Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Nolan would be foolish to bring The Joker back in this generation, nothing will compare to Ledger's performance maybe in 25 years ya, but just use a different villian(s) for now

Seriously? That's what you define as Lynch?

Yes...the mans a walking cliche of pretentiousness, right down to the hair. ...There's some kind of self appointed intelligencia intellectual masturbation circle around Lynch which annoys me...I found Blue Velvet one of the most annoying films I've ever seen...there also seems to be some unwritten rule that anyone who is liberal, creative and able to string a coherant sentence together has to adore him which i similarly abhor...for example the Guardian called him "the most important director of this era." which is just absolutely fecking ludicrous... but obviously not his fault.

I'm sure there are many reasons why he's an undoubted genius of some kind, but he's really not for me...

I love that movie. Joseph Gordon Levitt is turning into one of my favorite actors. He's been in that, Lookout, and (500) Days of Summer. All very good movies.

Yeah I wrote in my post about (500) Days of summer that I liked Joseph Gordon Levitt seems to get mixed reviews amongst my friends though. Good shout on The Lookout really enjoyed that film and another very uncomfortable character for him to play, Jeff Daniels was also very good in that I thought. His next couple of films sound interesting too so hopefully GI Joe wasn't a sign of things to come.

Yes...the mans a walking cliche of pretentiousness, right down to the hair. ...There's some kind of self appointed intelligencia intellectual masturbation circle around Lynch which annoys me...I found Blue Velvet one of the most annoying films I've ever seen...there also seems to be some unwritten rule that anyone who is liberal, creative and able to string a coherant sentence together has to adore him which i similarly abhor...for example the Guardian called him "the most important director of this era." which is just absolutely fecking ludicrous... but obviously not his fault.

I'm sure there are many reasons why he's an undoubted genius of some kind, but he's really not for me...
I find people who like his movies to be far more pretentious than Lynch himself. I think because his movies are so abstract, they use it as a badge of honor that they 'get' his movies and love them.

Yeah I wrote in my post about (500) Days of summer that I liked Joseph Gordon Levitt seems to get mixed reviews amongst my friends though. Good shout on The Lookout really enjoyed that film and another very uncomfortable character for him to play, Jeff Daniels was also very good in that I thought. His next couple of films sound interesting too so hopefully GI Joe wasn't a sign of things to come.
Yeah, hopefully he doesn't do much more GI Joe stuff. That was a terrible movie. He's in another one that's playing in NYC and on Time Warner Cable on demand called Uncertainty. May have to watch it tonight.

Lynch is a good cinematic experience, he does the unacceptable acceptable in a non-realistic parallel world. Very stylistic throughout his films and with some beautiful shots I can't see why one might not appreciate Lynch's work, even though you personally don't like it.

And I find most people who don't like Lynch to be a result of the polarization of the;
I find people who like his movies to be far more pretentious than Lynch himself. I think because his movies are so abstract, they use it as a badge of honor that they 'get' his movies and love them.
-crowd.

But I like feeling smart when watching movies, it gives the implied reader more credit than countless other films that underlines their story to infinity. But that's not the only reason I like Lynch, that's just a pro, because his stuff are really quality.

Lynch is an odd one. I loved Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man. I'd enjoyed Wild At Heart but Cage's presence spoiled it for me. Mullholland drive was OK but Dune was utter rubbish. So great at his best but more miss than hit for me.

This is his latest project which is interesting DAVIDLYNCH.COM PRESENTS INTERVIEW PROJECT - NEW EPISODE EVERY THREE DAYS

I don't think anyone could call Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man and Twin Peaks pretentious. In fact that'd be such a lazy statement to make. And I loved Mullholland Dr, as Mexos said(not specifically aimed at this film) it was a fantastic cinematic experience which is what watching movies is all about. Lost Highway was very good too, I found it to be truly creepy. The only film I disliked was Inland Empire - was like torture, for me. Again, it could be down to enjoying surrealism. I also love abstract art. So kill me, Ole.

And Mockers - you think Lost is brilliant. You're not allowed an opinion now.

And I find most people who don't like Lynch to be a result of the polarization of the; -crowd.

Is a very good point....I certainly dislike his 'fans' more than I dislike him....and his hair is quite good really

And Mockers - you think Lost is brilliant. You're not allowed an opinion now.

thats a lazy statement to make really :p

...and no the Elephant man certainly isn't pretentious...but it isn't trying to be clever and subversive either...it's just a very nicely made film, which I'm aware he had a hand in every facet of, even the music....It isn't the film that springs to mind when you think of Lynch though, sadly.

Attending the Torino Film Festival.

Only seen 4 movies so far.

First one from Romania: Police adj.

Politist, adj. (2009)

Loved it. Just follows the daily routine of one cop who is tailing a group of teenagers smoking week. Shows how tedious police work actually is.

Then there are lots of movies from Nagisa Oshima.
Watched Etsuraku( Pleasures of the flesh) yesterday. Etsuraku (1965)

The complete opposite of feel good movie. Rape, murder, theft, sex, prostitution, blackmail, betrayal...the movies has everything!

Going to watch 5-6 more.

Yeah I think I'll change to one movie at a time. And I should revise my queue. I have too much french new wave in it right now when what I really feel like watching is more Cary Grant and Bogart.

Saw a Cuban movie the other day. Strawberries and Chocolate I think it was called. Could've been a decent watch had it not been for the fact that I hasn't slept for 2 days before watching it so promptly fell asleep 40 mins into it.

Dead Mans Shoes

Watched it for the first time the other day. Very good. Gripping throughout. Recommended.

8.8/10

Well i've just seen Cannibal Holocaust. Other than the whole sale slaughter of every critter they came across, quite tame, badly acted and very funny. I felt it just needed a Crow, Servo and Mike sillhouetted commentary throughout and it would have been great.
6/10

Saw Adventureland.. It was shit.

Geek with extremely punchable face meets unreasonably hot girl. Made me want to seriously bully him. No, drown him.

Well i've just seen Cannibal Holocaust. Other than the whole sale slaughter of every critter they came across, quite tame, badly acted and very funny. I felt it just needed a Crow, Servo and Mike sillhouetted commentary throughout and it would have been great.
6/10

I'd agree with that.

Quite disappointed after all the hype I'd heard when the most shocking scene of the film was the slaughter of a giant tortoise. That was just disgusting.

Also saw Che (Part I). Really liked it although I felt that they went a bit easy on him. I have this thing for Cuba though and probably buy into more of the Che hype than I should.
Everyone knows he was meaner than that and not this saint-like figure they portray him as. Loved Motorcycle Diaries but there it was easier to get away with it since it's the story about him as a young man.

Haven't seen Part II yet and I'm looking forward to seeing if Sotherberg portrays the man in a more realistic fashion since it's the ending of the story so to speak.

6/10

I thought it was quite well done. Some of the scenes were genuinely shocking and it was nothing like I had seen before. Dont remember much though. It's been about 8 years since I saw it. still remember the scene of the woman impaled on a pole and the one where the guy's dick is chopped off.

I thought it was quite well done. Some of the scenes were genuinely shocking and it was nothing like I had seen before. Dont remember much though. It's been about 8 years since I saw it. still remember the scene of the woman impaled on a pole and the one where the guy's dick is chopped off.

The animal slaughter scenes were the most shocking. The human slaughters were mostly at a distance and scenes were they were using big cloth sticks with blood in them to act as the chopping up was a bit lame. It was quite well done, but the performances let it down in places.

Moon One of the better sci-fi films of recent years and made on a small budget by Hollywood standards - about 5 mill. The makers state that they intended to make it a homage to sci-fi films of the 70's and 80's and if I have a criticism it is that it is more a copy at times than a homage. It feels like Silent Running meets 2001 with a few concepts from Blade Runner thrown in for good measure. But I nit pick because it is a fascinating watch with a superb performance from Sam Rockwell. 8.5/10

Yeah it was a bit Solyaris/2001-lite. But a decent film regardless. . .

last%20samurai.jpg

The Last Samurai
Plot
Nathan Algren(Tom Cruise) is some ex-American general who is hired by the Japanese to lead their army in war against the Samurai. He's captured by the Samurais during battle and learns their ways while living in captivity.

Review
Fantastic movie. It's one of my favourite ones. Ken Watanabe was fantastic as Katsumuto... I think that was his name. The whole thing is shot in a beautiful place(in the mountains of Japan, I guess) -- it's a beautiful movie.

One of those movies you'd love to watch on a day when you're bored as feck.

8.5/10

It's average and cliched heart string fodder, albeit well made fodder. However, I am now downloading the soundtrack because it's velly velly good.

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Movie made in 1917, found again in 1985 and released.

Excellent movie. My first silent in a long time, enjoyed it. The actress is absolutely brilliant.

Second viewing of Aguirre:Wrath of God. Still brilliant.

Le Cercle Rouge: 8.5/10
Alright, so it wasn't quite as awesome as Rififi but a pretty good French heist movie nonetheless. One thing that bugged me was that it had at least two story arcs that went nowhere. Starring two actors that I don't know and Yves Montand (Wages of Fear, oh what a movie, what a movie that is).

Harry Brown

Micheal Caine plays a retired Marine who lives alone. His wife is dieing and when his only real friend is brutally murdered by a local gang, Harry decides to seek revenge for this crime and goes on a vigilante crusade. It's not an action packed thriller by any means though, the plot moves along slowly and focuses on the lonliness of Harry and his reaction to how low humanity can sink in society.

Micheal Caine plays the part superbly and you really feel empathy for his character and Ben Drew is well worth mentioning for his performance as the sociopathic yob. The film draws a few comparisons to Gran Torino, I'm undecided as to which is better but Harry Brown is certainly more gritty and shocking.

7.5/10

Harry Brown

Micheal Caine plays a retired Marine who lives alone. His wife is dieing and when his only real friend is brutally murdered by a local gang, Harry decides to seek revenge for this crime and goes on a vigilante crusade. It's not an action packed thriller by any means though, the plot moves along slowly and focuses on the lonliness of Harry and his reaction to how low humanity can sink in society.

Micheal Caine plays the part superbly and you really feel empathy for his character and Ben Drew is well worth mentioning for his performance as the sociopathic yob. The film draws a few comparisons to Gran Torino, I'm undecided as to which is better but Harry Brown is certainly more gritty and shocking.

7.5/10

I didn't like it and I thought Gran Torino was much better.

Second viewing of Aguirre:Wrath of God. Still brilliant.

Le Cercle Rouge: 8.5/10
Alright, so it wasn't quite as awesome as Rififi but a pretty good French heist movie nonetheless. One thing that bugged me was that it had at least two story arcs that went nowhere. Starring two actors that I don't know and Yves Montand (Wages of Fear, oh what a movie, what a movie that is).

I've got a boxset of Herzog and Kinski films. Havent watched them all yet, to be honest they are tough to watch. So far Aguirre is certainly my favourite, mental film but captivating.

I got dragged to the new Twilight movie today. feck me i just don't get it, the hysteria is fecking ridiculous. Oh and the movie somehow managed to be even worse than the first.

Four Weddings and a fecking Funeral

The first thing you're probably wondering is why any man worth his testicles would want to watch this massive gayfest of a film for any reason other than that his missus chose the movie. The answer is that it appeared in the Guardian's list of the greatest British films ever made so I decided to give it a chance.

What a mistake that was. Two hours of aneurysm inducing wankery about love and relationships with not one iota of wit or irony to make it tolerable. There's literally not a single funny piece of dialogue in the entire movie.

But the biggest of this film's many problems was that the main female love interest, the focal point of the film for feck's sake, was really rather dull and unremarkable. The fact that Andie McDowell was the actress involved was a major reason for this, but the writing certainly didn't help. Throw in Hugh Grant in rent-a-fop mode and a cast of characters whom, presumably, were supposed to be endearing and eccentric, but were actually just a bit annoying, and you have all the ingredients for a two hour cinematic experience in which your only motivation to continue is to see if it eventually gets any better.

2/10

Four Weddings and a fecking Funeral

The first thing you're probably wondering is why any man worth his testicles would want to watch this massive gayfest of a film for any reason other than that his missus chose the movie. The answer is that it appeared in the Guardian's list of the greatest British films ever made so I decided to give it a chance.

What a mistake that was. Two hours of aneurysm inducing wankery about love and relationships with not one iota of wit or irony to make it tolerable. There's literally not a single funny piece of dialogue in the entire movie.

But the biggest of this film's many problems was that the main female love interest, the focal point of the film for feck's sake, was really rather dull and unremarkable. The fact that Andie McDowell was the actress involved was a major reason for this, but the writing certainly didn't help. Throw in Hugh Grant in rent-a-fop mode and a cast of characters whom, presumably, were supposed to be endearing and eccentric, but were actually just a bit annoying, and you have all the ingredients for a two hour cinematic experience in which your only motivation to continue is to see if it eventually gets any better.

2/10

:lol: Not your cup of tea MR?

I think is pretty damn good Andie McDowell apart, who is rubbish.

It wasn't bad for a rom-com. Grant is passable playing the wanker, rather just being a complete wanker as in most of his other movies.

That was all it was meant to be. It must have been pretty good to survive Andie McDowell's wooden acting.