Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Yep. He was proper street tough. I love the way the ICF took him in and made him a part of their clan. Nice bunch those lot.

Anyway, has anyone seen Moon?

No, but my mate has, and has raved about it.

Rockwell's a criminally underrated actor, IMO.

Moon's excellent Spoony, Rockwell's performance is fantastic and it looks like Zowie potentially has a brilliant career ahead of him. It's got the same sort of feeling of isolation as Alien and 2001 but craps all over 2001 by actually being a likeable, unpretentious, watchable film and manages to be as tense as Alien without the need to explode William Hurt's chest and dismember almost the entire cast. A very simple sci-fi premise done very well which as with Soylent Green, Logan's Run etc leaves you questioning human morality long after the film's finished.

Really? I liked it but I wasn't exactly compelled. Paul verhoeven is a fecking weirdo as well. I think I was thinking of him saying "I like shex and I do a lot of shex and I do a lot of shex with a lot of different women" quite a lot throughout the film tbf.

Maybe it was because I havent really seen a good ww2 movie in a while. I definitely loved the 'spy' atmosphere throughout the whole movie, I liked the main female character a lot and the movie had, as you said, something of that Verhoeven weirdness in it. Not sure I really liked the ending but overall I thought it was a great movie.

Not yet. I want to get a PS3, not just a blu ray player, but the missus is saying no to that at the moment. Bugger.

I started ordering all my lovefilm movies in bluray now (whenever they had a bluray version) and I must say with some of the movies I wasnt really that impressed. I dont know what I expected but obviously it doesnt work with all movies, if there's just nothing to be 'blurayed', if the movie itself is not bluray material, then a dvd format seem to be sufficient. The buray animation movies are definitely amazing though.

Moon's excellent Spoony, Rockwell's performance is fantastic and it looks like Zowie potentially has a brilliant career ahead of him. It's got the same sort of feeling of isolation as Alien and 2001 but craps all over 2001 by actually being a likeable, unpretentious, watchable film and manages to be as tense as Alien without the need to explode William Hurt's chest and dismember almost the entire cast. A very simple sci-fi premise done very well which as with Soylent Green, Logan's Run etc leaves you questioning human morality long after the film's finished.

Dude I saw the trailer and I thought this is going to be a fantastic movie! Where did you watch it? It's not in the cinemas and dvd's not out yet?!

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - wonderfully touching tale of the Holocaust from the perspective of a 8 year old German boy. Slightly cliched and meant to be a bit of a tear-jerker but better than most Hollywood shite. The british accents for most of the german actors bothered me a bit, but the performances were genuinely nice, especially that of the lead child actor was great. Watch it !

Dude I saw the trailer and I thought this is going to be a fantastic movie! Where did you watch it? It's not in the cinemas and dvd's not out yet?!

:smirk:And when has that stopped the likes of us from watching a movie. There are watchable screen rips available but I'm waiting for a good quality one so as to not spoil this movie. Been waiting for it for ages now and the limited international release means its not going to come to theatres where I live. Feckin Shame !!

Try local arthouse cinemas, I think it's only going out on a very limited release so you'll most likely find it for a week or two only in the small arty cinema rather than the multiplex. It opened here in Singapore two weeks ago but only in a single cinema (The Picturehouse) which was packed out when I went.

:smirk:And when has that stopped the likes of us from watching a movie. There are watchable screen rips available but I'm waiting for a good quality one so as to not spoil this movie. Been waiting for it for ages now and the limited international release means its not going to come to theatres where I live. Feckin Shame !!

:smirk: you speak the truth my friend

however Im gonna wait for a decent rip as well, I only watch screeners if I dont care that much about the movie, but this one here deserves to be watched in very good quality Id say.

Try local arthouse cinemas, I think it's only going out on a very limited release so you'll most likely find it for a week or two only in the small arty cinema rather than the multiplex. It opened here in Singapore two weeks ago but only in a single cinema (The Picturehouse) which was packed out when I went.

That's where I luckily got to see Prestige when it first came out. But Moon has been released on July 17 2009, which is too late already, no artsy cinema is playing it I just checked. Will have to wait for the dvd.

Banlieue 13

French, semi-apocalyptic version of Fast and The Furious with less stupid car chases and more stupid but awesome parkour action. I liked the idea behind the film in that it's a sort of simpleton's description of the problems in the banlieues but the plot was rather silly in the end. I have to admit I enjoyed the film but I know it wasn't very good if that makes sense. I suppose it's a 6/10 but it's an enjoyable mindless action flick and definitely worth a watch if you're in the right mood.

Just watched the sequel, Ultimatum, and feck me that really is shit. It takes itself a bit more seriously and has fewer plotholes but is still crap so it just doesn't work. 4/10

Drag me to Hell - err...dunno...It wasn't scary, it had a few ludicrously OTT moments that you laugh at cos they're so stupid...not particularly well acted, except perhaps for Justin Long, who isn't really in it much anyway and certainly doesn't do anything...Decent ending but I saw it a mile off so I spent the last 20 minutes very aware of what was going to happen and just wished they'd get on with it....Couple of bits were jump worthy, The whole colour scheme was wrong though, it was filmed like Spiderman (which isn't a surprise obviously) but it just didn't work for a horror film, it made it incredibly cartoony... dunno...weird film, At one point a supposedly fearsome evil demon did an irish jig and then turned into a talking goat......Odd...5 i suppose..5.5??

Léon Just as good as it was the first time I saw it, if not better. I love this film.
10/10

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - My favourite in the Vengeance trilogy. Very quiet, slow affair compared to Oldboy, but great photography and a really gut wrenching story, with excellent performances. Really bleak and quite upsetting at times, the ending is really brutal. Reckon it'd be in my top 10 of the decade.

Don't understand the hype about Leon, I thought it was average at best

I loved Leon the first time I watched it when it came out. I thought the movie was just extra cool and especially Gary Oldman was fantastic. Im not sure if Id give it a 10 though if Id watch it again. Dont know.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - My favourite in the Vengeance trilogy. Very quiet, slow affair compared to Oldboy, but great photography and a really gut wrenching story, with excellent performances. Really bleak and quite upsetting at times, the ending is really brutal. Reckon it'd be in my top 10 of the decade.
I liked that one the least. Hard to cheese between Oldoby and Lady Vengeance for me.

I liked that one the least. Hard to cheese between Oldoby and Lady Vengeance for me.

Not seen Mr. Vengeance personally, but Lady Vengeance for me was much better than Oldboy. Perhaps it was overly hyped, and I don't think it helped that I alredy knew the twist (thanks every fecker who told me) beforehand, but Lady... felt like a much more enjoyable film for my tastes.

I loved Sympathy for Mr Vengeance..some truly brilliant scenes in it and a lot more measured and charachter based than the other films in the trilogy.

I watched Tales From Earthsea earlier (the dub unfortunately). Probably the least enjoyable Ghibli film I've watched. It lacked the Miyazaki magic for me.

I like Oldboy, but it's far more exaggerated than SFMV and difficult to take seriously. For me, Mr Vengeance is by far the most affecting and absorbing of the three films. Anytime I think of certain scenes I'm instantly taken back into the film and it makes me feel like shit. But also quite satisfying to feel that strongly about a film.

I.D. (1995)

As Ole said, beats the likes of Frodo and Danny Dyer acting tough. Also better than watching average allegorical movies in the sci fi genre.

I'll do a Geebs style review, though.

Did I like it? yes.

That is all.

Me too. I'm always worried by how attractive Natalie Portman is though. I suppose in my defence I first watched it when I was 13.

:nervous::confused::eek::wenger::annoyed:

I.D. (1995)

As Ole said, beats the likes of Frodo and Danny Dyer acting tough. Also better than watching average allegorical movies in the sci fi genre.

I'll do a Geebs style review, though.

Did I like it? yes.

That is all.

I've had it on vhs for fecking ages.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when they attend the first match. They're saying how much they fecking hate a player and how shit he is. Said player then scores a goal, and they go on about how much they love him and how great he is.

I do have one question about the ending though:
In the end, one of them becomes a skinhead. Are a fair amount of hooligans skinheads, so this is a 'natural' progression, or was he just trying to find some new way to fit into a group and be violent?

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when they attend the first match. They're saying how much they fecking hate a player and how shit he is. Said player then scores a goal, and they go on about how much they love him and how great he is.

I do have one question about the ending though:
In the end, one of them becomes a skinhead. Are a fair amount of hooligans skinheads, so this is a 'natural' progression, or was he just trying to find some new way to fit into a group and be violent?

Probably the latter. I think he just needed a fix. He was clearly addicted to the tribal element. . . perhaps more than the football itself, in the end he became a skinhead, whether he was undercover or not, he loved belonging to a group. I bet he'd have just as easily joined and then become addicted to the Blank Panther moment. But that's because I don't think he was from the same socio-political background as the others - they're clearly fodder for the BNP/NF ie white working class, uneducated and probably jobless from the inner cities. The film for me was just as much about addiction as anything else, though.

Where can I watch Moon?

I saw on IMDB that it had been released in the UK in July but i cant find it in any cinema... i looked to aquire it via other methods but i've been shocked at the little interest in this movie! It looks really good from the trailer and i really want to see it