Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

They managed to get some real tension into the film at times. Like most horro films you don't want to examine the logic at times (not the order of events in the plot but the cause of the "horror" event) but I really enjoyed it. The whole budget was only 1.5 mill and I'd guess half that or more went on the salaries of the half known actors in it.

True. I want a horror films to give me the chills. . . flaws in the plot can be forgiven if this is achieved.

didn't you think it was a bit tame though, spoony?

No. I thought it was very good in that regard. I hate horror films that use sound to create atmosphere and tacky tricks to make you jump - not that this didn't at times(the latter). But a demon trolling someone's house - I'm sure you'd find that scenario scary in real life.

You should've watched it on your own at 2am in the night/morning.

What horror films scared you?

On an unrelated note, I'm doing an essay on modern Korean cinema. Anybody got any good recommendations from the last decade or so? Watched The Host, Shiri and a few Chan-wook Park films so far.

Memories of Murder is probably the best Korean film I've seen.

You should definitely check out for Kim Ki-Duk, more edgy and controversial but a brilliant film maker at his best. As well 'Spring...' that Spoony mentioned look out for 3-Iron.

Joint Security Area is excellent too.

No. I thought it was very good in that regard. I hate horror films that use sound to create atmosphere and tacky tricks to make you jump - not that this didn't at times(the latter). But a demon trolling someone's house - I'm sure you'd find that scenario scary in real life.

You should've watched it on your own at 2am in the night/morning.

What horror films scared you?

i wasn't keen on the exorcist first time i saw it - it was quite scary in it's day.
i like atmospheric films rather that visual i think, that said,
i think the scenes of the girl crawling from the tv screen in the ring maybe frightened me most lately.

i think the scenes of the girl crawling from the tv screen in the ring maybe frightened me most lately.

It might have got me too, instead Kermode when introducing the film explicitly mentioned the scene hence it lost all it's power.

I never found the Excorcist scary, the possession I found pretty funny and it didn't really creep me out like the Omen did when I first watched it as a teen.

Bruno: I thought this was funny in parts but very crude in other parts, Cohen definitely went OTT in some bits I think. It was funny but definitely not as good as Borat.

7/10

i wasn't keen on the exorcist first time i saw it - it was quite scary in it's day.
i like atmospheric films rather that visual i think, that said,

Yeah but it was a silly film. . . a spirit's only means of communication is via an old VHS tape. I just couldn't find any empathy for it. Having said, it had its moments, though. As for the Exorcist - after my first viewing I was decidedly underwhelmed. . .but I watched it again a few years later and it did much for me. Having said that one of the main reasons why it scared the bejesus out of people on release was because it was the first film with moving props.

Have you seen Rosemary's Baby? a brilliant psychological horror. I think you'll love it if you don't like being spoonfed by directors.

It might have got me too, instead Kermode when introducing the film explicitly mentioned the scene hence it lost all it's power.

I never found the Excorcist scary, the possession I found pretty funny and it didn't really creep me out like the Omen did when I first watched it as a teen.

Omen was truly creepy. And yeah it scared me a shedload more than the Exorcist n'all.

Yeah but it was a silly film. . . a spirit's only means of communication is via an old VHS tape. I just couldn't find any empathy for it. Having said, it had its moments, though. As for the Exorcist - after my first viewing I was decidedly underwhelmed. . .but I watched it again a few years later and it did much for me. Having said that one of the main reasons why it scared the bejesus out of people on release was because it was the first film with moving props.

Have you seen Rosemary's Baby? a brilliant psychological horror. I think you'll love it if you don't like being spoonfed by directors.

i have spoony - brilliant film, i've not seen it for many years though.

can you recommend any others? i haven't seen drag me to hell yet, but i've heard it's good

i'd had a very sheltered life then :)

A lot of people I know found it pretty scary, maybe it was the mood I was in I don't know. Probably worth a rewatch at some point.

I only really find the more psychological horrors scary, most horrors just go for cheap jumps and gore to arouse fear. The film that creeped me out the most in the last few years was a Japanese film called 'Cure', it's hard to explain why, but i found it extremely unnerving at the time.

i have spoony - brilliant film, i've not seen it for many years though.

can you recommend any others? i haven't seen drag me to hell yet, but i've heard it's good

Jacob's Ladder - a chiller more than a horror. But yeah it was creepy at times. Brilliant film, totally underrated.

Tale of Two Sisters - Korean horror.

Audition - As good as any horror I've seen. Is a Japanese flick - but that should've put you off.

Omen - you've probably seen.

A lot of people I know found it pretty scary, maybe it was the mood I was in I don't know. Probably worth a rewatch at some point.

I only really find the more psychological horrors scary, most horrors just go for cheap jumps and gore to arouse fear. The film that creeped me out the most in the last few years was a Japanese film called 'Cure', it's hard to explain why, but i found it extremely unnerving at the time.

I downloaded Cure a few months back - so basically it's well worth a watch?

And yeah agreed about cheap jumps and all that.

I downloaded Cure a few months back - so basically it's well worth a watch?

I think it's a masterpiece of it's kind, but I am a bit of a Kurosawa fan - I loved Charisma and Bright Future (less keen on Pulse though which is extremely overrated).

This sums up my thoughts (far more eloquently than I could) on it:

'Cure is an unnerving and unsettling film. Director Kurosawa proves to be an absolute master at creating a bleak atmosphere that chills the viewer to the very bone. Many subtle elements are combined to powerful effect. Locations are cold, run-down, deserted and dilapidated, characters are enigmatic and painted in shades of grey rather than black and white, the acting is understated and the unique use of sound thoroughly unnerving. Gore and blood are glimpsed occasionally and are presented in a way that is cool and observing.

In what is without doubt one of the purest horror films made in recent times, Kiyoshi Kurosawa unleashes a shadow. It is the shadow of apocalypse, an apocalypse which is not seen or heard, but sensed. And it's creeping ever closer.'

I think it's a masterpiece of it's kind, but I am a bit of a Kurosawa fan - I loved Charisma and Bright Future (less keen on Pulse though which is extremely overrated).

This sums up my thoughts (far more eloquently than I could) on it:

'Cure is an unnerving and unsettling film. Director Kurosawa proves to be an absolute master at creating a bleak atmosphere that chills the viewer to the very bone. Many subtle elements are combined to powerful effect. Locations are cold, run-down, deserted and dilapidated, characters are enigmatic and painted in shades of grey rather than black and white, the acting is understated and the unique use of sound thoroughly unnerving. Gore and blood are glimpsed occasionally and are presented in a way that is cool and observing.

In what is without doubt one of the purest horror films made in recent times, Kiyoshi Kurosawa unleashes a shadow. It is the shadow of apocalypse, an apocalypse which is not seen or heard, but sensed. And it's creeping ever closer.'

I thought Pulse was awful. I hope Cure's nothing like it.

Have you ever seen Kaidan? It's an old Japanese film - but it's looks as sexy as anything I've seen. Basically it's tells three different ghost stories. I reckon it's one of my fav films.

Terminator.Salvation

was not expecting a good film here, but it was OK.
The cameo by Arnie was just stupid how many times can the same terminator by killer.
Not up to the standard of the first 3 but it was better than the last effort.
It did its job of keeping me awake for a couple of hours on my night shift but only just.
5/10

This movie was better than I thought it would be. Normally I would agree with you about the Arnie cameo but I thought it was interesting how they digitally put his face from the first movie on the body. And it could make sense since maybe his features were the ones put over the skeleton at the time. I liked it better than the third film. But they still have not made one better than the first.

I thought Pulse was awful. I hope Cure's nothing like it.

Have you ever seen Kaidan? It's an old Japanese film - but it's looks as sexy as anything I've seen. Basically it's tells three different ghost stories. I reckon it's one of my fav films.

It is a far superior film to Pulse.

Kaidan seems interesting, £10 on Amazon, might have to pick it up.

Uncertainty. It's essentially 2 movies in one. A couple flip a coin to make a decision, and the film follows both stories. One set of events is called 'green', the other 'yellow'. In green, the couple go visit her family, and deal with deciding whether or not to keep a baby. In yellow, the couple find a phone, which leads to being followed by some not too nice gentlemen. The thing about the movie is while it does feel like 2 movies, which isn't necessarily bad, as the concept can work(Woody Allen's Melinda & Melinda for example), it feels like 2 movies that aren't that good. Interesting idea, not that great execution.

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.
This is even better than Star Trek , the special effects are outstanding and the battles are ,fast loud and exciting.
If you have not seen it , watch it and its got Megan Fox in it what more do you need.

Watching my shit float in the toilet was more entertaining than Transformers 2 and 1 for that matter.

Drag Me to Hell. . . er didn't nowt for me. I like my horror films to be a tad less cheesy. Seriously, have I missed something? what was so good about this movie?

Drag Me to Hell. . . er didn't nowt for me. I like my horror films to be a tad less cheesy. Seriously, have I missed something? what was so good about this movie?

It was never going to go down well with fanboys of horror flicks. It is cheesy from one perspective, but from another which has a more manageable bar to jump, the good combination of shock-value and humor was enough to see it a success with your average cinema goer.

Caught some really horrible movies this weekend on the telly.

The new Indiana Jones - terrible
Good luck chuck - Ugh. Has Jessica Alba ever done a good movie? And that last scene - youtube it.
Santa Claus - The one with Tim Allen. Nothing could have made this a good movie.
Done mess with the zohan - 1/10

The one good movie I saw was Surf's Up. Some lame stuff in the end but was class up until then. Very well done.

It was never going to go down well with fanboys of horror flicks. It is cheesy from one perspective, but from another which has a more manageable bar to jump, the good combination of shock-value and humor was enough to see it a success with your average cinema goer.

I'm not really a fanboy of horror, to be honest. I've read loads of reviews for Drag Me To Hell and they've generally been very positive. I didn't particulary think it was funny nor did I find it chilling/scary. It used a lot of shock techniques but as I said earlier on, I'm not a fan of those. I like my horrors to be more psychological.

Caught some really horrible movies this weekend on the telly.

The new Indiana Jones - terrible
Good luck chuck - Ugh. Has Jessica Alba ever done a good movie? And that last scene - youtube it.
Santa Claus - The one with Tim Allen. Nothing could have made this a good movie.
Done mess with the zohan - 1/10

The one good movie I saw was Surf's Up. Some lame stuff in the end but was class up until then. Very well done.

You are not joking - couldn't get past scene 2. Seriously WTF was that? I don't particularly like Sandler (apart from Happy Gilmore and Spanglish) but I wasn't expecting it to be quite that lame. Just embarrasing.

Raiders of the Lost Ark rubbish? Not as good as Crystal Skull??

Get out. Get out of the planet Earth. You are not welcome here anymore.

I watched Last Crusade a couple of months ago and it genuinely was a cringingly B-grade cheese fest. I wish I hadn't watched it tbh. I loved it as a kid.

I watched Last Crusade a couple of months ago and it genuinely was a cringingly B-grade cheese fest. I wish I hadn't watched it tbh. I loved it as a kid.

The ending was a bit naff but it's hardly a B-grade cringe fest and it shits all over the crystal skull with all that nuked fridge monkey swinging bollocks!

The ending certainly was extremely fecking naff.

I'm about to watch 'Ran', on that note. I haven't liked my previous exposure to Kurosawa so I'm not expecting too much here. Hopefully my low expectations will make it better.

Ran is great, I hope you get the most out of it, if you do then it's a fantastic experience.

Ran is an awesome film, one of the greatest of all time. Don't know what else you've seen of Kurosawa, but Ran stands out as a very grim and cold film. It doesn't really have the same spirit as many of his other films and is much bleaker, and I think it's better for it.

So far it seems like a fairly standard Kurosawa film, samurai types in bright clothing, castles, mountains, stylised overacting. It's watchable enough.

I doubt I'll ever really get into a Kurosawa film though.

I picked up Ran for about £3 in my local store a few weeks ago. Usually they only have shit movies so I was a bit suprised to find it here. I haven't watched it yet though.