Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Whatever Works Finally got around to watching this tonight and I'm glad I did. The basic story is a pretty familiar one of chance meeting, odd couple fall in love but the characters and the script make for entertaining viewing. Larry David isn't really given a great deal of acting to do, he plays a more misanthropic version of his curb larry, but he is good with what he has to do. Evan Rachel Wood is an actress I like a lot and is helped by the fact she is gorgeous while Patricia Clarkson and Ed Begley jr are good as her parents. The film does labour at points and I thought the ending of Ed Begley jr's characters story was a little bit too much although it did fit in with the cliche theme that runs throughout the film so can be forgiven. I'd give it an 8/10 although .5 of that is purely awarded for Evan Rachel Wood's cuteness

Whatever Works Finally got around to watching this tonight and I'm glad I did. The basic story is a pretty familiar one of chance meeting, odd couple fall in love but the characters and the script make for entertaining viewing. Larry David isn't really given a great deal of acting to do, he plays a more misanthropic version of his curb larry, but he is good with what he has to do. Evan Rachel Wood is an actress I like a lot and is helped by the fact she is gorgeous while Patricia Clarkson and Ed Begley jr are good as her parents. The film does labour at points and I thought the ending of Ed Begley jr's characters story was a little bit too much although it did fit in with the cliche theme that runs throughout the film so can be forgiven. I'd give it an 8/10 although .5 of that is purely awarded for Evan Rachel Wood's cuteness
I enjoyed the movie as well. Thought it really picked up once her mom came into town. Before that it was amusing without ever getting that great, but after Patricia Clarkson showed up, it got funnier.

I enjoyed the movie as well. Thought it really picked up once her mom came into town. Before that it was amusing without ever getting that great, but after Patricia Clarkson showed up, it got funnier.

Yeah her entrance was the spark the film needed, before that it was good dialogue and charming interaction between Melody and Boris without actually advancing us anywhere. Seems opinion is quite mixed on the imdb boards some positive, some negative and some saying it was paedophilc, that place makes this forum look sane.

Yeah her entrance was the spark the film needed, before that it was good dialogue and charming interaction between Melody and Boris without actually advancing us anywhere. Seems opinion is quite mixed on the imdb boards some positive, some negative and some saying it was paedophilc, that place makes this forum look sane.
I go nowhere near the imdb forums unless I'm trying to find out a song from a movie or something like that.

I used the search thread function but found nothing on the film "The Consequences Of Love"

Has anyone here seen it and can tell me good/bad is it ?

My pick for a quick review.

Zatoichi - 7.5/10

Takeshi Kitano is brilliant playing an enigmatic, nomadic and yes, blind swordsman who divides his time quite neatly between gambling and cutting up bad guys.

If the Caf movie watching folk are anything like my mates when it comes to films, you will hate the fact it is subtitled, others who can get past that will be glad they did, a good piece of film making that doesn't take itself too seriously at all.

I used the search thread function but found nothing on the film "The Consequences Of Love"

Has anyone here seen it and can tell me good/bad is it ?

My pick for a quick review.

Zatoichi - 7.5/10

Takeshi Kitano is brilliant playing an enigmatic, nomadic and yes, blind swordsman who divides his time quite neatly between gambling and cutting up bad guys.

If the Caf movie watching folk are anything like my mates when it comes to films, you will hate the fact it is subtitled, others who can get past that will be glad they did, a good piece of film making that doesn't take itself too seriously at all.
I hate people who don't watch movies because they're subtitled.

I hate people who don't watch movies because they're subtitled.

I don't hate them as such, it annoys me because they are completely shunning a fair few classic films by doing so, I only managed to get my mates watching some of the better Studio Ghibli films (Grave of the fireflies and princess mononoke) by playing them the dubbed versions, which aren't as good in my view.

I put on one of the Three Colours trilogy one time when we were all watching movies one night and got shouted down for it, same with Oldboy and Memories Of Murder.

I don't hate them as such, it annoys me because they are completely shunning a fair few classic films by doing so, I only managed to get my mates watching some of the better Studio Ghibli films (Graveyard of the fireflies and princess mononoke) by playing them the dubbed versions, which aren't as good in my view.

I agree.

Not only because dubs don't provide as thorough translations as subtitles do, but also because Disney often change the original music when they dub the voices. It's fecking criminal.

Have you seen Miyazaki's latest film, Stobzilla?

I've got it on my hard drive but I have yet to watch it, it doesn't look as good as his other work though.

Have you seen Miyazaki's latest film, Stobzilla?

I've got it on my hard drive but I have yet to watch it, it doesn't look as good as his other work though.

I assume you mean "Ponyo" it is good, not his best work but it is such a beautiful film to look at, If I watched it when I was 10-12 I could imagine it being one of my favorite films ever and it does seem aimed more that way but it is an enjoyable watch none the less.

To say it is a step below his best isn't an insult to it in my eyes when you consider his best to include such films as Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

I assume you mean "Ponyo" it is good, not his best work but it is such a beautiful film to look at, If I watched it when I was 10-12 I could imagine it being one of my favorite films ever and it does seem aimed more that way but it is an enjoyable watch none the less.

Yeah, I wish I would have seen some of his films when I was a kid, it's an experience now so I can only imagine what it would have been like then.

But I did thoroughly enjoy Totoro and Porco Rosso, which you could say were more aimed at that sort of audience.

Yeah, I wish I would have seen some of his films when I was a kid, it's an experience now so I can only imagine what it would have been like then.

But I did thoroughly enjoy Totoro and Porco Rosso, which you could say were more aimed at that sort of audience.

Another annoying thing, my friends will gladly indulge themselves in films like Finding Nemo and the like (plainly a film aimed at children) but then films like Totoro and I quote from one of them "that looks like childish bollocks"

Gets on my nerves.

Another annoying thing, my friends will gladly indulge themselves in films like Finding Nemo and the like (plainly a film aimed at children) but then films like Totoro and I quote from one of them "that looks like childish bollocks"

Gets on my nerves.

Did they watch it in the end?

I've yet to come across anyone who has seen that film that wasn't completely charmed by it.

So you should, Miyazaki and Ghibli are the finest cartoon makers in the world. Ponyo is more of a young childs tale that is in the area of my neigbour Totorro, rather than the teen Spirirted Away or the more adult Mononke. You should lso check out Laputa castle in the sky. One of his earliest works, and whilst the animation isn't up to his modern standards, it's still a cracking adventure yarn.

Public Enemies 8/10

A brilliant period gangster film by Michael Mann. Telling the story of the hunt for John Dillinger and the emergence of the FBI. Some great performances, one from Bale who reminds us he can actually act and not just grunt his way through a flick. Depp is enigmatic as Dillinger, where the thrill and the fame seem more important to the character than the money. Not Manns best work but a worthy addition to his filmography. I noticed how long the film was but didn't actually care as i was so engrossed.

Loved it.

Just got back from a preview screening of Harry Brown.

Caine was pretty good, film was average and I wouldn't believe the hype on the posters.

Two things that Irked me.
Major Spoiler alert.............

1) The three main suspects for the event which sparked Caines vengeance got arrested and subsequently released. Later in the film it transpires that one of them had the whole thing filmed on his mobile phone. We're supposed to assume that the Police didn't check their phones for any incriminating texts, video or pictures!

2) They needlessly allude to a suspects past sexual abuse during interrogation and then later in the film he is seen giving a drug baron head before the said baron gets shot. The drug baron is only in the film for about 2 minutes and the scene was just there to be controversial in my opinion. they could just have easily been talking business or handing over drugs. The scene didn't alter my perceptions or develop either character so I didn't really see the point.

Maybe I'm picking holes and one of you will have a different opinion, but I didn't see the point!

The imanglemooplemarble of Dr Parnassus...Or whatever - 7/10...

Terry Gilliam is needed in Cinema, he's a brilliantly original mind capable of brilliance....but also startelingly pretentious mediocrity. This is leaning more towards brilliance, but it's let down by a multitude of things...Basically, if you like Gilliam in Baron Munchausen mode rather than 12 Monkeys, you'll like it, if you don't, you'll hate it...

Ledger is good, though his accent is all over the shop and rather annoying, Depp, Law and Farrel phone in their part with only Depp conveying any kind of humor to the role and although Christopher Plummer is excellent as always, and the doll faced Lilly Cole manages to be pretty competent amongst such a stella cast, they're all out done by Andrew Garfield as the unassuming wanna be hero, and Tom Waits hamming it up as the devil...Garfield in particular won me over

The story is the usual maddening Gilliam stuff....great premise, lost in a mire of too many idea's but interesting to look at, but not for over 2 hours.

I enjoyed it, but it's not really a classic....

Moon - 9/10

Just glorious....loved it. Absolutely loved it.

Going to watch "They Live" now, comedy gold.

What's wrong baby?

they_live_22_whats_wrong_baby.jpg

I couldn't believe how long that fighting scene went on, it was fantastic, even longer then I remembered

Thats a class film , has some very bad acting in it , but the worst has to go to the former WWF fighter Rowdy Piper.
Not watched it for years might have to dig it out.

Do it, it still amuses me after a dry of 4-5 years.

Terminator.Salvation

was not expecting a good film here, but it was OK.
The cameo by Arnie was just stupid how many times can the same terminator by killer.
Not up to the standard of the first 3 but it was better than the last effort.
It did its job of keeping me awake for a couple of hours on my night shift but only just.
5/10

Terminator.Salvation

The cameo by Arnie was just stupid how many times can the same terminator by killer.
It did its job of keeping me awake for a couple of hours on my night shift but only just.
5/10

What? You realise Arnie is the only human form of the T-800, if they changed it then that would have been stupid.

Terminator.Salvation

5/10

Bit of a contradiction there since Part 3 -'Rise of the Machines' was the last effort and a truly diabolical movie.

What? You realise Arnie is the only human form of the T-800, if they changed it then that would have been stupid.

NO he wasn't, in the original terminator film they showed a different version in Reese's flashback/forward. That model was the one that they wanted specifically for Connor.

Blood: The Last Vampire. Outside of a few somewhat interesting fight sequences, this movie is shit. Bad acting, directing, story. It has a good recipe: demons, woman in school girl outfit, and swords. It's a mess though. Shame because I remember liking the original anime.

Edit: I failed to mention, the special effects are fecking awful.

Blood: The Last Vampire. Outside of a few somewhat interesting fight sequences, this movie is shit. Bad acting, directing, story. It has a good recipe: demons, woman in school girl outfit, and swords. It's a mess though. Shame because I remember liking the original anime.

Edit: I failed to mention, the special effects are fecking awful.

I had that lined up, shan't bother with it now!