Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

American Beauty was unwatchable, but Little Miss Sunshine has the best script in recent years and a great ensemble cast.
`

I more or less agree. I didn't like LMS that much but compared to the dross that has been released recently is was at least watchable. I hated American Beauty.

It was a cheap Star Wars rippoff in a slightly different setting.

You can find parallels with all sorts of films. I just didn't think it was half as bad as many reviewers made it out to be. Not to mention that the demographic for this film was kids who seem to like it quite a bit with the exception of a few who don't think it did justice to the books.

Went to see this in Bath last week.

Girl selling the tickets asked if we were on Orange - which I am - so she said we could do a BOGOF. I didn't know it applied to the evening as well.

I thought it was extremely well done.

From a shallow point of view, I didn't like Leonidas's beard, and I loathed David Wenham's narration.

Stelios stood out for me.

Best bit was when the Queen said to Theron "This won't be over quickly and you won't enjoy it." :D You go girl.

Did Ephialates develop his hump? Otherwise, why wasn't he chucked over a cliff at birth?

The most stomach wrenching bit for me wasn't the violence but those diseased old men slavering over the oracle.

The funny thing is that we had to leave the cinema, because we couldn't stop laughing, because it seemed painfully outlandishly cheesy.

I watched it recently at home without drinks, and it was an enjoyable outlandishly cheesy B-movie, after all.

I've thought it was a bit cheap, a wonderfully made movie with an abysmal script and a final turn so outrageously bad, that I was praying during the movie - please don't go there.

The supporting cast was great though.

5.5/10.

Agreed although I would have given it a slightly higher rating.

You can find parallels with all sorts of films. I just didn't think it was half as bad as many reviewers made it out to be. Not to mention that the demographic for this film was kids who seem to like it quite a bit with the exception of a few who don't think it did justice to the books.

I see. The reviews here in Hungary were very much in favour of the movie, basically because it was filmed here.

Hell, they even gave a good review to I Spy(don't know if you remember that, Eddie Murphy-Owen Wilson)...

I see. The reviews here in Hungary were very much in favour of the movie, basically because it was filmed here.

Hell, they even gave a good review to I Spy(don't know if you remember that, Eddie Murphy-Owen Wilson)...

All the ones I read here (admittedly only about 2) hated it. Which often happens when 50 year old arty pseuds review a film meant for 8 year olds.

I Spy was truly terrible.

Remember when Matt Damon's kid jumped into thepool and died? He appeared to have been electrocuted. How? Why? By who? Acidentally? On purpose? I don't know.

Later, George Clooney, wearing a fake beard, went to Beirut, where he met a man on a pier with an Arabic name who spoke with an American accent. They parted on good terms, whereupon the man had him kidnapped and pulled his fingernails out. Clooney was rescued from death by a Hizbollah cleric. Why did any of those things happen?

Meanwhile, an old man was intriguing with an Emir's son to gain the succession. (who the feck was he? CIA? Big Oil? Assistant manager of Plymouth Argyle? All three? None?) He apparently succeeded. How? Why?

Then there was this lawyer, who was working for the government, but also for an oil company but also getting inside info off the company it was merging with, seemingly to use against both the other company and his own law firm. Didn't really get that bit, amazingly.

I was just told - like half an hour ago - to go and see this movie and that I would enjoy it.

If you didn't understand it, what chance have I got??

The Aristocrats

thumb_posh_tweedy.jpg

Documentary about a joke comedians tell each other. Each has their own way of telling it, usually as depraved and disgusting as possible.

In the film, they all talk about the joke, tell the joke, laugh at the joke.

Bit boring really...it's not even that good a joke.

I saw The Queen last night and Catch A Fire this weekend. Reviews to follow.

The Aristocrats

thumb_posh_tweedy.jpg

Documentary about a joke comedians tell each other. Each has their own way of telling it, usually as depraved and disgusting as possible.

The Aristocats... now there's a good film!

The Aristocrats

thumb_posh_tweedy.jpg

Saw a few minutes of it. All seemed a bit pointless.

I was just told - like half an hour ago - to go and see this movie and that I would enjoy it.

If you didn't understand it, what chance have I got??

None.

It's not that tough to understand, give it a watch.

Yes it is.

I saw The Queen last night and Catch A Fire this weekend. Reviews to follow.

I rented The Queen too. Along with The Prestige.

Er..thought the Queen was ok, maybe 6½ out of 10. It was interesting to see how something like that may go down behind the scenes but ultimately it was just spaculation.

Mirren is very good, not amazing. Don`t remember her Maj having norks like that. She reminded me of Martina Navratilova at 70, sometimes, with those huge glasses. Campbell and Phillip were made to look complete nobs at every occasion so they got something right. Didn`t like how the Queen Mum was something of a joke figure. She was one step from appearing in Are YOu Being Served. The Tony Blair character, I kept expecting to burst into full on Rik Mayall and his Alan B`Stard character such was their physical resemblance.

Overall OK.

I saw Blades of Glory last week... tired, predictable mesh of Zoolander and every movie Will Ferrell has ever done. I laughed a bit to be fair, so if you like Will Ferrell you probably will too, and it's better than the pile of shit that was Talladega Nights, for a start.

On Saturday I saw Hot Fuzz... it's a slow burner but the second hour was absolutely hilarious. Some great laughs in it, I would definitely recommend it.

The Queen

Not an easy film to make given the subject matter. Everyone has an opinion so it will be hard to please everyone, or indeed anyone totally.

First the criticisms. Firstly I thought that the decision to keep William and harry out of the film to such an extent was a bit of a cop out, possibly in an attempt to keep the Royals onside as much as possible. Not that they needed major dramatic parts in the film but given that they were actually at Balmoral at the time I'm sure they were more involved. Such omissions gave it a stage play feel at times. Secondly I though that while the film managed not to be too opinionated it did seem to be very kind to Charles. If a true account of the events then at the very least he is a sniveling little boy who can't say no to Mummy and he was shown as some sort of subversive "hero" within the household and the only one vaguely in touch with the British people. You could also perhaps quibble that many of the secondary Royals were shallow caricatures but without making it a boring 4hr epic I'm not sure how this might have been achieved while telling the story. I don't think that any of the members of the Royals have much to complain about here.

The only other criticism is that the film will probably not connect as well with the overseas market due to the filmmakers choice of time line. Diana's death was an important and in some ways pivotal event for the British Royals but far more so for Brits themselves. More of a minor quibble than anything else I guess and I liked the film the way it was.

Now the good stuff. Mirren was simply superb. Despite not exactly being the spitting image of The Queen you were never watching Helen Mirren act, you were watching the real thing. She captured the essence of HRH to a T. One of the most deserved Oscars in years.

The film wasn't quite as good partly because it was dealing with events so important to people in Britain. Reality had to, by necessity, drive the plot in a way that wasn't quite as interesting as a fiction might have been. That said it was a valiant attempt to fairly represent all involved in the momentous events surrounding Diana's death and one of the few films that has engaged me from beginning to end for some time. The disconnection of the Royals was captured perfectly as was Blair's role in helping to make it less of a mess. If you haven't seen it I would do so ASAP.

Film: 8/10
Helen Mirren: 9.5/10

Exactly. She was perfectly cast as the Queen Of The South who made a complete Falkirk of the whole thing until the best PM in Livingstone memory saved them.

I'm very very sorry.

I'd get my coat but I suspect you have already made off with it.

The Aristocrats

thumb_posh_tweedy.jpg

It's a great joke, the first time I saw South Park's version I pissed myself. Literally.

It stopped being funny after watching the doco though. Who the feck makes a feature length doco involving 500 re-tellings of one joke?

Serenity

A bunch of hillbillies in a spaceship do battle with Patrice Evra in a bid to avoid, er, doing battle with Patrice Evra. Meanwhile some other mob go about eating everyone.
Yes, it's that stupid

6/10

Serenity

A bunch of hillbillies in a spaceship do battle with Patrice Evra in a bid to avoid, er, doing battle with Patrice Evra. Meanwhile some other mob go about eating everyone.
Yes, it's that stupid

6/10

I thought it was awful too. Looked like a TVM.

Mr Bean

Has anyone seen the new Mr Bean' Holiday.

FFS the worst and most boring flim I have seen in age.Never in my life I have felt that I wasted money and time of my life for a movie.I was quite a fan of the Mr Bean series and the first part but this was beyond pathetic.

Hot Fuzz ..
brilliant movie
loved it

Mr Bean was boring .. i didnt watch it .. stopped midway ..
black adder > mr bean

Just watched This is England.

Tough movie to watch, not a feel good by any stretch of the imagination. Great acting on a very tough subject.

Highly recommend it.

The Queen

Not an easy film to make given the subject matter. Everyone has an opinion so it will be hard to please everyone, or indeed anyone totally.

First the criticisms. Firstly I thought that the decision to keep William and harry out of the film to such an extent was a bit of a cop out, possibly in an attempt to keep the Royals onside as much as possible. Not that they needed major dramatic parts in the film but given that they were actually at Balmoral at the time I'm sure they were more involved. Such omissions gave it a stage play feel at times. Secondly I though that while the film managed not to be too opinionated it did seem to be very kind to Charles. If a true account of the events then at the very least he is a sniveling little boy who can't say no to Mummy and he was shown as some sort of subversive "hero" within the household and the only one vaguely in touch with the British people. You could also perhaps quibble that many of the secondary Royals were shallow caricatures but without making it a boring 4hr epic I'm not sure how this might have been achieved while telling the story. I don't think that any of the members of the Royals have much to complain about here.

The only other criticism is that the film will probably not connect as well with the overseas market due to the filmmakers choice of time line. Diana's death was an important and in some ways pivotal event for the British Royals but far more so for Brits themselves. More of a minor quibble than anything else I guess and I liked the film the way it was.

Now the good stuff. Mirren was simply superb. Despite not exactly being the spitting image of The Queen you were never watching Helen Mirren act, you were watching the real thing. She captured the essence of HRH to a T. One of the most deserved Oscars in years.

The film wasn't quite as good partly because it was dealing with events so important to people in Britain. Reality had to, by necessity, drive the plot in a way that wasn't quite as interesting as a fiction might have been. That said it was a valiant attempt to fairly represent all involved in the momentous events surrounding Diana's death and one of the few films that has engaged me from beginning to end for some time. The disconnection of the Royals was captured perfectly as was Blair's role in helping to make it less of a mess. If you haven't seen it I would do so ASAP.

Film: 8/10
Helen Mirren: 9.5/10

I agree with all you've said, but would give the film 7 out of 10.

Has anyone seen the new Mr Bean' Holiday.

FFS the worst and most boring flim I have seen in age.Never in my life I have felt that I wasted money and time of my life for a movie.I was quite a fan of the Mr Bean series and the first part but this was beyond pathetic.

If I had a gun at hand while watching that movie I'd have blown my brain out. It was the most painful movie to watch for sure.

That's when I learned not to go the movies after a United game - we watched it after the Bolton game, we were as happy as one can be, and that "movie" almost killed the night for us.

Braindead

I can see why this film became a horror/comedy classic, it has hilarious sequences and moments of brilliance, but even at 100 min its far too long. It's like Kill Bill in that respect. No story and much repetition.

7/10

Braindead

I can see why this film became a horror/comedy classic, it has hilarious sequences and moments of brilliance, but even at 100 min its far too long. It's like Kill Bill in that respect. No story and much repetition.

7/10

How the feck can you compare Braindead with Kill Bill????!!! :confused:

Kill Bill....No story? Are you having a laugh???

P.S. Braindead was funny as feck.

How the feck can you compare Braindead with Kill Bill????!!! :confused:

Kill Bill....No story? Are you having a laugh???

P.S. Braindead was funny as feck.

They are similar in that respect that neither film had anything else but the most basic story and both are repetitive as hell.

Sorry, but don't rate Kill Bill at all.

They are similar in that respect that neither film had anything else but the most basic story and both are repetitive as hell.

Sorry, but don't rate Kill Bill at all.

Yeah OK then, if you like.

Your loss.

If I had a gun at hand while watching that movie I'd have blown my brain out. It was the most painful movie to watch for sure.

That's when I learned not to go the movies after a United game - we watched it after the Bolton game, we were as happy as one can be, and that "movie" almost killed the night for us.
:lol:
Exactly.

When me and my mates came out of the theater after watching the movie, everything in life seemed dull and boring .FFS I was feeling sad for a day or so. Life just seemed so slow after watching the movie.

If I was ever to suggest a movie to an enemy,I would certainly suggest Mr Bean.

Saw Spiderman 3 on Friday. Wasn't as good as the others. A bit soppy in many ways. Seemed to focus more on relationships than anything else. Kirsten is still as fine as ever though.