Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

A friend of mine was an extra in that movie, and some scenes were shot 50 metres away from my places.:)

But it wasn't a great film,firstly because it was advocating revenge, it had no real end to it, plus it was far too long...

I'd give an arm to watch Spielberg at work

It was speculative and many find it incomplete since they omitted the Lillehammer issue but this was the work of only one of the various assassination groups set up then

I've already mentioned my unlike towards the end. Spielberg tried to makes it a semi-anticlimax kind of thing always and this time he could've changed the script from the novel and had his own

I should have taken FreakyJim's advise. Fountain was utter gash

I've seen 15mins of it. Seemed ok. . . just couldn't be arsed with the depressing love story.

Anyway, has any of you cnuts seen Das Leben der Anderen/The Days of Our Lives? Goodbye Lenin was quality, if it's anywhere near as good as that, it's a must watch.

er. . . I'm a retard. That was actually the movie I was meant to ask about. The Lives of Others.

:retard:

I have seen it.

Plech wrote a review which was spot on earlier in this thread.

German film about a Stasi secret policeman charged with eavesdropping on a potentially dissident writer and his famous actress girlfriend. I'm not going to tell you much more, go and see it while it's in the cinema, it is superb.

Great acting, flawless direction, best screenplay for years - watch out for the scene in the lift, a masterclass in screenwriting, about 4 sentences of beautiful naturalistic dialogue and the story is turned on its head. Masterful.

Only one moan, there's a resolution scene after the main story, about 10 minutes, it's not bad but it's more sentimental than the rest of the film, and totally unnecessary. You can walk out after the main climax - you'll know when that is - and will have lost nothing.

Deja Vu
Dir. Tony Scott.

Tony Scott is responsible for my of my all time most hated films - Domino.
So, with Tony Scott directing and Denzel Washington playing almost exactly the same role he always plays I wasn't expecting much. I was however surprised, shocked you might say.

Whoever wrote this, is obviously a fan of swiss cheese, because I cant remember a film in my lifetime with more plot holes in it than Deja Vu. How the feck did they think people would respond to a plot that mixes pseudo-science with trashy morals about 'destiny'? I dont know, but when you add this to Tony cockface Scott and his incessant love of sweeping, tiresome camera work and ridiculous sfx that cover every square inch of the two hour journey to predictability, it is somewhat awful.

Having said all that, there are miraculously some major plus points to it. It is very engaging all the way through, once they've shoved the giant plot hole down your throat, it is quite interesting. Turning into a sort of love story with different permutations presented as possibilities (though it's fairly obvious the route it's going down). The other plus point is Denzel Washington, he plays a character he's played a million times, but again somehow makes it fascinating to watch. He's exactly the same as the character he plays in The Inside Man.

Overal it's a load of shit, but it's an entertaining load of shit, rather like doing a big stinky turd then staring back down the toilet to admire it.

Deja Vu
Dir. Tony Scott.

Tony Scott is responsible for my of my all time most hated films - Domino.
So, with Tony Scott directing and Denzel Washington playing almost exactly the same role he always plays I wasn't expecting much. I was however surprised, shocked you might say.

Whoever wrote this, is obviously a fan of swiss cheese, because I cant remember a film in my lifetime with more plot holes in it than Deja Vu. How the feck did they think people would respond to a plot that mixes pseudo-science with trashy morals about 'destiny'? I dont know, but when you add this to Tony cockface Scott and his incessant love of sweeping, tiresome camera work and ridiculous sfx that cover every square inch of the two hour journey to predictability, it is somewhat awful.

Having said all that, there are miraculously some major plus points to it. It is very engaging all the way through, once they've shoved the giant plot hole down your throat, it is quite interesting. Turning into a sort of love story with different permutations presented as possibilities (though it's fairly obvious the route it's going down). The other plus point is Denzel Washington, he plays a character he's played a million times, but again somehow makes it fascinating to watch. He's exactly the same as the character he plays in The Inside Man.

Overal it's a load of shit, but it's an entertaining load of shit, rather like doing a big stinky turd then staring back down the toilet to admire it.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Oh and I liked Domino, even if it was only becuase Keira Knightley was very hot in it.

Watched This Is England, last night. I thought it was fantastic. Gave you an insight into the history of Skinhead culture and also loads of 80's nostalgia.

This is England looked good.

Dead Man's shoes, by the same director was a quality film as well.

dead_mans_shoes_poster.jpg

A friend of mine was an extra in that movie, and some scenes were shot 50 metres away from my places.:)

But it wasn't a great film,firstly because it was advocating revenge, it had no real end to it, plus it was far too long...

Advocating revenge? The whole point of the film was that getting into a cycle of revenge just leaves you morally compromised, corrupted and unable to even have sex with your wife without imagining violence.

It's an anti-climax, in the sense that he keeps imagining people getting blown to bits while he's trying to climax

KINGPIN

1002852.jpg
sport1.jpg

Kingpin

Watched it again last night, hilarious film by the Farelly brothers and one of the inspirations behind The Big Lebowski. Like most Farelly brothers films, it exploits the comic potential of having one really thick character, accompanied by an even thicker one.

Woody Harrelson is superb as washed-up alcoholic Roy Munson, one-time amateur bowling champion who had it all in his hands and blew it to such an extent that his fate coined the term "getting Munsoned" - ie having it all and blowing it. Roy glimpses a chance of redemption when he comes across an Amish bloke in a bowling-hall.

The film also has Vanessa Angel in it, who's not only quite ridiculously fit -

1419.jpg

I mean for feck's sake

- but puts in a class performance. It also has arguably Bill Murray's best ever performance, before he became a parody of himself and started going through entire films doing an impression of a wilted cauliflower.

cauliflower.jpg

Bill Murray, as he appeared in Lost in Translation and
Broken Flowers - both shit.

The film also manages to get more comic mileage out of a rubber hand than any other film, ever.

Best moments:

"We don't have a cow, we only have a bull"
The fight between Roy and Claudia
"Goodbye Mr. Rubberman! Goodbye whore!"

(Not so) Slightly offtopic, but a friend of mine just called me from Cannes, he's attending the festival as an HBO Central Europe exec. - they've just decided not to attend any screenings, but to drink Calvados in their suite all week.

Arrgh, makes me cringe, but to be honest I would do the same :devil:

black_sisters_revenge_lrg.jpg

Avoid this movie at all costs. Not only is it the worst blaxploitation movie I've ever seen, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If you ever come across this DVD, burn it, break it, do whatever you need to destroy it. It's fecking horrible.

Next

Las Vegas showroom magician Cris Johnson has a secret which is a gift and a curse which torments him: he can see a few minutes into the future. Sick of the examinations he underwent as a child and the interest of the government and medical establishment in his power, he lies low under an assumed name in Vegas, performing cheap tricks and living off small-time gambling "winnings." But when a terrorist group threatens to detonate a nuclear device in Los Angeles, government agent Callie Ferris must use all her wiles to capture Cris and convince him to help her stop the cataclysm.

I liked this one,i recommend

Men in minimal clothing fighting men in costumes. Dramatic music, cringe worthy dialogue and some scenes in slow motion. Essentially WWF set in Ancient Greece. Decent entertainment but an overrated movie whose greatest legacy will be the 'This is Spartaa' thread on Redcafe.

5/10

Men in minimal clothing fighting men in costumes. Dramatic music, cringe worthy dialogue and some scenes in slow motion. Essentially WWF set in Ancient Greece. Decent entertainment but an overrated movie whose greatest legacy will be the 'This is Spartaa' thread on Redcafe.

5/10

I would've given it 3.Utter shit.Waste of time.

I've never understood what exactly was so impressive about the Spartan-Persian war story.
300 men fight 1 million men and they're all killed.Which is exactly what you'd expect to happen.

Harsh Times

(dunno if someone's already posted this but feck it i couldnt be arsed to look)

cast - chirstian bale, eva longoria, freddie rodriquez

plot - bale and rodriquez in a car most of the time, driving around LA, smoking weed, getting pissed, getting beaten up, beating other people, lookin for a job, fecking their girlfriend/fiancee, travelling to mexico, bale going psycho. end

rating - 8/10. Top notch performance from bale, rodriguez does well enough to support him, but bale steals the show. Just watch it for his performance.

Harsh Times

(dunno if someone's already posted this but feck it i couldnt be arsed to look)

cast - chirstian bale, eva longoria, freddie rodriquez

plot - bale and rodriquez in a car most of the time, driving around LA, smoking weed, getting pissed, getting beaten up, beating other people, lookin for a job, fecking their girlfriend/fiancee, travelling to mexico, bale going psycho. end

rating - 8/10. Top notch performance from bale, rodriguez does well enough to support him, but bale steals the show. Just watch it for his performance.

I couldn't put my finger on exactly why but this film bored the arse off me as it wended its tedious way to an ending that you could have guessed during the opening titles. Maybe that is why. Bale was good as were quite a few performances. 5/10

Went to see Pirates of the Carribean today. Was quite good, but very slow to start with. Really got going towards the end and Keira Knightly was nice.
7/8 out of 10