, it is that good. 9.5/10

You can tell from your description alone that this must be an Adam Elliot film. Had wondered what he was up to.

'Brother', 'Uncle' and 'Cousin' are fantastic short animations and Harvey Crumpet is one of the best. Check them out if you haven't already. He's up there with Nick Park in my opinion as an animator and story teller.

One and the same. I haven't seen any of his other stuff but I will watch Harvie Krumpet later this week. I think that won an oscar for best short animation didn't it?

This must surely win the animated feature this year.

Lantana bored the arse of me despite me wanting to like it.

Same here. And it was a set text when I was in high school so I had to suffer through it two or three times. Arse-numbing stuff.

The play it's adapted from, 'Speaking in Tongues', is genuinely brilliant though.

Law Abiding Citizen: Surprisingly good. It's a daft, gory thrill ride played well by a good cast. I liked it, but the ending is dreadful. 6.5/10

Law Abiding Citizen: Surprisingly good. It's a daft, gory thrill ride played well by a good cast. I liked it, but the ending is dreadful. 6.5/10

I watched it last week too and had the same feeling. It was good until the ending which ruined the whole move for me. It had the potential to be a strong 8 out of 10 movie if it hadn't been for the ending. It's nothing more than 7 out of 10 instead.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex, it was interesting (it covers a period of German history I wasn't overly familiar with) and well acted although it seemed in a rush to fit a little too much in and it suffered for it.