Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Just watched the Forth Kind tonite....

based on a true story with original video and audio evidence - very very spooky film

a few parts had you actually bricking it - check it out peoples

if you like a fright you'll enjoy this movie

i should say its most likely bullshit

500 Days of Summer Rom Com with a difference? Maybe, although not that different. The film bounces around between different points of the relationship between Tom and Summer, played by Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, from the moment they met through to the present and all that love entails, happiness, fulfilment, despair, heartbreak. The script is good and attempts a more character driven analysis of a relationship than your standard recent rom com fare which seems to focus more on humour. That isn't to say it isn't funny, it has some very funny moments but it is very low key and natural and they flow inside the script rather than follow a build up and punchline rhythym that is all too common in Hollywood cinema. The acting is pretty good, I've liked Joseph Gordon Levitt since Third Rock From the Sun and although he struggles some times with the dramatic scenes as a leading man it doesn't detract from the film. Zooey Deschanel has a spellbinding quality that means I always fall slightly in love with her whenever she is on screen so I'm probably not a great judge of her performance. The way it is shot is pretty interesting and there is a fantastic dance sequence (trust me) that any man who has ever got laid will emphasize with. It is definitely not a first date movie, or probably a 2nd, 3rd or 4th date movie but if you're in a relationship where you're pretty comfortable with where you're going then I'd thoroughly recommend this. Or if you're a singleton like me. 7/10

Going to watch "They Live" now, comedy gold.

is that john carpenter?

My friend just got a John Carpenter boxset and said he was really looking forward to watching They Live, based purely on the blurb on the back of the DVD and the fact it has Roddie Piper. Also one of the selling points "the longest fist fight scene ever!"

SO it's worth a watch?

in a, it's so bad it's good sort of way i imagine :lol:

Anyone seen Men wWho Stare At Goats yet? is it worth it?

I watched it last night and I must say it was very enjoyable. It's very quirky and more than a bit silly in places but what do you expect from a film called "Men Who Stare At Goats"?
Clooney seems to enjoy playing an oddball character and Jeff Bridges was great. Ewan Mcgregor is quite good too, his American accent starts off slightly annoying but I had forgotten about it 10 minutes into the movie so it couldn't have been that bad. Spacey hams it up, especially in a scene which was one of the films highlights when he is trying to demonstrate his powers.

If you enjoy quirky comedy then you will enjoy this film.

is that john carpenter?

My friend just got a John Carpenter boxset and said he was really looking forward to watching They Live, based purely on the blurb on the back of the DVD and the fact it has Roddie Piper. Also one of the selling points "the longest first fight scene ever!"

SO it's worth a watch?

It is definitely worth watching and you have hit the nail on the head!

excellent, i love quite a few Carpenter films, most of the ones i've seen and if this one is anything like them i'll enjoy it too.

just reading some "Big Trouble in Little China" quotes. Absolutely hilarious.

Jack Burton: Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president.

I used the search thread function but found nothing on the film "The Consequences Of Love"

Has anyone here seen it and can tell me good/bad is it ?

My pick for a quick review.

Zatoichi - 7.5/10

Takeshi Kitano is brilliant playing an enigmatic, nomadic and yes, blind swordsman who divides his time quite neatly between gambling and cutting up bad guys.

If the Caf movie watching folk are anything like my mates when it comes to films, you will hate the fact it is subtitled, others who can get past that will be glad they did, a good piece of film making that doesn't take itself too seriously at all.

"The Consequences Of Love"

I've seen it a few months ago. Beautiful photography, really really good stuff and even though I did not like the movie that much Id watch it again only because of the atmosphere and the colours. It's a very slow movie, dont' watch it if you're hectic and cannot relax. Good, believable characters, OK story. The barmaid is very attractive and I liked the subtle erotic undertones. The main guy, Toni Servillo, dont know what to think of him, he annoyed me quite a lot because I couldnt really follow his logic. But that's Toni. I'd give it a 6/10.

is that john carpenter?

My friend just got a John Carpenter boxset and said he was really looking forward to watching They Live, based purely on the blurb on the back of the DVD and the fact it has Roddie Piper. Also one of the selling points "the longest first fight scene ever!"

SO it's worth a watch?

Indeed it is.

And it's so bad that you really don't know if it's bad, it's just that good.

Up - 8/10 - As a 25 year old bloke who drinks, smokes, likes football and is usually crushingly cynical about all films, especially soppy childrens ones, I never fail to be amazed by Pixar's ability to leave me spell bound...Their opus is surely the greatest collection of childrens films ever made by one company (Disney bought into this one, it's Pixar all the way) and they truly are genius' in their field

Some things don't work in this for me, and it gets ridiculous at times, but it really doesn't matter as the next scene will include something funnier than most adult films, more touching than most adult films, or better to look at than most adult films. They do pathos better than 99% of filmmakers trying to make profound films and at times, as with WALL-E, it's just simply beautiful. You have to take your hat off to them and admire it...even if it's the kind of thing you'd usually run a mile from

Another great addition to the Pixar stable that, if we forget about Cars, is as perfect an opus as you could hope for.

Up - 8/10 - As a 25 year old bloke who drinks, smokes, likes football and is usually crushingly cynical about all films, especially soppy childrens ones, I never fail to be amazed by Pixar's ability to leave me spell bound...Their opus is surely the greatest collection of childrens films ever made by one company (Disney bought into this one, it's Pixar all the way) and they truly are genius' in their field

Some things don't work in this for me, and it gets ridiculous at times, but it really doesn't matter as the next scene will include something funnier than most adult films, more touching than most adult films, or better to look at than most adult films. They do pathos better than 99% of filmmakers trying to make profound films and at times, as with WALL-E, it's just simply beautiful. You have to take your hat off to them and admire it...even if it's the kind of thing you'd usually run a mile from

Another great addition to the Pixar stable that, if we forget about Cars, is as perfect an opus as you could hope for.

Hmmmm....Studio Ghibli might have something to say about that.

But Pixar is fantastic, I agree.

The main guy, Toni Servillo, dont know what to think of him, he annoyed me quite a lot because I couldnt really follow his logic. But that's Toni. I'd give it a 6/10.
Probably because he's an old git. I did think when recommending it that maybe someone in their 20s might not like it as much as I did.

There Will Be Blood

Perhaps a little bit too long, but its a good film, definately worth a watch.

8.1/10

Have you seen Il Divo yet?
No I missed it when it came out, I'll probably catch it at the Riverside when it comes round.

PS two stunning double bills next week:

In the Mood for Love + 2046
Mesrine Parts 1 & 2

Paprika - One of the most beautiful and original Anime I have seen in a long long time it hardly makes sense, but it weaves in and out of wonderfully crafted dream worlds effortlessly.

Watch this film. Lose yourself in it and marvel.

9/10

Anyone seen Harry Brown yet? Really hope it's not a let down.

Gladiator (10/10)

Can't believe I didn't watch this earlier. Russel Crowe is awesome and I loved the story (even though I found out it was fiction) One of the best movies I've ever watched

Paprika - One of the most beautiful and original Anime I have seen in a long long time it hardly makes sense, but it weaves in and out of wonderfully crafted dream worlds effortlessly.

9/10

All of Satoshi Kon's work is worth checking out Satoshi Kon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent in particular.

Anyone seen Harry Brown yet? Really hope it's not a let down.

Just got back from a preview screening of Harry Brown.

Caine was pretty good, film was average and I wouldn't believe the hype on the posters.

Two things that Irked me.
Major Spoiler alert.............

1) The three main suspects for the event which sparked Caines vengeance got arrested and subsequently released. Later in the film it transpires that one of them had the whole thing filmed on his mobile phone. We're supposed to assume that the Police didn't check their phones for any incriminating texts, video or pictures!

2) They needlessly allude to a suspects past sexual abuse during interrogation and then later in the film he is seen giving a drug baron head before the said baron gets shot. The drug baron is only in the film for about 2 minutes and the scene was just there to be controversial in my opinion. they could just have easily been talking business or handing over drugs. The scene didn't alter my perceptions or develop either character so I didn't really see the point.

Maybe I'm picking holes and one of you will have a different opinion, but I didn't see the point!

The film is watchable but don't expect anything special.

9/10

Seen it. Amazing film! Dont think I've ever seen a better anime in my life.

Probably because he's an old git. I did think when recommending it that maybe someone in their 20s might not like it as much as I did.

Im approaching my 40s, Peter ;) Anyways, I think you have to be in a right mood for this type of a movie, maybe I just wasnt. Although I loved Toni's extremely minimalistic interaction with the bargirl. That was really well done.

Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Before Night Falls.

Both good films, loved the first one though, Julian Schnabel does some great work.

No idea...it's just one long computer game cut scene....left me emotionally dead but I suppose there's something in there worthy of praise, I just can't think what...As the mate I watched it with said, "If this had been acted by real people it would have been the worst thing ever"...so, yeah, meh...5

Coco before Chanel

Biopic chick flick about the early Coco. Audrey Tautou is no Catherine Deneuve but gives it a go.

Dan In Real Life

Nice little drama. Good story with some unpredictable turn of events, Steve Carell doesnt do the usual spastic, and Juliet Binoche is amazing. Something your missus would like and you would't mind watching.

7/10.

Away We Go

Plot - A pregnant couple learn that the paternal parents will be moving abroad before the baby is born, leading the couple to visit various friends and family around the states, in turn, trying to choose a suitable location to start their family. From what seems like perfect lives on the surface, after each visit the grass doesn't quite seem greener and eventually realise there's no place like home.

Review - It was a very dull plot which I was fully aware of, but I watched hoping it would follow in the footsteps of Sideways, but it failed to spark for me. I only really took interest due to the lead played by John Krasinski (Halpert, The Office). I think there was a profound message regarding 30 somethings coming to terms with parental responsibilities but I couldn't relate. After the first few scenes, I lost interest and realised I was only watching for the Krasinski wise cracks.

6/10

Watched Marat / Sade at the weekend. I actually watched it on the back of this recommendation and I dont think I can improve on it so I will paste it here.

Marat/Sade (1967) aka: The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum at Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade -- If you are a fan of the outright lunacy and supreme intelligence of The Devils then you won't want to miss this one. I'm guessing Russell saw this film several times prior to making his film but i could be wrong. It's definitely one of those that requires a half a dozen of more viewings. It's very much in the vein of The Devils in that it's essentially a film about the French Revolution and the political corruption that was so pervasive at the time, and the hysteria that destroyed so many.
My favorite aspect of this film is the way the assylum inmates and Sade act like loons one second then turn right into the camera and start telling you the viewer the most consolidated form of truth we can(not) handle the next. There is one scene where a women acts possessed as if she was trying out for an extra in Russell's future film. If you can imagine One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest meets The Devils meets 12 Monkeys you may be on the right path to Marat/Sade. Stars Patrick Magee (A Clockwork Orange) as the ambivalent and ambiguous Marquis de Sade.

An interesting one to watch with some very un-PC laughs in it.

9/10

Seen it. Amazing film! Dont think I've ever seen a better anime in my life.

Incredible animation but the story line and pacing were terrible. 5/10

Gambit, you really worry me. I saw it a couple years ago and thought it was brilliant. It was almost David Lynch-like.

Gambit, you really worry me. I saw it a couple years ago and thought it was brilliant. It was almost David Lynch-like.

It was at times, but the way it jumped around in the narrative and animation really didn't help the story line.

Basically you found it difficult to follow? Do you like surrealism?

No i did get it, i like surrealism, but that still doesn't mean the pacing and narative wasn't off a lot. they would have scenes were paprika would go back to being achan who wouldn't even utter a line then be back in the dream scape so quickly that it would render the previous 5 minutes pointless. It felt like a lot of individual episodes thrown together.

Watched a couple of films tonight

The Out of Towners - Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis star as a married couple travelling to New York so George (Lemmon) can go to a job interview. Along the way every conceivable mishap occurs, their baggage is lost, their hotel reservation cancelled and they even end up sharing a dogs left overs for breakfast. The film is funny, a real comedy of errors and although George can be a little cruel to his wife he is played with all the charm and wit you expect from Jack Lemmon who is one of my all time favourites and Sandy Dennis is good as his long suffering other half. Definitely one to watch if you're looking for something fun and easy 7/10

Brick
- Film Noir set in a school with Joseph Gordon Levitt, must be rubbish right? Bloody wrong. Following Brendon (Levitt) as he plays the Humphrey Bogart, Phillip Marlowe in The big Sleep detective and investigates the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend, the plot is filled with all the characters you'd expect from a film noir, femme fatales, criminals, the muscle but done so in a school going setting. Not that this is a Clueless or Bugsy Malone type of parody, it is dark, edgy and fantastically made and rather than make an issue out of the fact that these are kids playing in a adult world it gels and locks in to natural groove. This film should be on your list if you haven't seen it 8.5/10

Brick [/B]- Film Noir set in a school with Joseph Gordon Levitt, must be rubbish right? Bloody wrong. Following Brendon (Levitt) as he plays the Humphrey Bogart, Phillip Marlowe in The big Sleep detective and investigates the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend, the plot is filled with all the characters you'd expect from a film noir, femme fatales, criminals, the muscle but done so in a school going setting. Not that this is a Clueless or Bugsy Malone type of parody, it is dark, edgy and fantastically made and rather than make an issue out of the fact that these are kids playing in a adult world it gels and locks in to natural groove. This film should be on your list if you haven't seen it 8.5/10
I love that movie. Joseph Gordon Levitt is turning into one of my favorite actors. He's been in that, Lookout, and (500) Days of Summer. All very good movies.

Seriously? That's what you define as Lynch?

-

And I saw brick a couple of years a go, didn't like it, don't remember why.

But Gordon Levitt did a neat job in Mysterious Skin

Yeah, he's quickly turning into an A-lister. Who would have though that the lil' kid from 3rd rock would turn into a big time Hollywood star? He was the only decent thing in GI Joe as well.

He's also in Nolans Inception. And I read somewhere that Nolan was very impressed with his performance and that Levitt might just be first in line if he decided to bring the Joker back. Tabloid Bollocks I guess.